Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who are the best comedy tag teams of all time and how could they possibly be better than the Bushwhackers?

the florida brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who are the best comedy tag teams of all time and how could they possibly be better than the Bushwhackers?

The Brahman Brothers because they roll a bowling ball into their opponents' nuts and then shout STRIKE while one of them does a backflip.

Also they used to throw bits of squid at the audience before COVID and it was funny watching everyone run to the Korakuen bar when their music hit

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Alaois posted:

the florida brothers

yep

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Alaois posted:

the florida brothers

it's this

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

the florida brothers

:hmmyes:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

the florida brothers

:yeah:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Florida Brothers or Brahman Brothers are the first names that come to mind.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd say the brahman brothers and probably the florida brothers

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it was the Florida Brothers who did the Eddie Guerrero chair spot but they had put superglue on the sides of the chair so the other guy was unable to throw it away and got DQ'd, and the first time I saw that I was instantly convinced that they were the best ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sidenote, but I wonder if people who saw the Sheepherders do their ultra violent shtick in some territory ever turned on WWF to see them licking people and power walking and were sore confused.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Sidenote, but I wonder if people who saw the Sheepherders do their ultra violent shtick in some territory ever turned on WWF to see them licking people and power walking and were sore confused.

I'd imagine it was a similar feeling for people who knew Dusty Rhodes and his bloody history when he showed up dancing in polka dots. Was The Red Rooster before or after the Taylor Made Man? It's almost like that company has a history of taking people who were good in specific roles and use-cases and did a bunch of dumb bullshit with them.

Though, to be honest, if I'm the Bushwhackers and I've spent a good portion of my career beating the poo poo out of my body and bleeding buckets I'm probably a little stoked to work a lighter style and sell what I assume was a shitload of merchandise.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'd imagine it was a similar feeling for people who knew Dusty Rhodes and his bloody history when he showed up dancing in polka dots. Was The Red Rooster before or after the Taylor Made Man? It's almost like that company has a history of taking people who were good in specific roles and use-cases and did a bunch of dumb bullshit with them.

Though, to be honest, if I'm the Bushwhackers and I've spent a good portion of my career beating the poo poo out of my body and bleeding buckets I'm probably a little stoked to work a lighter style and sell what I assume was a shitload of merchandise.

Before. Taylor was considered a guy with a bright future before Vince signed him too, and I believe he was offered the Mr.Perfect gimmick first, and said no.

So I guess Terry has always been an idiot.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Before. Taylor was considered a guy with a bright future before Vince signed him too, and I believe he was offered the Mr.Perfect gimmick first, and said no.

I'm trying to imagine why you'd do this. "We're going to give you the gimmick that you're perfect, and the best at everything, always." Uhh, jeez Vince, I don't know, doesn't sound like I can get over with that...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was not offered Mr. Perfect.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I was a long-lapsed viewer at the time (and don't now, but that's immaterial), but what were the kayfabe/non-kayfabe reasons for the brand split happening when it first occurred?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I would imagine the non-kayfabe reason is that in the wake of the Monday Night Wars, WWE monopolized big money pro wrestling in America with no serious rival on the horizon so to try to drum up fan attachment, Raw and Smackdown would be set up as rival entities with differences in the roster/booking/presentation to try to recreate the excitement of that war, even though it was all under the WWE umbrella.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Kayfabe: To fund their purchases of WCW and ECW, Shane McMahon and Stephanie had sold their shares in WWE to "a consortium". Flair was the secret face or backer of the consortium and was essentially 50% owner, along with Vince. Vince couldn't handle Flair as his business partner and tried several things to take out Flair (setting Undertaker on him) or kill WWE (bringing in the NWO). Eventually, Linda McMahon who had some kind of kayfabe executive power decreed that Raw and SmackDown would be separate shows with separate rosters "owned" by Flair and Vince respectively.

Later in the year Vince beat Flair to win control of both shows, which demoted Flair back to a wrestler on Raw. Vince, who apparently had no interest in running a wrestling show, brought in Eric Bischoff and Stephanie to run each brand.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The kayfabe reason was that Shane and Stephanie McMahon sold their WWF stock to an unknown consortium so they could do the WCW Invasion. After the Invasion failed, the consortium was revealed to be just Ric Flair, who was now effectively Vince McMahon's partner in running WWF. The two kept butting heads, and eventually it was decided that Flair would get Raw whilst Vince would get Smackdown. The whole thing was abruptly dropped a few months later when Vince challenged Flair for control of Raw and won (creative was a mess in 2002; they probably would've kept it going for a bit had Steve Austin not walked out of the company, since he was feuding with Flair), but they still kept up the brand split for a few more years.

Non-kayfabe... well, I'm probably going to need to be correct a bunch here, but from what I gather it all stemmed from the WWF's purchase of WCW and ECW. The greatly expanded roster led Vince to desire two separate touring brands that I guess would ostensibly be "WWF" and "WCW". Supposedly the idea at one point was to make Raw a "WCW" show and Smackdown a "WWF" show, but plans for this were dropped very quickly when it turned out that fans weren't interested in WCW as an isolated entity, and TV people were understandably not interested in a dead brand. Instead they did the Invasion and then split the two shows after Wrestlemania 18. There were probably business decisions for it, but I know Vince himself loved egging on the "inter-promotional" rivalry aspect behind the scenes.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Who are the four most influential/best black wrestlers?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Who are the four most influential/best black wrestlers?

In terms of influence:
Bearcat Wright for being a big star, the first black world champion (WWA and WCW Australia) and pushing for desegregation
Ernie Ladd who was a giant star and played a big role in Mid South
The Junkyard Dog who in becoming such a huge star influenced how Watts and other bookers did things even if they were super racist
The Rock for obvious reasons

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Also in terms of non-kayfabe, the roster was just too huge and the brand split was needed to regulate it. For WWE, there was no reason not to dedicate lengthy segments to Rock, Angle, Triple H, Undertaker, etc. on both shows. That meant that the top part of the roster was getting really overused while the bottom half could barely get a word in edgewise. The split was a way to regulate exposure.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

In terms of influence:
Bearcat Wright for being a big star, the first black world champion (WWA and WCW Australia) and pushing for desegregation
The Junkyard Dog who in becoming such a huge star influenced how Watts and other bookers did things even if they were super racist

Thunderbolt Patterson
Abdullah the Butcher

Jack Claybourne was a big name in the 1940s and a big star in a bunch of early territories.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what was the deal w/ bobo brazil

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Akeem

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Serious Q: Was Akeem yet another gross rib on Dusty for 'trying to be Black'?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Yup. Even his nickname "The African Dream" was a blatant play on "The American Dream"

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I've always heard it was, and it makes sense because the only reason to go with the name Akeem is to rhyme it with African Dream. And there was no real reason for the African Dream nickname unless it was another shot at Dusty. I've also heard that Dusty used to tell bookers that they if they hired him they wouldn't have to bother with actually pushing black wrestlers, so as usual all wrestling is gross.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Gavok posted:

Also in terms of non-kayfabe, the roster was just too huge and the brand split was needed to regulate it. For WWE, there was no reason not to dedicate lengthy segments to Rock, Angle, Triple H, Undertaker, etc. on both shows. That meant that the top part of the roster was getting really overused while the bottom half could barely get a word in edgewise. The split was a way to regulate exposure.

As AEW has proven, you can have a big roster bursting at the seams with many top-level guys and be able to balance it if you have a little bit of booking discipline.

So anyway, yes, it makes sense that WWE needed the brand split.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

In terms of influence:

I can't disagree with this list but also want to slot in Bobo in there somewhere.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think it was the Florida Brothers who did the Eddie Guerrero chair spot but they had put superglue on the sides of the chair so the other guy was unable to throw it away and got DQ'd, and the first time I saw that I was instantly convinced that they were the best ever.

The first time I saw them, they did the Eddie chair spot, then smugly told the ref (in exaggerated accented Japanese) what they'd done immediately after they got the DQ win, and laughed like villains while the referee was like "damnit, they got me again!" It was awesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What do they mean by Bully Ray - who I have no warm feelings toward, don't get me wrong - helping to kill ROH?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RoH at one point was the home of the likes of CM Punk, Kevin Steen, El Generico Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson, and was synonymous with incredible wrestling. How did it end up where it is now?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

What do they mean by Bully Ray - who I have no warm feelings toward, don't get me wrong - helping to kill ROH?

He was a really bad creative influence on the company and his ego did not help things when he wasn't directly involved with creative.

edogawa rando posted:

RoH at one point was the home of the likes of CM Punk, Kevin Steen, El Generico Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson, and was synonymous with incredible wrestling. How did it end up where it is now?

Hiring the wrong people, not being able to keep talent when WWE raided and then not spending the big bucks on talent until about 3 months too late. They probably weren't going to be able to keep the Elite, but losing them sent the company from its hottest streak ever to very cold within 6 months.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

I've always heard it was, and it makes sense because the only reason to go with the name Akeem is to rhyme it with African Dream. And there was no real reason for the African Dream nickname unless it was another shot at Dusty. I've also heard that Dusty used to tell bookers that they if they hired him they wouldn't have to bother with actually pushing black wrestlers, so as usual all wrestling is gross.

Akeem was also Eddie Murphy's character from Coming to America they came out 3 months beforehand.

GVBX
Jan 17, 2014
I was watching last Friday’s Rampage, and during the Britt Baker match (where mid-match she put on the glove used to apply the lockjaw) and was wondering something:

to what extent does this concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun

actually apply, or should/should not apply, to booking matches?

For context, I grew up in the Attitude era, although I watched approximately 75% WCW and 25% WWF.

In WCW, watching as a kid I felt like nothing was certain, and it was an enticing reason to tune in.

The most egregious example I remember of not following (setting aside recent modern WWE being pretty nonsensical) was the “lockbox” that Vince and Shane talked about in a segment a few years ago.

Was that ever talked about again?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I would say the object/move/person/etc. in question generally has to be resolved in some way, like if Britt puts on the glove she’ll either have to do the move or attempt it only to be countered. She can’t just put on the glove for fun, it should have meaning of some description. Like in the match she eventually loses the title in she might put it on but her challenger will either counter it or tough out the move and win. Otherwise people will go ”what was up with that?”

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GVBX posted:

I was watching last Friday’s Rampage, and during the Britt Baker match (where mid-match she put on the glove used to apply the lockjaw) and was wondering something:

to what extent does this concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun

actually apply, or should/should not apply, to booking matches?

For context, I grew up in the Attitude era, although I watched approximately 75% WCW and 25% WWF.

In WCW, watching as a kid I felt like nothing was certain, and it was an enticing reason to tune in.

The most egregious example I remember of not following (setting aside recent modern WWE being pretty nonsensical) was the “lockbox” that Vince and Shane talked about in a segment a few years ago.

Was that ever talked about again?

If you introduce a prop, you make a promise, being that this prop will eventually have some significance. In the case of the glove, that's a small stakes short term promise that's fulfilled when she tries to apply the Lockjaw and either tries or fails. In the case of the lockbox, that's a big promise given the importance ascribed to it by Shane, which makes the risk of failing to actually make it have any fulfillment higher, and the possible embarrassment of an underwhelming fulfillment higher as well. If you break too many promises, or fulfill them badly, without successfully fulfilling as many or more promises, you can develop a bad reputation.

For instance, "who's the third man the Outsiders have?" was a big promise that the answer will be cool, and "it's/Hulk Hogan!" was a cool answer, which made people watch WCW more, but there are so many later promises WCW made that had no or bad answers that people stopped trusting them.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 28, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if things get introduced, they should be followed through on unless there are very good reasons to leave them unresolved. making a match no dq and having no spots in it that justify doing so compared to a regular match would (and does) suck; if someone sets up a table either they or their opponent should go through it

now, the big reason to leave something unresolved happens all the time: it makes you want to see a future match between the competitors. bryan and omega went to a time limit draw despite setting up a conflict between the two of them on who genuinely is the better wrestler, and that makes their eventual match between the two even hotter

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Of course, the prop still needs to be used well within the tropes and contexts of wrestling. I want to say that Russo defended his booking of having Juventud Guerrera win the IWGP Junior belt from Jushin Liger on Nitro after hitting him with a tequila bottle (because Mexican) as great writing, because the bottle had been seen the previous week or whatever and it therefore showed consistency. Instead Juvi got to hold the belt for a pointless seven days before dropping it back to Liger again. It didn't build anything, it didn't get anyone over, and it pissed NJPW off so much that it killed their relationship with WCW, with Juvi's reign going unacknowledged for years afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So what was up with Bulldog's outfit in WWE in 1999? Was it a Russo directive about wrestlers shedding their 90s gimmicks and just being "real people"?