Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Motherfucker read the post, his friend wanted to shell out for his own expensive steak. He's upset about being denied the opportunity to try something unique that his friend knew of but kept tight lipped about.

quote:

and he said if i told him i was going to pick the Kobe that he'd also want that and pay the difference back

Oh look at that, you’re wrong

gently caress yourself and gently caress the guy who got all pissy that his friend didn’t buy him a $150 steak, even if he would then pay the OP some pittance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
"Hey would it be cool if you paid the 60 and I made up the difference? I really want to try Kobe beef at least once in my life."

E- wait the friend didn't care until OP got a nicer steak? Like, them eating different levels of steak is the problem? Not missing out on a rare shared opportunity? lol

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

"Hey would it be cool if you paid the 60 and I made up the difference? I really want to try Kobe beef at least once in my life."

Even this would be better, but just getting sulky afterwards is bullshit

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Why couldn't he ask to try a bite?

Friend is a total loser all around, dump him

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I heard that friend wanted to put A1 on his Kobe steak.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
KOBE beef, well done, with ketchup and mayo please!

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The guy's not obligated to buy his friend the steak but it's a little rude to set a price for your friend and then order yourself something that costs more than double. If I said I'd buy a friend a beer and I came back with a bottle of champagne for me that could definitely come off as a weird power play.

If you agree a budget of $60 then you both order in the $60 range. If you really want to try the $140 steak you say "hey, they do Kobe beef here, I hear it's incredible, how about we try it and you get the next two?"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Seems kind of weird that they went to a restaurant that specifically offered kobe beef and not once did either of them discuss getting it beforehand. Also agree that it's dick to set a price point on what your friend can get then double/triple it for yourself. But of course communication is verboten.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like just teaching people to express themselves would avoid like 90% of this thread. So I guess it's better we get the content!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You know, I got some diagnosed anxiety but if I'm close enough with someone to be on a trip to a foreign country with them, it would definitely strike me to apologetically ask if I could order the expensive thing and comp them later.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

kalel posted:

are you referring to TurboTax lobbying against free federal tax returns? Or is there some other heinous poo poo they did? e: never mind, reading comprehension.

I like mint a lot though :kiddo:

don't you feel weird giving what's his face, not dane cook, the other one uhhhhhh Ryan Reynolds! don't you feel weird giving Ryan Reynolds money every month?

What do u get out of mint?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also you can find real Kobe in Manhattan. Both of those guys sound like jerkoffs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Let me just run on down to Manhattan!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rotinaj posted:

Oh look at that, you’re wrong

gently caress yourself and gently caress the guy who got all pissy that his friend didn’t buy him a $150 steak, even if he would then pay the OP some pittance

...are you reading what you're quoting? at all?

" and he said if i told him i was going to pick the Kobe that he'd also want that and pay the difference back "

Like, go through that slowly and mouth the words out loud. Friend said he wanted to pay the difference and have the more expensive steak, friend was not asking OP to cover the Kobe gratis.

Paaaay the diiiifference baaaaaack

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Serephina posted:

" and he said if i told him i was going to pick the Kobe that he'd also want that and pay the difference back "

Like, go through that slowly and mouth the words out loud. Friend said he wanted to pay the difference and have the more expensive steak, friend was not asking OP to cover the Kobe gratis.

He said that after they had eaten the meal. It was a post-meal argument. He didn't tell him that beforehand.

The complete doofus sat through the entire meal without saying anything to the OP and only afterwards was like "you shamed me!" He didn't even ask for a bite!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I [29M] am having difficulty playing boyfriend of instagram for my GF [30F].

quote:

Together for 15 months. Her father did a fantastic job of recording/photographing her life ever since she was born (there are multiple bookcases of photo albums at her parent's place). Maybe too fantastic. Her need for me to catalogue her life is slowly draining my soul.

I understand and enjoy taking pictures just as much as anyone else when it comes to dates, vacations, and even food. But when I have to take > 400 photos (yes, you read that # right) on our date to the sand dunes or > 100 photos of our fine dining experience last night with another couple, is it really so hard to believe that I would get tired, start to not enjoy the experience, and eventually become visibly upset?

I try my best to humor her, since I know she enjoys getting photographed (different distances, poses, lighting, gopro/camera/phone, props). And after our 2nd to last fight about this, I told her I would try to improve my attitude (not fake smile, smile only with teeth, don't become solemn and sulk). But when I have to enjoy salvation mountain through the lense of her gopro as I follow her around filming/photographing, or when I have to stop every minute during a hike to photograph her, it becomes difficult.

When we discuss the issue, she sums it up as these are once in a lifetime experiences and I should suck it up. And she wonders why we've been cooking more and I've been taking her on less dates... To help cope, I've thought of taking caffeine, adderall, weed, mdma, or just running onto oncoming traffic; anyone have any healthier alternatives?

side annoyance #1: she scolds me for taking bad pictures. I've read some photography tips on how to improve and tried implementing them, but then she scolds me for taking too long to take the pictures...

side annoyance #2: she's afraid of losing pics (her cousin dropped her previous hard drive), so she rarely deletes them from her phone, which leads to the frequent popup "not enough storage space". Her solution is to use my phone, and now my phone has "not enough storage space."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kenshin posted:

He said that after they had eaten the meal. It was a post-meal argument. He didn't tell him that beforehand.

The complete doofus sat through the entire meal without saying anything to the OP and only afterwards was like "you shamed me!" He didn't even ask for a bite!

Oh yea, friend is totally doof for stewing, much like how OP is a goof for not mentioning what was going on. Classic young 20's communication stuff, much ado about little.

My derail with this other poster is about them having skimmed the post and misconstrued an important point, kinda like people who miss the huge blaring M/F labels.

edit:

Zurtilik posted:

Oh gawd. Oh lawd almighty.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 27, 2021

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Buddy you're the side piece to a cell phone. Break up with her somewhere she can get some nice tasteful shots of her newly single self and move on.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHotXbGZiFY

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Zurtilik posted:

begin charging standard rate for a photographer in your area

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

I’d love to know what world you live in where the person paying a hundred fifty dollars for a steak doesn’t have to plunk down a hundred fifty dollars right then and there to pay for it

“Oh no mister waiter, I only need to give you ninety dollars, my friend is gonna give me sixty later, he can just give that to you then”

Like, someone getting all mad that their friend didn’t overstretch their own finances to cover their indulgence, despite later claims of repayment that may or may not ever happen, is being unreasonable

Maybe you didn’t grow up poor, but I did, and someone expecting me to just shell out for them on that level is absolutely being an rear end in a top hat, and like I said originally, gently caress them, but also gently caress you for going out of your way to interpret my statement as wrongheadedly as you possibly can

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

WIBTA for being a plague doctor at Halloween

quote:

My boyfriend and I always dress up together at Halloween. Every year, we switch the person that chooses the theme of the costumes.

This year is my boyfriend's turn, and he never really had Halloween when he was younger : never had super spooky Halloween decorations in his house, neither for Christmas for that matter. I feel like he kinda missed a lot.

He chose plague doctors this year, and even though I believe it is a little innapropriate since many people died due to Covid, including people close to us, we thought it was ok since the Halloween store was selling it. He wanted to dress up as that for as long as I can remember. He just never had the money to buy the costume. I've talked about my boyfriend choice to some people, and they all told me it was super innapropriate and that I should be ashamed.

I see the shame, but we will only be dressed up during a private party with my boyfriend's friends, and to give out some candies to the neighbors we know very well. I don't want to upset anyone, at all, but I was wondering how much of an rear end in a top hat I'd be to support my boyfriend in his first real halloween with the costume he chose.

Thank you all for reading!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

the people who said you should be ashamed just get off on browbeating people, nothing to concern yourself over

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Soylent Pudding posted:

Honestly, the only problem with the outfit is you'll probably run into atleast a couple other people who had the exact same idea

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Glumslinger posted:

Honestly, the only problem with the outfit is you'll probably run into atleast a couple other people who had the exact same idea

Then you make a video of everyone doing the Chicken Dance and go viral.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've always wanted to go as a plague doc too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Glumslinger posted:

I saw at least a half dozen plague doctors the other weekend at the ren fair. I would have worn mine but I unfortunately can't wear contacts for long periods of time and my glasses don't fit under the mask.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
(rushing into thread out of breath)

Folks, this Japan story is a real beef beef.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

This is hell. This is literally my conception of hell

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

spouse posted:

Why does Dan Savage suck? This is not a challenge or a gotcha, I have been largely unaware of him since he coined 'Santorum' to describe post-coital anal discharge, which was like... 2007?

Edit: my guess before I Google it is that he's got some weird antitrans poo poo, because it's always that.

I will preface this all with allegedly, and it's not reddit, but Dan Savage's relationship story: Savage is somehow a respected and influential person in Seattle, especially with the old money folk (the Nordstroms). So queue up a day at the Symphony offices where Savage shows up with his husband, they're flirtin and kissin in this office they don't work, and savage DEMANDS his husband be given a job - job granted.

His hubbie proceeds to never do any work, but rather flirt with other guys at the office, has an affair (or relationship) with someone who worked nearby, then starting threatening the employees to make sure they wouldn't tell Dan.

Sadly there's no payoff to this story, he eventually quits, they're still together, Savage still is able to get private concertos for parties and the like.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
WIBTA for reporting a conflict between me and my friend to her work

quote:

I currently live together with my boyfriend (Michael) of 5 years. For the last 1 1/2 months we also hosted a good friend of my mine (Caroline) who moved due to a new job but had some problems with the rental agreement. Caroline does know my boyfriend although not very well, as we only spend a handful of outings as a group.

Now during the first few weeks everything was pretty okay in our home. Caroline took care of a chunk of housework, my bf and I worked and in the evening we would hangout together. Caroline and my bf had very little one-on-one interaction, it was pretty much always the three of us.

However, Caroline started to approach me specifically during times Michael was not around and told me "in her professional opinion, she is concerned about how Michael treats me". For context, she is a social worker that works a lot with troubled family, spousal abuse and the like. I had no idea what she was refering to and when asking for examples, she only said "we will talk later".

Well that later was last week. My mother called me to come over for some coffee but specifically asked for Michael to not accompany me. I didn't think too much about that, since Mom does not approve of my relationship with Michael. Anyway, when I arrived it was my Mom, my Dad, a friend of Caroline and me and Caroline. And they setup and "interventation".

Caroline had told them that Michael is abusive, that I'm was unwilling to accept that and that it was necessary for them to help me get out of my relationship. She brought up some examples of that "abuse" and talked about how she sees these things all the time in her job. Her examples however, were factually wrong, grossly overstated and some just... plain stupid.

The whole thing spiraled out of control, Caroline and I got into a shouting match, with my Mom supporting her. Eventually my Dad stepped into and I left angrily. On my way home I texted Caroline that she has three days to get out of my house. No suprise, my Mom took her in the very next day...

When Caroline showed up to get her stuff, she again began to talk to me about how she knows what shes talking about, how I should listen to her opinion because she is a social worker and so on.

Honestly I pretty much just ignored her, however I was thinking if maybe I should at least give a short notice to her workplace. Because if she evaluates my living situation as an abusive household, based on completly nonsensical examples, while harkening on and on about her professionalism, I do wonder if she has also overreacted in her workplace.

Edit: I really should have posted some of the things she mentioned:

She for example thinks Michael is financial abusing me. The reason is he is currently back in school to get additional qualification for his job. This means he only has a small income from a minijob. However, he does have a somewhat expensive hobby. So I'm paying for about 70-80% of our fixed expenses at the moment. However, just a few years ago this situation was reversed: I was in uni, he worked full-time. At that time he payed the majority of our expenses.

She talked about him forcing me to workout, even though I pretty much always complain. I'm a lazy bum, a couch potato. I hate working out, or sports in general. BUT I specifically asked Michael to help me work out (he is a sports therapist). And his "forcing" usually means, pulling my blanket away or tickling me until I get up. It is 100% playful.

She talks about stealing, because Michael wears my clothes sometimes. Yeah no kidding we literally have put together all of our clothes since we are roughly the same size.

She thinks he is dumping house chores on me, despite not working full-time. I cook, we share doing the dishes, I iron the laundry (Michael sucks at that). Every other chore is done by him.

She thinks he is an alcoholic, because he drinks wine or beer sometimes at dinner, while I don't drink at all. One drink, maybe 2-3 times a week. We are in germany, ~80% of the population would be classified as alcoholic with that reasoning.

Edit2: To clarify the position of my family: My Dad does not think Michael is abusive, he was concernced of course when Caroline invited him to the interventation, but we talked and cleared things up.

My Mom does not like Michael simply because we are gay and she does not approve of my sexuality. She has never approved of any partner I had. Usually we try to just not talk about it, I try to not bring Michael around (unless for larger/important events).

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

What's the hobby you jackass?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Since they are in Germany its either Star Citizen or one of those simulator games they love so much.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Table top war games with Hummel figurines.

edit: Hummel 40,000

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dazerbeams posted:

Probably Warhammer 40k.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MarcusSA posted:

Since they are in Germany its either Star Citizen or one of those simulator games they love so much.

If it was SC they'd say "he's stuck in some kind of pyramid scheme involving spaceships." Hobbies involve you actually doing something.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

kntfkr posted:

I got banned from LinkedIn for shitposting intuit too much.

I really hate them and think their c-suite should be tried and executed. What they do is criminal.

You're doing God's work here and I need to know more.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Dazerbeams posted:

quote:

Fiddeling with electronics, Raspberry Pie/Arduino, building "toys" or gadgets and so on. We don't really have stores for stuff like that around here, so he often has to order things. Can be rather costly, but he does take work on a budget we agreed on.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There are a surprising number of porn stars on LinkedIn and they love to share "Monday Motivation" style poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

A Halloween costume that reminds people of death? Surely this has never been done before