Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

are these the same? I remember the second one dropping but hugest lmao if they re-released w/ a rectangle it so it fits in someone's rack better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

are these the same? I remember the second one dropping but hugest lmao if they re-released w/ a rectangle it so it fits in someone's rack better

Looking at modulargrid the rectangular one came before the vampiric edition.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The implication that there are water, air and fire modules floating about are somewhat disconcerting, to say nothing of like mercury and arsenic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pMhM27Am8
Xenon! :science:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

j.peeba posted:

Looking at modulargrid the rectangular one came before the vampiric edition.

word. different modules or the same one w/ a new plate? I remember a lot of angst about the coffin shape for something that was literally dirt lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m insane and I thought someone’s ashes were interred into a module.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I mean you'd use an urn and not a coffin first of all.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm having a heck of a time finding an axoloti for sale, does anybody here happen have one they don't use/want to get rid of?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

snorch posted:

I'm having a heck of a time finding an axoloti for sale, does anybody here happen have one they don't use/want to get rid of?

where you live? when’s your next/closest expo?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

snorch posted:

I don't use mine, but if I ever start doing modular again I'm going to need a multistage looping envelope generator which is the reason I have one, somewhere, fossilizing on the workbench with flying wires running to in and outs and potentiometers. as such I would be open to trade for such a module especially if it's +/- 15v friendly

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm in Vancouver, not sure what you mean by expo. Like a synth meet up?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What am I looking at here? I don’t know enough about weird world of modular synthesis to take in what my eyes are showing me :(

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's a distortion from ERD that includes earth sample as part of the circuitry, but in this picture the cables to the soil seem missing

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erd-micro-research-erd-erd

e: Also it seems you have to regularly moisten the soil sample to keep the module running

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 25, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a distortion from ERD that includes earth sample as part of the circuitry, but in this picture the cables to the soil seem missing

Oh ok that’s kind of what I thought but without the cables I was like.. OK it has a plexi box of dirt for ??? reasons? lol

Modular synth is so cool but also just so out there with possibilities it seems like a whole other world. If it can make or alter a sound I’m going to slap it to an aluminum faceplate and screw it into a rack :cool:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

If it can make or alter a sound I’m going to slap it to an aluminum faceplate and screw it into a rack :cool:

yes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Modular synth is so cool but also just so out there with possibilities it seems like a whole other world. If it can make or alter a sound I’m going to slap it to an aluminum faceplate and screw it into a rack :cool:

My favorite synth module has a tiny sample of uranium and a geiger counter. No computer could ever simulate atomic decay perfectly because of quantum mechanics, so this is a unique sound that can only be obtained from a tiny vial of uranium :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1PhEqVBq4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got my Minilab II and it came with a B2.0-to-C cable. I only have A-to-C conveters and B3.0-to-A cables. :negative:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Next time you have a minute go on Amazon and order 80 different cables and adapters then tangle them all in your desk drawer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need a desk drawer that isn't completely broken first. Actually, I think I might just remove it entirely and get some totes instead.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

whoa whoa whoa

why is everyone talking about the module that plays your signal through dirt and not the one that lets your synth smoke voltage controlled weed

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erd-breath

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i use 1 gal ziplock bagsto "organize" my cables

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

why is everyone talking about the module that plays your signal through dirt and not the one that lets your synth smoke voltage controlled weed

Finally, GAS we can all enjoy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JamesKPolk posted:

whoa whoa whoa

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erd-breath

lol that’s just a module with a heating element stuck on its front

well played

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry is this the thread where we come to talk about our incurable GAS affliction

E: You just KNOW I’m hunting for an S950 too

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 26, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Sorry is this the thread where we come to talk about our incurable GAS affliction

E: You just KNOW I’m hunting for an S950 too

Oh HFY.

This is insane but would you be down to post like a very basic 808/909 kit play through (or something similarly ubiquitous and neutral) from that and from the 1k? Been curious for years where exactly they differ

I'd always heard the 2k+ rack samplers described as basically a MPC2k, which to me is just.. bland? That sounds like a diss though and I don't mean it like that, its just the things I like about it are its relative sterility/etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71whkVenRi8

^^^ that was all MPC2k afaik

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah for sure, I can make that happen — just need a little face time with this thing because the UI isn’t super intuitive at first kick.

The 3000XL is one of the “sterile” 16bit samplers unfortunately — the 3000(non-XL) is supposed to have a lot more character, whatever that means. I am on the lookout for an S950 just because I want a 12bit sampler (for the sake of owning a 12 bit sampler, apparently — nothing in my workflow demands or even wants one), but I’ll definitely have to REALLY want one since they tend to go for WELL over $1k typically :/

I picked this up locally for under a hundred because the left input channel was dead — which was just a weak solder joint and fixed up in seconds :twisted:

But basically I’ll work my way up to the sought after early 90s Akais, this one I just had to have at this price though, even if one of the input channels was dead :haw:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah for sure, I can make that happen — just need a little face time with this thing because the UI isn’t super intuitive at first kick.

The 3000XL is one of the “sterile” 16bit samplers unfortunately — the 3000(non-XL) is supposed to have a lot more character, whatever that means. I am on the lookout for an S950 just because I want a 12bit sampler (for the sake of owning a 12 bit sampler, apparently — nothing in my workflow demands or even wants one), but I’ll definitely have to REALLY want one since they tend to go for WELL over $1k typically :/

I picked this up locally for under a hundred because the left input channel was dead — which was just a weak solder joint and fixed up in seconds :twisted:

But basically I’ll work my way up to the sought after early 90s Akais, this one I just had to have at this price though, even if one of the input channels was dead :haw:

The S3000XL is probably my favorite sampler. Do you ever mess with resampling? That and the time stretching have pretty unique sounds.

Also if you’re looking for a 12 bit sampler, the S900 is pretty similar to the S950 and a little cheaper. I really regret selling mine before moving a couple years ago :doh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haven’t messed with it yet, but that is something I am about to hit up! There is so much fun stuff I want to try with this but I feel like I need a good few hours to pore through the manual and establish just how the workflow is supposed to go. My initial experiments were frustrating but also gratifying — just need a lot more time in front of it.

It doesn’t help that the backlight is near dead so I have to stoop over to see what I’m doing. I’ll try to grab a replacement backlight one of these days, but until then I will figure out some way to angle it up towards my face.

S900 vs S950 is one of those decision that will probably come down to what they’re available for when I’m ready to dole out for one. At $1000+ they’re squarely out of impulse buy territory, and if the price difference will be like $500 then I’ll just get the 950. Right now Reverb shows a 900 for 900 :ironicat: and a 950 for 1200 which would be a no brainer. There are also suspiciously expensive 950s so I can never tell what’s what.

I’m excited to see if I can get my way around to making it work like this, except maybe with my Polyend Tracker instead of a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ZaQoT4pW0

(Not that I’m holding that up as a paragon of what I think this can do, just that’s how I envision myself using it :) )

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 26, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mixer question (attn: petit choux if you're there :toot:)

I'm trying to electrify my trumpet! I know petit choux posted a dope piezo mic hookup for a trumpet, which I'm definitely going to look into in the future, but right now I already have a clip-on bell mic from Shure. What I'm hoping to do is hook that up, through a mixer, to my Zoia, and see what wonkiness I can get up to.

Based on my very little mixer knowledge, I think the best way for me to do that would be to buy a cheap(ish) mixer with an Fx send/return - I've been basing most of my research on the Behringer Xenyx Q1002USB. I do have a Scarlett Solo, but I don't think I have the proper interface to do mic->Scarlett Solo->PC->Zoia->back to PC. Anybody have advice they can give me?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia has apparently updated the Microfreak to add a wavetable mode. Haven't tried it yet.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tayter Swift posted:

Arturia has apparently updated the Microfreak to add a wavetable mode. Haven't tried it yet.

Man -- that gets more and more tempting.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

looks/sounds pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4LI-6imlg

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I now want to put Carbon, Strontium, Digi III and Modern Talking on mine and finally have the hardware version of Massive I've been after.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

late 2000s style brostep revival baby!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Mixer question (attn: petit choux if you're there :toot:)

I'm trying to electrify my trumpet! I know petit choux posted a dope piezo mic hookup for a trumpet, which I'm definitely going to look into in the future, but right now I already have a clip-on bell mic from Shure. What I'm hoping to do is hook that up, through a mixer, to my Zoia, and see what wonkiness I can get up to.

Based on my very little mixer knowledge, I think the best way for me to do that would be to buy a cheap(ish) mixer with an Fx send/return - I've been basing most of my research on the Behringer Xenyx Q1002USB. I do have a Scarlett Solo, but I don't think I have the proper interface to do mic->Scarlett Solo->PC->Zoia->back to PC. Anybody have advice they can give me?

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. I'm currently using a Yamaha SilentBrass mute, which has a pretty fancy preamp built in. Random thoughts: Just as a quick and dirty you can just preamp the horn and plug it right into the Zoia, right, and just handle the signal path just like you would your guitar or a keyboard, not bother with a send/return? I bet the Zoia has a dry/wet adjustment anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. I'm currently using a Yamaha SilentBrass mute, which has a pretty fancy preamp built in. Random thoughts: Just as a quick and dirty you can just preamp the horn and plug it right into the Zoia, right, and just handle the signal path just like you would your guitar or a keyboard, not bother with a send/return? I bet the Zoia has a dry/wet adjustment anyway.

gently caress me running, I never thought about running the preamp into the Zoia itself! :toot:

how do you like the sound that comes out of the silent brass? i've contemplated trying to pick one up, just for the pickup :imunfunny:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

gently caress me running, I never thought about running the preamp into the Zoia itself! :toot:

how do you like the sound that comes out of the silent brass? i've contemplated trying to pick one up, just for the pickup :imunfunny:

I only use it because I'm in an apartment and I don't want to irritate the neighbors. I haven't found a silencer mute design that doesn't gently caress with your sound considerably, but this is the best I've found. It works and you learn to work around its shortcomings for the purpose of practice. In other news, I'm buying another horn and moving to a bigger place where I won't have to use the silencer.

I would think running your horn through that should be really fun. If you do anything that amuses you, please put it up for us.

ED: here's the guy with the pickups:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/safron60/m.html?item=322578320423&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there such a thing a pair of passive speakers that doesn’t suck? I want a little pair of speakers for when I’ve got the MPC 1K out with me away from the “music desk”.

I bought a JBL pill 4 bt speaker with 3.5 input and it’s got really good sound but it has this really weird thing where it’ll try to auto-modulate volume or something, so if I’m not constantly feeding audio through it, it (and I’m sure this is wrong but I don’t know what else to call it) goes to sleep and then when I hit a pad on the MPC the sound is super quiet before it hits normal volume again. This happens if it’s quiet for more than like five seconds so it’s super duper annoying.

I want a pair of passive speakers so I don’t need to plug in power, and I realize it’s super weird to complain about plugging in speakers when I already have to plug the 1K into mains, but I ordered the battery pack power supply unit so the 1K will soon be mobile :cool: and I’ll be making beats in exotic new locations other rooms in the house because winter and covid.

E: Sorry I just realized this is not at all synth related at all, I’ll maybe go post this in IYG but I guess I’ll leave it here in case anyone has suggestions but if it derails I’ll delete.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is there such a thing a pair of passive speakers that doesn’t suck? I want a little pair of speakers for when I’ve got the MPC 1K out with me away from the “music desk”.

I bought a JBL pill 4 bt speaker with 3.5 input and it’s got really good sound but it has this really weird thing where it’ll try to auto-modulate volume or something, so if I’m not constantly feeding audio through it, it (and I’m sure this is wrong but I don’t know what else to call it) goes to sleep and then when I hit a pad on the MPC the sound is super quiet before it hits normal volume again. This happens if it’s quiet for more than like five seconds so it’s super duper annoying.

I want a pair of passive speakers so I don’t need to plug in power, and I realize it’s super weird to complain about plugging in speakers when I already have to plug the 1K into mains, but I ordered the battery pack power supply unit so the 1K will soon be mobile :cool: and I’ll be making beats in exotic new locations other rooms in the house because winter and covid.

E: Sorry I just realized this is not at all synth related at all, I’ll maybe go post this in IYG but I guess I’ll leave it here in case anyone has suggestions but if it derails I’ll delete.

What you have is a battery powered active speaker (with a bunch of extra circuitry for Bluetooth, EQ profiles and what sounds like an auto-off function for the 3.5mm in). A passive speaker is just a speaker, no batteries- you need an amp to drive one, so they wouldn't work with your MPC. You want a battery powered speaker that is as simple as possible- looking around online people recommend Minirigs a lot?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do I actually need power? In my mind passive speakers would be just like wired headphones which don't rely on any active power but I could be completely, incredibly wrong. I'll definitely look at the minirig though. I think I looked at them before I bought my JBL and made the wrong choice so I'm ready to call it another failure of my "buy once cry once" policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

speakers need a lot more power than headphones do, passive ones need an amplifier otherwise it’d be like having a pair of headphones on the desk working as speakers