Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

What? Like, a lady was pumping in the middle of an exam hall? Isn't that a lot of gear to set up, nevermind the whole privacy thing?

Yeah but if you're taking a three hour exam it might be the only option (that the patriarchy gives you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Serephina posted:

What? Like, a lady was pumping in the middle of an exam hall? Isn't that a lot of gear to set up, nevermind the whole privacy thing?

I'm pretty sure they have low-profile ones now that are more like a bra. You can walk around and go about your day while pumping.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Serephina posted:

A pump's smaller than a volleyball and you could go in with the strap that holds the bottles to your breasts already on. If you had a loose top on, it'd be pretty easy to get everything in place and hit go on the pump.

It'd be awkward to write, because you don't want to be knocking the bottles off with the edge of the desk, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure they have low-profile ones now that are more like a bra. You can walk around and go about your day while pumping.

Aside from the whole "emitting a weird noise" thing

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

Aside from the whole "emitting a weird noise" thing

I'd expect the noise to range from "barely noticeable" to "completely drowned out" in the majority of the world that is not a dead silent classroom during an exam.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is a weird rear end noise too. It sounds like it's saying something, but what it's saying shifts. Retail! Retail! Retail! India! India! India! India! Terra Haute Terra Haute Terra Haute

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

there are portable pumps, think a device about the size of a purse which can be attached to a specialized bra. its possible to pump quasi-discreetly, it would be about as noticable as an insulin pump or colostomy bag but noisier

e: drat, if you're rich you can get a pump that just slips right into the bra that has no external cables, wires, or bottles. the future is wild

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 26, 2021

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It came from Dear Prudence

quote:

Q. Not over it: I have a lovely girlfriend whom I am madly in love with, but I worry that she has bipolar depression and a victim complex or something similar. I cheated on her once and had a virtue affair with a catfisher, which she found out about when I was in the ICU after my stroke. It broke her heart and crushed her. Now she’s always sure I’m cheating on her, even when I’m not. I’ll do anything to make a life for us both, but she’s convinced I’ll never change, which just kills me. I will do therapy with her, be patient, do anything I can. But she stays in this pattern and keeps pushing me away. I don’t know what to do to prove to her I love her, except love her, be patient, and stay true. But that doesn’t seem to be enough. I’ve only scratched the surface of what happened. It is closer to a soap opera than real life.

quote:

A:You don’t need to give your girlfriend a mental health diagnosis to explain why this isn’t working. You cheated on her and broke her trust, and you’re seeing the results of that. I understand why you’d want her to be over it (it would certainly make things much easier on you!), but sadly, you don’t get to have everything you want after you ruin a relationship by being unfaithful. This is the girlfriend you have now: a person who is sure you’re cheating on her, for reasons that are actually pretty reasonable. You have to decide whether you want to live with this or break up.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

The Bramble posted:

I'm assuming her friend developed guillain barre syndrome after being vaccinated. There was an article in the Boston Globe recently written by a guy who got that after getting his COVID vaccine and it sounded absolutely awful. You immune system goes crazy and starts attacking your own nerve endings, extremely painful and can cause permanent damage. He said he suffered in silence because he was afraid of people using his story in exactly that kind of way or as an excuse not to get vaccinated.

I had that disease when I was younger. I don’t know whether it would reassure people if they were told that there is a (minuscule) risk of getting it with any virus you get exposed to. I got it after a nasty cold.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
r/relationships: had a virtue affair with a catfisher

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
my coworkers kid got guillaine Barre after getting the vax and he's basically paralyzed. had to be put on a vent and get a trach because his body wasn't doing it right. Been like five months and he's in physical rehab, recovered to the point of "can sit up". Absolutely horrific. I'd probably go antivax nuts if it happened to me/my family.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Half of Dracula posted:

my coworkers kid got guillaine Barre after getting the vax and he's basically paralyzed. had to be put on a vent and get a trach because his body wasn't doing it right. Been like five months and he's in physical rehab, recovered to the point of "can sit up". Absolutely horrific. I'd probably go antivax nuts if it happened to me/my family.

Yep same with my coworker. Poor girl was in the ICU for at least a couple weeks and several months later she can now almost stand up. loving sucks and it would hurt so bad to have it happen to family.

As far as I’m aware though this is a possible side effect of a ton of vaccines, but of course a lot of people try to pretend like it’s only this one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pentyne posted:

Ironic!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

pentyne posted:

I know it's a typo/bad English/whatever, but I kind of want to know what a virtue affair with a catfisher would actually be?

:( "My wife steals from orphanages, but I feel bad about it."
:j: "Sneak the stolen money back to the orphanages and I'll give you a handjob."
:) "OK, I did it!"
:v: "Actually I'm not real and also a dude lol"

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Probably a mistype of "virtual" which means the guy has TWO instances of infidelity under his belt.

Real superstar

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think a virtue affair is like mentally lusting after them? Like committing adultery because you are fantasizing about committing adultery. I don’t really know, I’ve never heard the term. Sounds like some religious thing picked up in Bible school

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think the cheating and the virtual affair refers to the same sequence of events

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I Googled it and all I got was an episode of The Man from UNCLE. I can only guess that they're, like, Mormons or the kind of people who convert to Catholicism in their 20s and it was a chaste online romance.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Virtue cheating is when you tell your partner that, per Plato, justice is that which is due each person, but you run around with some hussy on the side and formulate with her a theory of justice using Rawl's veil of ignorance thought experiment.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

El Spamo posted:

Probably a mistype of "virtual" which means the guy has TWO instances of infidelity under his belt.

Real superstar
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is a mistype of "virtual" and he's referring to two separate occasions - cheating on her once *and* a separate online affair with a catfisher.

Hard to imagine why she doesn't believe his "I love you and I'll change" song-and-dance when she's already heard it and watched it fail. :iiam:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

our highly-paid, overworked junior staff keep leaving just as we get them fully trained

quote:

I work in an industry that is well known for long, hard hours, especially at junior levels. It’s one that has been all over the newspaper the past couple years for difficulty retaining junior professional staff and attempts to roll out more work-life balance. That said, it’s also (a) very well paid at the junior level, think 23 years old and making $275k-$200k; and (b) very competitive.

We’ve been having issues with junior staff, who each went through a rigorous interview process where the lifestyle was made clear to them (100-hour weeks, in the office every weekend, two year program), quitting after 6-9 months. That is typically just when they are getting useful in what is effectively an apprenticeship program. Some are leaving us for competitors with bigger brand names, but others are making the jump into corporate jobs, usually in finance with mid-stage start-ups. We have raised pay twice in the past six months and have been in the press for a fair bit of success lately. But we can’t do our jobs effectively without junior resources. It’s a huge amount of work to get a 23-year-old working at a professional level, and because it’s client service if they aren’t available evenings / weekends then I have to be (high level manager bringing in significant business). That’s equated to me working each of the past six weekends to try and get junior staff more time off than I ever got when I was coming up, only to have the fourth team member this year quit.

So, obviously we can’t *force* anyone to keep working, but what else can we be doing to keep people for the full two-year program? We already defer most of the comp to year-end, with some smallish amount withheld for 12-24 months. I’m thinking of something along the lines of a contract that would acknowledge that the training provided has value that must be repaid if the person doesn’t stay for 24 months. Or making the majority of the salary and bonus contingent on staying for the full 24 months (i.e., you make $10k per month before bonus, but if you leave before 24 months you must repay $6k per month). I’m sympathetic to the pleas that this job is life-consuming, but it’s ALWAYS been that way and nobody pretends otherwise during the interview process. And, again, I’m doing similar hours in my mid-40s, with a family. This isn’t a hazing process, it’s just what the job is like. Ideally it gets better, although with the junior team working less than I did it seems like that might not be the case any more.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What the gently caress job is this?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Funktastic posted:

our highly-paid, overworked junior staff keep leaving just as we get them fully trained

quote:

I’m thinking of something along the lines of a contract that would acknowledge that the training provided has value that must be repaid if the person doesn’t stay for 24 months.

If they don't work for at least a full 24 months then their work will basically have been done for free, I am confident this will hold up in court

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My guess is doctors, with the "48 hour shifts build character!!" made up by an actual cocaine addict

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That dude is trying to recreate those KPOP contracts Korea had to make illegal

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Investment banking apparently

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can only guess at why "employ more people and reduce the working hours to something less insane instead of increasing wages" is not an option.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Funktastic posted:

I like how they never even consider that they could hire more interns paid less if they just had them all working 40 hour weeks and they'd have significantly higher retention rate

lol nope gotta work 100 hour weeks and have no life

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

There is no amount of money that would get me to work 100 hours a week for two years.

Why can't they just hire twice as many employees that work only 40-50 hours a week for $100k? Like, surely their competitors can't offer $200K for less work.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Funktastic posted:

Investment banking apparently

Oh right, so "look what a workaholic I am" machismo/masochism and a history of cocaine.

Realistically, the decisions they make in hour 90 of a the tenth 100-hour week in a row are going to be horrible, and it would probably be economical to force them into a healthier lifestyle - but I guess that would break the mystique.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA For no longer doing the dishes after my wife called me her "dish b!tch"

quote:

My office is only a couple miles from my house so I usually go home for lunch every day. Since it is so close, I have time to do the dishes, take out the trash, switch the laundry, etc, before I go back to work. I find it's a nice use of my lunch break and helps to free up some time in the evening so I can relax more with my family.

A couple weeks ago my wife had a few of her girlfriends over for drinks. I was in the other room watching tv but I could hear them talking and laughing and I heard my wife make a comment about how she has me trained so well I come home on my lunch break to do the dishes and called me her "dish bitch."

It really rubbed me the wrong way. Even if she was just joking with her friends, it felt really demeaning to me and felt like she was putting me down so that she could feel bigger in front of her friends.

So, I didn't do the dishes or any other chores when I was home at lunch the next day. My wife gets home from work before me every day and instead of coming home to a clean kitchen and empty sink, there are dishes piled up and the trash needs to be taken out, etc.

When I got home my wife was doing the dishes and told me I need to give her a hand because she needs to get dinner started. She asked if I came home for lunch that day and I said I did. She asked why I didn't do the dishes and I told her that her "dish bitch" was on strike. She stopped what she was doing and looked at me with her mouth open.

I told her that yeah, I heard what she said and that I don't appreciate her putting me down to her friends just so that she can feel good about herself. She said she was just joking around and she doesn't really think about me that way.

I told her she would flip her poo poo if she heard me talk about her that way to my friends. She said they were just joking around and it didn't mean she actually thought that. I told her I want to believe her, but I honestly don't think she was just joking. I told her I think I might just start going out to eat at lunch, or take a lunch to the office from now on.

She told me I was being petty and overreacting. I told her I don't think I am. She then asked if I was going to help her with the dishes so she can start dinner and I said "No, I don't think I will." I told her I will play with the kids to keep them distracted since we are having a later dinner that night.

After the kids went to bed she told me I was being an rear end in a top hat about one little joke that she didn't even mean and I was blowing this way out of proportion. I told her she knows how much she'd freak out at me if I said something like that, so I don't think I'm overreacting at all. I told her respect goes both ways and she doesn't get to put me down to her friends to make her feel bigger.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

There is no amount of money that would get me to work 100 hours a week for two years.

Why can't they just hire twice as many employees that work only 40-50 hours a week for $100k? Like, surely their competitors can't offer $200K for less work.

It's not really work that can run in parallel and the rewards come from being first so there are big incentives to pay the smartest person you can find a mountain of money to work all the time.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm think the point is that you pass it along to the next person in the chain rather than grind yourself into ether doing it all yourself cause the work you're doing at hour 80 is poo poo

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've been married for 10 months and have never had sex

quote:

I (23M) has been married for 10 months to my wife (25F) and we have never had sex.

My wife and I are both Christian and we agreed that we would not have sex until we were married. 1 month before we got married she said she was "terrified to have sex". I told her it was fine and that as long we tried there was no rush. (She is literally my dream woman so I didn't worry too much). Fast forward to now and we still haven't had sex. We have tried a few times but she freaks out before anything has even happened. This is obviously very embarrassing and difficult to deal with. I have tried to convince her to go to the doctor or perhaps therapy. But she keeps refusing. I am a very chill person and non-confrontational so this has been very difficult to deal with. She has also been diagnosed with anxiety and takes medication. I don't have anyone to tell and I figured this will get lost in the posts. I'm not sure what to do and am incredibly frustrated. How am I supposed to tell anyone that I'm married and have still never had sex?? poo poo's embarrassing. It feels good to leave it here even if no one else in my personal life knows.

Edit: Just want to be clear my wife is my dream woman. She is extremely smart, caring, and sweet. Whenever the conversation about our sex life comes up, she feels very guilty about it. She wants to be able to have sex but freaks out every time. I always comfort her (she cries when this happens) and tell her it's okay and as long as we try I'm fine with it. I've always been very sweet to her about it, I never raise my voice or get upset with her. I love her to death she is my dream woman as I've said. But this sucks a lot, especially when people I know are always talking about how much sex they've had and how great it is. We've had oral sex and that's it. Actual vaginal sex is what freaks her out.

Edit: Wow this has blown up a lot more than I thought it would! This is my first reddit post and I thought it would for sure get 2 upvotes and die. I cannot express how much I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me. I appreciate all of you. <3

There is a few things I would like to add:

1. When I say she is my dream woman, I mean everything about her is perfect. (Except this situation obviously.) Other than that she is perfect.
2. She is on birth control and I do wear protection whenever we have tried to have sex. I am 99 percent sure she is not afraid of getting pregnant. Rather just the pain that comes with the actual penetration. When we have oral sex I am able to get her there every time. It is the same when she does oral to me.
3. I did not consider that our Christian upbringing could potentially have affected her ability to have sex, even after being married. When we have tried she said it was the "pain and the pressure" of trying that she could not handle.
4. I cannot express how much I appreciate all of the input. I apologize if do not respond, like I said I thought this would die off with many other posts lol.
5. I will add updates, I am unsure how often or when I will, but if something happens I will definitely let you guys know! So much support! It feels great to let people in, even if they are strangers on the internet. I appreciate you <3

Edit: We were dating for 5 years before marriage.

Religion was a mistake

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

a comment posted:

Does any single client actually demand 100 hours a week from a team? Or are you working these hours serving a list of clients?
– If the answer is the latter, aren’t we still circling back to “You don’t hire enough people to do all the work”?
– If the answer is the former, what is the reason that it can’t be addressed by making the team that serves a particular client larger, and equipping everyone with what they need so you can be effective in a shift-type coverage model, ie someone will be available when the big demanding client needs them, but everyone doesn’t have to be available “9-9-6” or worse?
Before you say “We can’t afford any of that,” consider that you wrote to AAM out of concern that your company investing a quarter of a million bucks a year in people who increasingly won’t stay. It seems clear that your current business model has a false-economy problem.

the OP posted:

OP here – it’s the latter. We have lots of clients. I guess, brass tacks, I’d love to try it. I don’t have any input, though. And I suspect that, as a small firm, we would end up losing the better analysts to bigger banks who do the 100 hour weeks and be stuck with the lower performers.
There are a lot of folks on here who insist on pointing out that the industry is insane. I agree! It’s insane! But I’m the red queen here, believing six impossible things before breakfast. I can’t snap my fingers and change the industry. All I can do is run twice as fast so as not to stay in place.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Alchenar posted:

It's not really work that can run in parallel and the rewards come from being first so there are big incentives to pay the smartest person you can find a mountain of money to work all the time.

Yeah if it really is investment banking, then i can understand why that job turned into a shitfest, even if it sounds insane to maintain the current standard.

I read the OP's comments, and they kept repeating how they can't hire anyone else because there's so few candidates left and everyone ends up leaving anyway due to the workload, and the company runs the risk of dying. And I keep having the same thought in the back of my head, that maybe the company should collapse because it does not sound sustainable anymore. If they can't adapt and restructure, then there isn't much left they can do to survive.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Virtue cheating is when you tell your partner that, per Plato, justice is that which is due each person, but you run around with some hussy on the side and formulate with her a theory of justice using Rawl's veil of ignorance thought experiment.

Edmund Hussyerl: On the Concept of Getting Your Number

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For no longer doing the dishes after my wife called me her "dish b!tch"

Who the gently caress's been undergoing undue duress by doing dishes by hand for the past half a millennium?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Most NYC apartments don't have dishwashers, hand-washing is pretty much how everyone there does it unless they live in a Fancy Place. I didn't get to experience the joys of having a dishwasher until I moved away in my mid-30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I love when people use their partner doing a good thing as a pretext to poo poo on them, excellent life strategy there.