Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Also, for Deltarune Chapter 1 and 2 (probably don’t read unless you’re done because it’s a pretty good joke)

so halfway Chapter 1, you’re asked to Make A Machine To Thrash Your Own rear end by choosing various parts to make a battle tank/ducky. The sequence is pretty funny but Chapter 1’s been out for a while so that’s not the spoiler.

In Chapter 2, your machine gets dug out of the trash and actually gets used against you in a game of Not-Monopoly. Which is again pretty great but then after that it gets reused as the head of your giant friendship robot in the final boss fight, rear end Thrasher’s Punchout.

God I love when video game logic produces sentences like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Overminty posted:

Inscryption starts off with a fairly on rails tutorial explaining its battle mechanics and slay the spire style map movement. It is possible to die but if you've any experience with deck builder card games you can probably make it past the first boss ok. The game has a fairly unorthodox method of making sure you don't do too well on your first go though:

Notably, despite how overpowering this is as a blatant 'supposed to lose' effect, you actually CAN still make it to the end on your first run if you can work around this set-up when it happens.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Because of just how charmingly bonkers Merge Mansion is I kind of want to learn to code so I can make a souls/hollow knight style action game based off of it with the increasingly bizarre family members being the bosses.

Grandma would be the level up NPC hanging out at the bonfire, giggling mysteriously at every boss. "So, you have defeated Skatie katie? Unexpected. I'd be careful that you do not arouse the ire of her sister, Hang-10 Susan...."
It's a funny idea, even if only for a shitpost. You could even keep the same or similar merging trees, so the first weapon you find is a garden knife, then you can find another later to merge with it and form a stronger garden fork. I've just unlocked the Tiki Lodge area.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Grounded has quit and superquit instead of quit to menu and quit to desktop.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

You could even keep the same or similar merging trees, so the first weapon you find is a garden knife, then you can find another later to merge with it and form a stronger garden fork.

I’m pretty sure that Two Worlds did this, for what it’s worth.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Last Celebration posted:

Also, for Deltarune Chapter 1 and 2 (probably don’t read unless you’re done because it’s a pretty good joke)

I would love to know how many people (Chapter 1) actually build a robot instead of immediately picking all of the duck options

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

overeager overeater posted:

I would love to know how many people (Chapter 1) actually build a robot instead of immediately picking all of the duck options

to be honest I assumed the duck was a trap on my first playthrough of Chapter 1, like it wouldn’t be out there for Toby Fox to make the crappy duck the game tells you is crappy to secretly be the hard mode version of the upcoming fight, but also it wasn’t really out there for the tank that I painstakingly crafted for maximum stat spread to immediately blow the gently caress up.

Definitely went with the duck tank on my second run that took me to Chapter 2 though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a bunch of different variations for that section. Susie will comment on whichever stat is highest, and there's also special dialog for the duck tank and for the tank that has the highest "Gun's" stat.

What's weird is how this ties into the game's theme. No matter what you choose, your choice is totally irrelevant, as the resulting machine gets blown up before it can do anything anyway. Your choices similarly have no impact (that I'm aware of) on its performance when it returns in chapter 2

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BioEnchanted posted:

Because of just how charmingly bonkers Merge Mansion is I kind of want to learn to code so I can make a souls/hollow knight style action game based off of it with the increasingly bizarre family members being the bosses.

Grandma would be the level up NPC hanging out at the bonfire, giggling mysteriously at every boss. "So, you have defeated Skatie katie? Unexpected. I'd be careful that you do not arouse the ire of her sister, Hang-10 Susan...."
It's a funny idea, even if only for a shitpost. You could even keep the same or similar merging trees, so the first weapon you find is a garden knife, then you can find another later to merge with it and form a stronger garden fork. I've just unlocked the Tiki Lodge area.

Have you been playing the new Halloween portion? I really like the names of the items on the weapon line. For instance, a couple of broken records has the name "Singing Frisbees".
That last item in the tiki area took me so long to create, though, so I'll warn you there that it's gonna take a long while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a bunch of different variations for that section. Susie will comment on whichever stat is highest, and there's also special dialog for the duck tank and for the tank that has the highest "Gun's" stat.

What's weird is how this ties into the game's theme. No matter what you choose, your choice is totally irrelevant, as the resulting machine gets blown up before it can do anything anyway. Your choices similarly have no impact (that I'm aware of) on its performance when it returns in chapter 2

in chapter 2, the tank's "type" affects its stat spread and special skill during the final boss. the duck tank for example gives you a "sucky aura" that decreases your ATK but lets you heal with every blow

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In Mario Galaxy, I just found out that luring a Boo in front of Captain Toad's headlamp will kill it. I've played it multiple times on the Wii and never saw that, I'm not even sure if there's more than one place with both characters. It's a pretty cute touch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

graybook posted:

Have you been playing the new Halloween portion? I really like the names of the items on the weapon line. For instance, a couple of broken records has the name "Singing Frisbees".
That last item in the tiki area took me so long to create, though, so I'll warn you there that it's gonna take a long while.

I dipped into it, but I've half-filled the meter and am currently focusing on the main bit for now.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’m stuck in subnautica again. I managed to build the SS sea scooty and reinforced the hull so it can go up to 300m deep. I found the island with the abandoned Degasi base. I watched the Sunbeam get annihilated by the big alien cannon thing and then said “welp” and headed back to sea base Frank to grow more Chinese potatoes.

I can’t go anywhere near the Aurora’s wreck because of the giant shrieking sea monsters and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be doing. Mostly I just go fart around in a random direction until I run out of food/water and go back. How the heck do I progress?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

I’m stuck in subnautica again. I managed to build the SS sea scooty and reinforced the hull so it can go up to 300m deep. I found the island with the abandoned Degasi base. I watched the Sunbeam get annihilated by the big alien cannon thing and then said “welp” and headed back to sea base Frank to grow more Chinese potatoes.

I can’t go anywhere near the Aurora’s wreck because of the giant shrieking sea monsters and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be doing. Mostly I just go fart around in a random direction until I run out of food/water and go back. How the heck do I progress?

You totally can get to the Aurora. The entrance is in the nose and you can avoid the monsters pretty easily from that angle.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Frank Frank posted:

There are a few options.

The obvious one is to go explore the Aurora. The "giant shrieking sea monster" won't venture between the ship and the life pod, and only becomes a threat behind it (there's nothing behind it, btw). As for on the left and right sides of the ship, just keep an eye out. If you want to properly explore the Aurora, you'll need a laser cutter, repair tool, some fire extinguishers, and the radiation suit. Optionally, you can take a repulsion cannon, but I never took that with me when I explored, but it will make a few parts easier to get though.

To get into the Aurora, hug the ship and head to the left. eventually you'll get to where the front fell off and you'll be able to go inside. The monsters won't be able to get you here, so you're safe. There are two entrances into the ship proper, and both are above the water, so surface before you attempt to find an entrance.

As for other things to do if you want to avoid the Aurora for now, just continue building up your base, and eventually you'll get distress beacons sent to your radio. Follow those and you'll get some more story, schematics, and will guide you towards finding new areas to explore.

As for the island you found, there's more there than just the cannon.

Lastly, take as much time as you need to explore and gather your courage to confront the nasties in the game. There is no time limit, so long as you keep your meters filled.

E: vv I didn't think that would actually happen. I always took my time in getting to the ship and repairing the generator, even after getting the warning about it going critical.

E2: Wiki doesn't mention anything about there being a time limit to repair the aurora. https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Radiation
General consensus is that the urgency is artificial: https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7v9zey/do_i_really_have_just_24_hours_to_fix_the_aurora/

Velocity Raptor has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Oct 24, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

There is no time limit

The Aurora reactor will eventually explode and irradiate the area around it permanently if you don't go in and stabilize it,, and iirc will lock you out of the Prawn schematic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

in chapter 2, the tank's "type" affects its stat spread and special skill during the final boss. the duck tank for example gives you a "sucky aura" that decreases your ATK but lets you heal with every blow

Oh, that's cool! Thank you for the correction.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The Aurora reactor will eventually explode and irradiate the area around it permanently if you don't go in and stabilize it,, and iirc will lock you out of the Prawn schematic.

This already happened. I tried to prevent it but was eaten by one of those shrieking things.

Hopefully I can still get to the prawn suit. I’m legit considering quitting the game because I do not like the “5 nights at freddy’s jump scare” bullshit and that seems to be what those monster fish are. Something about the underwater environment and the fact that stuff just comes screaming out of the darkness stresses me the gently caress out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The explosion is a fixed event that happens five days after starting a new game, and you can't enter the Aurora before the explosion tears it open. You're given the schematics for a radiation suit soon after.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

YggiDee posted:

The explosion is a fixed event that happens five days after starting a new game, and you can't enter the Aurora before the explosion tears it open. You're given the schematics for a radiation suit soon after.

Ok cool. That means I’m not totally boned I guess. I have an upgraded sea moth with the depth/hull integrity/sonar upgrades. I guess I’ll venture towards the nose of the aurora and hope the pants-making GBS threads demon thing doesn’t show up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Frank Frank posted:

This already happened. I tried to prevent it but was eaten by one of those shrieking things.

Hopefully I can still get to the prawn suit. I’m legit considering quitting the game because I do not like the “5 nights at freddy’s jump scare” bullshit and that seems to be what those monster fish are. Something about the underwater environment and the fact that stuff just comes screaming out of the darkness stresses me the gently caress out.

That's why I can't play it despite the fact every other bit about it sounds really fun. Jumpscares are not something I'm good with. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
people were going back and forth about Control in the other thread and it reminded me how one of the DLC's has one of the more amusing takes on an alien trying to communicate with humans: make it perfectly comprehensible american english, except no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYDNGlcVxQ

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

people were going back and forth about Control in the other thread and it reminded me how one of the DLC's has one of the more amusing takes on an alien trying to communicate with humans: make it perfectly comprehensible american english, except no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYDNGlcVxQ

Ah, a Simirillion fan, I see.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
LMAO i just read on the steam forums that before the devs changed their behavior, those shrieking reaper things used to be able to chase you all the way back to your base and would just hang around outside if you ran from them. The Seamoth is just *slightly* faster than they are but once they locked onto you, they wouldn't give up. What in the gently caress sort of nightmare poo poo is that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And they're just the start of the real scary fish in the water.

Subnautica is full of little things, and a lot of stuff that's easy to miss. The difficulty of navigating given you have no real map does encourage you to figure out your own bearings rather than just fill out a map.

Remember your ACBs: Always Carry Beacons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Subnautica is full of little things, and a lot of stuff that's easy to miss. The difficulty of navigating given you have no real map does encourage you to figure out your own bearings rather than just fill out a map.

Great av/post combo. First time I ran into one during early access and they had just implemented the Ghost, I nearly poo poo myself

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah I've started carrying beacons and plonked down a few to mark the entrance to the glowing mushroom caves and a couple other places. Really sucks I got all those distress beacon broadcasts that took me to all the different biomes before I had the ability to manufacture beacons. Unfortunately, I think I've investigated all of the beacons except for the one that was just an automated voice saying "stuck in ocean floor, do not attempt to recover without specialized equipment" which shows something like ~2k from my base (My seamoth can do like 300m before being squished).

I was digging around online tonight and found a way I can apparently get the materials I need to enable the electrical self-defense system on the seamoth without a ton of risk which will give me a fighting chance against the shrieking fishmonsters - so I'll make that my next objective before trying to return to the Aurora. I'm really hoping there's a cathartic moment where I have some super powerful weapon that will just smoke the everloving poo poo out of those screaming things because that'll feel pretty good.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm doing alright getting around but once I get far enough away from my base, everything starts to look same-ish and I'm never quite sure how much I've turned around etc.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Oct 25, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Subnautica has no weapons because the dev's sister was killed in a school shooting iirc.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

packetmantis posted:

Subnautica has no weapons because the dev's sister was killed in a school shooting iirc.

He just decided he didn't want to add more things with guns to the world after the Sandy Hook shootings, I think you're combining him with Brad Bird who wrote/directed The Iron Giant after his sister's murder

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I support that kind of attitude and take on game design, but it kinda makes me wish Subnautica didn't have the kind of obstacles that make you think you could sure use a gun right about now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) You can re-enable most emergency beacons on your PDA after you've visited them so you can still use them to find your way.
2) Keep track of the plants to figure out what biome you're in,
3) Your life pod is about right in the middle of the map, and the base map is 4km by a 4km,
4) So if you're more than 2km away from your life pod (horizontally) you're probably near the edges of the map.
5) Don't go past the edge of the map

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you find a place that's interesting, rich with useful resources and/or central to a new biome, you can just plop down an advance base right there. I found it pretty useful right from early game when I was still just swimming about to drop stashes of food and water in floating lockers (one of the few actual use cases for the things) along with beacons.

Making advance bases is actually shockingly easy; as long as you remember to unmake the inside stuff first, you can literally pack up an entire base back to its component minerals and remake the entire thing in a different area. Redundancy can save you a lot of time in the long run.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

He just decided he didn't want to add more things with guns to the world after the Sandy Hook shootings, I think you're combining him with Brad Bird who wrote/directed The Iron Giant after his sister's murder

:shuckyes: Brad Bird made Subnautica, got it! I am dumb

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty World War 2: Your buddies have special abilities you can call them for to help you out. Those abilities recharge by you killing enemies, so this encourages you to act aggressively.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Velocity Raptor posted:

The "giant shrieking sea monster" won't venture between the ship and the life pod, and only becomes a threat behind it (there's nothing behind it, btw).

This isn't quite true - there are a lot of useful scans right under the fishies if you're still early in the game

One of the tricks to Subnautica is feeling out how watchful and aggressive the dangerous things are. You can totally go into their patrol areas if you stay out of their immediate gently caress-you zone.

My first base is usually in the west grassy plateaus right above the jellyshroom cave, but my second is usually in the bulb forest just north of the fishy so I can see him through the window

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

AC: Valhalla.

- When attacking enemy villages and camps, you can choose to go in with stealth, but if things turn bad you can just call in a raid, and your Viking crew will attack from wherever you parked your longship. It's a nice change of pace from other stealth games where you have to hide and wait for the alert level to go down. poo poo hits the fan? Bring in the crew! There is no penalty for doing so one way or another.

- When that raid comes, you need assistance to do things like force open certain blocked doors and open larger resource caches. No matter how far away someone is, they will appear nearby to help you perform this action when you start it, so you might be waiting 10-15 seconds at most (but sometimes as little as 2-3 seconds) even if it would technically take longer for them to walk there. Video game logic is put first.

- Main hand and off hand weapon mixing with unique combos, and an unlockable skill to switch between hands mid fight.

- Building on the above, a skill to dual wield 2 handed weapons.

- A skill to pick up and immediately throw weapons dropped by enemies killed in battle, even if they aren't throwing weapons.

- Another skill to catch a thrown weapon in mid air, and throw it back at an enemy.

- Your entire skill tree can be reset at any time, for no cost, in case you want to try some different skills you haven't unlocked.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Oct 27, 2021

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started Mad Max again and while it's far from a perfect game, one thing that I think it does well is handle its sense of post-apocalyptic scarcity (at least at the beginning of the game, I'm not that far in yet). Ammo is rare enough that you really appreciate finding some, but your carry limit is low enough that you're still incentivized to use it. Gas isn't exactly "rare", but it's found in places that make sense, and your car uses so little of it that it only becomes a problem in very specific situations, like when you find a vehicle in the wild. I think most systems serve their purpose really well.

I mostly compare it to Days Gone, where there's gas and ammo EVERYWHERE but you can't carry any of it and your bike makes 200 feet per gallon just to force you to scavenge all the time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheMostFrench posted:

AC: Valhalla.

- When that raid comes, you need assistance to do things like force open certain blocked doors and open larger resource caches. No matter how far away someone is, they will appear nearby to help you perform this action when you start it, so you might be waiting 10-15 seconds at most (but sometimes as little as 2-3 seconds) even if it would technically take longer for them to walk there. Video game logic is put first.

This actually glitched out on me one time, leading to Eivor shouting for help and shoving the lid of a treasure chest indefinitely. Which was funny, but annoying. :v:

Anyway, as part of playing the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, I’ve been going through Kid Dracula, and there’s a bunch of Castlevania stuff involved but adorable. In particular, the music in the first level cracked me up big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZkduoieoA

Why is it so funny? Well, have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58lhgcc-nk

I love dumb crap like this.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CordlessPen posted:

I recently started Mad Max again and while it's far from a perfect game, one thing that I think it does well is handle its sense of post-apocalyptic scarcity (at least at the beginning of the game, I'm not that far in yet). Ammo is rare enough that you really appreciate finding some, but your carry limit is low enough that you're still incentivized to use it. Gas isn't exactly "rare", but it's found in places that make sense, and your car uses so little of it that it only becomes a problem in very specific situations, like when you find a vehicle in the wild. I think most systems serve their purpose really well.

I agree here, in the beginning

But once you have one of the fortresses on-side and build up the rep / tools they offer you can have a full gas tank and full health / water every time you go there, and you can fast travel any time from anywhere for free, I kinda wish they'd kept it a bit more scavengy throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel like resources stopped being scarce in that game immediately, like, seconds after the first tutorial mission ends.