Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Feral Integral posted:

watched through the first 8 episodes of picard. this show sucks rear end

Lol yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
let's see you two do better

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, do we accept fanfic scripts in this thread? I'm working on a couple

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like 3-4 posters have already posted alternatives to what Picard did and they were all better than the show

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like 3-4 posters have already posted alternatives to what Picard did and they were all better than the show

Here's number 4 or 5, original plot do not steal:

Picard and Data dress up as pirates for Halloween and get lots of candy from trick-or-treating but when they try to get to the other side of the river in a shuttlecraft they end up on an island with a dilapidated house where a spooky old man tells them that ghostly pirates from a hundred years ago are coming at midnight to reclaim their treasure but then he runs off in their ship, and then their shuttlecraft's gone, their candy's gone, dead pirates are coming any minute, it's past their bedtime, they want to go home.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Powered Descent posted:

Picard and Data dress up as pirates for Halloween and get lots of candy from trick-or-treating but when they try to get to the other side of the river in a shuttlecraft they end up on an island with a dilapidated house where a spooky old man tells them that ghostly pirates from a hundred years ago are coming at midnight to reclaim their treasure but then he runs off in their ship, and then their shuttlecraft's gone, their candy's gone, dead pirates are coming any minute, it's past their bedtime, they want to go home.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

This is literally a Dr who script.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If you're new to the whole... Picard thing... here's the highest quality fanfics.
Edit: Oh yeah there's spoilers for the final episode in here but... it really doesn't matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwF1iri1GjQ&t=164s
Click on these spoilers after you watch the storyboards!
They literally paid someone to fake storyboards.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 25, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Organic Lube User posted:

This is literally a Dr who script.

It's also literally a Garfield holiday special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8

Feel free to substitute Picard and Data in place of Garfield and Odie. (Jon is, of course, Admiral Nechayev.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

egg tats posted:

Dorg didn't just want a war, he wanted the Klingon empire to be the rulers of the galaxy - the alliance with the federation would put fetters on any sort of expansion.

Starting a war with the Romulans would work, but the federation wouldn't have let them annex Romulan space so if the klingons won the outcomes would be A) the romulans pay reparations to the Klingons or B) Dorg convinces the empire to ignore any non-expansionist treaties they've signed over the last 20 years and the federation declares war on them. also keep in mind that while this was something a founder was able to pull during DS9, the starfleet vessels are now commanded almost exclusively by veterans of the dominion war, and they all have a more thorough understanding of the empire than they did before and the Klingons probably can't stand up to that.

also, yes, he's a pretty big dumbass

edit: thanks for the assist, rip to dorg

The 'Klingon captain wants to pick a fight with the Federation/Starfleet/a specific Starfleet captain' thing feels like it's come up enough to generalize any Klingon trying to do it always underestimates their opponents.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was also opportunistic: he was arming the Pakleds to create chaos, and they were hitting everyone. It was pure luck that a Federation ship stumbled on him and he needed to use them to trigger things to the next step.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kurzon posted:

Captain Dorf in S2E09 seems like a fool. If he thought the Klingon Empire needed a healthy war, why couldn't he start one with the Romulans or the Cardassians, instead of an ally?

Wait i thought his name was Karg...

No, Kargan.

Wait how many Klingon captains actually tried to start a war with the Federation

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I mean, he was a fool, and he got stabbed by an ensign-equivalent because of it. The rest of the bridge crew didn't seem too cut up about it either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I mean, he was a fool, and he got stabbed by an ensign-equivalent because of it. The rest of the bridge crew didn't seem too cut up about it either.

And on your second watch you realise that the old first officer probably tried to stab him for the same reason and was in the right about it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've been watching The Expanse and I have to say it's really scratching that itch of "interesting personal stories about lives shaped by tech" that a lot of modern star trek lacks. Obviously it's not exactly utopian, but it's got all that same thoughtfulness about what makes people people.
The best example I can give is that there's an episode during the second season where (this doesn't spoil anything but just in case you want to go in completely blind) There's this one episode where a character who grew up on Mars visits Earth, and all she wants to do is go and see the ocean. But because she grew up on a planet with lower gravity, her bones lack the density to make our gravity bearable, it's super difficult to walk on Earth, and the different sky and horizon fucks with your inner ear and makes you really nauseous, as does the natural air and brighter ambient light. So most of the episode is essentially her just learning how to walk on Earth without puking, just so she can go and see a real ocean. It's such a small-scale plotline that really makes me think of the best bits of Star Trek, when people are just facing new obstacles that feel relateable even though it's about someone addicted to the holodeck or can't replicate a meal the way their grandmother made it or whatever.

And it has this super obsessive commitment to accuracy and internal consistency where most of the plotlines end up not being fate of the universe type stuff (although there's a tinge of that), but more like 'we're outrunning the bad guy but if our spaceship goes too fast the g-force will cause the blood vessels in our brains to explode'. Even whenever people try and facetime eachother between the moon and Earth, most of the conversation ends up them talking over each other by accident and complaining about the time delay because of the distance. Anyway I'd really recommend it to anyone bemoaning the Star Wars-ification of modern Star Trek.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Expanse is very good and gets better with each season.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The TV original character they added after moving to Amazon was a bit weird at first, but Beff Jezos the friendly space billionaire has really grown on me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

8one6 posted:

The TV original character they added after moving to Amazon was a bit weird at first, but Beff Jezos the friendly space billionaire has really grown on me.

Who's that? Only ever read the first book way back.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

Who's that? Only ever read the first book way back.

It's me making a dumb joke about how the show only got picked up by Amazon because Jeff Bezos loved the show and would obviously add a fan fic self insert character into the show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bezos is Antony Dresden

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

8one6 posted:

It's me making a dumb joke about how the show only got picked up by Amazon because Jeff Bezos loved the show and would obviously add a fan fic self insert character into the show.

Yeah... I probably should have picked up on that. Sorry.

Thought maybe you meant Mao or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Grumbles posted:

I've been watching The Expanse and I have to say it's really scratching that itch of "interesting personal stories about lives shaped by tech" that a lot of modern star trek lacks. Obviously it's not exactly utopian, but it's got all that same thoughtfulness about what makes people people.
The best example I can give is that there's an episode during the second season where (this doesn't spoil anything but just in case you want to go in completely blind) There's this one episode where a character who grew up on Mars visits Earth, and all she wants to do is go and see the ocean. But because she grew up on a planet with lower gravity, her bones lack the density to make our gravity bearable, it's super difficult to walk on Earth, and the different sky and horizon fucks with your inner ear and makes you really nauseous, as does the natural air and brighter ambient light. So most of the episode is essentially her just learning how to walk on Earth without puking, just so she can go and see a real ocean. It's such a small-scale plotline that really makes me think of the best bits of Star Trek, when people are just facing new obstacles that feel relateable even though it's about someone addicted to the holodeck or can't replicate a meal the way their grandmother made it or whatever.

And it has this super obsessive commitment to accuracy and internal consistency where most of the plotlines end up not being fate of the universe type stuff (although there's a tinge of that), but more like 'we're outrunning the bad guy but if our spaceship goes too fast the g-force will cause the blood vessels in our brains to explode'. Even whenever people try and facetime eachother between the moon and Earth, most of the conversation ends up them talking over each other by accident and complaining about the time delay because of the distance. Anyway I'd really recommend it to anyone bemoaning the Star Wars-ification of modern Star Trek.

Just want to second that this show is insanely good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to second that this show is insanely good.

I wish it was even more ... grounded, so to speak, and didn't have any of the sentient proto-molecule poo poo, but it's excellent in spite of that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I wish it was even more ... grounded, so to speak, and didn't have any of the sentient proto-molecule poo poo, but it's excellent in spite of that

I was definitely most drawn to the solar system politics and cultural development, I would watch a show that focuses on that without ever opening a ring gate

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I agree, although even that stuff feels like it's handled in a way that feels real and consequential (so far!), with the glaring exception of a completely out of place "saved by the power of love" moment early in season 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought that was handled really well, and I like that the show tries to be as realistic regarding physics as possible to the point where when that stuff happen that stuff is regularly described as turning the laws of physics off and I appreciated how they worked within that magic sort of stuff by still having to work out what speeds to stay under and stuff and how much being stuck in zero g for extended periods of time sucks and such.

I'll even go so far as to say the show is actual good hard sci-fi in that the techno-chat always feels organically like how characters in the world would talk without sounding too overly :technobabble:/hand wavy, and unrealistic stuff happens, but everything regarding the physics of how stuff movies, the zero g stuff, hell even the way they show ammo penetrating different materials and hanging in various ways in vacuum, it's crazy consistent. It's visually fantastic with that stuff.

It's interesting too because of how relatively little we know about space at the end of the day. I think there was more than one point on the official Expanse social media stuff where they had to point out how something they had in the dialogue was accurate when the script was written but even just the past couple of years became inaccurate as more information was learned.

So even with the sentient protomolecule stuff I didn't mind because the characters don't accept it as magic, almost everyone still tries to approach it from a "can we learn how this works" standpoint and understand how it functions and that's really awesome. So stuff like that feels less like space magic and more like another thing that with time humans could actually figure out.

Also I love low-key how as the seasons go on it's never said outright but you get the impression that humans could definitely be at that point of knowledge too if not for fascist assholes and capitalism.

And not that a season being a continuing story is new, but I love how poo poo gets dealt with but still has consequences and never totally goes away.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 25, 2021

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Anyone know why episodes of Lower Decks are missing from Paramount +? I just started the series last week and got up to S2E7 today and that was it. Looking at the episode listing now Season 2 only shows 1, 2, 3 & 7.

Aside from that weirdness I have really enjoyed the show. Season 1 started a little slow since I wasn't sure if it was trying to be animated Orville or Space Family Guy but by the end it hit it's stride and it's in a good pocket of just being its own thing.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Othin posted:

Anyone know why episodes of Lower Decks are missing from Paramount +? I just started the series last week and got up to S2E7 today and that was it. Looking at the episode listing now Season 2 only shows 1, 2, 3 & 7.

That is weird, they had all of the episodes as of a few days ago. Maybe some sort of issue on there side where everything isn't showing up correctly?

I am missing the same episodes if I go to the Paramount+ site, but if I access it as a channel on Prime I can see all of the episodes still.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
star trek was better when new episodes aired weekly. feels like ages since any new trek eps, whats up with this bs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Khanstant posted:

star trek was better when new episodes aired weekly. feels like ages since any new trek eps, whats up with this bs
That Prodigy show comes out this week

Discovery S4 is next month

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
bout loving time

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I agree 52 episodes of Lower Decks a year!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
finally room to breathe and the time to explore risa's janitors and service staffs lives behind the pleasure planet scenes

really though, watching TNG last night so often some tiny little thing would happen or be mentioned and I find myself noting it hoping it gets a Lower Decks nod at some point. Lot of cool scifi stuff invented but only explored from one angle as needed by the episode it was made for, which makes sense, but often leaves other concepts on the table, cool that LD can play with those.

my wildest LD (or maybe even prodigy??) hope though is for janeyway and paris' kids to show up.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 26, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Janeway/Paris? I'm having trouble seeing it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Janeway/Paris? I'm having trouble seeing it.

The salamander babies.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Khanstant posted:

e.

my wildest LD (or maybe even prodigy??) hope though is for janeyway and paris' kids to show up.

oh geez that would be amazing but if holo janeway is anything like janeway she'd just find another rock to ditch them on

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There was someone on that Division 14 ship in the first season who looked suspiciously similar to the Threshold salamanders

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

The salamander babies.

Oh duh of course thank you

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Delsaber posted:

There was someone on that Division 14 ship in the first season who looked suspiciously similar to the Threshold salamanders

Starfleet just never learns :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Brawnfire posted:

I was definitely most drawn to the solar system politics and cultural development, I would watch a show that focuses on that without ever opening a ring gate

I'd love a show that looks at the results of the Ring Gate, Mars is clearly hosed, who wants to stay on a dead world that will take 100's of years hard hard work, and another 100 of (likely) war, when you can just bop off to one of the 1000's of entirely livable worlds out there, and set yourself up as the top of the pile? I want to see ruined Martian fortunes, people buying land on Mars and turning it into a personal playground. The Belters, who were on the cusp of becoming a nation to themselves, suddenly have access to the same planets, do they scatter? What about the people that can't leave space? What happens to them? I think some of this is in the books, but I'm holding off them til the end of the show.