Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Even the default TikTok voice would be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

The accent Seth is trying to affect in the initial recording (“leff and cry”) is the exaggeratedly upper-crust mid-Atlantic dialect that Bill Bryson referred to as Hyperlect or “Fraffly”, as in “weh sue fraffly gled yorkered calm”, neither of which name I can find any reference to now and I assume I am making it up.

E: or he was

This is from a few pages back, but in 1965 a guy with the pen name "Afferbeck Lauder" (alphabetical order, right?) wrote "Let Stalk Strine" about the horrific 60's Australian accent. He followed this up with "Fraffly Suite" about how the British sounded; I rescued my copy from a recycling bin. It is a moffler swirk of grey choomer.
So yes, you aren't making it up, but neither is Bryson.

e: the author/illustrator went on to design Australia's decimal currency??

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 21, 2021

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

That "newer" clip was from four years ago

Are you trying to make me audibly yelp "No!" in my apartment? Because congratulations, that's what you just accomplished.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Can Julie Kavner still talk normally at this point in her life? Man, is the money even worth it anymore for her? She's probably got more than even her grandkids could spend, just retire and live n comfort, that poo poo just sounds painful to do. If doing so finally lays the Simpsons to rest, she'd be doing the world a favor.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Surely no one would do that to their own voice voluntarily? Even Tom Waits only went so far

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iamsosmrt posted:

Can Julie Kavner still talk normally at this point in her life? Man, is the money even worth it anymore for her? She's probably got more than even her grandkids could spend, just retire and live n comfort, that poo poo just sounds painful to do. If doing so finally lays the Simpsons to rest, she'd be doing the world a favor.

She's a recluse, so it's impossible to know if it's hosed up her voice real bad.

She makes like $300,000 per episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

iamsosmrt posted:

Core actors get $300k an ep. Each season is about 22 eps, so $6.6 million a year (not considering any legacy payments.) With back of envelope math and only considering last 20 years (some years was less, others more), Kavner would have received about $132 million.

I doubt money matters for anyone who has been on the show for 30+ years. I'm guessing show runners are aware Kavner sounds awful and is getting worse but she enjoys being paid $300k an ep and has zero incentive to leave. If they tried to force her out and the other core cast saw their income as under threat they could refuse to work unless she was kept around, and if it reached that point where there were whispers of cancellation everyone involved would shrug and put up with Dying Marge rather than try to find another gravy train.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Core actors get $300k an ep. Each season is about 22 eps, so $6.6 million a year (not considering any legacy payments.) With back of envelope math and only considering last 20 years (some years was less, others more), Kavner would have received about $132 million.

I doubt money matters for anyone who has been on the show for 30+ years. I'm guessing show runners are aware Kavner sounds awful and is getting worse but she enjoys being paid $300k an ep and has zero incentive to leave. If they tried to force her out and the other core cast saw their income as under threat they could refuse to work unless she was kept around, and if it reached that point where there were whispers of cancellation everyone involved would shrug and put up with Dying Marge rather than try to find another gravy train.

Right, I mean this is probably the actual reality of the situation, I'm just being reactionary to the fact that she sounds like vocal nails on chalkboard and it's borderline disturbing to listen to. In truth, if she's happy doing what she's doing and collecting that bank, more power to her.

If they've been putting up with her declining voice for this long (among other major issues with the show) I doubt they give a gently caress about it more than people in this thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The cast has very good at sticking together, and Harry Shearer has had one foot out the door for 25 years. Any attempt to replace Kavner would probably end the show.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember a few years back (maybe 10-ish at this point?) hearing about Harry Shearer for sure quit for real. And then a few weeks later the articles just never followed up, and he's still been around. There's no way any of them would quit a job like that. It's crazy to do it. They're basically getting tons of money for just talking to a wall for a few hours a year. And they still complain they aren't getting paid enough. I'm incredibly jealous.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hrist posted:

I remember a few years back (maybe 10-ish at this point?) hearing about Harry Shearer for sure quit for real. And then a few weeks later the articles just never followed up, and he's still been around. There's no way any of them would quit a job like that. It's crazy to do it. They're basically getting tons of money for just talking to a wall for a few hours a year. And they still complain they aren't getting paid enough. I'm incredibly jealous.

There's power in a union! The actors have stuck together several times and vowed to just end the loving show rather than let them cut pay or recast someone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

iamsosmrt posted:

Right, I mean this is probably the actual reality of the situation, I'm just being reactionary to the fact that she sounds like vocal nails on chalkboard and it's borderline disturbing to listen to. In truth, if she's happy doing what she's doing and collecting that bank, more power to her.

If they've been putting up with her declining voice for this long (among other major issues with the show) I doubt they give a gently caress about it more than people in this thread.

Yeah that's true. It is interesting as a standout example of the current show being garbage, as it can't be handwaved away as a cranky old fan or generational thing and is obvious to anyone.

PostNouveau posted:

The cast has very good at sticking together, and Harry Shearer has had one foot out the door for 25 years. Any attempt to replace Kavner would probably end the show.

Yeah that's right, Shearer playing hardball in previous seasons and winding up being able to phone it in from a home studio was a huge concession. Combined with the pandemic I wonder if the whole voice acting crew is WFH now.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Is this horrible show still on because even though none of them want to do it anymore they're afraid of letting each other down? Abilene paradox for 33 years

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No, what does "coming out of it" mean?

This is 600 dollar-in-dues tier. Holy poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Is this horrible show still on because even though none of them want to do it anymore they're afraid of letting each other down? Abilene paradox for 33 years

They got a group chat going without Azaria that's just like "we gotta stick it out he'll go back on the sauce if this show gets cancelled"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Combined with the pandemic I wonder if the whole voice acting crew is WFH now.

if I understand correctly they all have been for years. that's part of why the show sucks now: no synergy in the readings (and no table reads, I imagine)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
no combinatory value, if you will

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In the newest episode, Bart and Lisa get fat, Patty and Selma sing, and why does that therapist have one boob?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mantis42 posted:

In the newest episode, Bart and Lisa get fat, Patty and Selma sing, and why does that therapist have one boob?

Because it's brave. I saw an article lauding them for it.
It's like if your show starts in the 90's, everyone continues to grade you on a 90's curve.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Then Kung Pow is the bravest film ever made.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Oh god, more loving songs. And Julie Kavner ones at that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Bart already got fat once, it had a pretty good Albert Brooks performance.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

Then Kung Pow is the bravest film ever made.

And finally getting recognised for it!

ed: Please forgive the modern Simpsons writers. We trained them wrong, on purpose, as a joke.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my son Bort is also fat

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Wow!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Homer takes the family to a water park he fondly remembers because he had a summer job there and got to watch people eat it all summer. Lisa reveals she's seen a documentary about it ("Lawsuit Park", which is a really sad non-joke parody of "Class Action Park") and replays all Homer's flashback memories on her iPad but with sad music under it. This would be an OK joke but Homer says "no, there was different music playing", overexplaining it.

The park has been toned down so much it sucks, but Homer finds a decommissioned ride and turns it back on. The kids and Homer catch a bunch of parasites and get put on steroids, which causes them to get fat. The bullies take Bart under their wing to help him "bulk" up further, showing him their secret gym in the school basement (none of the kids actually know how to work out and them doing it wrong for the rest of the episode is a decent gag).

Lisa freaks out about it because Marge calls her "chunky". She tells Homer she wishes she didn't care what people thought, so he calls Patty and Selma to help her be more callous. They sing her a parody of "Age of Aquarius" called "The Age of Who Gives a Crap?" It's atrocious.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1452431059992420364

Marge and Lisa go to a hypnotherapist who shows them Marge's mom also accidentally made her feel bad about her looks, and they bond over shared trauma. Bart becomes disillusioned with the gym when the bullies bring girls into it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this Bart fellow sounds like a real underachiever

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do they just get Kavner to sing in every episode now or what?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do they just get Kavner to sing in every episode now or what?

Sometimes they get Kristen Bell

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
why do new ("new") episodes have like five A and B plots, if they had half as many plots they might actually have time to make a joke funny

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent steroids used to kill parasites different from the muscle bulk ones? also did you skip Bort getting roid rage and being a tiny muscle boy or did that not happen?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

why do new ("new") episodes have like five A and B plots, if they had half as many plots they might actually have time to make a joke funny
the goal isn’t to write a story, the goal is to get enough text on the page resembling jokes to go home at 5 PM

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
A simulacrum of jokes.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Some comedy writers use the term “jokoids” to describe things that have the structure and structural function of a joke, but which aren’t funny, and since I learned this I see them everywhere and it ruined my enjoyment of things a bit. Now it can ruin your enjoyment of things, too! You can definitely start seeing places where a writer has gone “there needs to be a joke here” and a jokoid has had to be used instead.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So is that just a joke that is bad? Or a non-joke? Either way modern Simpsons must be like 95% jokoids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Joke-shaped object.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the jokoid is in the corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So is that just a joke that is bad? Or a non-joke? Either way modern Simpsons must be like 95% jokoids.

I don’t know if bad is quite the right word, because a “bad joke” can still provoke a strong reaction— I think it’s supposed to be more like an empty joke, which provokes no reaction at all. It’s not like a terrible pun that makes you sad for days.

So it has the rough delivery of a joke, and occurs in a place you would expect a joke to be, but there is nothing within it that could be considered funny. It’s more like a sign with “this is a joke” written on it. I think.

I am not a comedy writer or anything resembling one so may have this wrong, and I don’t know how subjective this is. It would be easy to just call all the jokes you personally don’t like jokoids, and looking around the internet I think people definitely do. But at the same time I think it is possible to construct something that looks like a joke that would elicit no real reaction from almost anybody, and that this probably does happen in comedy quite a bit?