Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I regrease my remedy's pivots annually and it stops the creaks. When I bought it second hand it creaked like crazy and I thought a bearing was probably bad. But nope just needed some grease.

That seems like crazy low time though for those issues on a new bike and should totally be a warranty thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My 2020 roscoe 8 had a cage bearing headset and got super crunchy contaminated with mud within 2 months and they wouldn't warranty it :mad:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Boogalo posted:

My 2020 roscoe 8 had a cage bearing headset and got super crunchy contaminated with mud within 2 months and they wouldn't warranty it :mad:

I'm mad on your behalf that they put a caged bearing headset on a real bike in tyool 2020. wtf?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have part of a thing :woop::woop::woop:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
drat, that's nice

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Guerilla gravity bikes seem to be very well specced for the price. That frame looks sweet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's a gruesome bike stand

or a very Halloween-themed one.

goodposter
Sep 1, 2018
Hello, hopefully this is a good place to ask about mountain biking helmets.

I'm looking for a relatively light, full face helmet to wear for e-scootering which would fit my quite a large, size 63+ head. Right now I'm using a proper modular motorcycle helmet, which I feel it's a bit of an overkill for scootering on city sidewalks and bikelanes at max 20 mph, but I'd still like to keep my teeth once I flip over the handlebars hitting a curb or something. I haven't had much luck with the motocross helmets I've tried on brick and mortar stores so far, they tend to be on the small side, particularly too narrow for my noggin'. Perhaps somebody has any suggestions?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

goodposter posted:

Hello, hopefully this is a good place to ask about mountain biking helmets.

I'm looking for a relatively light, full face helmet to wear for e-scootering which would fit my quite a large, size 63+ head. Right now I'm using a proper modular motorcycle helmet, which I feel it's a bit of an overkill for scootering on city sidewalks and bikelanes at max 20 mph, but I'd still like to keep my teeth once I flip over the handlebars hitting a curb or something. I haven't had much luck with the motocross helmets I've tried on brick and mortar stores so far, they tend to be on the small side, particularly too narrow for my noggin'. Perhaps somebody has any suggestions?

Fox proframe maybe.

e: Not every bike shop will have every type of helmet, and none of them will order them in just for you to try on, so I'd just go to your local (bike) shop and see what they have and try on some helmets.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

An option if you really want light would be a convertible full face. They aren't as tough as a downhill rated one but still good protection. I use a bell super air r and it's very comfy and light and the chin bar is sturdy.

They tend to be more expensive though than a regular MTB full face.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

VelociBacon posted:

Fox proframe maybe.

I'll 2nd the proframe. Extremely light, and the only helmet I've found that fits my watermelon head. Expensive though, I'm on my 2nd one. No concussion when I cracked the first :sun:

I've heard the six six one reset is slightly larger, but is more enclosed and heavier. I'll try it at some point but have been happy with the proframe.

If you have an LBS, ask them to order one for you so you won't be stuck with it if it doesn't fit. Supplies suck though, it took me 6 months to replace my cracked one. Fox does not have a crash replacement warranty or program, but if you bug customer service, they'll give you a 30% off coupon.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Update on my Fuel EX 7 with the bearing issues - the head mechanic at the Trek shop called me shortly after I made my last post, and told me that several bolts in the rear triangle had gotten loose, and grit had probably gotten into the bearings. He said he tore down the entire rear triangle, cleaned everything up and regreased the bearings. He said things were moving again, and he asked me to pay $100 for the labor involved in taking apart and rebuilding the rear triangle.

I figured those bolts shouldn't be loose after two months and it indicated they were probably not torqued properly before I left the shop.

I didn't find this fair so I called Trek corporate and they said it should be a warranty claim. So I went to the shop and explained this and the mechanic submitted it as a claim. I haven't heard any updates so I assume the charge has been wiped.

Needless to say I am not going back to that shop.

It sucks because this shop is five minutes from me and the next closest Trek dealer (not a "Trek Store") is thirty minutes. The good news for me is that the other Trek dealer is right next to a fun trail system, and they brew beer and have a little bar area so I can enjoy that at least when I bring my bike for service.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

me your dad posted:

It sucks because this shop is five minutes from me and the next closest Trek dealer (not a "Trek Store") is thirty minutes. The good news for me is that the other Trek dealer is right next to a fun trail system, and they brew beer and have a little bar area so I can enjoy that at least when I bring my bike for service.

Can vouch that "the other Trek dealer" in this case is good people even if they're less convenient to get to. And yeah, this happening within two months shouldn't be on you. They should have processed it as warranty work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't get too peeved at the shop for the pivot bolts coming loose, that's not something that's supposed to really need checking during assembly. I would definitely be peeved at them charging a hundo for fixing it though.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is plus dead? Found a nice used bike but it's currently got a fancy 27.5 wheelset with some 3.0 tires. I've never ridden 27.5 or plus.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya p much, in the traditional sense. You can still get tires that would pair well with the bike but they'll be a bit narrower than a traditional + tire. Going to a 2.6-2.8 will lower the bike a bit but not unmanageably so.

If you really love the rest of it you aren't doing yourself a colossal disservice buying it but if you aren't super keen on the bike either talk em down or pass on it.

Most 27.5+ bikes will also fit a 29er wheelset decently as well but there might be clearance issues if you go with a 2.4 or bigger, which is all the rage right now. All depends on the frame.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Did some good recent mountain bicycling

Thursday, showed up for the group ride, but weather had been questionable and only one other guy showed up. It wound up being nice and only sprinkled slightly at the end.

Reasonably happy with my lights setup. Light and motion 1200 on the bars, outbound hangover on helmet. Both self contained, which i suppose has the downside of shorter battery life. The outbound is nice but could be brighter.

Then I got a burger

Friday it was really nice so I decided to go up a mountain and try the new trail that's open but not officially open

It's a long rear end way to the top up a lot of switchbacks. The land trust had to piece together a lot of narrow slivers of land and easements to get up there. This is only like halfway

There's a loop around the peak, which you can't actually go up to because it's still private property.

But you get a nice view in all directions. This picture is from a thursday night ride earlier this summer looking southish at the bitterroots

I didn't get around that far this time though, because

new loving trail. This project is huge, and most of the new land is on the other side of that mountain, where there is a little bit of trail and some cool gravel routes.

The new trail goes follows the ridgeline out to a road junction. I am farther from town now

Then I came back on trails on the other side of the valley. This whole ridge:

Today's ride was a little colder and I didn't think it was wise to descend the other side from here, where it would be more snowy and slippery.

The more sun exposed aspects were warmer and had clearer trails

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 8, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yes more pictures! So jealous of where you live jamal.

Had a nice lunch ride today, colours of the trees are particularly good at the moment.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I love that bike. I hope you’re able to take it somewhere steep and smash the hell out of it sometimes :allears:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ohh yes the majority of the time it's on steep and natural trails, unbelievably confidence inspiring.

Edit - This is a typical feature on our local trails (me at the top for scale):

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 8, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
couple little roots there at the bottom just waiting to take out your front wheel once you think you've cleared the worst part

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Geometrons are loving sick and I really want one, super high on my list for potential Enduro bikes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

jamal posted:

Did some good recent mountain bicycling

Great photos. Love it. This is somewhere in Montana?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Same poo poo.

Got a new seatpost

Turns out that's the best $/g weight saving measure I've taken so far. 175mm regular transfer measured 631 on our scale, this post is 378 (listed weights are a bit lower for both). When I go back to XC tires it should be under 26lbs which I suppose is about as light as this bike is going to get.

First ride 100mm seems like enough drop. Pops down really easily to the bottom and so far with the shorter travel I'm not looking for those intermediate spots. With the 175mm post all the way down wasn't really a natural move so I'd usually only be partway down anyway. Didn't ride anything really steep or rough though. The original post was getting finicky, and then if I got anywhere near torque spec on the clamp the SL was sticking too. I think the problem has been the collar all along, swapped that and I can tighten it more and it operates more smoothly. Same kona clamp wrecked the carbon post in my cx bike too, so good job on that kona...

Oh and then some friends saw these tracks the other day right past the main trailhead. Who can tell me what kind of a bear that was

E-one more from today. It was really nice out.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 16, 2021

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In MTB exploded my humerus updates I had my 6 week post surgery checkup today and was very happy to hear that my bone is fully fuzed and in excellent allignment. I now have the greenlight to start full physio with resistance training etc.

The surgeon is very confident i'll get my full range of motion and strength back but it could be up to a year to get full range back.

Very encouraging as the last 7 weeks have sucked a lot and its good to be on the mend :toot:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

spwrozek posted:

The thought of a "few rides" after degrease and removing all the lube... the sound it must make.

You’re not close to “removing all the lube” with a rag, it takes a soak in petrol or turpentine, then degreaser to even touch it.

Lube on the outside of the chain is worthless and purely a dirt trap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

In MTB exploded my humerus updates I had my 6 week post surgery checkup today and was very happy to hear that my bone is fully fuzed and in excellent allignment. I now have the greenlight to start full physio with resistance training etc.

The surgeon is very confident i'll get my full range of motion and strength back but it could be up to a year to get full range back.

Very encouraging as the last 7 weeks have sucked a lot and its good to be on the mend :toot:

Great to hear. Hoping you recover fully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

Great to hear. Hoping you recover fully.

+1. Nasty sounding injury so good news.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

mashed_penguin posted:

drat that sounds pretty intense, glad to hear you're recovering well!

In other news, night rides rule.

https://v.redd.it/xb3054otpb081/DASH_1080.mp4

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
@mashed_penguin, Good poo poo. Hope you can get back on the bike soon.

Aphex- posted:

drat that sounds pretty intense, glad to hear you're recovering well!

In other news, night rides rule.

What light is that on your handlebar? I'm in the market for one. I have a Cygolite Metro 1100 that I plan to mount to my helmet.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

PolishPandaBear posted:

What light is that on your handlebar? I'm in the market for one. I have a Cygolite Metro 1100 that I plan to mount to my helmet.

It's a MTB Batteries Lumenator. It's 2200 which I think is good enough, especially when paired with my 1100 Exposure Joystick helmet light.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone run a Dissector as a front tire? Like it?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

PolishPandaBear posted:

I did ask the surgeon what activities I should avoid - "mountain biking" with the most :smuggo: of faces.

He said that I should make sure I have good strength and range of motion back before trying any trail riding so that I don't break anything else but I should be able to start riding for fitness on the flat trails pretty soon. Realistically I don't think i'm going to be on the trails until the spring at the earliest but honestly thats not the worst thing in the PNW.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Has anyone got any tips on buying a bike online? Specifically thinking about buying a fully kitted bike vs buying a frame/suspension and building up from there.

The parts on the fully kitted bike are all pretty great, and are about what I would buy to put on it. That way I dont have to wait forever for things like say, a Deore XT drivetrain and brakes.

On the other hand, it would be cooler if I built it up on my own.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah that was similar advice as what my pt gave me, the bone will be fused to take regular load pretty quickly (sounds like we're both at this point now) but impact strength is a ways off. I've been doing some gravel rides on my MTB to get back on the bike and it doesn't bother my collarbone at all, but I still don't have the strength or control to pick the front end up or really do much other than chill rides on easy trails/gravel roads.

i flunked out posted:

Has anyone got any tips on buying a bike online? Specifically thinking about buying a fully kitted bike vs buying a frame/suspension and building up from there.

The parts on the fully kitted bike are all pretty great, and are about what I would buy to put on it. That way I dont have to wait forever for things like say, a Deore XT drivetrain and brakes.

buying a complete is always going to be cheaper and easier than building something up custom, and unless you are really into building your own bike and the money and time and frustration of sourcing all the components these days is worth it I'd highly highly recommend buying a complete.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 18, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

i flunked out posted:

Make sure it fits

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

i flunked out posted:

building from parts is always way more expensive and it'll take loving ages with the current shortages. Get a fully kitted bike, always, imo. Building from scratch only if you want something really unique or just really enjoy the process.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Being able to ride the bike around for a little bit at the very least goes a long way, imo. I loved a rental bike so much that I (the first rider on it) shipped it home across the country. I could have saved $150 by just buying it near my home, but I already felt great on this bike so I bought it.

I'm only just regretting it because I can't get anyone to service the fork or get me the stuff I need to service it myself. 2021 woes continue :sigh:

Guess I'll ride it until it implodes and then swap a new fork.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

Being able to ride the bike around for a little bit at the very least goes a long way, imo. I loved a rental bike so much that I (the first rider on it) shipped it home across the country. I could have saved $150 by just buying it near my home, but I already felt great on this bike so I bought it.

I'm only just regretting it because I can't get anyone to service the fork or get me the stuff I need to service it myself. 2021 woes continue :sigh:

Guess I'll ride it until it implodes and then swap a new fork.

DirtLabs takes mail orders for fork service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Make sure it fits

Nocheez posted:

It's a bike I have ridden before and really liked, so I want my own

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

buying a complete is always going to be cheaper and easier than building something up custom, and unless you are really into building your own bike and the money and time and frustration of sourcing all the components these days is worth it I'd highly highly recommend buying a complete.

Samopsa posted:

building from parts is always way more expensive and it'll take loving ages with the current shortages. Get a fully kitted bike, always, imo. Building from scratch only if you want something really unique or just really enjoy the process.

TY for the advice. That was kinda what I was thinking.