Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

a couple of my bros went through breakups early-mid pandemic and we all started hanging out in person more to support them and just kept doing it. we have a WhatsApp but we all get together at least once a week to puff and bitch and play a game or watch a movie, and collectively our mental health has been helped immensely by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to hang out with my friends, and also, with my wife. perhaps one day my son will be fun to hang out with but he is only a toddler.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my kids are too little to learn how to play magic yet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

All of my friends live like an hour away, I just started going to MTG events at the local game store so at least I'm getting some social interaction besides my girlfriend now

I need to start going the LGS. The parking situation is abysmal though. :(

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
whats a good early islamic history series to send to someone who kinda knows that the mongols sacked baghdad and there were some crusades at some point?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Victory Position posted:

that's really nice :)

Ty! Went to a FNM draft last week and it was the first time I'd played paper magic in almost 20 years. It was a lot of fun and I'm going again this week

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I need to start going the LGS. The parking situation is abysmal though. :(

Just park on the curb bro

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i say swears online posted:

when I was like 19 my group of friends would just hang out and talk. it seems so far away now and I deeply miss that kind of interaction. maybe I should get religious

its called voip

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

i like to hang out with my friends, and also, with my wife. perhaps one day my son will be fun to hang out with but he is only a toddler.

One of my favorite parts about studying Classical Antiquity, and really most of history, is how much actually loving one's spouse and getting along with them was considered lame. Being happily married rules, sorry your marriages sucked, Caesar.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hobbesmaster posted:

bumble was originally for friends matching wasn't it?

Pathetic lonely heterosexual men will try to turn any friendship vehicle into a way to find GF

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

its called voip

yeah and it sucks. it stinks!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
been talkin to the same 5-8 ppl for 13 or so years... teamspeak, ventrillo, mumble. but never discord. never in a thousand years

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
discord is an order of magnitude easier to use than all the programs you just listed. Tech nerds being luddites who are scared of new programs is very funny.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pablo Nergigante posted:

All of my friends live like an hour away, I just started going to MTG events at the local game store so at least I'm getting some social interaction besides my girlfriend now
it's a good point that the state-of-rents and housing market and lovely americanada cities sucks a lot because last thing i want to do after i get off work is drive 30-45 minutes in traffic there and another back. we used to do a lot of board-gaming with various friends but kinda slowed down by 2016 and eventually mostly stopped just because driving/traffic sucks poo poo and everyone lives all over the place now.

and with people moving to cheaper housing/rents into cities hours away it's just kinda lovely and eventually you mostly stop talking except via email/social media occasionally popping by if you're on that way.

if i had been born in an european city like brussels or berlin (which owns bones, i loved it there) i'd have a vastly better social life. most of it is solely time with my fiance these days

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Shipon posted:

problem is "true social interaction" doesn't exist anymore, even absent the internet. no one has time for that sort of thing anymore. as cruel as it is these platforms are better than the alternative of having literally nothing, no connection. if i didn't have at least twitter or forums or irc/discord I would have absolutely no way to talk to people i know

i don’t believe it’s something so defeatist or a just so state of the world. yes the arrangement of labor produces the social relations necessary to reproduce themselves but it isn’t a just so state of affairs. I mean that’s the entire point of Marx’s critique. anecdotally I have plenty of meaningful social interactions with family, friends, coworkers and other peers.

V. Illych L. posted:

i suspect that if one didn't have social media as a crutch one would put more effort into trying to build new relationships and place a higher priority on maintaining extant ones tbh

yea this.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Having friends is bourgeois

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

SorePotato posted:

Having friends is fascist

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
seems like friends are worlds of stupid opinions

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
my friends host podcasts and speak to me that way

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brigadier Sockface posted:

my friends host podcasts and speak to me that way

are you sure youre not just an intern? because if they actually hired you, i need a new legal job

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Having friends is for cowards afraid to die alone and scared

It rules

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

its called voip

i do all that, would just rather hang out with people and shoot the poo poo instead of playing a game or w/e

i spent like a year in mexico and loved the "just hang out and do nothing" culture. could drink beer on the stoop with the boys for the rest of my life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
started listening to Pod About List and enjoying it as a cum town-esque show. a little more lowkey vibes and a lot of adams on it, but it's been fun so far. cumtown is still great but it has gotten a little tiring that 2/3rd of it is just nick talking about how much it sucks now like they're gbs goons.

it is funny though that nick called it 3 months after he started it that it'd be a gilded cage that would make them filthy rich while ruining the rest of their lives

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“no one has time for friends anymore” what lol I hang out with my friends every week, we smoke weed and watch anime and eat snacks and play cards. sometimes we go to the beach

wtf are you people talking about, you can have friends just pick an activity you both enjoy or a hobby you share and schedule an afternoon or evening to do it together like oh my god

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I don’t really use social media that much but it really was a godsend during the early pandemic lockdowns. It was nice being able to check in on some acquaintances and many of those turned into strong friendships just because I reached out to people with “hey are you alright? Still working? Can I help?” which really seems different from a lot of peoples social media experience. It is hosed up though how a lot of freelance/gig people need to curate a brand on IG and such to be viable, and how dominant social media branding has become within a particular sector of the white-collar precariat.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Telling people their social issues arent real and its actually easy is kinda lovely.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Telling people their social issues arent real and its actually easy is kinda lovely.

I agree, but it’s also disempowering when people tell themselves that they are alone in their situation. It’s easy to be angry, candid or vulnerable online to a semi-anonymous audience and I think people adopt that as an alternative to doing it irl. Connecting with other people in your life, even when it’s hard, is a universal constant even if you live in Cspam Crack Ping Climate Change Pandemic Hellworld.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

“no one has time for friends anymore” what lol I hang out with my friends every week, we smoke weed and watch anime and eat snacks and play cards. sometimes we go to the beach

wtf are you people talking about, you can have friends just pick an activity you both enjoy or a hobby you share and schedule an afternoon or evening to do it together like oh my god

are you actually responding to anyone in particular or did you just want to tell us you have friends

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I only have one close friend but we're very close and hang out every week or so. Had a lot of people just kind of drift away after school, sad but true. Wouldn't mind making some more IRL pals, and I hope goons itt in the same situation come across some true buddies.

Except for bust rodd.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
during the pandemic my neighbors and i all became best friends and now hang out every day. coffee in the mornings, cocktails at night, dinners on the weekends. hollywood bungalows. i feel very lucky. i would have literally killed myself if i had to live completely isolated in some dreary van nuys 1 bedroom with nothing but the internet. i lived like that for a long time and it loving sucked.

i think a lot of this cultural malaise rolls into urban planning. i think the way we design our cities fucks us up. isolates us.

i think our culture of individualism above all else fucks us up too.

and whats worse is all of these things are built and manipulated, expanded by capitalism and the tech companies at its helm (or at least in the drivers cabin, if not the helm) to extract ever more profit from an increasingly isolated, depressed people. every facet of your life is monetized, until the last cent is sucked out and you hang yourself with a necktie on your doorframe pullup bar.

it is possible to escape, but the conditions required are specific, and the pathways to salvation are intentionally eroded and destroyed every day by those who seek to cause you harm.

hosed up!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
communal living is very very good. it is in fact the only mode in which we as a species can live with joy, dignity, and purpose. this i believe.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

i think a lot of this cultural malaise rolls into urban planning. i think the way we design our cities fucks us up. isolates us.

i think our culture of individualism above all else fucks us up too.

and whats worse is all of these things are built and manipulated, expanded by capitalism and the tech companies at its helm (or at least in the drivers cabin, if not the helm) to extract ever more profit from an increasingly isolated, depressed people. every facet of your life is monetized, until the last cent is sucked out and you hang yourself with a necktie on your doorframe pullup bar.

it is possible to escape, but the conditions required are specific, and the pathways to salvation are intentionally eroded and destroyed every day by those who seek to cause you harm.

hosed up!

it's a weird toss-up between how Los Angeles and Chicago are, as both are extremely large and dense, but Chicagoland has you driving sometimes up to 60 miles out of your way to get anywhere. Los Angeles is a bit smaller, sure, but it's so dense that it's tough to really get around anywhere there either

the distance with all of these places really makes it hard to get together with anyone. it's not a complete turnoff, but it makes things considerably harder

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

it's a weird toss-up between how Los Angeles and Chicago are, as both are extremely large and dense, but Chicagoland has you driving sometimes up to 60 miles out of your way to get anywhere. Los Angeles is a bit smaller, sure, but it's so dense that it's tough to really get around anywhere there either

the distance with all of these places really makes it hard to get together with anyone. it's not a complete turnoff, but it makes things considerably harder

the way we build our cities and live in them is wrong. i know it's not possible for everyone, and probably classist or something to imply, but people should strive to live smaller, local lives. i know that many have to live in the boonies and commute way in for work, this is a crime. we should all be able to live, work, socialize, volunteer, and endeavor to better our local communities. i think this is an aspiration worth fighting for, worth dedicating a lifetime to the pursuit of.

we should be allowed to be near family and friends. and if we arrive somewhere with none, the opportunity to build them should be plentiful and organic through robust civic engagement and cultural programs.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
laughter, camaraderie, and joy should be a part of daily life. and it is possible. we have the means. people in villages around the world do it every day. to create a social fabric out of stone and glass is possible, and necessary, if we are to move forward as a more compassionate nation. whether it takes revolution, a drastic reduction in carbon emissions due to catastrophic climate change, or some other exogenous event to get us there i have no idea. but i think it would be nice, for people to have friends. for people to have someone elses living room to have some beers in. to have someone share a few in theirs.

that got pretty sappy, and stupid. guess im a g*y little b*tch.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

even the romans realized everyone shouldn't eat dinner alone at home

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

laughter, camaraderie, and joy should be a part of daily life. and it is possible. we have the means. people in villages around the world do it every day. to create a social fabric out of stone and glass is possible, and necessary, if we are to move forward as a more compassionate nation. whether it takes revolution, a drastic reduction in carbon emissions due to catastrophic climate change, or some other exogenous event to get us there i have no idea. but i think it would be nice, for people to have friends. for people to have someone elses living room to have some beers in. to have someone share a few in theirs.

that got pretty sappy, and stupid. guess im a g*y little b*tch.

it sure beats the hell out of people griping and clamoring for blood over things people post in a thread and repost whatever things over and over

it's nice to just hang out with friends, to just shoot the poo poo, to do your best to lessen the load and lighten everyone's spirits. to be denied this is one of the most damning criticisms we can make about our society today, material conditions withstanding

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Breadallelogram posted:

are you actually responding to anyone in particular or did you just want to tell us you have friends

Bust Rodd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonna steal all bust rodd's friends

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i say swears online posted:

gonna steal all bust rodd's friends

Too late he already had bad poly sex with 80% of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Smythe posted:

the way we build our cities and live in them is wrong. i know it's not possible for everyone, and probably classist or something to imply, but people should strive to live smaller, local lives. i know that many have to live in the boonies and commute way in for work, this is a crime. we should all be able to live, work, socialize, volunteer, and endeavor to better our local communities. i think this is an aspiration worth fighting for, worth dedicating a lifetime to the pursuit of.

we should be allowed to be near family and friends. and if we arrive somewhere with none, the opportunity to build them should be plentiful and organic through robust civic engagement and cultural programs.

I grew up in a small town and it was hell with busybodies everywhere and everyone knowing everyone else, "community" can easily be reactionary too