Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.
I'm just going to step in and say that despite a high signal-to-noise ratio, there have been some really good suggestions in this thread. I personally would really like to see the USPol/News thread either eliminated or seriously curtailed just on the principal that we don't really need a catch-all chat thread (that's what the ability to create new threads is for) and in it's current iteration USNews sucks up all the oxygen for other threads while at the same time being an un-moderateable pressure cooker for posters' inherent character defects.

In addition, I would like to add that the posters who are trying to lay this all at the feet of the mods (and of the current mod staff, no less--like this hasn't been a problem for most of the 17 years that I have been lurking and posting on this subforum) are completely full of poo poo. The mods in D&D (current mod staff included) have had their share of gently caress ups and bad calls, but if nearly any of the people coming in here to demand that the mods resign/self-flagellate/self-imolate have ever contributed meaningfully to a discussion in this subforum, I sure as gently caress don't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

..harsh but fair

I got a couple effortposts in me queue, not sure where to post them now that Jeff took the qcs thread out behind the barn

You're a mod, post them here where people can respond to them and also post them in the closed QCS thread for anyone who was only paying attention to that thread.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jazerus posted:

hi i don't have much to say about d&d that i haven't already said in the QCS thread but i want to dispute this

the blow zone was good, it worked, you felt you had to close it because you were uncomfortable with people being angry at each other and also you were uncomfortable with the fact that at least one poster on the d&d "side" took their mask off and went full "tara reade is a liar", something which had to be pointed out to you and which you punished with a 6er, the probation type that isn't really a punishment. people were uncomfortable with your non-punishment and posted angrily at you. all of these things came together to make you feel that the blow zone was sufficiently uncivilized so as to require never opening it up again.

none of that is a law of nature. you didn't "have to" close it, but you did, because you didn't want to let the de facto "succ zone embassy" actually operate by succ zone rules in order to let folks work out their grievances. if the blow zone was a permanent weekly institution i think you would see the same pattern every week: level-headed discussions and people reaching out across the battle lines, mixed in with people arguing and laying out their grievances. that's what any "outlet" thread designed for people to work their anxiety and shitposting out in is going to look like. it's what the last incarnation of the blow zone looked like - don't minimize the reasonable discussions that were taking place over the whole weekend just because they were interspersed with the more heated stuff.

anyway basically the blow zone worked, if you were to continue it it would continue to work and would both let people slapfight in an isolated manner, and occasionally reveal the "bad apples" in d&d when they get baited into writing screeds about tara reade or whatever issue of the day is contentious. you may not be the mod that should shepherd the blow zone in the future, however, because you do not like angry discussions nor do you recognize/appropriately respond to the severity of situations where posters take their mask off and say nasty poo poo

Yeah it certainly made USNews less of a problem while it was open, right? From my perspective it was a successful containment zone and could only be considered a failure if posting stopped there. I don't think it's helpful to care about the content of the posts much if it didn't dissuade posters from :justpost: inside.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

hi i don't have much to say about d&d that i haven't already said in the QCS thread but i want to dispute this

the blow zone was good, it worked, you felt you had to close it because you were uncomfortable with people being angry at each other and also you were uncomfortable with the fact that at least one poster on the d&d "side" took their mask off and went full "tara reade is a liar", something which had to be pointed out to you and which you punished with a 6er, the probation type that isn't really a punishment. people were uncomfortable with your non-punishment and posted angrily at you. all of these things came together to make you feel that the blow zone was sufficiently uncivilized so as to require never opening it up again.

none of that is a law of nature. you didn't "have to" close it, but you did, because you didn't want to let the de facto "succ zone embassy" actually operate by succ zone rules in order to let folks work out their grievances. if the blow zone was a permanent weekly institution i think you would see the same pattern every week: level-headed discussions and people reaching out across the battle lines, mixed in with people arguing and laying out their grievances. that's what any "outlet" thread designed for people to work their anxiety and shitposting out in is going to look like. it's what the last incarnation of the blow zone looked like - don't minimize the reasonable discussions that were taking place over the whole weekend just because they were interspersed with the more heated stuff.

anyway basically the blow zone worked, if you were to continue it it would continue to work and would both let people slapfight in an isolated manner, and occasionally reveal the "bad apples" in d&d when they get baited into writing screeds about tara reade or whatever issue of the day is contentious. you may not be the mod that should shepherd the blow zone in the future, however, because you do not like angry discussions nor do you recognize/appropriately respond to the severity of situations where posters take their mask off and say nasty poo poo

"You are all a bunch of rape apologists" just ain't the quality posting you think it is I was hoping for, I wanted more chill chat than anything.. But maybe given the desire for us to be hands off, we can bring it back. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore.

Who knows what the weekend will bring.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

fool of sound posted:

No it's the conversation that 2-3 people want to have, while the other 100 regulars in USPol PM me 8 times and file collectively 30 reports about because they want to discuss breaking news in USNews, not vaping policy.

Isn’t it kinda weird that per this an apparent majority of posters in that thread would prefer a mod stomping in with a declaration or a probe instead of just posting content themselves to re-rail the thread? I don’t follow it fully, but do posters coming in with posts like “sorry to interrupt vape chat, but here’s a news thing” get yelled at by the vape chat derailers or something?…

If the problem they say is specifically the “I use this as a newsfeed, wtf is this poo poo” thing, you’ll never solve that within a single thread since that’s not what discussion is. You could do a slow mode news feed thread and encourage people to quote and respond in the monthly discussion thread or whatever.

but, regardless, if D&D regulars often swarm mods in a way that is not replicated elsewhere on the forums, it kinda makes you think, huh?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

"You are all a bunch of rape apologists" just ain't the quality posting you think it is. But maybe given the desire for us to be hands off, we can bring it back. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore.

The Blow Zone was a bad idea that was incompatible with the nature of this forum. If people want a place to post like CSPAM, such a forum already exists. D&D should be its own thing, and if people don't like it they can just not post here.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

"You are all a bunch of rape apologists" just ain't the quality posting you think it is I was hoping for, I wanted more chill chat than anything.. But maybe given the desire for us to be hands off, we can bring it back. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore.

hey i was part of chill chat crew in that thread too. but like, some folks in d&d want to punch lib and let die until his teeth fall out, and he wants to do the same to them, so let em say "gently caress you" to each other and just give a big fat probation whenever someone does a calm hitler routine or gets weird/creepy. don't interject yourself the way you did in the last blow zone and nobody will be rude to you, just watch the posts and hit people when they're over the line. the fact is that that discussion could happen in cspam if the d&d regulars that want to fight would post in a thread there, but they won't, so you have a monopoly on providing the venue for the most tedious weekend entertainment of all time which will also miraculously clear up your big megathreads! what an opportunity

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 27, 2021

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jazerus posted:

I like how everyone forgets about the game show certain posters made about harassing survivors to ritualistic denounce voting for Joe Biden or prove themselves rape apologists in the blow thread. Something they themselves admit they shouldn't have done and apologized for.

I shouldn't have posted what I did. It was unnecessarily inflammatory, and it hurt people that I had no cause to hurt. But it's really hard to take the outrage like this seriously when it's being described as 'nasty poo poo' and a screed, yet the entirety of my post could fit in a redtext. I didn't help the blow thread, but I sure as hell wasn't the one who turn it into a smoking crater.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Right now it’d just be another thread where D&D meta is discussed, which right now will inevitably lead to bad moderator actions, which will appropriately upset people, so maybe not a great idea. Did that thread even start with a topic other than “let’s mock cspam”? It didn’t seem like good framing for chill chat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cloaked posted:

Right now it’d just be another thread where D&D meta is discussed, which right now will inevitably lead to bad moderator actions, which will appropriately upset people, so maybe not a great idea. Did that thread even start with a topic other than “let’s mock cspam”? It didn’t seem like good framing for chill chat.

No, the goal was not mock cspam. Not only is riling up cross forums drama something we actively try to avoid, it doesn't make any sense to do.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I like how everyone forgets about the game show certain posters made about harassing survivors to ritualistic denounce voting for Joe Biden or prove themselves rape apologists in the blow thread. Something they themselves admit they shouldn't have done and apologized for.

I shouldn't have posted what I did. It was unnecessarily inflammatory, and it hurt people that I had no cause to hurt. But it's really hard to take the outrage like this seriously when it's being described as 'nasty poo poo' and a screed, yet the entirety of my post could fit in a redtext. I didn't help the blow thread, but I sure as hell wasn't the one who turn it into a smoking crater.

wasn't aware screeds had a minimum word count, i learned something

anyway i wasn't intending to provide an encyclopedic accounting of all of the ways the blow zone devolved into an argument toward the end. both sides of the argument were probably a bit too lovely, your post won the crown for sucking the most but you weren't alone. while this day-long posting war was going on, nobody was slapfighting in other threads in d&d, providing a better experience for everyone. and some fun jokes were posted along the way (mostly before the fight started)

the point is that it was created at least partially as a containment thread, and then shut down because it contained exactly the substance it was made to hold. it was also created as a chill chat thread, and there was chill chat for probably half the thread's lifespan, too. as a thread concept it was successful in doing it was created to do, even if the resulting product was sometimes ugly. there's nowhere to go but up and i have confidence in the diplomatic process and that things can improve as the blow zone develops into its own "thing"

Cloaked posted:

no lol. it was "hey let's have a thread where succ zone posters/cspammers in general come to hang out in d&d and post with d&d regulars" and i don't think anyone came away from it with hard feelings about the thread itself. i certainly didn't. it revealed some common ground and some boisterous disagreements.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 27, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
blow zone thread did seem to work somewhat as a place to blow off steam since I recall USNews improving while blow was open. But I also don't follow USNews super closely most of the time.

Since Lib and let die was doing some number crunching earlier I'll return the favor. In case you weren't aware you can look at the top 30 posters in a thread by clicking the # of posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3979833

The 30 top posters in the blow zone totaled about three thousand of four thousand total posts (3019 / 4128) so it's pretty evident it was a small number of posters actually participating.

I think the issue is there are a dozen other places to shitpost and chat and many D&D regulars don't look here for that specifically.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

CommieGIR posted:

Is anybody not in agreement that the mass incarceration of black Americans is basically genocide? I mean given that the US Justice system in general is steeped in White Supremacy oriented towards doing oppressive, genocide like things?

Caring about it, sure. Whether or not it IS by definition, genocide, is another. Nobody is saying you personally have to do anything about it (you can't).

lmao if this is your position then surely anyone that advocates for one of the chief architects of this genocidal system should be forum-banned, right?

my mod feedback is to demod this guy because he absolutely should not have access to buttons. i don't think he's particularly mean-spirited (thats ralph, who should also be de-modded) he's just really not suited to being a mod as he's basically the posting equivalent of a golden retriever. golden retrievers are great, everyone loves them. but theyre dumb as hell and absolutely should not be in charge of anything at all.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jazerus posted:

wasn't aware screeds had a minimum word count, i learned something

anyway i wasn't intending to provide an encyclopedic accounting of all of the ways the blow zone devolved into an argument toward the end. both sides of the argument were probably a bit too lovely, your post won the crown for sucking the most but you weren't alone. while this day-long posting war was going on, nobody was slapfighting in other threads in d&d, providing a better experience for everyone. and some fun jokes were posted along the way (mostly before the fight started)

the point is that it was created at least partially as a containment thread, and then shut down because it contained exactly the substance it was made to hold. it was also created as a chill chat thread, and there was chill chat for probably half the thread's lifespan, too. as a thread concept it was successful in doing it was created to do, even if the resulting product was sometimes ugly. there's nowhere to go but up and i have confidence in the diplomatic process and that things can improve as the blow zone develops into its own "thing"
Calling a bunch of posters rape apologists for voting for Biden isn't chill posting.

And I know I was literally the only one, because as mentioned before, there was a running tally being presented as a game. Well... until Assange got brought up, and suddenly a lot more posters started having nuanced views. Those didn't get included in the tally though, for some reason.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pobrecito posted:

golden retrievers are great, everyone loves them. but theyre dumb as hell and absolutely should not be in charge of anything at all.

Wait, seriously?! Uh, I gotta go into work.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Tibalt posted:

You also still posted rape apologia about Tara Reade. You directly, literally did that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fool of sound posted:

That sure is a lot of words to call me a patholical liar, MSDOS. It's funny that you would call anyone pathological when you've spent the entire last year of your posting exclusively complaining about D&D in other forums. Don't post in this thread again.

Sorry that this was three pages ago, but this is an absolutely embarrassing response to a legitimate criticism of the moderation of this forum. You literally set up this "pathological" strawman (something never said by the poster!) then ban them from the feedback thread for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nucleic Acids posted:

You also still posted rape apologia about Tara Reade. You directly, literally did that.

Let's not start that up here, thanks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Let's not start that up here, thanks.

are you ever gonna deal with the fact that you gave him a slap on the wrist for some absolutely disgusting actions and words? Are you going to take action that redresses that? at all?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tibalt posted:

I don't know what you're going on about, but you don't get to use survivors as your personal shield when you're questioning other survivors' stories. If you're a survivor, please don't question other survivor's stories. It's as simple as that.

Stuff like this is going to make people really uncomfortable posting here. It's not just a meme, it's actively distressing and I was really tempted right now to just ask for a forum ban so I could spare myself posting with stuff like this. Maybe I still should. I dunno. Night's late, I'll give myself morning to think about it.

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

You did the right thing by calling us.

Probably Magic posted:

I don't know what you're going on about, but you don't get to use survivors as your personal shield when you're questioning other survivors' stories. If you're a survivor, please don't question other survivor's stories. It's as simple as that.

Stuff like this is going to make people really uncomfortable posting here. It's not just a meme, it's actively distressing and I was really tempted right now to just ask for a forum ban so I could spare myself posting with stuff like this. Maybe I still should. I dunno. Night's late, I'll give myself morning to think about it.

I hate how D&D talks about rape in general, in both the apologia and the "why do you love rape, biden voter". It's extremely distressing in a fight-or-flight panic kind of way.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Calling a bunch of posters rape apologists for voting for Biden isn't chill posting.

And I know I was literally the only one, because as mentioned before, there was a running tally being presented as a game. Well... until Assange got brought up, and suddenly a lot more posters started having nuanced views. Those didn't get included in the tally though, for some reason.

What does it say about you that winning "the game" involved just not openly posting rape apologia and you still lost it

Would love to see examples of Assange nuance posting though

e: for the record I thought GHF's bargain bin Taintrunner act had become extremely tedious to read and I hoped he'd just give it a rest right up until the point this dude was just like "yeah the rape victim lied"

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 27, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

are you ever gonna deal with the fact that you gave him a slap on the wrist for some absolutely disgusting actions and words? Are you going to take action that redresses that? at all?

No, and this thread isn't the re-litigate probes thread. And your inability to expect mods to be fallible humans who make mistakes is interesting.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 27, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Forum bans are never a knee jerk reaction and they are almost always due to a long history of shithouse posting / probations. And yes, mods discuss it.

If that is the case, it does not make sense that it took data analysis and regex searches to cobble together a list of who might be inferred as forum banned. Presumably if the mods carefully considered each of those then they would already know who they did it to, which, they didn't.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

made some charts. all of these are limited to the calendar year 2021, and only scraping data from public forums because i didnt log in to scrape the data

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 27, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm cum probe time in hours

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lib and let die posted:

I'm cum probe time in hours

youre the one who taught me to use microsoft power bi

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fart simpson posted:

made some charts. all of these are limited to the calendar year 2021, and only scraping data from public forums because i didnt log in to scrape the data

Great work! Would it be possible to see probes per user per thread or forum.

poo poo, I didn't know PowerBI did web scraping. I'll have to check that out

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That is thoroughly impressive.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

And your inability to expect mods to be fallible humans who make mistakes is interesting.

??? It's not about being infallible it's about correcting your mistakes, something which hasn't been done in the specific case in mention, which just so happens to reflect a pattern in D&D, hence it continuing to come up each time one of these threads is around. No one is trying to "own" you for making a mistake.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Thank you for making those graphs, I like graphs.

My main takeaway is that Vilerat is not earning his paycheck.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fritz the Horse posted:

My main takeaway is that Vilerat is not earning his paycheck.

:chloe:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and open the thread back up to civil and productive discussion between posters since the mods probably aren't going to be around a ton overnight.

Grooglon posted:

I hate how D&D talks about rape in general, in both the apologia and the "why do you love rape, biden voter". It's extremely distressing in a fight-or-flight panic kind of way.

Yeah this is any ongoing issue that I constantly worry about and don't feel that I have a grasp on how to handle. I want D&D to be a place where people can respectfully and above all safely discuss abuse, but the current dont-ask-dont-tell-esque setup is awful and leads to an environment where no discussion can happen at all.

My observations are:
---Accusations of abuse need to be handled with utmost respect and circumspection; skepticism is weaponized against victims in order to silence them, especially by powerful people.
---Bringing up accusations as a litmus test of other posters is exploitative and highly disrespectful both to other posters an survivors in general; many posters have suffered abuse themselves, and labeling people as pro-rape is wildly out of line.
---Posters need to feel confident that they can share, discuss, and learn without risking severe punishment for honest missteps, unless they've severe. Survivors need to feel confident that should moderation be needed, that have someone they can trust to discuss the issue with them and act appropriately.

I'm particularly interested in hearing advice from people who have some experience or expertise in how abuse should be discussed. This is strictly voluntary, any poster who doesn't feel comfortable discussing this subject in this venue does not have to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fart simpson posted:

1) your legends kinda suck
2) I would very much like it if they were better because I am more data science poisoned than almost anyone you will ever meet

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2) I would very much like it if they were better because I am more data science poisoned than almost anyone you will ever meet

Jesus man why not a thank you before you just poo poo all over it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

No, the goal was not mock cspam. Not only is riling up cross forums drama something we actively try to avoid, it doesn't make any sense to do.

Why did you name it a parody of a cspam thread then? Fwiw "the suck zone" is a reference to the 90s movie Twister about storm chasers and featuring the #3 hit single "Long Way Down" by the Goo Goo Dolls. What's the meaning of "the blow zone"?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i dont care. you do it then, ill even send you the raw data if you want

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

This is all fantastic, and is working as most D&D regulars want, and if anything, Handsome Ralph deserves a raise.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CommieGIR posted:

No, and this thread isn't the re-litigate probes thread. And your inability to expect mods to be fallible humans who make mistakes is interesting.

you know you can go back and give that guy a week or a ban+30 whatever right. you know it doesnt have to stay a 6er. you know that right

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lmfao

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
e: quote edit