Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I thought this was an hour but no, there is a playlist and it's ten hours. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This dude is 42 years old wtf

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Tim is doing his one man show about his life and also a video game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This also works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBKX_vdYQI&list=PLJ30Ch0mLmzJH9qX4VsWZUC73YoQqHNkS

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The writing is fantastic as always, but even for Tim Rogers's Tim Rogersing by Tim Rogers, I don't see why he had to hold his breath for the 4K version. His monologue footage is either 1080p or badly out of focus--when you see him cut to his own old footage of the FF7R review, it looks right. It's kinda distracting.

If it's a bit, and he goes Properly Ultra High Definition by the end, I am sending him a hundred dollars immediately.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 27, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m half way through the first video and I don’t hate this dude lol

It’s one hell of a bit I’ll give him that.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

The writing is fantastic as always, but even for Tim Rogers's Tim Rogersing by Tim Rogers, I don't see why he had to hold his breath for the 4K version. His monologue footage is either 1080p or badly out of focus--when you see him cut to his own old footage of the FF7R review, it looks right. It's kinda distracting.

If it's a bit, and he goes Properly Ultra High Definition by the end, I am sending him a hundred dollars immediately.
it’s badly out of focus, even in ten hundred and eighty P. the side camera — or “B” camera — is in focus

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

tracecomplete posted:

Can't check it for a few hours, since I'm still at work. Would be pretty interested if someone checked that though, it sounds like a neat bit but I don't really notice screen resolution stuff.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My roommate wanted to watch part 1: citizen keanu first and I can report that it wasn't that good or interesting except when he talked about his experiences working for kotaku. Most of it was stuff you'd already know if you're as online as a poster in the something awful games forum is.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

emgeejay posted:

it’s badly out of focus, even in ten hundred and eighty P. the side camera — or “B” camera — is in focus

Yeah once I started seeing the B camera, I realized it was just messed up. That, from him, is super weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t believe he expects us to watch all the hours of these videos.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t believe he expects us to watch all the hours of these videos.

If you believe him, he doesn't.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tracecomplete posted:

more than likely it's because he included 4K captures from the game and wanted them to be shown accurately, I'm sure he explained the intent in one of his 50,000 word patreon updates.

tracecomplete posted:

Yeah once I started seeing the B camera, I realized it was just messed up. That, from him, is super weird.

sure seems like he does these mostly by himself outside of a few special shots, stuff like an out of focus camera is easy to miss when you try to do it all on your own and i know hes insane and everything but i dont see him wanting to reshoot hours of intro. i probably would have though it looks extremely out of place.

he also has bad vision so maybe he just didnt notice

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
started with part three and it was fun

heading into part six tomorrow

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Sir Tonk posted:

more than likely it's because he included 4K captures from the game and wanted them to be shown accurately, I'm sure he explained the intent in one of his 50,000 word patreon updates.

The other segments are in focus.

Watching four and three, and then it's onto The Bottom Line.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tracecomplete posted:

The other segments are in focus.

Watching four and three, and then it's onto The Bottom Line.

i only meant the resolution side of it, not the focus. definitely not defending loving that up, its why you should always have a partner on video stuff if only to catch things you might miss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

If you believe him, he doesn't.

Yeah I was joking. He said like 10 times not to watch the whole drat thing.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Dinosaurs! posted:

Tim Rogers once held an opponent’s wife’s hand in jar of acid - at a party.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
I was off work the day the Tokimeki Memorial video came out and watched it all in one sitting. I'm off tomorrow. I'll be hearing him in my sleep.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Maybe don’t watch Story 5? Or do. Idk. I feel like I get a redo on that one

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Tim Rogers just hit me - punched me for no reason.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe don’t watch Story 5? Or do. Idk. I feel like I get a redo on that one

He’s very right about open world games thought. I’ve never thought about it like that, but now that he’s said it, poo poo. They all DO at some point come down to the number of doors you can’t open, instead of the number of doors you can. The analogy of just being a house cleaner in a big building.. yeah, it’s going to be another decade before technology is powerful enough to make open world games that are actually the opposite.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm delighted by Tim mentioning that he quit Kotaku and started planning his review series immediately after a lovely interaction with Jim Spanfeller. This is the CEO of the holding company that has been grinding down the former Gawker empire, interfering with editorial and laying people off and outright destroying Deadspin and Splinter, in order to make it more profitable for its private equity owner. What a lovely little detail, and I'm only 20 minutes in, this is gonna rule.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Drake looking disgusted at Joseph Anderson's 4 hour Hollow Knight video

Drake pointing happily at Tim Rogers's 6 hour Tokimeki Memorial video

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For anyone for whom these Action Button reviews are a bit much, you might enjoy the FF7 translation discussion Rogers did back when he worked for Kotaku:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsiJPoHlPqEEA07AKMQ2Hm2oRLiGkR_uJ (playlist link)

He goes through disc 1 of the original FF7 and compares the Japanese and English scripts to talk about the kinds of choices that were made during localization, and it's really interesting stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So did he like Cyberpunk 2077?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I started with part 6 and it seems like there are some glaring omissions in his enumeration of cyberpunk-ish games he played. No indie games are mentioned (a few are shown for a few seconds). I'd have expected Cloudpunk to get a shoutout at least.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

is Tim doing slightly different voices in each chapter or am I just too high

he said the idea was it was 7 dudes who approached the game differently so I wouldn't be surprised.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to promote the general Videos About Video Games thread I put together (partially to redirect Tim Rogers chat out of the chat thread so people who hate him don't have to see it). If there are video game-related channels you like and want to recommend, please head over there and post about them so I can add them to the list in the OP. Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nanomashoes posted:

My roommate wanted to watch part 1: citizen keanu first and I can report that it wasn't that good or interesting except when he talked about his experiences working for kotaku. Most of it was stuff you'd already know if you're as online as a poster in the something awful games forum is.

His argument about Keanu's acting not being wooden came down to "Keanu is good in other things" which is a pretty weak justification regardless of what you think of Keanu's performance.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'd only seen his FF7 translation videos which I really liked and am now watching the Tokimeki video (which I really like so far too) because it seems far more interesting than Cyberpunk. I otherwise know nothing about him. Thanks for listening :)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The second half of part 6 of the review feels like one of those weird chapters in American Psycho where it just goes in great detail about some thing I don't care about at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rinkles posted:

So did he like Cyberpunk 2077?

yeah i am actually kinda curious about this. i know with tim thats never the point, but i am curious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've only watched the intro so far but it seems that yeah, he liked it, as an overall experience. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that but he does stress that he thinks there's a lot of good in it and that it's worth playing, even if there's also a lot of bad

He also said if you're strapped for time it's fine to just watch the conclusion video and skip the rest for what seems to be a more straightforward, 1-hour review of Cyberpunk 2077. I haven't watched that part yet because I'm going to play along with the "pick two parts to watch, then the conclusion" thing, but that's what he says at the end of the intro.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Tim Rogers is cool and I like his video

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Tim Rogers is cool and I like his video

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I work overnights, and Im just binging through it all over the next few nights. I know 10 hours of TR is not for everyone but I find him and his bit to be hilarious. The side tangents that last for 20 minutes are what I live for.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A lot of the vibe of the video i've gotten in what i've seen so far is that you really shouldn't commit to doing video essays on a game that isn't even out yet.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

PTizzle posted:

I'd only seen his FF7 translation videos which I really liked and am now watching the Tokimeki video (which I really like so far too) because it seems far more interesting than Cyberpunk. I otherwise know nothing about him. Thanks for listening :)

His Tokimeki Memorial video is godtier level good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

star eater posted:

His Tokimeki Memorial video is godtier level good imo.

It's his best video- something he really had passion for and enjoyed.