Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
https://www.microcenter.com/product/641915/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-32ghz-sixteen-core-lga-1700-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included no online pre-orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buy whatever toy you want to buy. It’s generally not the greatest to buy in on the very first launch of a new memory standard though. I spent like $250 to get 16gb of 2400mhz ddr4 at the Skylake launch, lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god they're showing off Alder Lake on an Alienware Aurora :allears:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just dumping liquid nitrogen all over the place

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Just dumping liquid nitrogen all over the place

This is great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this is a lot better than "you can literally see it!" and "back to you Steve"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
love to use my 2-in-1 laptop with the keyboard key-side on a table

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I swear they dusted off some drone from BKs old stash, mounted a new camera on it, and had some intern fly it around to stream this whole thing

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So UK pricing has a 5900X more or less bang on halfway between the i7-12700 and i9-12900 lines.

I've be thinking about switching from a 1700 to a 5900X so I won't complain if the prize drops in response. I don't think I'd switch to 12th Gen Intel for a mix of platform costs and zero desire to switch to W11 at this point (and it sounds like W11 is needed for optimum big/little scheduling).

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 27, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

"We are going to break the overclocking LIVE"
"Uh, ok we are having a problem so let's come back in a bit"
"So we had a problem but don't worry we already broke the record off camera before don't worry we'll post the results"

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1453403632347586565

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Nice lack of PPE.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LRADIKAL posted:

Nice lack of PPE.

you can pour liquid nitrogen on your bare hand and be totally fine. its a fav trick of extreme OC folks to do on livestreams.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
if you really wanted to be worried about LN2, you should be most worried about getting it in your shoe. Transient contact is.... fine, but it's when that poo poo pools that you get the injuries.

Back on topic: Did Intel have nothing to say about Alder Lake-M?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 27, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm less worried for their safety than just the weird lack of it for image/liability issues.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Presentation already over? I miss anything good?

Looking at Linus Tech Tips latest video, they're thinking that Intel benchmarked against AMD while AMD was having the WIN11 performance issues?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 27, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hughmoris posted:

Presentation already over? I miss anything good?

Looking at Linus Tech Tips latest video, they're thinking that Intel benchmarked against AMD while AMD was having the WIN11 performance issues?

You missed some very awkward, non-stage type people (aka regular humans) try to do a presentation and went about as could be expected. Whenever AMD/Intel/Nvidia do a presentation, you realize how much effort Apple must put in. Pretty much all of the content was "leaked" already.

Completely ignore any benchmarks that any of the companies provide. The CPUs are in peoples hands so were gonna see a ton of leaks, and then real reviews on 11/4.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BurritoJustice posted:

The top 96eu model which is in Tigerlake sees a healthy performance boost with LPDDR4X-4266 over DDR4-3200 so I imagine it'll be even better once they throw some DDR5-4800 or LPDDR5-6400 at it.

Yeah, I was just hoping they'd take the opportunity from going to like 4800 Gbps minimum to make a monster igpu so I can finally live out my gaming on an ultra portable dream. Ah well, there's always next gen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VorpalFish posted:

Yeah, I was just hoping they'd take the opportunity from going to like 4800 Gbps minimum to make a monster igpu so I can finally live out my gaming on an ultra portable dream. Ah well, there's always next gen.

https://youtu.be/Gz8Aj-6nb08

:getin:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

125w even on the midrange parts lol

I try to understand the AnAndTech article as well but holy hell 125 watts is going to double as a space heater.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I try to understand the AnAndTech article as well but holy hell 125 watts is going to double as a space heater.
wait until you hear about GPUs my man

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

I know GPUs are hot too but I don't need anymore heat!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

The most common GPU according to the steam surveys is actually about that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I bet you can undervolt/underclock and get crazy power efficiency. Most modern CPUs are like this because people just don't care about power consumption but do care about X% faster or BIG CLOCK NUMBER. 5950x draws 100w-125w depending on auto oc settings but if you are running it 24/7 for compute you're better off undervolting/underclocking and taking a ~15% performance hit to draw <=60w at full load.

e: it's super hard to find actual undervolting/underclocking perf/watt benchmarks. Most people are just doing the other undervolt to oc thing. I was going to post a graph but I can't find any.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 27, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

The most common GPU according to the steam surveys is actually about that.

Fair enough, but thats also a 5.5 year old part. :v: Lowest power draw in the 30 series is 170w at the moment, but i guess we alo never actually got the full 30 series including the low end because well... you know...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Khorne posted:

I bet you can undervolt/underclock and get crazy power efficiency. Most modern CPUs are like this because people just don't care about power consumption but do care about X% faster or BIG CLOCK NUMBER. 5950x draws 100w-125w depending on auto oc settings but if you are running it 24/7 for compute you're better off undervolting/underclocking and taking a ~15% performance hit to draw <=60w at full load.

e: it's super hard to find actual undervolting/underclocking perf/watt benchmarks. Most people are just doing the other undervolt to oc thing. I was going to post a graph but I can't find any.

Is it possible to also do this on the GPU as well? I'd take a 15% performance hit if it works out -

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't understand where this incredulity is coming from - 125w has been Intel's tdp rating on every k series sku for the last like 5 years. There will be 65w rated non k skus almost certainly.

125w is also lower than every Ryzen chip out of the box except the 5600x (141w), and should be easily handled by a budget tower cooler in a case with decent airflow.

The real insane power draw comes when the motherboard is set to ignore power limits, either intentionally or as a manufacturer default.

Those short duration limits look nuts though. Hopefully someone reviews them with Intel spec power limits applied and a cooler that isn't a huge aio to see how that plays in the real world.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Cygni posted:

ROG boards have "leaked":

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-maximus-z690-extreme-formula-apex-hero-and-other-alder-lake-s-motherboards-pictured

i love that Asus ITX boards keep sprouting more and more daughter boards. So in addition to the three PCB audio/M2 sandwich stack, we've also sprouted what looks to be a SATA breakout board.

$440 preorder

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

I don't understand where this incredulity is coming from - 125w has been Intel's tdp rating on every k series sku for the last like 5 years. There will be 65w rated non k skus almost certainly.

125w is also lower than every Ryzen chip out of the box except the 5600x (141w), and should be easily handled by a budget tower cooler in a case with decent airflow.

5800x, 5900x, 5950x are all 105W.

You can certainly pump more than that in but that’s the limit out of the box.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel, like AMD, is doing the sliding memory spec thing now.

DDR5-3600 at CL40 might be pretty brutal compared to DDR4. There arent many dual rank dimms announced yet, but Crucial does have some 32gb dual rank sticks on newegg. Hope someone gets em to test how bad the controller chokes in reality. Both AMD and Intel are generally pretty conservative with the supported spec, but we shall see.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

hobbesmaster posted:

5800x, 5900x, 5950x are all 105W.

You can certainly pump more than that in but that’s the limit out of the box.

AMDs tdp ratings aren't strict power limits like Intel's which is why you can't directly compare. The equivalent value for AMD would be the PPT, which is 142w for the 105w tdp chips and 88w for the 65w chips.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

AMDs tdp ratings aren't strict power limits like Intel's which is why you can't directly compare. The equivalent value for AMD would be the PPT, which is 142w for the 105w tdp chips and 88w for the 65w chips.

As a 5600X owner, I'm reasonably sure the stock PPT for it is somewhere in the mid to upper 70s. You can increase it with the press of a button in Ryzen Master. You get like 98% of all the performance you're going to get out of the chip by the time you hit 90w though. (And 90% of the performance at 75w)

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As a 5600X owner, I'm reasonably sure the stock PPT for it is somewhere in the mid to upper 70s. You can increase it with the press of a button in Ryzen Master. You get like 98% of all the performance you're going to get out of the chip by the time you hit 90w though. (And 90% of the performance at 75w)

PPT is 88 watts stock for the 5600x

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-zen-3-review/3

What you're observing is the 5600X doesn't actually need the full power limit to hit its stock all core max turbo frequency in most workloads.

That's not the case with the other chips; my 5800x will happily pull 142w in cinebench all day long stock if I let it (I manually dropped PPT to 105w for noise/sff reasons).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
5700G is a little different because it’s monolithic, and this could vary across tasks (perhaps being a compute heavy task saturates the cores earlier) but the difference between 60W and 82W is like 7% or something and almost all of that is between 60W and 70W, going from 70W to 82w is like a 1% difference.

IF adds a power floor and I’m definitely sure it curves upwards at a lower wattage than the enthusiast chips but the curve definitely gets steep at the top, you burn a ton of extra power for very little gain.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

PPT is 88 watts stock for the 5600x

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-zen-3-review/3

What you're observing is the 5600X doesn't actually need the full power limit to hit its stock all core max turbo frequency in most workloads.

That's not the case with the other chips; my 5800x will happily pull 142w in cinebench all day long stock if I let it (I manually dropped PPT to 105w for noise/sff reasons).

No, that's not what I'm observing. Hammering the 5600X with Prime95 causes it to boost well under the max clock of 4600mhz across all cores. The default PPT as per Ryzen Master is 76 watts.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, that's not what I'm observing. Hammering the 5600X with Prime95 causes it to boost well under the max clock of 4600mhz across all cores. The default PPT as per Ryzen Master is 76 watts.

Welp, can't argue with that - I'm wrong on the 5600X. Definitely not on the 5800X though, here's ryzen master if I disable PBO and run cinebench:

edit: ok timg hates me and doesn't work, pew pew pew.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 28, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's ETA for the non-Ks? I'm a cheapest i5 SKU kind of guy who is very ready for an upgrade. On DDR4 of course.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 12400 wasn't even mentioned by Intel today. They'll probably stealth drop it on some random day without giving it to press first like they did with the 11400.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

What's ETA for the non-Ks? I'm a cheapest i5 SKU kind of guy who is very ready for an upgrade. On DDR4 of course.

Non K isn't going to be until next year

Also I feel like its gonna succ because the i5-12400 is only going to have 6 P cores and no e cores

Like I'm sure there's gonna be a performance uplift if you throw a gaming benchmark at it compared to a 10400 or whatever but the whole point of Alder Lake is the wombo-combo of cores!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Non K isn't going to be until next year

Also I feel like its gonna succ because the i5-12400 is only going to have 6 P cores and no e cores

Like I'm sure there's gonna be a performance uplift if you throw a gaming benchmark at it compared to a 10400 or whatever but the whole point of Alder Lake is the wombo-combo of cores!

I mean it's perfect if you were already looking at an 11400 or 5600X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You're still getting an IPC uplift, so yeah, I'd expect something akin to 5600X performance but for $200 or less.