Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

repiv posted:

I use the back non-pointy end of the screwdriver that comes with the D15
And don’t forget the necessary incantation: “Motherfucking piece of poo poo…gently caress…bollocks…why did they do this?”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1452969756412284943

That actually… is cool? Looks like it’s above the slot so should be actually reachable.

are people swapping graphics cards a lot?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The sort of people who buy extreme OC boards sometimes are. And once you're making it, why not throw it on midrange boards? Dinguses will pay for all kinds of features they will literally never use on a $200-300 board.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think my 970 is welded to the MB at this point.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do, especially on my little test bench i goof with. Its fun. I've also had my primary GPU out probably 3-4 times over the last year to repaste it and repad it and move M.2 drives around which are now sealed underneath the GPU on most boards etc etc. It happens more than I would like.

Most people probably aren't pulling out their GPU very often, but most people also don't really need a $250+ motherboard like even the lowest ROGs are gonna be.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ugh, yeah I have a new motherboard (aorus elite ax v2) and the CMOS battery is underneath the GPU. Having to take out this enormous 6800XT every time the BIOS needed resetting because I was having to mess with settings to get the also-new memory sticks working as intended got very old, very fast.

Don't stick the bloody CMOS battery in such an awkward place, or at least have a quick BIOS reset button somewhere. My old z68 board from like a decade ago had this little red button for such a purpose, why not anymore?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is there no reset header? Just plug your reset button into it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there no reset header? Just plug your reset button into it.

:stonk: having to plug in anymore headers than is necessary to simply turn on the fans

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I swap cards once very few years and each time is a PITA to unhook it. Nothing major, but this kind of feature would definitely make that board more valuable to me. On an old ASUS MB I had, that had the "upgrade BIOS from the USB slot, no CPU required" feature, I used it once or twice in the 5 years I had it. But it was a life saver at that moment in time. It would have been a brick otherwise. Since then I definitely look for that feature in a MB (lots have it now thankfully).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I like the on-die ECC feature though? Is this implying that there will also be DIMM kits that *won't* enable the on-die ECC-on-refresh feature? I'd like to be wary of those.
It's only function, so far as I can tell, is to ensure that more cells pass QA.

You don't get any of the benefits of good ECC memory (on a good motherboard), where ECC errors generate a NMI at the very least.

Cygni posted:

Speaking of that, Linus put a pretty good DDR5 explainer video up, including touching on that potentially annoying issue we talked about months ago with DDR5 modules having multiple different kinds of voltage controllers that may limit overclocking on some modules, and others that have "programable" modes that have to be certified by motherboard vendors. He seems to be generally positive about DDR5, and considering they actually have it and are running it, thats probably a good sign.
You might wanna take this with a grain of salt, considering that this is the guy who's been destroying his companies business critical data for like a decade through wilful ignorance and outright dumb actions that were guaranteed to lead to failure.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When I think "a failure", "dumb", and "has lost all his business critical data" I sure do think of Linus Sebastian.

There are a lot of reasons not to consider LTT as a primary source for anything. Linus's intelligence or competence is not one of them.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
There's always Anthony to help them get their facts straight. Love that dude.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Didnt really mean to start the YouTuber arguments again, was just the first DDR5 rundown for gaming platforms I have seen where people actually have the platform running in their hands.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You might wanna take this with a grain of salt, considering that this is the guy who's been destroying his companies business critical data for like a decade through wilful ignorance and outright dumb actions that were guaranteed to lead to failure.

Well, until tech jesus does one...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What, specifically, in this video is inaccurate?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

There's always Anthony to help them get their facts straight. Love that dude.

He is a nerds nerd. I can't help but be jealous tbh.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah it's the one thing I don't like about my Noctua cooler, is that larger cards sit so close that you can't hit the slot release without taking a knife and shoving it down there. A quick-release button that doesn't sit under the GPU is a very tidy solution to that.

I'd actually rather they just took the slot lock off. Things worked fine without it, I'm not sure why we suddenly needed it other than it being "fancier/newer/better". Obviously you can just rip it off yourself but.. I'd rather not. Unless there's some trick to removing it without putting a ton of force on the slot?

Things worked fine, because all the motherboards were horizontal, all the add in cards were small and light, and the big and heavy cards were all long enough that they attached to the rails at the front of the case.

I'm sure the AGP people wouldn't have specified such an extra expense and annoyance if they hadn't found it necessary in testing.

You might think the screwing the bracket would be enough, but I don't think the manufacturing quality of cases is high enough to rely on that. I used to have a case where you couldn't fasten the GPU once it was locked in the slot, the bracket notch and slot screw hole were way too misaligned. I had to put the screw on the hole below bracket.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

I'm sure the AGP people wouldn't have specified such an extra expense and annoyance if they hadn't found it necessary in testing.

It's not for consumers anyway, it's for OEM's who ship pre-assembled systems through UPS/Fedex. That thing needs to work at first button push or the service cost kills the entire profit. We get it as consumers because latching slots are so much more common they are probably cheaper than ones without.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-12th-gen-core-alder-lake-s-final-specifications-and-pricing-leaks-ahead-of-launch

Some thoughts:

- apparently Age of Empires 4 is very single-threaded according to Digital Foundry so that should be kept in mind (on top of being suspicious of benchmarks coming straight from the manufacturer)

- 289.00 USD MSRP for the i5 is pretty competitive with the Ryzen 5 5600X, for something that's supposed to be non-trivially faster, and the KF model even moreso, assuming those prices hold

- however, having to move to a new motherboard (if not new RAM) is going to away at that price comparison by quite a bit, and especially if they're only going to be releasing Z690 motherboards (because only K models are being released in November)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 27, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

125w even on the midrange parts lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FC6 is also heavily single-threaded. Both it and AoE IV should mirror the single-core performance gains Alder Lake is bringing.

None of these gains are very surprising. It'd be a pretty shocking disappointment if the new architecture Intel is releasing wasn't better than a year-old product line. AMD is sort of slipping here by not having anything competitive to release until early next year.

edit: 5600X availability has been somewhat spotty this last month. Makes me wonder if AMD is holding any product back for a surge + price cut. A $250 or $240 5600X would at least stay semi-competitive with the 12600KF. If AMD keeps the 5600X at $300, then I wouldn't see any reason to ever consider it, unless you have heat/power concerns.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 27, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Guess I'll finally be going custom loop this time around then!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

125w even on the midrange parts lol

IIRC 125w has been default long duration power limit on the K skus for a long time now. There will presumably be 65w non k skus.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

One thing I'm kind of surprised / disappointed by is every rumor so far points to basically no change in the igpu from tiger lake. Would have thought going to lpddr5 / ddr5 might be a nice opportunity to make a mobile sku with a more performant GPU, but everyone's claiming 96eu for the top mobile part with no mention of major design changes.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

One thing I'm kind of surprised / disappointed by is every rumor so far points to basically no change in the igpu from tiger lake. Would have thought going to lpddr5 / ddr5 might be a nice opportunity to make a mobile sku with a more performant GPU, but everyone's claiming 96eu for the top mobile part with no mention of major design changes.

The top 96eu model which is in Tigerlake sees a healthy performance boost with LPDDR4X-4266 over DDR4-3200 so I imagine it'll be even better once they throw some DDR5-4800 or LPDDR5-6400 at it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

FC6 is also heavily single-threaded. Both it and AoE IV should mirror the single-core performance gains Alder Lake is bringing.

None of these gains are very surprising. It'd be a pretty shocking disappointment if the new architecture Intel is releasing wasn't better than a year-old product line. AMD is sort of slipping here by not having anything competitive to release until early next year.

edit: 5600X availability has been somewhat spotty this last month. Makes me wonder if AMD is holding any product back for a surge + price cut. A $250 or $240 5600X would at least stay semi-competitive with the 12600KF. If AMD keeps the 5600X at $300, then I wouldn't see any reason to ever consider it, unless you have heat/power concerns.

yeah no shocker here, the same twitter guy hyperventilating for 3 releases in a row about massive intel price increases was full of poo poo. Basically 10-series/11-series prices again.

there's a pretty strong chance that AMD either drops prices on the existing parts, and slots v-cache in at the current pricing (yeah, they lose ST, but they'll win in a lot of MT, plus the whole cloud with big.little especially on the larger chips, plus they have a mindshare advantage, a lot of their customers will buy them even if it's theoretical slight or even large Intel win). Perhaps they'll finally allow prices to float down a little bit for pricing parity with intel and it's back to "a bit more MT power at the same price point, a little less ST".

of course that could be with price cuts on the existing parts with the new parts becoming "XT", or it could be introducing the 5600 and 5700X, or putting everything into a 6000 series lineup, and so on. Lots of ways to do that, and there's no way to predict that, it's just what gets printed on the box.

I would say the "Zen3 XT" non-vcache rumor sounds dead at this point, unless it's what the v-cache SKUs are going to be named, or unless that's the name for increased-frequency parts branded as 6700X / etc. They may crank clocks a little with a rebrand on the non-vcache parts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 27, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Keynote in ~15min
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/events/on-event-series.html

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I stumbled upon that elsewhere. I haven't been paying too much attention to CPUs other than the media blast of the new M1. Are we expecting any excitement from the keynote?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think so, when you are the one lagging you leak everything to get customers to delay upgrading.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

IIRC 125w has been default long duration power limit on the K skus for a long time now. There will presumably be 65w non k skus.

Then question is what the performance will be at 65W instead of 125W and if it beats the 65W Ryzen 5. Intel has always seemed to scale better "vertically" (ie, more power = higher single thread performance) so I'd be really curious to see how it all shakes out when theres benchmarks of the full line up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DDR5 prices don’t look too insane. Baseline is 2x8 for $116 and 2x16 for $212. Thats 2x the price of the cheapest DDR4, but not bad for a new ram standard.

Board prices however are stupid. I know that’s been true since X570, but it’s still true.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The geek is back!!!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Who are these nerds?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

So will there be Alder Lake motherboards supporting the fancier real ECC in the DDR5 or will there have to be an eventual Xeon for that?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Who are these nerds?
I think Intel realised that having MBAs spewing marketing speak about underdeliverying products probably wasn't a winning solution.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
lmao the floating 3d models getting bumped around by Pat's hand

then a slide hiccup

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

there's a pretty strong chance that AMD either drops prices on the existing parts, and slots v-cache in at the current pricing (yeah, they lose ST, but they'll win in a lot of MT, plus the whole cloud with big.little especially on the larger chips, plus they have a mindshare advantage, a lot of their customers will buy them even if it's theoretical slight or even large Intel win). Perhaps they'll finally allow prices to float down a little bit for pricing parity with intel and it's back to "a bit more MT power at the same price point, a little less ST".
The ST gaming benchmark graphs use the win11 version with the AMD L3 cache bug (~1/3 read speed, latency issues? didn't follow closely) and memory that reduces ST performance by quite a bit. Actual ST difference should be smaller than shown in the chart.

My personal take is even if that were an honest ST comparison, that's not enough to get anyone to upgrade. 8700k or better intel cpus and zen2 or better amd cpus have 0 reason to upgrade to anything that has came out lately on desktop.

If you're building something new, especially for gaming, then Alder Lake is a legitimate contender from what we've seen so far.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 27, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khorne posted:

The ST gaming benchmarks use the win11 version with the L3 cache bug and 3200 JEDEC memory. Actual ST difference should be significantly smaller.

Honestly, anyone with a 9XXXk cpu or better or zen2 or better has no incentive to upgrade to this platform or any other. At least not yet.

What about those of us in the 6700k army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

What about those of us in the 6700k army?
For anything not hindered by 4c/8t the 6700k is still fine too. There are some reasons to upgrade from it, but at this point why not wait another year or two. You're practically in the modern version of the sandy/ivy bridge army (3770k @ 4.7GHz) I was in before upgrading to zen2

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 27, 2021