Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

Now somebody sell me on the  polishing cloth.

The New iRag: Resolutionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
My lightly customized 14 inch that i ordered ~30m after the keynote just shipped. Expected delivery is now Nov. 2, which beats the Nov. 5-10 they promised :woop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh, "helló" has an accent now?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bad Purchase posted:

Mostly true, I was (over)reacting about the notch because people told me the same thing about the iphone notch -- it's invisible, you'll get used to it, etc. Well, I didn't get used to it. But it's also a minor complaint, kinda like the touch bar on my current mbp which does not have a physical escape key (a good example of Apple not knowing what it's doing). But in this case I assumed the worst about how the laptop notch would work and I was wrong.

Now somebody sell me on the  polishing cloth.

I commend you for your ability to change your opinion.

I happen to have that cloth because it came with my 2020 iMac. I get that it's the new "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the wheels or AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the stand" filler joke for every single podcast over the next 5 years, but that being said, it's nice enough. It's less soft and also thinner than the other 50 microfiber cloths I have, so you have to apply less pressure to get things off the displays and it's the only one that's approved for nanotexture displays, so whatever display you have, you can clean it with this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought the display with the uneven bezels (thick on top, thin on sides) when the notch is being masked off would look weird and un-centered, but the 2018 MBPs literally look exactly like that already.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

you're saying it wrong
                                                                                                                    /

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I want an M1 MAX in a Mac Mini case - I already have a nice big monitor and keyboard, and the Perma-Remote situation I'm finding myself in means portability is a non-issue.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rahu posted:

My lightly customized 14 inch that i ordered ~30m after the keynote just shipped. Expected delivery is now Nov. 2, which beats the Nov. 5-10 they promised :woop:

I'm hoping my BTO 14 inch also bumps up; it fell in the Nov 18-26 window.

The impatient part of me wants to just cancel it and go for the 16-inch model with same specs, that I could pick up today, and is only $200 more than the BTO 14. But I really like the 14's size.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Coffee Jones posted:

I want an M1 MAX in a Mac Mini case - I already have a nice big monitor and keyboard, and the Perma-Remote situation I'm finding myself in means portability is a non-issue.

Yeah this is where I am too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Apple missed an opportunity to sell the Apple ™ emoji.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Coffee Jones posted:

yep. Want to untether my MacBook and pull the bullshit like zoom off of it but no such luck and I'm late to the hackintosh party so

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I think it cycles through every language. “Helló” is Hungarian according to my quick Google search.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The one thing I kind of miss from earlier laptops was the ability to throw them into a dock and just use 100% external peripherals with the laptop closed/folded away. Sure I appreciate that my laptop has an amazing screen and I guess it is kind of a waste not to use it, but I've almost had to shoehorn the display into my workflow at work with two external monitors because it doesn't fit their aspect ratio or size. Of course the M1 fixed that problem by just not letting me use two external monitors :q:

It's such a small niche wish I have, I expect absolutely zero percent of people to agree with me here.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Quite the opposite, I 100% agree. Being able to yank my mbp off the stand it currently occupies in my triple-stand would allow another 24" vertical monitor which would be perfect.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Coffee Jones posted:

Yup leave it in high perf mode all day. If they can give it high perf mode in a 16” body I bet they could get it there with acceptable fan noise in a mini body.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

After waffling and getting the higher end 14 inch in-stock the day after announcement and getting a Nov 10-17 ship date, there's part of me that's considering canceling the order again and ordering for pickup when I could get it as soon as tomorrow

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
My shipment got delayed because of an airplane mechanical failure.
New delivery date: unknown

NOOOOOOOooooooooo

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Riven posted:

Yup leave it in high perf mode all day. If they can give it high perf mode in a 16” body I bet they could get it there with acceptable fan noise in a mini body.

high perf only available on the 16 means the power consumption must be between 100-140W which is a lot of heat even for the mac mini.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Buff Hardback posted:

After waffling and getting the higher end 14 inch in-stock the day after announcement and getting a Nov 10-17 ship date, there's part of me that's considering canceling the order again and ordering for pickup when I could get it as soon as tomorrow

I just did the same. Cancelled and then choose pickup. Felt fancy and added the polishing cloth.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Just got mine. They didn’t need a signature but the UPS guy said I had to be there in person to take delivery. Just fyi for anyone expecting a delivery today

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'ma wait until my nearest Fruit Stand gets some 16-inch / I don't give a poo poo how many cores / 1 TB SSD configs in stock, then descend upon them with credit card in hand and get it that way.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Let’s rock and roll.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The notch seems fine in irl pictures

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

I'ma wait until my nearest Fruit Stand gets some 16-inch / I don't give a poo poo how many cores / 1 TB SSD configs in stock, then descend upon them with credit card in hand and get it that way.

A lot of the stores have 16" models with 1TB SSD in stock today, available for pickup.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

hatty posted:

The notch seems fine in irl pictures

It still looks odd to me, but I can also tell you that I wouldn’t care after 2 minutes of use. I don’t click on menus THAT often.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

This is a beefy boy. I imagine the 16" is gargantuan

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I can’t wait to see what the next mini/air/13” mbp end up being. It’s clear that their releases were a stopgap to get the ball rolling on the AS transition, and I imagine that we’ll see form factor changes for all of them.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

TheMadMilkman posted:

I can’t wait to see what the next mini/air/13” mbp end up being. It’s clear that their releases were a stopgap to get the ball rolling on the AS transition, and I imagine that we’ll see form factor changes for all of them.

Personally I am waiting for a new mini, especially if it comes with the max chip in it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Nice, they have courier delivery from Apple Store so I can get it tomorrow for $9 instead of waiting a month for my pre-order. I could get it today even, but I'm running errands all day :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SourKraut posted:

A lot of the stores have 16" models with 1TB SSD in stock today, available for pickup.

Weirdly, there's one and only 16" config that seems to be carried by any of the stores within a couple hours of me, and they all have the same one -- 4TB 64GB. Which is... very expensive, even with discounts.

tragick
Apr 2, 2003

I have to use a lot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain.

I know it's MacBook Pro day but I just got a blue M1 iMac and it is beautiful!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Small White Dragon posted:

Weirdly, there's one and only 16" config that seems to be carried by any of the stores within a couple hours of me, and they all have the same one -- 4TB 64GB. Which is... very expensive, even with discounts.

That's really weird. The only one that has that configuration here is 400 miles away. Everything closer just has the base 16".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
While all of you guys are geeking out over your new M1 Pro or Max chips, I'm still trying to get used to this first gen M1 chip in my Mac Mini refurb.

So I have what appears to be an iCloud Drive 'folder' in my Finder sidebar which has Desktop and Documents folders, but also anything else I've added via my iOS devices. Yet I am unable to drag anything into this drive. Is that right? We're still limited (on laptops and desktops at least) to storing cloud stuff only in Desktop and Documents? I know it shouldn't make a difference whether I dump stuff in a dedicated cloud directory or my Desktop 'folder' but this system never seems to gel with my workflow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tragick posted:

I know it's MacBook Pro day but I just got a blue M1 iMac and it is beautiful!

post pics

everybody post pics

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Question for folks. How many new wallpapers are there with the OS? Just the new purple or other stuff?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

While all of you guys are geeking out over your new M1 Pro or Max chips, I'm still trying to get used to this first gen M1 chip in my Mac Mini refurb.

So I have what appears to be an iCloud Drive 'folder' in my Finder sidebar which has Desktop and Documents folders, but also anything else I've added via my iOS devices. Yet I am unable to drag anything into this drive. Is that right? We're still limited (on laptops and desktops at least) to storing cloud stuff only in Desktop and Documents? I know it shouldn't make a difference whether I dump stuff in a dedicated cloud directory or my Desktop 'folder' but this system never seems to gel with my workflow.

Not to say you can’t get help here, but there’s a dedicated MacOS thread as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005

tragick
Apr 2, 2003

I have to use a lot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain.

Ok Comboomer posted:

post pics

everybody post pics
ok!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

LionArcher posted:

Here's my question, for a few years it seemed like everyone was putting Dbrand skins on their laptops, but it now seems like that trend is going away? how about this thread? Do folks in professional enivorments do that or not? I do it because it keeps the computer cleaner (on the bottom and top, not on the trackpad or palm rests).

Dealing with a company that has a few (hundreds+) macbooks - they first allowed people to go sticker wild. A few years down the road (ie: last year) they started to trade them in for upgrades and discovered the hell of stickers and places like Apple wouldn't trade in devices with them on. $50k of trade-ins denied later and new no-sticker rules came into existence and they hired someone to basically sit there with orange goo-be-gone and remove them all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

unknown posted:

they hired someone to basically sit there with orange goo-be-gone and remove them all.

How do I get in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Not having a numpad would kill me.