Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
High Guardian Spice S1 E1

- Big fuckoff content warning at the start that (at least for the first episode) is completely unwarranted
- Character art is... acceptable, though really simplistic
- Character lighting/shading is completely wrong given the background art style; they look like they're on the scene, rather than in it; they're way too saturated, and drawn too simply by comparison
- They cheaped out on animation frames, and it's apparent almost immediately. And it's not a style thing, either, like Kill la Kill
- Shot framing isn't very interesting or manga-like
- No Japanese dubbing*
- Opening theme song is straight out of an 80's toy cartoon
- Closing theme song is straight out of a 90's toy cartoon
- Dad joke-level comedic dialogue
- Final Fantasy 9 black mage easter egg! :toot:
- Background music is generic

* Yes, I know this was specifically made for the NA market and no, I don't give a poo poo

C-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

It's annoying that not even pirates are interested in it, I don't want to watch it on crunchyroll. :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The actual plot of the first episode was whatever. Some nice character establishment/building though, on their way to hogwarts old spice academy, or whatever it was called.

I'd give you one of those guest passes but I guess they dont do that anymore

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 27, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*entering the building holding only a few sheets of paper* sorry. sorry everyone. we decided not to spend that much on frames this year. these are the only frames we can afford

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

*entering the building holding only a few sheets of paper* sorry. sorry everyone. we decided not to spend that much on frames this year. these are the only frames we can afford

I love Eizouken

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I love Eizouken

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another Netflix Cowboy Bebop trailer is out:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ULCIHP5dc44

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Someone in Kadokawa's board room: "Wait what if we finance more key frames by selling NFT's?"
Someone else in Kadokawas board room: "Wait, what if we sell NFT's and just keep all the money for ourselves?"
Kadokawa CEO: "Brilliant lets do it"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

High Guardian Spice S1 E2
- The dialogue and delivery is wholly Western. If it was Crunchyroll's mission to make an American cartoon, they've succeeded, cause a localized anime this ain't
- If you'd told me this was made by the WB, I'd believe it
- The "school bell" is Clerks Cartoon as gently caress, and it cracks me up every time
- The two humans are roommates, and the two demi-humans are roommates

To be clear; in a vacuum, this show would be fine, but it's on Crunchyroll, so that's the content library it's gonna be compared against.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 27, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im watchin tiger seven and it whips rear end

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Mister Facetious posted:

To be clear; in a vacuum, this show would be fine, but it's on Crunchyroll, so that's the content library it's gonna be compared against.

Yeah I mean, kids could be watching Idol Time Pripara instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kids could be watching attack on titan instead

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

in this scenario my hypothetical kids would have already been watching kaiji because gotta start them young

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Listen there can only be one Spice show on Crunchy and can High Guardian Spice really compete with Release the Spyce?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

Listen there can only be one Spice show on Crunchy and can High Guardian Spice really compete with Release the Spyce?

is Spice n Wolf really not on Crunchy?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Space Flower posted:

Yeah I mean, kids could be watching Idol Time Pripara instead

Hey its the weakest of the Pripara series but it's still good!

OneDeadman posted:

Haven't watched High Guardian yet but it'd have to be real bad to be worse than Spyce

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Big fuckoff content warning at the start that (at least for the first episode) is completely unwarranted

the content warning in question:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Kild posted:

is Spice n Wolf really not on Crunchy?

It's a funimation show, so it's not on Crunchy.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You could apply that to kill-la-kill, or maybe even dragon maid or something.

Might as well not apply the warning at all, given the amount of debate around anime in general and its suitability for showing kids.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hey its the weakest of the Pripara series but it's still good!

Weakest of what, the two Priparas?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Weakest of what, the two Priparas?

I mean the first Pripara had 3 full seasons with the second one being arguably on of the best idol series period. Plus Leona is great!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sb hermit posted:

the content warning in question:

Yeah, i haven't even heard one bad word yet. Not even "drat" or "Hell".

And as for sexual content... lol.

Anime, as depicted by Mormons.

Ooh wait! Episode 3, the protagonist said, "Crap!" :ohdear:

I know this sounds weird when they look nothing alike, but goddamn- i keep getting Clerks Cartoon vibes from the animation, and I can't explain why.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 27, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I feel that the modern cartoon series format is dominated by streaming services (including whatever rooster teeth decides to show on youtube), and this felt like a half-hearted play by crunchyroll to maybe sorta dip a toe in the water to see where bankrolling western animation could go. Maybe there was a hotshot VP that wanted this to happen. Maybe they qualified for a big tax writeoff on a project if it fulfilled certain requirements, and this was it. Maybe a big favor needed to be called in.

At any rate, there is undoubtedly a big juicy story behind that content warning and why no one bothered to remove it before airing the entire series. Something like that would not have been overlooked. given how much they've been hyping this show this season up until today.

And I hope that story sees the light of day. Not like it'll be anything more than a chapter in someone's career or a 300 word blog post or a 6 post twitter thread. As it is, it's a spent chip in the bargaining table when Sony bought the place. With any luck, Netflix will license it for a song and it'll get wider fan appreciation.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Anime, as depicted by Mormons.

I'm getting quite the feeling from thinking about this.

The same feeling I get when I hear the proud Mormon mom singing bible hymns in Klingon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

E3
- They dropped a big "I'm transgender" with one of the teachers, then did an explanation of what it is. Seems overblown to need the disclaimer just for that, but I'm not a publicly traded corporation.
- Dialogue still isn't very funny, but I'm liking some of the sight gags. Also the animators aren't very good at changing facial expressions in the same scene, e.g. from happy to disappointed, etc. The eyes, specifically.

E4
- if i didn't know better, I'd swear this shopkeeper kid is a parody of Larry from the show Bob Newhart. He's got that sleepy, mumbling, laid back voice and I find it funny.
- Maybe it's because I've been listening almost entirely to subtitled content for years and I've lost perspective, but so far I really feel the voice actors are portraying the student characters older than they look. Everyone's voice is so deep.
- God, they're so bad at animating everyone's eyes. They rarely track targets at all. It's like watching an Ubisoft cutscene.

E5
- casual use of the word poo poo but not as an insult
- Boomer energy from the old lady teacher
- Did "slab" become a regular term of reference (derogatory, in this case) outside of Borderlands when I wasn't looking?
- the chibi versions of the main four during the end credits are really cute for the five seconds they appear

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 27, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

The actual plot of the first episode was whatever. Some nice character establishment/building though, on their way to hogwarts old spice academy, or whatever it was called.

I'd give you one of those guest passes but I guess they dont do that anymore

I finished watching ep 1 too. This is accurate.

Title cards with writing credits really brings back the 90s cartoon vibe. Probably because it's all in English and I can actually read all the credits now.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Mister Facetious posted:

- Did "slab" become a regular term of reference (derogatory, in this case) outside of Borderlands when I wasn't looking?

It's just a reference to a joke on episode 2 about Sage living in Pebble. I don't think they meant to make that a double reference to anything else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ignis posted:

It's just a reference to a joke on episode 2 about Sage living in Pebble. I don't think they meant to make that a double reference to anything else

That was the exact spot i went to the washroom :-/

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What stopped you from pausing the video

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

boruto showed the swing! more screentime!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I watched the first episode of HGS. It was fine. I will probably watch more of it.

Seems distinctly like crunchyroll is trying to sabotage it as much as possible though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Taking obsessive notes on this show I hate but I won't stop watching it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i don't think they said anything about hating it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

- Big fuckoff content warning at the start that (at least for the first episode) is completely unwarranted
- Character art is... acceptable, though really simplistic
- Character lighting/shading is completely wrong given the background art style; they look like they're on the scene, rather than in it; they're way too saturated, and drawn too simply by comparison
- They cheaped out on animation frames, and it's apparent almost immediately. And it's not a style thing, either, like Kill la Kill
- Shot framing isn't very interesting or manga-like
- No Japanese dubbing*
- Opening theme song is straight out of an 80's toy cartoon
- Closing theme song is straight out of a 90's toy cartoon
- Dad joke-level comedic dialogue
- Final Fantasy 9 black mage easter egg! :toot:
- Background music is generic

* Yes, I know this was specifically made for the NA market and no, I don't give a poo poo

C-

Could have fooled me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think crunchyroll was obsessively trying to sabotage high guardian spice. i think it was a tv show they produced and then mismanaged because they're stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Could have fooled me
uhhh gorf i dont think a C is 'hate'

i think theyre just writing brief episode reviews

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gorf: people should be allowed to criticize stuff

some guy: here are my criticisms of this thing

gorf: WOW MAD MUCH?? YOURE OBSESSIVE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

uhhh gorf i dont think a C is 'hate'

i think theyre just writing brief episode reviews

Negative commentary does not compute.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea a C- just would mean average-to-mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just say average, different people use those letter grades for completely different meanings. In my locality a B- is the minimum passing grade so a C- would be a pretty bad fail.