Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

euphronius posted:

they get an order or opinion and comply with it ?

I’m beginning to wonder about a lot of you lol

anyway this is related to crypto i guess somehow

what happens if they don't comply with the order lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

euphronius posted:

they're all crypto anarchists

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Lol you are either naive as gently caress or an anarchist caricature at this point.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Both you and crypto are breathtakingly stupid

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Casey Finnigan posted:

But only sociopaths would refuse to comply!!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mostly people follow rules because they agree that it's good to have rules which everyone at least tries to follow, even if some of those rules are not correct. it does not seem to be the case that people are constantly on the watch for situations where they can break laws with which they disagree without being punished. someone who in principle believes that sixteen-year-olds should be able to buy alcohol is certainly more likely to sell a sixteen-year-old alcohol, but most likely they won't even if the risk of being caught is minimal

in the end, though, there's a fair amount of violence involved in keeping the edges from unravelling, and a great deal of implied violence keeping people from simply seceding and making their own laws. there's also violence (actual or implied) seeping in at almost every level of how those laws are formulated. it seems reasonable to argue that e.g. many kinds of property rights would be difficult to keep going without at least the threat of violence, for instance.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

putting a sign on the front door that says by breaking and entering into my home you agree to resolve the situation through binding arbitration

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
cspam econ discussion of the day summarized:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A Bakers Cousin posted:

cspam econ discussion of the day summarized:

THOSE ARE BAD!!!!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

euphronius posted:

My coworker from a former job bought debtors houses on bank mortgage auctions and got the police to evict the families if they tried to stay, hope ive helped you realize society will crush you and your family very violently if you don't have any money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s usually sheriffs that help with evictions but whatever

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Casey Finnigan posted:

the penalty for rejection of social mores has always been deprivation of the benefits of society.

cops and jails is just the most recent version of it because kicking someone out into the woods to fend for themselves and telling everyone in the area not to help them is a bit impractical now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

euphronius posted:

lmao you can just not post instead of telling on yourself like this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

euphronius posted:

sheriffs are famous for never using violence

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

its me the cspam poster trying to split hairs between the term police and sheirff

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Stereotype posted:

also deeds aren't stored only on paper lol

deed is stored in the balls

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
If you dont pay property taxes it takes longer but you will be thrown to the curb too. There is no escape from this, and if you try to live on the curb you will get even more violence...

It's very hard to believe property is in any way fair or consensual when its so often the 1° reason for horrible poo poo happening, people getting sick, losing jobs, being evicted for late rent then dying is very very common.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no one agrees with me it’s fine I’ll stop . sorry

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

euphronius posted:

Did this liberal seriously not understand that the monopoly on violence of the bourgeois state is the axiom upon which private property relationships exist

Is this dnd or something

Lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i wish euph wouldn't push this issue, but he seems to want to hold on to this dispute. let's jump out of this discussion eh?

euphronius posted:

my apologies, it appears you already tapped out

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

euphronius posted:

I'm earnestly trying to educate you, but like wtf man have you ever talked to a poor person in your life?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bagual posted:

If you dont pay property taxes it takes longer but you will be thrown to the curb too. There is no escape from this, and if you try to live on the curb you will get even more violence...

It's very hard to believe property is in any way fair or consensual when its so often the 1° reason for horrible poo poo happening, people getting sick, losing jobs, being evicted for late rent then dying is very very common.

but have you tried giving 6-figures to your friendly congressman so he can talk about it in a hotel ballroom

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Living in the USA has really broken people

1000%

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

Why live for tomorrow when profits can be seized today.
rule of acquisition number 28

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All of you live by my right my law

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

a deed is a document that is a reflection of grant by the crown to some rights in land that is recognized by the courts. the various rituals around the deed protect its authenticity but they mostly exist - as used - as reproduced images . that’s it

if there were a crypto crown and crypto courts then crypto would be similar to deeds but there isn’t

I know someone who threw out a few dozen original mortgage documents on accident once

Had to write a whole bunch of lost note affidavits

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I spent the night in Telluride CO because I was heading north from Santa Fe and let me tell you something, there is absolutely no economic problem there.

best thing was watching four guys talking about "luxury boats and their 4,000 square foot houses" get openly mocked by the bartender and three "assumingly" blue collar workers getting drunk at the bar.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jabronie posted:

Marx failed to predict the revolution never starting since we ran out of pamphlet paper.

The Collapse of European Trotskyism

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Forseti posted:

You could get a guide certification and be a guide for a living. Probably pays pretty poo poo though if I had to guess.

Let's get a third person and sea-to-summit Rainier, been wanting to do that for a long time!

drat dude, you might be on to something.

I asked my case manager at VAC about that on a whim today, and as long as the career ultimately pays 66 and 2/3rds my military pay, they’ll cover a semester of climbing school the same way they cover a semester of anything else.

I just got back from Jasper again, I’m reluctant to climb in the states because of Covid. When I did Wapta last year, two people have to get Air MEDEVAC because they developed Covid symptoms once they got about 10k ft . If anyone was ever curious about it, this is another thing that Covid and the poo poo economy have made cheaper than I’ve ever seen it. Two other covid/poo poo economy side effects: No international travel means that you aren’t competing with Chinese tourists, but Edmonton and Calgary office workers have decided to just climb on a whim and rescues are through the roof.

How has covid hosed up climbing in the states? Is everything inexpensive there right now too?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
someone should really finish and layout the rules of acquisition completely. At this point Americans are ferrengi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xeom posted:

someone should really finish and layout the rules of acquisition completely. At this point Americans are ferrengi.
imagining Wallace Shawn screeching "it's on the BLOCK CHAIIIN, QUARK!"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, how would you buy a Fiat car without it?

Fiat makes shitboxes.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

Just because people happily follow the rules most of the time doesn't mean that they aren't still ultimately backed up by force, regardless of country. goddamn

the systems of consent are backed by the systems of coercion, that's the dialectic of capitalism baby

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I talked to two separate people today at my warehouse who are voluntarily picking up extra shifts and working 7 day 60 hour weeks so they could put more money into the stock market. Number looking strong!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't know why the concept of fiat currency is so difficult to get for people

it's not that complicated
well in the US context it really is since searching for information on it is more likely to take you to some wingnut sites with a mission of confusing you as much as possible

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Xeom posted:

Ferengi canonically took 50% more history to reach FTL travel than humans, due in part to being as a society unwilling to take serious risks with their planetary ecology (there’s no profit in Ferenginar becoming uninhabitable). it’s a pretty silly story conceit but it does allow me to point out that Ferengi are better than Americans in almost every way

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Forseti posted:

You could get a guide certification and be a guide for a living. Probably pays pretty poo poo though if I had to guess.

Let's get a third person and sea-to-summit Rainier, been wanting to do that for a long time!

yeah there's a joke in the outdoor community, what's the difference between a mountain guide and a large pizza?

the pizza can feed a family of four

guiding work is highly seasonal and pretty demanding, both in physical ability and skills. you've got to constantly be doing trainings, keeping first aid certs up, etc. which all cost money and you need a ton of expensive gear to get started and get experience. a lot of guides basically live out of their van and do ski patrol in colorado/wyoming resorts during the winter and then mountain guiding on rainier and other popular peaks in the summer. it pays poo poo but it's a super alternative lifestyle where you'll never have a pencil pusher boss on your back. it's stressful in other ways though as you're responsible for people in very dangerous places and constantly have to be on alert for your and their lives--kind of like watching a toddler

edit: the better move is to find work at an outdoor gear company like REI, MSR, outdoor research, etc. there's a ton more options for real work that can sustain a person, and all of your coworkers, bosses, etc. are outdoor freaks too who just want to get out and get at it

mod sassinator has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I talked to two separate people today at my warehouse who are voluntarily picking up extra shifts and working 7 day 60 hour weeks so they could put more money into the stock market. Number looking strong!

it’s called hustle, baby