Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

omg chael crash posted:

Is the antiquities system fun and/or worth it?

its fun if you dont grind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

omg chael crash posted:

Is the antiquities system fun and/or worth it?
Fun, not really, though I don't think it's unfun either. Worth it, maybe.

The concept underlying the antiquity system is kinda fun if you're into it, but the scrying game is clearly meant to be bypassed with skill points, so it's more conceptually cool than actually fun. The digging minigame is a bit better balanced, vaguely engaging but still simple enough that you don't dread it. The real problem, though, is the lead drop rates are all over the place so doing what you find can be fine, but to actually get good things out of it you need to grind in the specific places you look up on guides on the internet.

Everything from it besides motifs is bound, so if you have the time some of the mythics can be worth it, they're quite powerful and there's no other way to get them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IMO, It's fun once you get to being able to dig up purps, because a lot of those are furniture you can display. Before that, it's an slogging grind.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I enjoy antiquities for the treasure-hunt aspect, as a way of taking a break from other activities. Every five days or so I'll just look at my antiquities list for anything that's expiring in ten days or less, which is usually five or six items, and go knock those out. Get some cash, some furniture, a little puzzle time, the back to whatever I was doing before (or on to whatever map icon has distracted me).

Looking for a specific thing, as I am still doing for the Pale Order ring component, is a grind for sure. But this is the first lead I've ever purposely done grind for that's taken more than ten minutes. It's definitely worth getting the skill line IMO.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, I worked on it for a few hours last night while listening to a podcast. Got both skills up to 4, can’t say I yet hate it or anything

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm amazingly terrible when it comes to finding the glowing dig spot. I have to do it at in-game nighttime to see it better.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm amazingly terrible when it comes to finding the glowing dig spot. I have to do it at in-game nighttime to see it better.
This might seem like a silly question, but apparently some people miss it. You use the tool that gives you a glowy trail that tells you where to go, right? Unless the terrain is really bad, triangulating with it is pretty effective even if the cooldown is annoying.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Do you mean using a tool once I arrive at the site? No, I just run around the highlighted area until I find the dig spot.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Use the Eye when you’re inside the zone and it’ll give you a glowing pointer in the direction of the dig spot.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Well I just learned something. I had no idea, I can't believe I missed that in the tutorial quests, and I've done it with like 3 characters lol.
I really appreciate the info, I hated the back and forth searching I was doing. Gods I feel so stupid right now

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Are goons still pretty active in this game? Reading over the OP it seems like the game has some neat systems in place and might be worth checking out.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Something that confused me was the shape of the pointer. I was looking at it like a comet <=) this way to the spot, but in reality it’s like a weirdly tapered arrow (=> this way to the spot

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Hope that makes sense

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, it's backwards from my intuition too. I still forget sometimes, the only way to be sure is to stand still when you use it, then the part pointing away from you is the one you want.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

omg chael crash posted:

Something that confused me was the shape of the pointer. I was looking at it like a comet <=) this way to the spot, but in reality it’s like a weirdly tapered arrow (=> this way to the spot

It is a comet just on the outbound trip. 😜

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

It is a comet just on the outbound trip. 😜

Alright smarty pants

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Been playing through the Blackwood DLC and it’s kind of …boring?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

omg chael crash posted:

Been playing through the Blackwood DLC and it’s kind of …boring?

i felt the same way about greymoor. i had more fun when i created a new character to run through it for the first time because i wasent steamrolling everything with my main character.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Bazanga posted:

Are goons still pretty active in this game? Reading over the OP it seems like the game has some neat systems in place and might be worth checking out.

Pc, no. Not sure about consoles.

It's a fun game if you like Elder Scrolls and the population is decent if you like group stuff. Tons of quests, some really good DLCs: Wrothgar and Dark Brotherhood are my personal faves.

Mobs are shared, so if you don't want to group for everything, you don't have too. Dungeons and raids are the only things that require it, I think.

There's PvP too, but I don't do it, so have no opinion on it.

All in all, there are worse games out there.

Crancherry fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

There’s, like, maybe 3 of us on PS4/PS5 and we never play together

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
PS4 player here.
So companion Mirri is totally fine with me stealing recipes (I can't resist) but I lose rep with her if I pick bugs.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

For anyone curious about trader prices:
https://twitter.com/JHartEllis/status/1452826438533582858
42.5Million is not enough for a trader in Mournhold.
30.3Million is needed for a trader in Wayrest.

That's over 60-100K per guild member per week depending on how full the guild is for a top spot trader. Absolutely ridiculous.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's over 60-100K per guild member per week depending on how full the guild is for a top spot trader. Absolutely ridiculous.

Nice to see Jhart is still the best dude GM of any trading guild in ESO. Seriously the guy shared more tips and info, strategies to make gold, you name it, when I played, than any other player in the game. His guild was/is Spicy Economics, and they used to be a fixture in Mournhold back in the day.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

:stare:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hector Delgado posted:

Well I just learned something. I had no idea, I can't believe I missed that in the tutorial quests, and I've done it with like 3 characters lol.
I really appreciate the info, I hated the back and forth searching I was doing. Gods I feel so stupid right now

lmfao you poor bastard

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Hector Delgado posted:

PS4 player here.
So companion Mirri is totally fine with me stealing recipes (I can't resist) but I lose rep with her if I pick bugs.

She's also totally fine if you rip an enemy's neck out with your giant vampire fangs, but get ready to hear about it if you pull out the Blade of Woe :jerkbag: Still far better then Bastian Hallix, the most gormless moron in the world. Also, it's not all bugs, just butterflies and torchbugs (aka the useful ones)

Okay, so I might be a moron, but I bought what I thought was a stack of 20 Witches' Festival Writs from a guild trader (1750 unit price, 35000 total price), but I've only received one in the mail. Do writs just not stack like that? I've never bought a stack of anything from a guild before, is there a delay before getting the next item? My mail isn't full or anything, and I changed zones a few times.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cygna posted:

Okay, so I might be a moron, but I bought what I thought was a stack of 20 Witches' Festival Writs from a guild trader (1750 unit price, 35000 total price), but I've only received one in the mail. Do writs just not stack like that? I've never bought a stack of anything from a guild before, is there a delay before getting the next item? My mail isn't full or anything, and I changed zones a few times.
Writs don't stack. The per unit price is per writ voucher. You bought a single 20 voucher writ. At least you bought it a roughly market price.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Writs don't stack. The per unit price is per writ voucher. You bought a single 20 voucher writ. At least you bought it a roughly market price.

Ohh :doh: I was wondering if that might be it, but thought "no, that's dumb, why would it work like that?" Ah well. Getting this "Witch" title is going to be VERY expensive if I don't start getting more writ drops soon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You get a hollowjack motif out, I think, as well which should cover some of the cost. I haven't done mine yet, so I don't know if it's a chance or a guaranteed drop.
You can get some money back by selling the stuff you can buy with the vouchers too, or get some storage chests if you don't have them already.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Do I have to do the writs this year, or can I put them in my bank until next year? I have a ton of cooking writs but never leveled cooking :(

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Do I have to do the writs this year, or can I put them in my bank until next year? I have a ton of cooking writs but never leveled cooking :(

Cooking is super easy to level. Just grind out the highest-level alcohol you can make, increase the provisioning skill, then grind out the new highest-level alcohol you can make. If you've already got the ingredients and skill points stockpiled, it takes like 20 minutes to get to level 50.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Hexenritter posted:

lmfao you poor bastard

Yeah, I figured the goal was to narrow the search area down, then look for the dig spot manually. So I'd get there, start a North-South run back and forth til I found it, like a treasure hunt. It sucked. Now it's like 4 minutes lol.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cygna posted:

She's also totally fine if you rip an enemy's neck out with your giant vampire fangs, but get ready to hear about it if you pull out the Blade of Woe :jerkbag: Still far better then Bastian Hallix, the most gormless moron in the world.

I'm still surprised there aren't any alternative voicepack/skin DLCs for companions. Please let me replace Bastian with Darien Gautier or Mizzik Thunderboots or pretty much anyone else.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ugh, is there any way to see when the cooldown for the boss kill for this even happens?

I've cleaned out three delves over the last three hours and still no tickets

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I have so many things that I think might sell sitting in my bank but I never, ever feel like engaging with this games guild/AH system

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Taerkar posted:

Ugh, is there any way to see when the cooldown for the boss kill for this even happens?

I've cleaned out three delves over the last three hours and still no tickets

the ticket reset time is at daily reset, 6am GMT I think. you only get two tickets a day from first boss of any type you kill. So if you got tickets from a world boss, for example, the delve boss won't give you more.

The first of each boss type does give a golden plunder skull, though.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm still surprised there aren't any alternative voicepack/skin DLCs for companions. Please let me replace Bastian with Darien Gautier or Mizzik Thunderboots or pretty much anyone else.

Cities are like people, you know. They :commissar:

omg chael crash posted:

I have so many things that I think might sell sitting in my bank but I never, ever feel like engaging with this games guild/AH system

I was never going to either, but then I found out that I could buy style motif pages on them, and it was all downhill from there

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Cygna posted:

Cooking is super easy to level. Just grind out the highest-level alcohol you can make, increase the provisioning skill, then grind out the new highest-level alcohol you can make. If you've already got the ingredients and skill points stockpiled, it takes like 20 minutes to get to level 50.

Oh! I just assumed I wouldn’t have enough time. Thank you for the tip!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

the ticket reset time is at daily reset, 6am GMT I think. you only get two tickets a day from first boss of any type you kill. So if you got tickets from a world boss, for example, the delve boss won't give you more.

The first of each boss type does give a golden plunder skull, though.

Can't be though. I last did a delve yesterday around... 2ish pm Eastern and finally just got another delve boss ticket. Due to limited time I don't do world bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Taerkar posted:

Can't be though. I last did a delve yesterday around... 2ish pm Eastern and finally just got another delve boss ticket. Due to limited time I don't do world bosses.
Did you loot the previous delve bosses today? I don't know what to say other than it is at daily reset. I've had days where I stayed up late got my tickets an hour before reset and then got the next days right after reset.