Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Elukka posted:

In Finland we've got products called Dallaspulla and Texaspulla, which have absolutely nothing to do with Dallas or Texas given it's something that is completely unknown there and that you typically wouldn't get in the US at all, except maybe in the particularly Finnish-influenced areas of Michigan.

I had dallasbullar once on a business trip, and got the explanation that it refered to the tv show.

It's named a bunch of random stuff here in Sweden, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We've got a place in Philadelphia called Florida Style Pizza. Their food has nothing to do with Florida. Someone who was a second generation immigrant who had no experience of America outside the Poconos just named their pizzeria after some far away exotic land: Florida. They would've failed at some point but they invented a new fried dough and are now rich as balls.

Never heard of this and I now fear it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are France and Denmark two of the “Other”s?

Switzerland stands alone. Luxembourg doesn’t count.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why wouldn't it count? Lots of people who work in Luxembourg City live in Germany because it's so much cheaper...although many of those are either German themselves, or don't have the Luxembourgish nationality regardless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Luxembourg doesn’t count because even if the Luxembourgers are a plurality nowhere, that would only be on account of the nation’s size. It doesn’t reflect their good judgement.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

That’s a map I didn’t expect to see the old border on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Switzerland stands alone. Luxembourg doesn’t count.

There’s definitely French people on the border, lots of them are my cousins. I assume the Netherlands border is just a lot less populous than BaWü or Saarland thus get fewer immigrants.

It’d be interesting to see people born with two citizenships v actual foreign immigrants.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TinTower posted:

That’s a map I didn’t expect to see the old border on.

Why not? Turkish labour was imported in the 70s in Western Europe because of a shortage of domestic labour. It makes sense that West Germany has a lot more Turkish immigrants than the East, since there DDR didn't import Turkish labour.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

Can't be foreign on your own clay.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

Why not? Turkish labour was imported in the 70s in Western Europe because of a shortage of domestic labour. It makes sense that West Germany has a lot more Turkish immigrants than the East, since there DDR didn't import Turkish labour.

Did the East get a disproportionately high number of Syrians? Or are they just lacking other groups of foreigners?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Count Roland posted:

Did the East get a disproportionately high number of Syrians? Or are they just lacking other groups of foreigners?

The latter. There is barely any foreigners in rural East Germany and the few ones that are there would be randomly assigned refugees in refugee centers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
East Germany outside of the major cities is kind of a Nazi shithole

source: bff is from Sachsen-Anhalt

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ramstein and Landstuhl :911:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

BonHair posted:

The interesting thing is that Vietnamese don't show up on the map. Despite the BRD making GBS threads on them non-stop a lot of them stayed after reunification. Perhaps a lot of them naturalised.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elukka posted:

In Finland we've got products called Dallaspulla and Texaspulla, which have absolutely nothing to do with Dallas or Texas given it's something that is completely unknown there and that you typically wouldn't get in the US at all, except maybe in the particularly Finnish-influenced areas of Michigan.
Where's that again, somewhere in the UP?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's up with the US enclave in, i wanna say Saarland or just next to it? Military base?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

alnilam posted:

What's up with the US enclave in, i wanna say Saarland or just next to it? Military base?

That's Ramstein (no not that one).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

alnilam posted:

Yep, that's where Ramstein Air Base is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Honj Steak posted:

The latter. There is barely any foreigners in rural East Germany and the few ones that are there would be randomly assigned refugees in refugee centers.

two of the biggest areas for refugee resettlement in the US are Erie, PA, and Bowling Green, KY. Putting refugees in the places nobody else wants to live is a time-honored pan-atlantic tradition.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Note that refugees in Germany are assigned to states according to a formula that takes into account the wealth of the state and its population. The former GDR states are allocated ~15% of all refugees in 2020, excluding Berlin which is allocated 5,14%.

Those ~15% were enough to become the largest foreign group in a lot of Landkreise in the east.

Where I live refugee centres existed only for processing and were pretty close to public transport within the city. Though afaik a lot of the more conservative states put their centres in the sticks (and wondered, like absolute imbeciles, why a lot of refugees went crazy being in some centre in bumfuck nowhere all day with no way to do anything)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Carbon dioxide posted:

Boston Pizza is a pizza with spinach to me.

Boston is not a big city, don't let Red Sox and Celtics fans fool you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

two of the biggest areas for refugee resettlement in the US are Erie, PA, and Bowling Green, KY. Putting refugees in the places nobody else wants to live is a time-honored pan-atlantic tradition.

Then after a while the locals take a perverse pride in all the new ethnic restaurants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas posted:

The former GDR states are allocated ~15% of all refugees in 2020, excluding Berlin which is allocated 5,14%.

O.K. but how many is West Berlin allocated?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but how many is West Berlin allocated?

The city state of Berlin gets allocated about 5% of all refugees federally, of which about 42% are housed in districts that formerly belonged to West Berlin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tag yourself.

I’m the Central Pacific Railroad following the Humboldt River across Nevada.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm Michigan

I've just always liked the cool mittens shape it has

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the inevitable "that's just a map of population density" comment.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Platystemon posted:

Tag yourself.

Now to make it politically loaded, we can divide by people/ha to obtain usd/person. Like so:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I shouldn't be saying this because these maps make Flanders look really good, but there are of course several caveats. Mainly

1) it doesn't take cost of living into account
2) the produced wealth only partly flows back to the people who produced it :cryingmarx:
3) with some of the smaller, commuter-heavy regions, most of the wage-earners producing the wealth don't even live there. The Brussels Region contains some of the most impoverished municipalities in Belgium (Sint-Joost-ten-Node is the poorest municipality).

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I'm the unusually spread out wealth of Iowa.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Productivity of my NUTS is more than enough, thank you very much!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Blue Balls' Serbia

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

What a glorious map of blues and greens. Shame about all the red splotches ruining it though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Now to make it politically loaded, we can divide by people/ha to obtain usd/person. Like so:

Lichtenstein has no data, because no actual labour is done in there, only tax evasion and finance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lichtenstein doesn't exist it's just a hole in the ground

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Tag yourself.

I like the bits of “land” in Louisiana that are dark green; you can actually see where the real bits of land are on this map.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

saintonan posted:

What a glorious map of blues and greens. Shame about all the red splotches ruining it though.

How is your next campaign shaping up, Senator Cotton? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I assumed the US map was about land prices. what does 'Public land' mean in this context?