Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I use my assistant pretty much exclusively for putting together transmittal letters, sending/receiving docs through FedEx and processing business expense reimbursements. That seems like a fairly typical relationship firmwide.

Paralegals in our group are vital because they’re the ones they’re the ones who engage with CT Corp, so they’re always busy requesting copies of certified docs from the state, filing real property docs, etc. We went without a paralegal for a month or two and it was a living hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
SV and Phil in particular have said it best, so I'll only add the following from someone who's not naturally predisposed to delegating: don't rob a competent person of the opportunity to participate. Just bite the bullet, and force yourself to give them things to do until it becomes more natural. You don't have to get the exact division of labor right on the first try.

Also, recognize that if your time is worth $300 an hour, and theirs is worth $150, its pretty clear which one should be doing letters and stuff.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

My first 4 secretaries were awful and I basically never talked to them, but once you get a secretary that is actually good and competent it is lifechanging. With my fifth secretary I have become a helpless babe incapable of running any aspect of my life without being swaddled in her strong, safe arms. I don;t even have to ask her to do things, she has full access to my Outlook so she just reads all of my emails and then just anticipates my needs like some sort of loving djinn. Every time she even hints at retirement I threaten to Budd Dwyer myself in her cubicle

my secretary interacts with firm systems like opening clients and giving me expense reimbursements and i have no idea what else she would do

but good paralegals and juniors are loving essential

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah all I know is when you have a bad secretary, it’s annoying as gently caress and you really feel it. I had a secretary who really only knew how to stuff envelopes, copy things, and organize paper files…she claimed not to understand how to use a USB, how to burn a CD, how to fax something (“they moved to this electronic fax and I can’t figure it out”), how to read orders that came in and schedule them, how to download ECF pleadings, how to file on ECF, how to schedule depositions…

It was insane. When I left that firm she asked me to write her a reference letter she could use if she ever had to get another job and because I didn’t give a gently caress I agreed to give her one.

It said “[Lady] was my secretary for 8 months. She is a pleasant person and has a method of organizing paper files that works well for her.”

That was it lol

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Competent support staff would be so loving great. I spent a ton of time doing menial poo poo as a junior because (2/3) of our paralegals had mulch for brains and I couldn’t trust them to put together a closing set or clean up files or pretty much anything. The competent paralegal was constantly buried with requests and eventually quit for another firm lol.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Toona the Cat posted:

Question for those of us who are first-generation lawyers. Do you feel uncomfortable asking support staff for help? Like my firm has a litigation assistant who was worried I didn't like her because I haven't asked her to do anything for me. The answer is that I just feel weird asking someone to do something I could easily do myself.

I'm this way because my dad was a ringknocker.

But I've slowly realized that this is the answer:

blarzgh posted:

SV and Phil in particular have said it best, so I'll only add the following from someone who's not naturally predisposed to delegating: don't rob a competent person of the opportunity to participate. Just bite the bullet, and force yourself to give them things to do until it becomes more natural. You don't have to get the exact division of labor right on the first try.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also, and I’m sure everyone knows this but it bears repeating, tell people please and thank you. And when they do a good job, tell them they did a good job.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
In my last gov office, we had 4 paralegals for 7-8 attorneys. One paralegal was bad, two were below average, and one was a superstar. I got to start there with the superstar, and it got to the point where I could just roll into court without having looked at any of my files in the least and be completely prepared, because she had crushed all the prepwork and written out a one-paragraph summary of what needed to be done and how.

But then I was deemed too good, and got assigned the bad paralegal.

When I took over the office, I got to assign who got matched with whom - tougher than you'd think, because you can't summarily match the worst/best together, lest the best leave the office out of frustration.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Toona the Cat posted:

your av makes zero sense m8

It's a long story - I had a beautiful panda one with a "This is my suit, color it grey" caption from someone here, but then went and criticized the direction some early access game was going in in a separate thread, and a bunch of Goon-fans got angry and one of them gave me this one.

I won because the game did suck; more important, I am too cheap to get a new one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

ten years in i still have no real idea what on earth i would use my secretary for

All interactions with the physical world in general and the mail / delivery systems in specific went through my secretary. Was the best thing ever.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009
I once used a secretary. But I had to redo all the letters she wrote, so I stopped using her. Other attorneys in my office share continued to employ her, so it was awkward.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Question for those of us who are first-generation lawyers. Do you feel uncomfortable asking support staff for help? Like my firm has a litigation assistant who was worried I didn't like her because I haven't asked her to do anything for me. The answer is that I just feel weird asking someone to do something I could easily do myself.

yup. you'll probably get over it by year 5.

you're a boss now. not in a cool way, but in a poo poo, "am I the baddie?" kind a way.

the answer is yes, yes you are.

don't be an rear end in a top hat. but delegate according to staff's capabilities.

if you come across any staff who is above-average competent and gives a poo poo, do anything in your power to make them stay.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

Not a first generation lawyer, but at the PD's office, no. gently caress if I was going to learn how to file things.
At my current job, we have a pool which is super hit and miss with quality. I avoid asking for things beyond what is strictly required because of that.

My dad's had the same secretary since I can remember (probably at least 25 years), which is loving wild, but I guess he hasn't driven her to quit or change attorneys, so that's something.

Green Crayons posted:

if you come across any staff who is above-average competent and gives a poo poo, do anything in your power to make them stay.
Our office (government) is loving terrible about promoting internally for anyone but lawyers, and it loving blows, all our best talent gets hired elsewhere. We have promoted a few great clerical people, but they tend to get jobs outside of strictly clerical, which is good for them, but sucks for me. Better than a complete brain drain, I guess.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 19, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

ten years in i still have no real idea what on earth i would use my secretary for

10 years in and we still bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

10 years in and we still bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other.

Needs a taint status report.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So hey, since I know you all love making fun of law students and recent law graduates who have bad things happen to them, let me tell you a story.

During 3L winter I accepted an in-house associate counsel job for decent money. There was even talk about paid leave to study for the bar, although I wasn't holding my breath on that part. So that was great...

...And then the day before graduation the company decided they were no longer cool with hiring a new grad in a counsel role and "revised" the offer to a non-legal garbage title and a $40k pay cut. Were they just trying to get rid of me? Alas, no, they had the temerity to hound me for months after I declined.

So anyway I don't work there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That sucks.

Did you get a job somewhere else?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Why weren’t you here for the last three years detailing your self-destructive tendencies and cataloging your terrible impulse control?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lmao

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That sucks.

Did you get a job somewhere else?

No, but I haven't made any effort to do so. I decided to take some time to try to get right mentally after the whole pandemic law school and pandemic bar experience.

Toona the Cat posted:

Why weren’t you here for the last three years detailing your self-destructive tendencies and cataloging your terrible impulse control?

I haven't physically seen my law school or classmates since February 2020, so...

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Pinky Artichoke posted:

No, but I haven't made any effort to do so. I decided to take some time to try to get right mentally after the whole pandemic law school and pandemic bar experience.

What role were you supposed to play at the in-house gig?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When I graduated law school, the one thing that lawyers told me was "Now is the worst time to be a law school graduate, except for the time when I graduated." So I will say that now is probably the worst it's ever been, except for when I graduated from law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It is always getting worse because pay is always decreasing as workload increases. Twice a year, tens of thousands of new lawyers get admitted across the nation and gleefully fill up poo poo positions for poo poo pay because there is far more supply than demand.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
The worst time to become a lawyer is tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

:hmmyes:

I always tell people the best time to become a lawyer was 50 years ago. If you can't manage that, shoot for 30 years ago. Barring that, 20 years ago was ok.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I always tell people the best time to become a lawyer was 50 years ago. If you can't manage that, shoot for 30 years ago. Barring that, 20 years ago was ok.

I hosed up and didn't get started till 15 years ago but it worked out ... ok ?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

Becoming a lawyer is equivalent to buying property in Southern California. It was both affordable and cool 50-70 years ago. Now it's crowded, expensive, and everything smells like piss.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Thread updated but I changed this to be a better honeypot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The future is bright. Limitless work.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hi I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like I'll be getting in on the ground floor?

What I'm hearing is that I should definitely trust the recently-changed title instead of all the info in the OP (incl. video "Don't be a Lawyer") and first-hand anecdotes from lawyer friend whose debt is not quite soul-crushing anymore but definitely still inescapable. Do I have it right?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

Hi I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like I'll be getting in on the ground floor?

What I'm hearing is that I should definitely trust the recently-changed title instead of all the info in the OP (incl. video "Don't be a Lawyer") and first-hand anecdotes from lawyer friend whose debt is not quite soul-crushing anymore but definitely still inescapable. Do I have it right?

Yes! We’re working on updating the OP to reflect the realities of the legal profession. Things have changed my friend, things have changed.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

SlyFrog posted:

What role were you supposed to play at the in-house gig?

Privacy. It's apparently not that unusual to hire someone who can understand the tech stack and has a grasp of privacy laws but needs training as a lawyer.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sullat posted:

When I graduated law school, the one thing that lawyers told me was "Now is the worst time to be a law school graduate, except for the time when I graduated." So I will say that now is probably the worst it's ever been, except for when I graduated from law school.

The demand for expendable bodies to grind into dust is actually quite high right now. Probably the highest it's been since pre-2008? Who knows how long that will last, though!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

See above. If you were previously on course for an in-house job right out of law school you can probably still land a firm gig. And it will of course suck a great deal. But you will probably get paid more than you would have in the in-house role.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Getting a practicing certificate again after surviving eight whole years outside the profession. I feel dirty.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Mr. Nice! posted:

20 years ago was quite terrible, in fact, and likely worse than any year before/since. Change it to 21 and I'll thumbs up that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You've heard about Lawful Evil

Now meet Phil Moscowitz, Evil Evil.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got the receptionist to do something menial today that saved me like 30 minutes of cussing at the copier and I feel like a slave driver.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Go to law school, you fucks. HTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Go to law school, the profession is awesome and the selection methods developed by law firms over the decades have organically evolved to prevent anyone but the best people from staying in the field. No matter where you work and what you do in law, the work will be fantastic and fulfilling, and don't get me started on the awesome crew that you will inevitably be a part of!