Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but Pa Kettle sure isn't going to be able to figure that out.

Oh yeah for sure, there are folks who won’t really see the connection and just think “hey this pos doesn’t work” which is fine. I’m also sure there’s times where Keychain has actually hosed up and I don’t remember, I just find that its day to day utility far far far outweighs any small issues I may have encountered.

My biggest ACTUAL problem with keychain isn’t actually a keychain problem, it’s when websites have a password limit of like.. 10 characters and I can’t make keychain give me a shittier password :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ugh yeah that too. After it auto-fills a password it doesn't give you the option to change it or even copy-paste it into TextEdit so I can save it manually if I have to. I've more than once had to copy it BY HAND letter by letter, and it FADES OUT left-to-right so you can't make out the last letter AAAUUGHGHHH YOU FUCKERS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s when I open textedit real quick, hit the keyboard randomly and paste it into the field. Who got time for writing poo poo letter by letter :P

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Bitwarden is great, lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Martytoof posted:

I don’t have Dropbox but my first instinct would be to check System preferences -> Extensions -> Finder. Anything in there Dropbox-related?

That did the trick! Thanks. Didn't know this was a thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/23/macos-monterey-features-intel-incompatible/

Well, Object Capture is obviously not a deal breaker, neither is background blur in FaceTime (which Zoom does perfectly fine on my now poo poo 2014 rMBP, and Teams on my 2015 rMBP) but the 60 second limit (vs. forever for M1) for dictation for Intel seems forced/artificial.

So do the extra details in the Interactive Globe.

Seems more like 'we're not gonna pay our own programmers to do Intel code for everything anymore..'

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/23/macos-monterey-features-intel-incompatible/

Well, Object Capture is obviously not a deal breaker, neither is background blur in FaceTime (which Zoom does perfectly fine on my now poo poo 2014 rMBP, and Teams on my 2015 rMBP) but the 60 second limit (vs. forever for M1) for dictation for Intel seems forced/artificial.

So do the extra details in the Interactive Globe.

Seems more like 'we're not gonna pay our own programmers to do Intel code for everything anymore..'

Object Capture just seems to need 16GB of memory and 4GB VRAM on Intel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Nah, the dictation thing is MacRumors being poo poo at summarizing Apple's feature list. Before Monterey, dictation uploaded audio to an Apple server for processing, and was limited to 60 seconds on all Macs. In Monterey, the new M1 feature is on-device dictation. Not only does this protect your privacy, Apple removed the 60 second limit since it puts no load on their network or servers. Intel Macs are stuck uploading to the cloud, and still have the old limits.

That, Object Capture, and FaceTime background blur all seem likely to be Apple designing ML software exclusively for Apple's neural engine. They could make at least some of it work on x86 CPUs if they wanted to put in the effort, but I suspect these are all features where M1 Macs are getting a free ride on work that's really targeted for iPhones.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah Bob your corrections are spot on, I need to remember that MacRumors operates on a clickbait level mentality that enjoys itself the most when its sensationalizing trivialities found in iFixit take-aparts..

Speaking of which, Object Capture system requirements point up the fact that it will never run on lower end Intel MBPs / iMacs / Minis since when was the last time an Intel integrated GPU had access to more than 1.5 GB of RAM?

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

How's Parallels on ARM? I have an order in for one of the new MBPs, but, coming from an Intel one, I'm not looking forward to losing easy x86 virtualization.

ARM Windows wouldn't take care of my biggest use case (hardware that has x64 Windows-only drivers and software), but maybe it would cover some smaller ones when Crossover doesn't work for some reason so I wouldn't have to pull out a Windows computer for those? I've always used VMWare Fusion on Macs, though, and I have no idea how well any of this poo poo is working on the M1 Macs.

ive been pretty happy with my trial of parallels, doing x86 gaming on ARM win10 on my m1 mbp. defs gonna pick up a copy when my m1 max mbp comes

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 It's Apple Updates Day! 💩💩💩

Apple pinched out the following:

Security Update 2021-007 for macOS Catalina

macOS 11.6.1 Big Sur

and of course

macOS Monterey 12.0.1

no feature lists or bug fixes or any of that poo poo.

11.6.1 only available as delta patch, full installer probably in the next few days..

All these patches listed also include updates for BootROM on Intels and likely enhancements to startup code on M1s / T2 firmware updates.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 26, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

💩💩💩

Are you okay dude? Do you want to take a break? You seem pretty angry every update now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I just thought it was more accurate than :siren: because these updates often break more software than not..

next round of updates I'll go back to sirens..

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I just thought it was more accurate than :siren: because these updates often break more software than not..

"More software than not", so they break >50% of all software? When did that happen, is someone keeping track?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Keep the poop emojis please.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I’ve come around to the poop emojis but I don’t think anything’s really broken for me since the great 32 bit app purge

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They don’t necessarily break software so much as make bad changes for no reason. :colbert:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Safari tabs got reverted, so not every change sucks.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

They don’t necessarily break software so much as make bad changes for no reason. :colbert:

Do you have some examples? I'd be interested.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/07/14/macos-monterey-safari-redesign/

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Do you have some examples? I'd be interested.

I can't necessarily point to this release -> this problem, or even give you an extensive list of grievances, but macOS lacks its former luster. My biggest annoyance these days is with hotkeys.

In Finder:

⌥⌘W Close All: does not work if you have a tab open on the active window. It closes all tabs except the active tab on the active window only. All other windows stay open

In Preview:

⇧⌘E Export: doesn't work unless you "expose" the option first, either clicking on File in the menu bar or via search (⇧⌘/).

I know there are others, as well as other general UX issues, but I don't really remember them off the top of my head. Those are the two I run into most often.

edit: typo~

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 26, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BALLS DILDO posted:

ive been pretty happy with my trial of parallels, doing x86 gaming on ARM win10 on my m1 mbp. defs gonna pick up a copy when my m1 max mbp comes

Hmmm. Good to know. Thanks!

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

IUG posted:

Are you okay dude? Do you want to take a break? You seem pretty angry every update now.

I chuckle every time

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Toe Rag posted:

I'm willing to forgive everything for the inclusion of this option. Even if they'd never rolled back the Safari changes, this would have been worth it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

commie kong posted:

I chuckle every time

hence the reason for the poops

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Branch out! Poops and sirens are played out. Let your creativity run wild.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TACD posted:

I'm willing to forgive everything for the inclusion of this option. Even if they'd never rolled back the Safari changes, this would have been worth it.

Actually speaking of the menu bar, is there any way to disable its transparency without resorting to disabling all transparency in the OS via accessibility? I thought there was but I can't find it so either I made it up or they removed it. Not super fussed either way since I guess I'm going to choose a dark background -- dark mode has accustomed me to physically wince at a bright UI these days :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

any reason to upgrade to monterey? or not to upgrade? I'm on Big Sur on a 2019 intel MBP so I'm assuming it doesn't break anything major ... features are pretty underwhelming though

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Keep the poop.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
What are "shortcuts"? Some kind of AppleScript . . . thing?

My current Macs can't run Monterey, and my new MBP won't get here for another few weeks, so I can't try them out. All anybody says about them is that "they're like on your iPhone", but I don't use iOS, so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kreeblah posted:

What are "shortcuts"? Some kind of AppleScript . . . thing?

My current Macs can't run Monterey, and my new MBP won't get here for another few weeks, so I can't try them out. All anybody says about them is that "they're like on your iPhone", but I don't use iOS, so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Basically user friendly automation tools. Quite a community has built up around sharing and creating them since they launched on iOS. Mac already had Automator but Shortcuts is the new jam

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Puppy Galaxy posted:

any reason to upgrade to monterey? or not to upgrade? I'm on Big Sur on a 2019 intel MBP so I'm assuming it doesn't break anything major ... features are pretty underwhelming though

All the cool guys are doing it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

💩

Monterey? More like Manure-eray

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Stop stealing my emoji

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BALLS DILDO posted:

what's performance like? considering this for my m1 air

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I like that you can airplay to your Mac, so I can go from podcasts on my phone to YouTube or zoom without constantly moving my AirPods.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

Actually speaking of the menu bar, is there any way to disable its transparency without resorting to disabling all transparency in the OS via accessibility? I thought there was but I can't find it so either I made it up or they removed it. Not super fussed either way since I guess I'm going to choose a dark background -- dark mode has accustomed me to physically wince at a bright UI these days :(
I've been using a nice little app called Boring Old Menu Bar which allows you to customise the menu bar and seems to be working on Monterey so far (although I have no idea how it'll go with the notch in the new MBPs). I just set it to plain black (like the top bar in iPadOS or like Catalina used to do) and it works with the inverted icons even when you have the rest of the UI set to light:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I can't necessarily point to this release -> this problem, or even give you an extensive list of grievances, but macOS lacks its former luster.

Thanks, that helps me a lot.

I think I'm gonna stay on Panther.

It's always good to read the threads here, how else would I learn that everything is really crap, and in such specific ways?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I've been using a nice little app called Boring Old Menu Bar which allows you to customise the menu bar and seems to be working on Monterey so far (although I have no idea how it'll go with the notch in the new MBPs). I just set it to plain black (like the top bar in iPadOS or like Catalina used to do) and it works with the inverted icons even when you have the rest of the UI set to light:

This app is pretty cool. I think it takes a screenshot and somehow changes your desktop background. It sort of outlines its process when you change the menubar settings.

So I'd guess that however the notch is handled in screenshots (probably blacked out?), this app will reflect that and probably work okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Monterey supports VRR on external displays now. I wasn't expecting that.