Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

This one dates from the end of December, and here's Q-Rais' author comment on it:
The cats represent 'past,' 'present,' and 'future'; this comic is my way of expressing that thing we call 'the new year.'
...No, that's a big lie. I wasn't really thinking about anything like that when I drew it, but when I looked at it again I realized it was possible to see it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^
Chako doesn't make any more goddamn sense with Q-Rais commentary, but I appreciate it all the same.

Nonsense. I have never seen Luann attempt to educate any living being.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 26, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Back, catching up on dailies:

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I have never heard the term pissy-pay

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Feb 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 20-21, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

I know it was supposed to be a gut punch, but it really looks like Ten just punched Oliver in the dick.

Also these kids have names now:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Julet Esqu posted:

^^^
Chako doesn't make any more goddamn sense with Q-Rais commentary, but I appreciate it all the same.
Right - while sometimes weird-looking Chakos are explainable if you get in a Chako headspace (the lamprey dragon, rabbit coffee), this is not one of those times. Even the author doesn't know what the gently caress.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

:confused:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 26, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Magnificent

huge David Lynch vibes too, both the comic itself and the explanation.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: living in sin (April 12-18, 2004)

What was going on in 2004 with regards to marriage? 🤔

quote:

In February and March 2004, city officials in San Francisco issued marriage licenses to about 4000 same-sex couples before being ordered to stop by the California Supreme Court.[25] On February 20, 2004, the clerk in Sandoval County, New Mexico, issued marriage licenses to same-sex couples for a day until the state attorney general issued an opinion that they were "invalid under state law".[26] Similar actions occurred in New Paltz, New York (February 27); Multnomah County, Oregon (March 3); and Asbury Park, New Jersey (March 8).[27]
(Source)

At the same time, there was the Federal Marriage Amdendment thing:

quote:

In his State of the Union address on January 20, 2004, President Bush alluded to the recent court decision in Massachusetts ordering the state to recognize same-sex marriages beginning in May: "Activist judges ... have begun redefining marriage by court order, without regard for the will of the people and their elected representatives.... If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process."[35] On February 24, after the same Massachusetts court reiterated that it was insisting on marriage and that civil unions were insufficient, Bush expressed support for this amendment for the first time.[36]

So yeah, it was quite the hot topic at the time.

Sheldon Dome showed up in late 2000: when Coney was refused classification as "multicultural" when signing up for youth hunting league, Sheldon (the county recreation administrator) refused to budge, and as a result Kevin challenged him for the post in the upcoming election, which was neck-to-neck, but in the end Sheldon won. (Though it was revealed he'd fathered a child with his campaign manager, a weasel, thus his involvement in this storyline.) (October 24-November 8, 2000.)

Sheldon showed up again when it was thought Rudy was younger than he actually is (and thus couldn't be part of his hunting team) as a luddite who refused to use computers to look up information (Rudy's birth certificate); Rudy tricked him into thinking a tablet PC was actually a scroll in a fancy casing, and the situation was resolved. (October 24-27, 2001.)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Johnny Hazard

This cab driver rules.

Mikl posted:

This implies that herbivores usually win elections...and yet hellworld still has legalized murder against them?

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 26, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i just want to say how wild it is that the class of people who are legally permitted to kill others are the ones who don't have their interests being represented in government.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/25/01

Brenda Starr 6/22/47

Smokey Stover 2/6/44

Bonus Ad! The little-known sequel to Weasels Ripped My Flesh -- Gremlins Chiseled My Face.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Giant Ethicist posted:

Chako

This one dates from the end of December, and here's Q-Rais' author comment on it:
The cats represent 'past,' 'present,' and 'future'; this comic is my way of expressing that thing we call 'the new year.'
...No, that's a big lie. I wasn't really thinking about anything like that when I drew it, but when I looked at it again I realized it was possible to see it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxfSI4tB2Q

same energy

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dustin

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 07, 1947)

Personally I don't think the Indians would be impressed by fishhooks. Sell more axe heads, Val!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

"Predators might start winning elections" elsewhere in the comic they're shown to do that fine. :thunk: And not long enough after this for the "hybrids" thing to have affected stuff yet.

Green Intern posted:

This implies that herbivores usually win elections...and yet hellworld still has legalized murder against them?
They don't win later!

Ghostlight posted:

i just want to say how wild it is that the class of people who are legally permitted to kill others are the ones who don't have their interests being represented in government.
:shepface:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Taku :smith:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mikl posted:

What was going on in 2004 with regards to marriage? 🤔

(Source)

At the same time, there was the Federal Marriage Amdendment thing:

So yeah, it was quite the hot topic at the time.

And specifically in Georgia where Holbrook lived (still lives?) they passed their own state constitutional amendment which banned performing or recognizing same-sex unions. Kevin and Kell started being published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 2004, but I can't find what month it started. I wonder if this storyline made it to print.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mercury Hat posted:

And specifically in Georgia where Holbrook lived (still lives?) they passed their own state constitutional amendment which banned performing or recognizing same-sex unions. Kevin and Kell started being published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 2004, but I can't find what month it started. I wonder if this storyline made it to print.

Thanks for this. I'd actually looked up Georgia specifically, but apparently I'm bad at searching things because I hadn't seen this.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

manero fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 26, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

Took a quick look at back issues of the AJC via newspapers.com, and yes, this story did get printed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Mercury Hat posted:

Most of the American South forbade marrying of interracial couples until the SCOTUS rules it a violation of the 14th amendment in 1967. Bob Jones University, in an expression of “Christian” doctrine, forbade interracial dating until 2000.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days December 6, 1956

So now Beeman is advocating for snake oil and/or cocaine dissolved in whiskey?

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 6/22/47

I like how they constantly mention Brenda’s red hair, I’m assuming for b&w readers like us.

Classic Zits

100 Demons: Magic Lanterns

Like I said, this one truly makes me cry every time. I had this teddy bear named Gordon I’d had since the day of my birth. He disappeared at some point during a plane trip from one parent to another. I still miss him all the time.

Childhood is Hell

Uhh yeah this is hard to read even in the book. Any ideas on how I can fix or at least alleviate the problem?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It was a My Little Pony, lost at a rest stop between Calgary and Vancouver. It was one of the ones with fuzzy flocking on it.

I was so distraught that my parents took me to get a new pony, and I loved that one, but it was never the same.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere in the paper: of course I'm going to post the thing that's a)about queer people b)not one of the billion articles about the gas crisis

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Took a quick look at back issues of the AJC via newspapers.com, and yes, this story did get printed.

Thanks for looking into it, that's pretty cool.

TampaTango posted:

Most of the American South forbade marrying of interracial couples until the SCOTUS rules it a violation of the 14th amendment in 1967. Bob Jones University, in an expression of “Christian” doctrine, forbade interracial dating until 2000.

Well yeah.

But this storyline in specific was pretty obviously in response to the slew of legislation that was being rammed through at the state level at the time and laser targeted at what was happening in Holbrook's home state.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

This guy has some solid posing game.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

It was a My Little Pony, lost at a rest stop between Calgary and Vancouver. It was one of the ones with fuzzy flocking on it.

I was so distraught that my parents took me to get a new pony, and I loved that one, but it was never the same.

I had a friend whose daughter was CRAZY in love with this big red button from a coat. She took this thing EVERYWHERE and was constantly losing it in sandboxes and such. Her mom just had a purse full of the things and was great at "finding" her lost button on the playground or back in the car after she dropped it in a public bathroom or whatever.

To this day we have backups of the 2-3 things my daughters got really overwhelmingly in love with. We've never had to break any of them out, but one day we'll blow their mind with 2nd copies of froggy and giraffey-mcdoodles. Maybe they'll like 2nd copies for their kids.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I had two baby blankets I took everywhere, one pink and one blue. I have a memory of a daycare worker taking the blue blanket from me and stuffing it in the trash, I remember looking at it in the trashcan and feeling helpless. I was insanely attached to the pink blanket after that, still have the falling-apart rag it turned into from being so well-loved.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Fun at the museum (1935)

And that's the first batch of extras. Weekly service resuming with the next update when we get a look at Christmas in the Vater und Sohn Haushalt.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

coronatae posted:

I had two baby blankets I took everywhere, one pink and one blue. I have a memory of a daycare worker taking the blue blanket from me and stuffing it in the trash, I remember looking at it in the trashcan and feeling helpless. I was insanely attached to the pink blanket after that, still have the falling-apart rag it turned into from being so well-loved.
Is this a 'you can't have that, it's a BOY color!' thing? It feels like that kind of thing.

SKelly doing this is more distasteful than the Pissing Calvin decals.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Fun at the museum (1935)

How was he going to get the pants on the statue

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Is this a 'you can't have that, it's a BOY color!' thing? It feels like that kind of thing.

Possible, this would have happened in the mid-90's if the memory is correct/true. My mom was super patient with my attachment to them, never berated me but would gently encourage me to leave them in the car when we went out so I couldn't lose them. She'd also go out of her way to wash them on a gentle cycle in a delicates bag so they could be cleaned without being destroyed.

That was a drat good drat sad chapter of 100 Demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I understand what Holbrook is going for and it's awesome he was supportive of same sex marriage, and I wish more cartoonists had been openly supportive of it like he was.

That said, Coney's existence really kind of makes the whole thing weird and muddled because she's a carnivore that's disguised as an herbivore and it's mentioned that this is why she's so great at murdering things. This means that herbivore/carnivore unions represent an actual, literal threat to carnivores' lives, since they wouldn't be able to effectively tell the difference between prey and a fellow predator. Likewise it's also an actual, literal threat to herbivores for the same reason, now they have to worry that someone who looks like them is a secret predator who's going to murder them at any moment. And that would be fine, if this led to any sort of introspection on how their society functions and hey, maybe we shouldn't let murder be totally legal for a particular class. Like, honestly, with how hellworld works, it's hard not to agree that the politician is right and that marriages between predators and prey should be outlawed because it's a major threat to their society. For Kevin and Kell to be portrayed as right in my mind, they'd have to be saying that division between predators and prey is inherently wrong, but they're not doing that.

So yeah just bugs the hell out of me. His heart's in the right place and he's basically always been supportive of minority rights but the setting his world takes place in just makes it an absolute mess.