Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I was reading some nerds moonshot plan to defeat the climate demon and needed to retreat back here to say:

Heat pump my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CODChimera posted:

so is that starting in ten years or fixed by then or what exactly

thats how long they are going to shoot the earth for

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
love to see ropey, voluminous earthshots

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the scene in the matrix where neo sees everything as code, but its me looking at a plastic bag holding plastic coats sealed in plastic bags leaning against a wall with some kind of plastic paint on plastic fiber carpeting underneath light paneling made of plastic. the room also has a desk made of plastic with multiple plastic electronic devices on it

plastic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Minrad posted:

the scene in the matrix where neo sees everything as code, but its me looking at a plastic bag holding plastic coats sealed in plastic bags leaning against a wall with some kind of plastic paint on plastic fiber carpeting underneath light paneling made of plastic. the room also has a desk made of plastic with multiple plastic electronic devices on it

plastic.

it's fantastic

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i feel like im going absolutely insane. i have spent more of my life around and in contact with plastics than any other substance in the universe.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Minrad posted:

i feel like im going absolutely insane. i have spent more of my life around and in contact with plastics than any other substance in the universe.

plastic is mother plastic is father

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Minrad posted:

I got swag from my workplace last week, it was a company water bottle shipped via UPS from New Jersey.

Not sure what to do with it? Straight into the landfill?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

like seriously

i just took it for granted that plastic stuff was everywhere but, like, most of the stuff we made was still just metal or wood or stone and the plastic filling in the gaps. but it's literally the opposite, plastic makes up our entire civilization. how did we get here so rapidly from the 1940s. wtf.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

all we are is microplastic dust in the wind

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Minrad posted:

like seriously

i just took it for granted that plastic stuff was everywhere but, like, most of the stuff we made was still just metal or wood or stone and the plastic filling in the gaps. but it's literally the opposite, plastic makes up our entire civilization. how did we get here so rapidly from the 1940s. wtf.

the wood and the stone and the metal have plastic in them now, too. rofl

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

don't forget about all the plastic insulation in the walls... or the plastic tubing and plastic wiring for the water and electrical

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

staring at a gif of sideshow bob in a straight jacket and wondering what plastic polymers were used to ink and color the plastic slides for cartoon animation

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

crrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQR981H_9U

Plastic man don't feel no pain

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rime posted:

U.N. warns world set for 2.7C rise on today's emissions pledges

LMAO Status: Probably just dropping out of society to be a bum this winter.

Unpossible. I have heard interviews this very day of wise, concerned people discussing what we must do to stay under 1.5. It is very important we start on this soon.

Hope there's enough society left when I snuff it that I can be composted. Got to be less methane than getting flame broiled over natural gas and it should keep my carbon closer to the natural flux instead of splooging it into the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJSEZ_pl3Y

:canada: WE HAVE A NEW FEDERAL ENVIRONMENT MINISTER! CANADA IS SAVED!

Dude is an environmental activist who was arrested 20 years ago after climbing the CN Tower to hang protest banners, was known as "the Green Jesus of Montreal" at one point and is quoted about shutting down the gas and oil industry. He was interviewed by CBC Radio this evening and the interviewer kept reminding him You.Bought.A.loving.Pipeline. The twists and turns he took to avoid the question almost made me feel sorry for him. Dumbass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fear not, billions of people will be composted in the coming century

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
George Carlin was right: https://youtu.be/rld0KDcan_w

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
hearing reports that there are also fake plastic trees

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Minrad posted:

should probably strip naked and sit in a beanbag for a few days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Since we were also recently on the topics of plastics, there's one that came out about in-utero exposure leading to a lot of problems:
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/EHP8973

quote:

Prenatal phthalate exposure is associated with adverse perinatal outcomes and pregnancy complications (Martínez-Razo et al. 2021), including decreased gestational length (Boss et al. 2018; Wolff et al. 2008), decreased anogenital distance [decrased agd = small peen btw], and hydrocoele (Sathyanarayana et al. 2017; Swan et al. 2005). Recent studies also suggest increased odds of negative childhood outcomes, including eczema development, asthma development in males (Adgent et al. 2020), decreased mental and motor development scores and increased internalizing behaviors (Whyatt et al. 2012), social impairment characteristics (Day et al. 2021), and deficits in intellectual development (Factor-Litvak et al. 2014) in relation to prenatal phthalate exposure. In combination, these observational studies suggest that phthalate exposure during the prenatal period may program alterations in the in utero environment that have lasting effects on developing children from infancy into middle childhood.

now granted phthalate nano/microplastics are particularly bad but even non-pthalate nano/microplastic seems like it'd be as bad.

also:

quote:

Results
Multivariable models identified increased mortality in relation to high-molecular weight (HMW) phthalate metabolites, especially those of di-2-ethylhexylphthalate (DEHP). Hazard ratios (HR) for continuous HMW and DEHP metabolites were 1.14 (95% CI 1.06–1.23) and 1.10 (95% CI 1.03–1.19), respectively, with consistently higher mortality in the third tertile (1.48, 95% CI 1.19–1.86; and 1.42, 95% CI 1.13–1.78). Cardiovascular mortality was significantly increased in relation to a prominent DEHP metabolite, mono-(2-ethyl-5-oxohexyl)phthalate. Extrapolating to the population of 55–64 year old Americans, we identified 90,761–107,283 attributable deaths and $39.9–47.1 billion in lost economic productivity.

Conclusions
In a nationally representative sample, phthalate exposures were associated with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality, with societal costs approximating $39 billion/year or more. While further studies are needed to corroborate observations and identify mechanisms, regulatory action is urgently needed.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0269749121016031

bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo-kSxHNSDQ

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Oct 27, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Xaris posted:

Since we were also recently on the topics of plastics, there's one that came out about in-utero exposure leading to a lot of problems:
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/EHP8973

now granted phthalate nano/microplastics are particularly bad but even non-pthalate nano/microplastic seems like it'd be as bad.

also:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0269749121016031

bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo-kSxHNSDQ

Neat, thanks for sharing. What is meant by "increased internalizing behaviors (Whyatt et al. 2012)"?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Plastic rainn
Worse than swearing worse than calling names
Plastic rainn
Say it publicly and you're insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAaurZKi6U

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Minrad posted:

like seriously

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Minrad posted:

plastic.

I had this moment a couple years back looking at someone using their weedwhacker... never felt more like Rowdy Roddy Piper

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A&t=18s
:parrot: :jiggled: :wooper: :coolspot: :honked: :pervert:

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Oct 27, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalists are killing us with their economic and social systems.
Oh dear, what should we do?
Well there's too many people you see.
Ah, right, too many capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
No you fool, you simpering moron, if we kill them there's still too many people left and everyone will die because of what the capitalists have already done!
Ah, right, too many people and capitalists - agreed, yes, let's kill them.
I would never do such a thing.
Pardon?
I've never killed and I never would. I mean maybe I could bring myself to kill a capitalist but not the innocent people.
Ah, right, it's much the same with me.
Of course, yes, we're both civilized here.
What do you propose?
Well, we should tell the capitalists to please kill people in a more specific way.
How do you mean?
Intentional culling.
Ah, right, yes. Of course. And who should we cull?
Reckon it's not up to us, we who cannot kill. No, no we will need to let the capitalists decide.
Very wise, yes.

This should be inscribed on the outside of the library of congress.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

tiberion02 posted:

I had this moment a couple years back looking at someone using their weedwhacker... never felt more like Rowdy Roddy Piper

same but fossil fuels

plastics? ff
heating and cooling? ff
food? ff
clothes? ff
babies? ff
medicine? ff

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Cold on a Cob posted:

same but fossil fuels

plastics? ff
heating and cooling? ff
food? ff
clothes? ff
babies? ff
medicine? ff

i think youve got the wrong definition of "tar baby" there

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
thank you fossil fuels, for all that you've done for us

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Long live the new flesh!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ELTON JOHN posted:

it wears me out

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mawarannahr posted:

Imagine how bad a state the world would be in if the petrochemical industry had not discovered an easy way to externalize the toxic byproducts of refining into a very useful (and profitable) secondary product which remains in a stable state just long enough for nobody to notice that it is extremely loving toxic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is honestly worth a watch if you have 45 minutes to kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sehmmzbi3UI

The climate implications don't kick in until the latter half, though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ELTON JOHN posted:

a city in Ireland removed a bunch of mature trees from public spaces and then spent €350k on 5 robot trees to improve air quality

quote:

Dr Dean Venables of University College Cork’s Centre for Research into Atmospheric Chemistry commended the council for being the first in Ireland to introduce an air-quality strategy. But he said the city trees element is “a costly and ineffectual gimmick”.

While the units may clean the air in their immediate vicinity, he said they would have no discernible impact on overall air quality in the city and Ireland’s core strategy to improve air quality should remain the reduction of emissions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-council-defends-350-000-spend-on-air-purifying-robotic-trees-1.4645747

Enfys has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Oct 29, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rime posted:

Imagine how bad a state the world would be in if the petrochemical industry had not discovered an easy way to externalize the toxic byproducts of refining into a very useful (and profitable) secondary product which remains in a stable state just long enough for nobody to notice that it is extremely loving toxic.

I don't know if I would call plastic monomers like ethylene and propylene "byproducts", they are specifically created in reactors by dehydrogenating ethane and propane. And ethane and propane aren't toxic, they actually burn pretty cleanly.

Maybe you're talking about something else? I don't know the history behind things like phthalates BPA and other plasticizers which are typically super toxic and way loving more terrible than the plastics themselves.

I'm black pilled as gently caress but accuracy is important otherwise you give D&D libs an opening to do their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the best thing about the hyper focus on the dumbass equations of (Human Specific Carbon Emission Amount) + (Time) = (Temperature) that currently defines most of our conversation on climate change is that it ignores all of the natural feedback loops, non-carbon emissions and untraced emissions that are also happening.

I saw an article about that new UN report that we would have to cut carbon emissions by 55% to "Stay under 1.5C of temperature rise" and are currently on track for a 7% reduction but it'd be pretty shocking for them to realize the mythical 55% reductions we aren't going to do also wouldn't be enough due to our current temperature increases already causing the loss of carbon sink forests and reflective cloud cover while also causing clathrate release from permafrost and oceans.

If people are focusing on the "More Carbon = More Hot" stuff to try and ignore the full scope of the problem it probably isn't helping that even the narrow sighted focus on human carbon emission is also a disaster.

lol