Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

Figured out the vaccination card thing, for CA at least. Had a screenshot in Notes, saw the live text button in the corner, and the QR code was highlighted as well as the text. Tapped the QR code and asked to open in Health, with add to wallet in there iirc.

I was finally able to add the vax record to Health by finding the QR code on my hospital's patient portal, but it can't be added to my wallet because Health thinks it's "unverified."

I pity Apple for trying to make sense out of medical records and procedure because it's a horrible thankless task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Charles posted:

Have you updated to 15.1? I hear that helps with some of the shortcut issues

Nope, doing it now! Will see if that helps.

japtor posted:

Figured out the vaccination card thing, for CA at least. Had a screenshot in Notes, saw the live text button in the corner, and the QR code was highlighted as well as the text. Tapped the QR code and asked to open in Health, with add to wallet in there iirc.

Got any automation/shortcut things? Trying to think of what else could do it, besides like a bad/tight case pushing the buttons or something.

Slow in the shortcut app when you test it or only during actual use? Not sure it makes a difference but might as well try force quitting the Shortcuts app and/or restarting the phone. I recently had a background automation that wasn’t working until I did that.

I'll try this if the update doesn't fix it. I've rebooted several times so would imagine that would have cleared it from memory.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

Have you updated to 15.1? I hear that helps with some of the shortcut issues

Yeah update to 15.1 it should fix most of the shortcut issues.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Got the new gen 3 AirPods. I guess you need 15.1 to use them, so heads up to anyone expecting a shipment to go ahead and update. (I haven’t yet so no trip report.)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

fourwood posted:

Got the new gen 3 AirPods. I guess you need 15.1 to use them, so heads up to anyone expecting a shipment to go ahead and update. (I haven’t yet so no trip report.)

The goodies like autopair are locked behind 15.1, but they work on your idevices as a regular bluetoobs.

Airpod 3 review: they cool. Siri dimming instead of stopping\pausing is a nice feature coming from Gen 1. Gonna miss the tap to pause\resume as the button on the stems are resting right on my fat face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm sure the new AirPods are great but why not get the Pros for another $20? I know the MSRP is $250 but every major retailer has them for under $200.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If I need ANC I'll use my very nice Sony cans. I'll get 6 on these and 5 if I turn off the ANC and transparency features on Pros. I'm sure these will be 150 on amazon in a week or so so the price differential will be a bit longer.

And I've had my Gen 1 since 2018 so they're under 45 mins of battery life.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah update to 15.1 it should fix most of the shortcut issues.

Didn't have an impact, still taking the time. It's the one that is provided in the gallery. I'll play around and research some more. May just have to deal with it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure the new AirPods are great but why not get the Pros for another $20? I know the MSRP is $250 but every major retailer has them for under $200.

maybe they're more durable? I've been through five individual pods and I'm probably going to get a sixth before my applecare expires next week, because my left one has started clicking and popping AGAIN

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I absolutely hate the design of the Pros with the rubber tips.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don’t care for the rubber tips myself. Honestly didn’t need to upgrade from my gen 1s but I said to myself I would do it when they announced it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

LODGE NORTH posted:

It’s this. I’ve never had a pair of buds with rubber tips that I’ve liked, and I liked my gen 1 normal AirPods a lot. So maybe the rubber tips would be okay, but I’m skeptical from the get go so why spend $200 to still find out I hate them?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Same, but opposite. I hate the design of the Amateurs with the hard plastic bud.

Thankfully Apple makes both to make everyone happy. :)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just get some Comply tips if you don't like the silicone tips of the Pros, jeez.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just get some Comply tips if you don't like the silicone tips of the Pros, jeez.

Some people just don't like putting things in their ears.

Although I used to feel that way but the Pros are the first ones that have been comfy for me.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

101 posted:

Some people just don't like putting things in their ears.

Although I used to feel that way but the Pros are the first ones that have been comfy for me.
I’m at least tip-curious since a lot of people say things like this (that they’re better with the Pros than a lot of others) so I may have to experiment a bit in the future.

But so far AirPods Mk.III seem like they’ll make me happy, although yeah, un-learning the taps in favor of the pinch is gonna take some time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have chronic eustachian tube inflammation and nothing is a faster trip to ear infection town than a pair of rubber tips for earbuds, no matter how sterile. Just something about making a seal in my ears is a no go.

The regular rear end airpods are the only in-ear things I can tolerate. They did a really good job on the shape of those things, especially remembering the awful ones that they shipped with ipods way back when

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When does Apple come out with their retro on-ear headphones with the cheap foam pillows? Because that's what I'm really wanting these days.

But wireless, with the W2 chips.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Didn't have an impact, still taking the time. It's the one that is provided in the gallery. I'll play around and research some more. May just have to deal with it.
I'd open it up and see where or if it gets stuck and troubleshoot from there, although I'd understand if you have no interest in going that far down the rabbit hole for this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Interestingly my max volume bug doesn't happen when I have Bluetooth headphones connected so I doubt it's a physical/button thing (but also music is playing most of the time I have BT connected so who knows)

Maybe it's just Instagram.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

I'd open it up and see where or if it gets stuck and troubleshoot from there, although I'd understand if you have no interest in going that far down the rabbit hole for this.

It's pretty straight forward. Looks as streamlined as I can make it, although not a shortcuts expert.

It's strange as it was insane before and now not.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

xzzy posted:

When does Apple come out with their retro on-ear headphones with the cheap foam pillows? Because that's what I'm really wanting these days.

But wireless, with the W2 chips.

here you (mostly) go

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guessing this is the hold up for Covid vaccination cards for a number of states, since this is the company providing them:

quote:

Update on the MyIR Mobile QR Code

As many of you are aware, STChealth developed an accurate, well-formed, VCI standard SMART Health Card within MyIR Mobile on behalf of the states we represent. Despite this, and being listed as an issuer on their website, The CommonTrust Network is still not recognizing MyIR as a valid issuer. We are continuing to work with the CommonTrust Network to resolve this discrepancy as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, until we are re-established, we will have to deactivate QR Code functionality as a feature in MyIR Mobile. Through MyIR Mobile, users can still access a copy of their FULL official vaccination records, including proof of COVID-19 vaccines. In some states, an official COVID-19 certificate and/or school certificate will also be available through MyIR Mobile. In order to utilize these certificates, MyIR Mobile users will need to show them as either digital PDFs or printed documents to prove immunization status. At this time, immunization records through MyIR Mobile cannot be translated into a valid QR code to be read by a SMART health verifier.

Originally inexplicably posted as a pdf:
https://myirmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Myir_Mobile_QR_UPdate.pdf

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

maybe they're more durable? I've been through five individual pods and I'm probably going to get a sixth before my applecare expires next week, because my left one has started clicking and popping AGAIN

apparently the newer revisions should have fixed this; anecdotally this seems the case as after like 3 replacements that issue finally stopped occurring after like december last year.

one thing a lot of people don't talk about is how the noise cancellation palpably declines after a few months of use; this is probably the case with most noise cancelling headphones but I would bet that the amount of wearing these out and about versus sitting at a desk/on a plane accentuates whatever wear and tear causes it. cleaning them doesn't really help.

i'll probably get the standard ones once these need replacing, although mercifully the sheer amount of replacements means the batteries in them are still pretty new. i have a second hand pair of sony XM3s for noise cancelling anyway, and they're way more comfortable.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 27, 2021

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

one thing a lot of people don't talk about is how the noise cancellation palpably declines after a few months of use; this is probably the case with most noise cancelling headphones

What? Like, how would that even work?

Noise cancellation works by adding a signal to the audio signal. It doesn’t wear out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My AirPod pros have silenced my lawn mower for two summers now and noise cancellation feels exactly the same as when they were new.

So if there is degradation it's super small.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

What? Like, how would that even work?

Noise cancellation works by adding a signal to the audio signal. It doesn’t wear out.

i swear to you this is true and not a placebo. one of the times i went in to get them replaced they only replaced the faulty one, and you could hear the difference clear as day

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/17/21069953/apple-airpods-pro-noise-cancellation-problems-firmware-2b588-2c54

quote:

This phenomenon — the perception that a software update has “ruined” noise cancellation — has also been reported by owners of Bose and Sony headphones. Bose has faced a months-long controversy over its QuietComfort 35 II headphones, with some customers insisting that an update drastically worsened the level of noise cancellation from the cans compared to their original out-of-the-box performance. There are a lot of people who say they’ve experienced this issue, and it’s escalated to the point where Bose is now visiting customers at home to get a handle on whatever’s going on. Sony also dealt with similar complaints about its 1000XM3 headphones.

the 'software update' angle of this article is a placebo I think; these people are probably just experiencing that slow decline in effectiveness. my guess is the tiny microphone holes (that are used for the noise cancellation) get progressively more gunked up with stuff that you can't dislodge. i have weird ears anyway and it's not like I baby them so not too fussed

reliability issues aside they're a great product and i'm really happy with them; just something i've noticed

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 27, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I like the airpod pros for the simple fact that my freak ears produce excess wax so I had to constantly clean my old AirPods. Now, I just have to clean the tips and I never have to worry about anything being in the airpod itself.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hi friends. This may be a really stupid question but I cannot find where to turn this notification off:

Someone please help?

E: the reason I posted this is because I knew I would immediately find it after. My eyes just didn’t see Watch in the notification menu for some reason.

Thanks anyway :)

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 27, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I like the airpod pros for the simple fact that my freak ears produce excess wax so I had to constantly clean my old AirPods. Now, I just have to clean the tips and I never have to worry about anything being in the airpod itself.

The tips having screens in the back of the holes is seriously underrated.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

boop the snoot posted:

Hi friends. This may be a really stupid question but I cannot find where to turn this notification off:

Someone please help?

E: the reason I posted this is because I knew I would immediately find it after. My eyes just didn’t see Watch in the notification menu for some reason.

Sorry to disappoint but afaik the Watch thing in notification is just for notifications from the Watch app like alerting you there's software updates. I don't think you can turn that off since it's a 'security' thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Siri started telling me I have to unlock my iPhone when I ask for things through my AirPods. Everything is on in the “allow when locked” menu.

It’s lame as hell because I keep my phone in my bag when I’m walking places, I’ll get a text, have her read it to me then tell me no when I try to respond. Sometimes it’ll even happen halfway into a conversation and just shut me out while my hands are full.

Is this a bug or something I can fix?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does having your camera set to burst mode degrade it faster?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does having your camera set to burst mode degrade it faster?
Degrade what exactly? Capturing images involves no moving parts* so as far as the phone itself goes, no not really. Degrading image quality, yeah maybe. Possibly more-so if you have “prioritize faster shooting” turned on (but I don’t really know what exactly that does ).

* unless you’re re-focusing but that’s probably not happening much if at all in burst

fourwood fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 27, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not if you put a piece of tape over the lenses so the sensor can get some rest. Recovery is important.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

fourwood posted:

Degrade what exactly? Capturing images involves no moving parts so as far as the phone itself goes, no not really. Degrading image quality, yeah maybe. Possibly more-so if you have “prioritize faster shooting” turned on (but I don’t really know what exactly that does ).

The former, the hardware.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

The former, the hardware.
Yeah then I really wouldn’t worry about it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Someone please help?

Turn off the auto-unlock functionality?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

apparently the newer revisions should have fixed this; anecdotally this seems the case as after like 3 replacements that issue finally stopped occurring after like december last year.

one thing a lot of people don't talk about is how the noise cancellation palpably declines after a few months of use; this is probably the case with most noise cancelling headphones but I would bet that the amount of wearing these out and about versus sitting at a desk/on a plane accentuates whatever wear and tear causes it. cleaning them doesn't really help.

i'll probably get the standard ones once these need replacing, although mercifully the sheer amount of replacements means the batteries in them are still pretty new. i have a second hand pair of sony XM3s for noise cancelling anyway, and they're way more comfortable.

my busted airpod pro is a post-revision version :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
IYG has no moderator right now so I can finally say what I've wanted to say for years:

APPLE RULEZ ANROID DROOLZ.