Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

highland whisky is great if you like drinking syrupy piss

islay whisky is great if you like whisky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

laphroaig is great and hard to beat, i'll have to try the lagavulin 8. a store here had it for $40 and i'm always keen for a bang-for-your-buck scotch

i don't care for any of ardbeg's stuff. them and laphroaig are both peat bombs but there's just something unpleasant about arbeg.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lagavulin 8 is a brand new thing and an insane value. what a brilliant choice by that distillery, which is known only for scotch that starts at $95, to come out with something better than the slate of islay 10 year olds for $40 just as they're all jacking up their prices. i LOVE this poo poo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they certainly could have come out with a 10 year old too but there's really no need (i assume they did this because 8 is half of 16.)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I’m about to mix some knob creek rye with Carpano antica and edibles

I had no idea Lagavulin had a cheaper 8 year. gonna snatch that up if I see it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

highland whisky is great if you like drinking syrupy piss

islay whisky is great if you like whisky

as someone who regularly mixes tiki drinks I am immune to your performative masculinity

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whisky snobbery is lame, don't do it. let people drink what they want how they want. Islay whisky isn't "better" than highland whisky or vice versa, it's just different.

whisky is so diverse anyway that saying one region's whisky is better than any other region is almost a meaningless statement, because regional whisky styles are a continuum, and in any region there are many examples of whiskies that wouldn't conform to the style characteristics of that region

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

that's because highland whisky is good and islay is not

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I quite enjoy Campbelltown myself, it’s like a Speyside that’s been in the same room as an Islay

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Campbeltown has some incredible whiskies. Springbank might just be the best distillery hands down, too bad it got way too popular and it's unobtanium now. Glengyle (Kilkerran) is suffering from the same fate, a victim of it's own success.

Glen Scotia is wonderful too, and so far still widely available.

c drink s:

A sample of GlenDronach 18 and 21. Heaven.

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Saw the 8 year at the LCBO today, 90 loving dollars.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I Never got into scotch and am unwilling to spend my own money to find something I might like, so I stick to the North American variants like rye and bourbon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scotch whisky is so much more diverse than bourbon and rye.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

greg the peanut posted:

Saw the 8 year at the LCBO today, 90 loving dollars.
lol what? for the lagavulin?? i paid 40 for a bottle a couple days ago. the 16 is usually about 90, that must be a fuckup

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yep
https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/lagavulin-8-year-old-islay-single-malt-scotch-whisky-479881

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was a big fan of macallan and balvanie but now I usually drink bourbons

just about to finish off a bottle of this noble oak

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

I Never got into scotch and am unwilling to spend my own money to find something I might like, so I stick to the North American variants like rye and bourbon

Ditto, I like it as a gift but like to stay on topic you can get a nice Michters for like 80 (Americans please DO NOT tell me what it costs there)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol thats hosed. i hope they arent jacking up the price like on laphroaig. better buy a bunch just to be safe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

inflation is happening big time right now, and probably will through the better part of 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its still 40 at my local mart so....imma go buy a box of it. yknow, just to be safe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm going to drink a bunch of hazy-o tonight

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dorsaamir/status/1454822232463593472

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

14 sides? :monocle:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the neighborhood good liquor store emailed out clearance on some beer and wine, so i'm getting a case of various wines with damaged labels and a case of oud beersil bersalis tripel for $25 each. i figured worst case i have stuff to give away as gifts or whatever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
huh
https://twitter.com/indiealehouse/status/1458071453161697285

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
still feels weird drinking guinness out of a can, but i could get used to this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

prefect posted:

its not even noon breh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graph posted:

its not even noon breh

i've been up since one

also, the first one was a guinness coffee gimmick, so that doesn't count

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

the ones with the nitro capsules in them make a pretty decent pour

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
meanwhile in NL, tompouce (weird dutch cream pastry thing) themed beer

honestly not that great, i'll stick to triples. fun as a novelty

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

meanwhile in NL, tompouce (weird dutch cream pastry thing) themed beer

honestly not that great, i'll stick to triples. fun as a novelty

A fun gimmick but I never had a Highlander beer that I've liked. They're all watery.

e: I think the closest equivalent to a tompouce is mille feuille or napoleon

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

spankmeister posted:

A fun gimmick but I never had a Highlander beer that I've liked. They're all watery.

e: I think the closest equivalent to a tompouce is mille feuille or napoleon

i found the tompouce beer sweet and saccharine-y. does kinda mimic the tompouce flavour tho.

only lowland beer i've tried

next week gonna try and get in on the latest trappist westvleteren sale, 3h drive each way to pick it up and ~€170 for 3 crates of 24 beers, but allegedly the best beer in the world

loving pain in the arse tho, you can order once a week, 3 crate max, expensive, and the deposit on the crates is €15 a pop, lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
out having fried chicken and a draught or two :toot:

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Is that the one in The Junction? Food there is pretty solid.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the very same! I was just there for a brew or two ( see previous pic lol )

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i found the tompouce beer sweet and saccharine-y. does kinda mimic the tompouce flavour tho.

only lowland beer i've tried

next week gonna try and get in on the latest trappist westvleteren sale, 3h drive each way to pick it up and ~€170 for 3 crates of 24 beers, but allegedly the best beer in the world

loving pain in the arse tho, you can order once a week, 3 crate max, expensive, and the deposit on the crates is €15 a pop, lmao

Yeah Westvleteren is pretty darn good, but it's been long surpassed as the best beer in the world. That was years ago before the craft scene exploded.

If you like Westvleteren you should try Bernardus, it's an abbey beer that has the same recipe, but different yeast strain from Westvleteren. They have some shared history where the Watou brewery used to help out Sint Sixtus with brewing or something like that, I forget the details. In any case the 2 beers are very similar but you can get Bernardus almost anywhere.

If you strike out in the allocation, I believe you can get sixpacks at the gift shop of the restaurant across the street (In de Vrede).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

friday night thoughts: wild turkey 101 makes a really good old fashioned with cherry bitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

same but four Roses and angostura bitters