Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As someone who never even heard of Tim Rogers before this thread started hyping him up I'm rather amused by the bemused reaction now that the videos are finally out.

It's pretty much a parallel for Cyberpunk's own marketing hype and hosed up launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Tim Rodgers has been well known for publishing massive stream of consciousness essays about videogames and the cultivation of his annoying personality for over 15+ years across many of the biggest names in "games journalism". I doubt he's going to start editing himself now that the "critical essay" industry has become more like his content than ever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Doom video was amazing but I didn't like his other videos as kuch. :shrug:

Edit: I'm gonna take like a week to watch the cyberpunk video and love it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Like its fair to say his style is one that not everyone can like or even stomach.
But no need to bring in a name as loathsome as YIIK. Thats just a low brow comparison.
(At the very least Tim now seems to get why some people dislike his style)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't really think its possible to have a youtube video essay longer than 3 hours that is worth watching. (Since people are pedantic, there might be like one or two examples)

I'm gunna be that person and list the 3+ hour video essay that I enjoy.

I really liked Twin Peaks ACTUALLY EXPLAINED (No, Really)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

That being said, the 80 minute addendum that he put out after as "more evidence" actually makes the original video weaker, so ehhh....

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Police_monitoring posted:

Anybody remember that old Tim Rodgers essay where he complained Japanese women wouldn't hit on him when he lived in Japan because they were intimidated by how cool he dressed?

Here we go: https://kotaku.com/japan-its-not-funny-anymore-5484581

I guess he got it in the atlantic as well https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2010/03/16-000-words-on-why-japan-sucks/341236/

I was curious about that statement so I just read through that entire article you linked, and uh, couldn't find him ever saying anything remotely close to that? I even did a few Ctrl+Fs afterward trying to find it. Did I miss a paragraph, or did you just pull that out of nowhere?

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah I thought it was in there but it's not. It's not in his even longer follow up article about japan, or his article about fashion (https://kotaku.com/i-got-my-fashion-sense-from-video-games-and-you-can-t-5843886 very funny) either however I know it exists because I remember it being super funny in like 2011! Possible it's on ActionButton.

I'm not exactly trying to smear Tim I just think his whole shtick is very goofy and and shockingly consistent in tone and topic and massive textual volume.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't really think its possible to have a youtube video essay longer than 3 hours that is worth watching. (Since people are pedantic, there might be like one or two examples)

my max is 4 hours and thats if its a friday where i am not doing poo poo with a friend, family. gf or goons. i like long winded stuff you can doze off to. like tehsnaker and such.

DeafNote posted:

Like its fair to say his style is one that not everyone can like or even stomach.
But no need to bring in a name as loathsome as YIIK. Thats just a low brow comparison.
(At the very least Tim now seems to get why some people dislike his style)

i mean yeah its mean but its what it sorta reminded me of. not the main character but the whole post modern take 10 pages of text to say hello and every joke is either over explained or shaggy dog to the point that its all detrimental. its all quirk and UWU with no substance with the exception of "well maybe its all a joke and the mistakes are on purpose uwu" poo poo.

again. i dont think he is some evil gently caress or bad dude. i just think he isnt funny and he is overly pretentious and he thinks being postmodern and quirky= a personality or at least an online persona.

also with his cadence he sounds like words are being torn out of his mouth kicking and screaming. add some effects and he sounds like a Taken from alan wake.

https://youtu.be/Edk6-Is5_cM?t=554

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 27, 2021

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Check this out if you want the real-deal 2010 Tim experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_3pxMQVr0

It's got all the classics: dressing whacky for fun, endlessly philosophizing about nerd ephemera, and relentless leering at women.

Edit: Actually forgot how much leering (and pawing) at women is in this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Check this out if you want the real-deal 2010 Tim experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_3pxMQVr0

It's got all the classics: dressing whacky for fun, endlessly philosophizing about nerd ephemera, and relentless leering at women.

Edit: Actually forgot how much leering (and pawing) at women is in this.

idk. i guess i just dont get it. it just feels like weird outsider art of being a critic i guess. idk

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this thread has been bad before but today you're breaking new records in terms of raw loser energy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah I thought it was in there but it's not. It's not in his even longer follow up article about japan, or his article about fashion (https://kotaku.com/i-got-my-fashion-sense-from-video-games-and-you-can-t-5843886 very funny) either however I know it exists because I remember it being super funny in like 2011! Possible it's on ActionButton.

I'm not exactly trying to smear Tim I just think his whole shtick is very goofy and and shockingly consistent in tone and topic and massive textual volume.
Given that it was a decade ago it's also entirely possible that you're conflating him with someone else.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i followed the recommended method for watching the video and enjoyed it

also i think if you're considering the act of watching a multiple hours long video about cyberpunk 2077 you already don't respect your own time and it's not tim rogers' job to do that for you lol

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Watched the fist 20 minutes of this Cyberpunk review and good god I could not dislike this more violently. The thought of watching this for another 9.5 hours is like nails on a chalkboard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

As someone who never even heard of Tim Rogers before this thread started hyping him up I'm rather amused by the bemused reaction now that the videos are finally out.

It's pretty much a parallel for Cyberpunk's own marketing hype and hosed up launch.

it’s just the same people expressing the same opinions on Tim that they’ve always had?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've always liked the way this Tim video opens up. Gets a chuckle out of me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8eQ1PJZi8

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Good lord Tim Rodgers!:stare: he could probably hack CIA with a rig like that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t get Tim Rogers but I adored his doom review and for whether reason after that he just clicked with me, now I eat his stuff up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Watching him list the announcements through hotfix patches in sequence like it's useful, meaningful, or helpful was just peak "I do not respect your time" to me.

it's funny though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you don’t respect your own time either, you post in the internet critics thread. you’re not fooling anyone!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tim Rodgers owns, his power is only growing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again. i dont think he is some evil gently caress or bad dude. i just think he isnt funny and he is overly pretentious and he thinks being postmodern and quirky= a personality or at least an online persona.

I think he’s only going to work for you if you find that exact kind of pretentious attitude and loquaciousness inherently funny. I do, so it turns out he’s right up my alley.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Gnome de plume posted:

it's funny though

Pigbuster posted:

I think he’s only going to work for you if you find that exact kind of pretentious attitude and loquaciousness inherently funny. I do, so it turns out he’s right up my alley.

I think these two replies have the brunt of it. It's not funny to me, and I think its something about his approach/attitude that I fundamentally bounce off. It's certainly working out well for him though, so he doesn't need me to like him.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nothing wrong with that

Gnome de plume posted:

it's funny though

I will admit, I came close to skipping ahead on that one. But he did end it right before I could do so, which made me laugh.

(I also appreciate that he at least promised to never make such a big project again)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Anybody remember that old Tim Rodgers essay where he complained Japanese women wouldn't hit on him when he lived in Japan because they were intimidated by how cool he dressed?

Here we go: https://kotaku.com/japan-its-not-funny-anymore-5484581

I guess he got it in the atlantic as well https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2010/03/16-000-words-on-why-japan-sucks/341236/

this poo poo is loving weird. 2010 as hell writing but the content is also like....the random peppering of videogame jargon and references to justify this livejournal post getting published on a video game website accidentally (i would hope) smothers the discussion about women in japan with really off-putting childishness

fun hater
May 24, 2009

re: long videos - i wound up watching all of joseph anderson's dark souls/bloodborne critique videos and found myself extremely captivated with them. i dont think his other videos, which are mostly about games which i haven't played, would have the same effect on me as the ones about games im obsessed with. the man has, and i cannot understate this to people who have never played the games, the most whacked out, batshit, cuckoo bananas dark souls opinions i have ever heard in my entire life. the way he plays the game is so antithetical to how i view one is supposed to play it that his perspective winds up being unique and interesting. i loved it, i loved being able to get fake mad every time he said anor londo was bad

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/1453451829484924931?s=21

WeedLordGoku's reign of terror continues elsewhere :magical:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

voidburger on giantbomb is perfect. they need some energy in that studio now that the kids left

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

I feel kind of bad. My friend who recommended the videos really likes him but goddamn Tim does not want to help me watch these videos. Watching him list the announcements through hotfix patches in sequence like it's useful, meaningful, or helpful was just peak "I do not respect your time" to me.

If you get through that bit without cracking up multiple times you are not the sort of person who will get anything useful from Tim Rogers's videos.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And then it was patched again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_kga0BFi_M

That 1917 lady did a Cowboy Bebop video.

This was real good by the way. She gets kinda hung up on some weird stuff (multiple times circling around to acting like Jet being a douchebag about women isn't part of the whole 'grumpy old man who gets told to gently caress off by Faye constantly' thing is what stood out to me most) but overall really good dive into the topic. I really liked her hitting on how the treatment of trans/nb type characters was actually really progressive especially for the time in some ways while being rather dated in others obviously (mainly focused on the fact that the person in Jupiter Jazz is treated incredibly tastefully for 90% of it and is nothing but a noble and sympathetic character, contrasted with how often even in more modern projects he'll use 'lol she look like man' as a cheap punchline). I did kinda dislike her chalking up Watanabe's use of Desmond in Carole & Tuesday as a 'bury your gays' thing because their end moment was easily one of the most genuine and emotional of the big 'everyone's back to cheer the heroes on' moments and a really good capstone to their arc but I get this was a mostly Cowboy Bebop video and she just wanted to touch on how Watanabe used a nonbinary character in his most modern work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fun hater posted:

re: long videos - i wound up watching all of joseph anderson's dark souls/bloodborne critique videos and found myself extremely captivated with them. i dont think his other videos, which are mostly about games which i haven't played, would have the same effect on me as the ones about games im obsessed with. the man has, and i cannot understate this to people who have never played the games, the most whacked out, batshit, cuckoo bananas dark souls opinions i have ever heard in my entire life. the way he plays the game is so antithetical to how i view one is supposed to play it that his perspective winds up being unique and interesting. i loved it, i loved being able to get fake mad every time he said anor londo was bad

I think it was his mario odyssey video that made me realize how insane his way of looking at video games is, when he freaked out about the moon you get from sitting next to a guy on a bench and how it forced him to go through the entire game meticulously sitting on every single bench just in case it gave him a moon

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

And then it was patched again

That and him listing each Shadowrun game he played by saying "Shadowrun, for the X" got me. But uh... that was it. There's some good jokes in some places but I think it's all just too much for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

His Minit review was good. Couldn't watch the Odyssey one because he says Mario wrong.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Grondoth posted:

That and him listing each Shadowrun game he played by saying "Shadowrun, for the X" got me. But uh... that was it. There's some good jokes in some places but I think it's all just too much for me.

What weirded me out was the lack of Shadowrun: Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong in the videos I watched.

I'm not going to watch the others to find out if he mentions them there, but contrasting 2077 with those games would be quite interesting.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The slowbeef mario-curse spreads

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

his video about all of the glitches he encountered playing Fallout 76 on release is good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/1453490458152292355?s=21

this is the energy and optimism of someone who has not yet experienced 50-turn Mario Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

that makes sense. i just find it graiting because i have known people like that in person and they were all massive shallow dicks. again i dont think he is a bad dude.
like cool, i am glad tim probably had similar opinions to me about cyberpunk but i prefered noahs gervaise video which while i disagreed with, i understood his point

fun hater posted:

i like his witcher stuff because its nice relaxing listen that talks jumps between points while keeping a good pace. i dont mind weird long videos. i just like when they have a point and the point isnt some postmodern pretentious bullshit.