Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I'm the only one who never hated this chapter. It's long and tedious, but Shura and Xander are tailor made for it and you have the deployment slots to use them and everyone else.

Your army is slow. I use more bow knights and Kaze. Your only units that can reliably double everything are Camilla and Peri, and Azura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
also I forgot to mention this before but I want you to know I greatly appreciated the Cask of Amontillado reference

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bogart posted:

the what

Welcome to every Niles support

midnight lasagna posted:

About time these two hit their S support. It's surprisingly difficult to build supports with Azura, despite all the dancing she does...

Fun facts for why:
1) dancing gives 2/6 of a point to dual attacks 1/2
2) the number of points you get is capped at 3 for the highest scoring partner a unit has, 2 for second place, 1 for 3rd and none for the rest

So basically Azura levels up supports slower to begin with and can often have her support growth shoved aside entirely by combat units. Staves have a similar issue.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FoolyCharged posted:

Fun facts for why:
2) the number of points you get is capped at 3 for the highest scoring partner a unit has, 2 for second place, 1 for 3rd and none for the rest

So basically Azura levels up supports slower to begin with and can often have her support growth shoved aside entirely by combat units. Staves have a similar issue.

I hate Conquest so much.

"Man it's going to be great fun to see all these cool support conversations between characters in my army!"

"No that's banned because it might be imbalanced."

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Conquest gives you an out for seeing support conversations with (online, albeit) My Castle battles - they don't give you any EXP but do still give support points.

Honestly I like that better than the Birthright/Revelations counterparts which do still give EXP :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As a quick note, both Shura and Saizo have dialogue for fighting Kotaro (Kotaro is the one that wiped out Shura's old clan). Only Saizo has victory dialogue against him though.

It's actually kinda disappointing that Kaze doesn't care about Kotaro at all.

The map isn't overly difficult for me, just long. Niles and Leo can tank, Camilla and Xander can check, and you can also stick Benny with a Javelin somewhere to choke a point.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Walla posted:

I think I'm the only one who never hated this chapter. It's long and tedious, but Shura and Xander are tailor made for it and you have the deployment slots to use them and everyone else.

Your army is slow. I use more bow knights and Kaze. Your only units that can reliably double everything are Camilla and Peri, and Azura.
Hmm, I guess they are a bit. With all the methods Fates gives to increase the speed of units I never really noticed... It shouldn't be a problem when I unlock the level 3 Mess Hall and can cook speed meals for everyone each map.

FoolyCharged posted:

Fun facts for why:

I straight up did not know about the support building cap. As far as I was aware, FE6 was the only one to cap support points... That kind of sucks. At least you can build supports with castle visits so long as you have either an internet connection or a second copy of the game?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Before I start the next chapter, everybody wish Xander a happy birthday! Happy birthday Xander.

Time to go to neutral territory. I'll bet we have a nice peaceful time there!

It's Izana! He's actually a recruit in both Birthright and Conquest, but he's a weird one that only joins if you build a fairly useless building in your castle and upgrade it twice. He might be the inheritor of a divine bloodline but he's not a particularly good unit... I'll probably grab him right before endgame just to show off his stats and then never use him. He is at least more useful in Conquest where he can provide rallies no Nohrian class can.

Time for killing our allies round 2. This feels both less and more stupid than last time - Zola did impersonate the ruler of neutral territory to capture the Hoshidan royals which is a lot worse than "took a hostage", but surely having the entire Hoshidan royal family as prisoners would put us in a great position to end the war with no more bloodshed? Zola's planning on killing them but surely Xander would be able to pull rank on him and convince him just to keep them as prisoners instead. Garon would most likely want them all killed before he sits on the throne, but that would be an issue regardless of how the war was won...

That's all the plot musing I'm allowing myself. I think after this chapter the dumbest of it is over, just in time for the gameplay to become brutally oppressive instead.

I think 14 slots will be the standard for deployment now, thank god. Poor Odin keeps getting into my screenshots as the one guy who doesn't get to come. They call him Odin Dark because his little unit icon never gets selected...

...when proofreading my commentary for this chapter I discovered I had used an absolutely absurd amount of ellipsis. I don't feel like editing them out... So you'll just have to read this chapter's commentary in a voice you would use for the dialogue of a mysterious magical girl character in a JRPG... Oh well...

The objective here is to defeat 3 different bosses to save the Hoshidan royal family. They're not in any direct danger - you fail the chapter after 20 turns have passed but none of the enemies will try to attack them. Which is good, because I think you'd fail in 1 or 2 turns if the Bow Knights could take potshots at Sakura or Hinoka.

Zola's right at the top of the map with two treasure chests in the rooms either side of him. His stats aren't impressive, but he has both Vengeance and Nosferatu. Thankfully he can't activate the former while wielding the latter so he has to choose between high damage or the ability to drain HP.

The other two bosses are two generic Generals paired up with one another. One has a 1-2 range lance, the other has an axe. Both have Wary Fighter and Warding Blow, a skill that grants 20(!!!) extra resistance when initiating combat. They don't move and aren't particularly dangerous, but they will take a while to kill unless you've got armour slaying weapons.

Otherwise this chapter is a mess of Nohrian units, all in promoted classes. There's these two jerks with Freeze...

And these two Maids with Enfeeble. There is a very small window where Freeze and Enfeeble overlap which you'll want to watch out for, but otherwise they don't move and are fairly easy to avoid until you're ready to deal with them.

The left side of the map will have to deal with mostly Generals and Heroes. Corrin starts over here and this side definitely has an easier time approaching the rest of the map from both paths you can take.

This side on the other hand must deal with Sorcerers and various mounted units. They'll definitely have a harder time - generally I don't push forward from the right until the left side cleans up a little.

It's very important to check weapons here because there's a lot of effective weaponry. There's a Hammer and a Beast Killer amongst these Generals.

Even with effective weaponry, Wary Fighter makes them a pain to deal with. Rather than aggressively pushing forward, I'll bait them over. This map does have a 20 turn limit but it's not particularly harsh.

Peri will enter the Enfeeble room and bait the heroes while standing just out of range of the Sorcerers on the other side. You can either send a very strong unit in to deal with the Maids or you can slowly bust through the various units inside that will come to you if you wait outside. The latter way is easier.

This side will advance much more slowly. The one spot where Nina is standing is the only point of the map that's in range of Sorcerers and nothing else - one more step further and she'll be harassed by Heroes and Paladins that'll hit her much harder.

Peri is immediately hit with two different status effects. I didn't realise she was in range of Freeze her, but it's fine...

It's very cool that Camilla is dodging all these hits, it's making things much easier for me. Despite her high bulk, her low HP makes her somewhat fragile...

Hey, he got res! Shame it doesn't matter anymore.

My original plan for Peri was to go straight from Paladin to Wyvern Lord after grabbing Defender, but I really think she needs to dip into Dark Knight to get Heartseeker. Her accuracy is... not good, even if she has been debuffed.

Even if her other stats are good, it doesn't matter if she can't hit!

These jerks are clogging up the hallways, but Camilla dodged every attack so she and everyone else can go on the aggressive to clean them up...

All my complaining about his defense has made me forget just how blessed his strength and skill are.

The Enfeeble users won't go for Peri again since she's just been hit, so I need to leave other units in range of them to make them waste their uses. Camilla and Silas are both busy right now but Corrin can afford to eat a debuff.

Okay good it turns out this guy just had Duelist's Blow so his avoid was boosted when he attacked. Still though, Heartseeker would make this a 100% chance to hit...

Untangling this formation can be very tricky. Rushing to kill the Freeze user will get you piled on by a Bow Knight and his friends, waiting just on the edge of his range will have both groups aggro on the frozen unit. Two of the Paladins next to the Bow Knight both have effective weaponry which makes them especially scary. I think I might wait until Xander's free before I try to beat them...

Nice, the two Enfeeble Maids went for Jakob and Niles, two units who really don't care about debuffs right now. Seems odd to debuff the healer...

I really need to kill this Paladin before the right group can begin their assault. He should be lureable with my left army once all the Generals are gone...

Spears are really odd in this game. They still can't double, but they can activate crits and offensive skills... And most importantly, they can't attack at 1 range. So they're basically expensive bows. I've never considered them to be worth buying, but maybe they can be useful in certain situations...

Time to get rid of this guy. This'll bait that troublesome Paladin over to Silas too... Keaton would have been a really useful unit to have in this chapter thanks to his innate beast killing ability. Oh well.

Unfortunately everyone piling on Jakob with staves means he can't move to heal Camilla. At least the Freeze guy is dead now.

Bulk is nice, but her bad str is actually bothering me now. Not that it matters, but get strength!!!

Oh and she learned a skill that's incredibly useful when passed down to one of her kids but is otherwise very hard to make use of as a dancer. At least it makes her harder to kill?

Bloodthirst counterattacks the effects of Enfeeble when it activates, allowing Peri to double if she gets a kill. She's slowly killing her way through all these Heroes...

Sometimes the numbers don't add up and you don't get the kills you want. Silas is spending more time with Camilla than his wife...

Level 10 and Camilla's EXP gain shows no sign of slowing down. She really is very OP, I don't know who decided she should level up this fast but I am very grateful to them.

He was too distracted with dual attacks to fall for Silas's bait last turn but now this jerk can die. The Beast Killer was a really helpful investment, and in the chapter coming up it will see even more use...

I will still be luring this formation from the left rather than the right, just so I don't have to deal with the second Freeze. I wish Xander could be in two places at once, he's somewhat wasted as a support partner for Peri.

Leo makes his debut in the Enfeeble room. Even with Elise and the Horse Spirit to help him he's not doing so well...

Some much needed accuracy from Peri. If I didn't need to give them all to Elise I'd give her a Secret Book or two.

This Maid's already ran out of staff uses but she's gotta die anyway. According to Peri's supports her whole childhood was spent killing her own maids for fun, so she's had a lot of practice!

I'm stuck with Brave Sir Robin tactics to get through all the Sorcs because nobody wants to deal with them all at once. Thankfully they'll retreat back into their room rather than chasing my units down...

Felicia heals and gets... a level? I guess if she ever has to throw a knife for whatever reason...

It's been too long since we've last seen the power couple combo. There's no Wyrmslayers here so Corrin makes good reliable bait.

Hang on, the wiki lied to me! It said these reinforcements only appear if you engage the General bosses in combat... It specifies the Bow Knight's Paladin squad as only triggering them on normal mode. This is not normal mode. I swear I am not trusting the wiki again on anything. Azura's in a bit of a tight spot...

Thankfully Xander's here to save the day. He's still not where I want him, but Azura needs help now.

The other reinforcements I can pile on with my weaker units for EXP.

...Niles this stopped being cute when your levels stopped being good.

At least Nina knows how to gain stats. I completely forgot about the Underdog skill... It gives extra hit and avoid if your opponent outlevels you, so Nina might have a decent chance of activating it?

There, now this half of the map looks much easier to deal with. I just need Xander to come over here and plug that chokepoint...

Silas finally hits level 5 and gets Defender! That's +1 to all stats when paired up. Now I need to reclass him to Hero so he can get Sol...

Taking advantage of dual attacks like this is really useful, I wish I was better at setting it up on purpose. You get to use a single effective weapon multiple times per turn if you do things right.

One of these Generals had Seal Def which unfortunately is going to leave Xander slightly fragile for a few turns. It didn't matter in earlier chapters, but it does now the enemies hit a little harder...

...Camilla and Silas are pretty much going to have to rout the right side of the map by themselves at this rate. Maybe I should have deployed Xander on the right too...

Leo doesn't get speed, Corrin doesn't get speed. Yay.

She does however get the incredibly cool Draconic Hex, a -4 debuff to all stats of enemies she enters combat with. Now she has this I can start reclassing her into other classes for skills...

Camilla is now free to slowly Hammer the bosses to death. It'll take a few turns...

10 turns passed and the map is mostly routed? I think I'm on fairly good time, although I should start work on getting those chests at the top.

Silas helps out and makes the boss kill go by much faster. Wary Fighter and dual guard can make killing them take more than a few turns if you don't gang up on them, especially if you need to retreat to heal between hits...

The Hoshidans are free! Now to KILL THEM WHILE THEY'RE UNARMED

slow down jakob you're too fast

I've been threatening to do this all chapter, now I can actually do it. If Keaton were in my army I could have sent him to do it instead... He'll be frozen here for a while but he doesn't mind.

Well at least he understands his role in this army. As soon as he's married Peri I should start pairing him up with Laslow so I can make him a Hero.

This jerk is partly why I was so cautious on this side of the map. Mjonir is weak but it's a killer weapon so any crits it makes will deal 4 times the damage instead of 3. The only way to weaken him safely was to have Leo stand next to Elise to increase his bulk...

Here's the worst part of the chapter. Boss is on his throne, he's got two very powerful pairs of units, each with seal def/res to make the other pair stronger. Entering in combat against either one will trigger 4 reinforcements from the stairs which are quite hard to block safely. Beating Zola before they can move to end the chapter instantly is a viable strategy...

I'll clean up the stragglers before I deal with him. Both Nina and Ophelia are on the cusp of greatness, they just need more EXP...

Gotta get these chests too. Each one has some jerk guarding it, but they're not that tough.

Your daughter is so going to replace you.

No idea who I should give this to. Or who even got my last one...

The ol' reliable VoF Supportive combo seems like the best approach here. Silas can take out one half of the Sorc pair in one hit, and he can survive a round against the other pair easily.

Jakob can rally him to make it a bit safer...

Nobody else wants to be anywhere near the enemies so I'll have to leave the stairs unguarded. It might be a rush to end the chapter next turn...

He lives! Luckily the Hero pair attacked first, letting him build gauge to block the second attack against his sealed resistance. He would have survived regardless but this way means he takes less damage.

...yeah. I was prepared for this, but this can really be a kaizo trap if you weren't. It wouldn't be a bad idea to Freeze the two pairs or slap Zola with an Enfeeble to make things go faster, but I shouldn't need to...

Time to clean up this mess. It will take my entire army to do it, but I should have enough units...

That's all Paladins with Defender now. It occurs to me I'm eventually going to reclass every single one of them...

My magic users are all too inaccurate for my liking... At least all of these hit.

Threat contained with 3 turns to spare. Now I can grab the trasure and feed the Zola kill to whoever I want...

The risk of Zola activating Vengeance when he's got Ragnarok equipped is too high so it's better to pile on him while he's still wielding Nosferatu. Thankfully he's not very scary despite his throne or healing power.

Because the devs wanted this conflict to happen in both routes. Also we suddenly decided that kidnapping is too evil to tolerate even though Peri's murdering is perfectly fine.

splat

And that's it! For once I'm perfectly happy with how a chapter went. Got all the stuff, distributed EXP well, didn't accidentally screw up and almost get everyone killed...

Now we get to have a nice meal with the real Izana! I think each table has a Nohrian and a Hoshidan dining on either side... Apparently this is a conflict of blonds vs redheads.

I think we should have killed them when we had the chance.

Next time: Invasion... 2!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
As irritating as even the little story snippets are, this is making me really want to pick up a ROM of this, since I can't find my 3DS. I forgot how much I actually wanted a Fire Emblem with, y'know, good map design. I can't play Three Houses anymore because the map design in it is so dull.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Counterpoint: Izana is The Best :colbert:

I've never found the b-rank 2rng weapons useful. Peri's Lance has similar conditions but it has 15 base crit and 1-2 rng despite its low mt, so I've found more use for that.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I like this map in every route. It's just fun for me. That Mjolnir sorcerer is why I always have Jakob as a butler with tomebreaker. You can't crit if you can't hit. Also Zola is way more scary in Birthright I think.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Izana is Fine as a staff/Rallybot and his aura stacks with others and can be played around with, say, magic weapon users, but his timing could perhaps be better, given the looming of Rallyman to come.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Keldulas posted:

As irritating as even the little story snippets are, this is making me really want to pick up a ROM of this, since I can't find my 3DS. I forgot how much I actually wanted a Fire Emblem with, y'know, good map design. I can't play Three Houses anymore because the map design in it is so dull.
Do it! Savestates will make the lack of divine pulse less bad if you trust yourself to not abuse them.

Weirdly enough 3H's map design never bothered me, as repetitive as it is. There's like 10 maps that are used over and over again for 30 chapters but somehow I never got tired them. Except for that one with all the lava, that one I could live without.

Walla posted:

I like this map in every route. It's just fun for me. That Mjolnir sorcerer is why I always have Jakob as a butler with tomebreaker. You can't crit if you can't hit. Also Zola is way more scary in Birthright I think.
Birthright's Zola is forever on my poo poo list because he killed my 4 HP Setsuna with a 1 damage Mjolnir crit. Entirely my fault, but still annoying. I think Kaze or Hinoka can probably rush him with no danger but it is a really nasty weapon for a boss to have.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I've started to reach the point where buildings can be fully upgraded. I think it's a couple more chapters until the level 3 shops...

Kaze/Silas and Leo/Felicia B, Elise/Leo C. Just two more chapters and I won't have to deploy Kaze any more... Sorry Kaze.

Corrin has learned the most important skill Nohr Noble has to offer, now begins her reclass tour. She gets Paladin from Silas. You might think it's weird to reclass a magical unit into a non-magic class, but she can still use the Levin Sword and her magic is still very high. Paladins also get a single point of magic at base for some reason? I'll be keeping her as one until she gets Defender, then she'll go Swordmaster.

Oh no, I only have 2 more Heart Seals left? That's exactly as many as I need, but I didn't realise I'd already used 2. As soon as I get the level 3 shop I'll have infinite buyable seals at least.

Huh, I think I wrongly claimed that reclassing to Hero would lower Silas's bulk but he's actually gained HP and hasn't lost defense. He's going Hero for Sol, Peri's going Dark Knight for Heartseeker. I really don't want her to spend more than a single map in this class.

Okay! Time for this nightmare of an invasion. Invasion 1 was free EXP, this one... isn't. But it is at least short.

On the left we have some Great Knights and Mechanists, on the right there's some fliers. They're not so bad, I've got loads of units who can deal with those.

At the bottom... Oh boy. There's a lot here. First of all, the boss. He's a Merchant with Spendthrift, a skill that expends one Gold Bar to increase damage dealt and reduce damage taken by 10 each when attacking. He and the two Maids either side of him won't aggro until attacked or you reach turn 5...

Which is good because he's paired with a Maid who's packing Entrap. It is safe to say that almost any unit that gets Entrapped by her is going to get obliterated by all these enemies at the bottom.

This includes two Merchants (each with two gold bars!) paired up, and two sets of Maids with Enfeeble and Freeze. One pair aggros immediately, the other pair aggros with the boss. Any unit that gets frozen & entrapped is going to have to deal with at least one member of the Merchant pair... Oh and the Maids have Silver Daggers and Seal Speed to ravage your stats even if they don't Enfeeble you.

And also two Villagers with Swordcatchers. In case them and the Hunter's Knife (effective against beasts) didn't tip you off, the devs really didn't want you cheesing this map with Xander on Lunatic.

...that's still the best solution though. Send Xander to the bottom, have him hold out as long as possible. Normally you'd want to give him as good a pair-up partner as possible... Peri's really not an idea one for him as a Dark Knight, but I still wanted to reclass her regardless and he needs to reach S rank with her this chapter if I want her to be a Wyvern in time for kitsune land. So I need to both S support them and get Peri a level. It might be tricky...

I'm not going to stress over this map. It's not particularly complicated, just send Xander downwards and then figure out what configuration of buffs and healing items makes him not die, but it might be more difficult than I can handle right now. If I can't do it I won't keep trying.

At least Niles was kind enough to cook a meal that makes him just fast enough to double the initial Merchant pair without needing a tonic. Thank you, Niles!

The rest of the map is easy so I'll use it to build supports and feed EXP to my units. Nina and Ophelia need it most!

No matter how many times I reset, the left and right parts of the map will always go the same way. So I'll just show my first attempt and that'll be the same as every other one.

Haha, nice. I have no idea what buildings unit can and cannot fly over but this guy clearly can't fly over this one.

Well I'm glad this part was easy. Now to slam my head against the bottom half of the map over and over until it breaks!

Xander's just strong enough to make this kill exactly. Taking out one half of this combo immediately de-esculates things a little. Xander can't kill any of the Maids in one shot and attempting to fight them will only get him debuffed...

...debuffed more, anyway. Whoever you send down here will not be moving for a while. You could send a whole load of units in to try and clean up as much as possible, but you do still need to protect your throne from the other enemies too...

These Villagers don't hurt so bad, even after the Enfeeble debuff. This game could have easily gone all out in its anti-Xander cheese strategy by filling the bottom with magic users but it did not and I am grateful.

The Spendthrift guys hurt a little more, and Xander's no longer fast enough to double them back... They are best taken out on player phase where they can't activate their skill.

The Villagers without Swordcatchers can't touch Xander and will run away to smash my stat boosting buildings and attempt to seize the throne instead. They're a little annoying.

Levels always being the same means I only have to screenshot them once. If I die then they'll still be the same!

The Enfeeble Maids won't use their staff on the same unit twice in a row, but they also don't want to attack Xander. So they'll start to run off to cause havoc along with the Villagers. Taking her out with the rest of my army before she comes back to harass Xander might be an idea...

Oh no please don't attack my infinitely respawning useless dragon fish thing instead of my units I actually care about

Oops, I forgot to give him any healing items. And the Merchant ran out of Gold Bars so now he's running away as well! At least he won't be able to threaten my other units without them.

There goes my +3 defense building...

...and here come the reinforcements. Yeah I think this is a failed attempt.

At least I know I have this level waiting for me! I'd be so annoyed to lose this.

Reinforcements will come from the left and right but not for another turn, which means the rest of my army has time to protect the throne from these guys. These units aren't great EXP but they're something at least.

And then the boss and his cronies move and kill Xander. It's fine! I almost won this time. All I need is a little more prep.

First of all I'll spend 2 DVP on a building that damages every enemy on the map at the start of their turn. Don't worry, I'll get my investment back on it when I win. Every enemy taking damage each turn will mean they won't activate Xander's Chivalry skill by not being at full HP, but the damage they take will add up and allow Xander to one shot most of them in return.

I'll also give him a Vulnerary and a HP, Str, and Def tonic each. If this doesn't work I'll consider buying him a better healing item.

Nothing gets the serotonin flowing more than a large quantity of numbers suddenly appearing with a meaty SPLAT sound.

Oh hey, Nina got a level this time around! A very nice level too. I can't wait until she herself gets Spendthrift.

Oops. That wasn't even Xander's fault this time! Turns out I can't just send Elise unpaired into a group of Villagers and have her survive.

Attempt 3 and I've reached the part where the boss and his cronies aggro. The lack of Chivalry counteracts Xander's tonic boost, but being able to kill this Maid in retaliation means he won't get his speed sealed.

That's the boss gone! Unfortunately I'm not sure Xander can take another hit...

Oh! Well that's okay then. He even crit in retaliation, getting a kill he wouldn't have normally.

Here's the reinforcements. Lunge Wyverns from the left, Heartseeker Dark Knights from the right. They're not so bad if the rest of your army is free to deal with them...

The Great Knights who come from the bottom will rush straight to the throne, only stopping if they can kill a unit along the way. They and all the other reinforcements will all converge in the same spot, making it easy for the rest of my army to wait in place to take them out.

Her escort may have died but the Entrap Maid is still here. Without her cronies she can't pull units to their certain death, but she can pull them away from the throne.

The other Maids are also alive, but Peri will fix that. I really hope she can get enough EXP to level up, but I'm doubtful.

The other guys I can handle no problem. Corrin on a throne with the Levin Sword could probably take out anyone who approached her...

Oh no, they've kidnapped my husband!!! This doesn't matter at all, I'm nearly done.

jakob level jakob level

I don't think Peri's going to level up even if she kills every enemy left. So I'm stuck with her as a Dark Knight for at least a little of the Kitsune chapter. That's... not great.

I decided to let Nina get the final kill, something I do regret slightly. Every point of EXP Peri got would have been less time she had to spend as a mounted unit in the next chapter, but ah well.

3 attempts! That's not bad, not bad at all. I think I underestimated just how much Xander could destroy this map on his own. It is really, really hard to do it without him.

I even got some meat from the lottery to make my victory all the more sweeter! And then I exchanged it for human flesh at the arena.

Now he and Peri are married. You know, this support would be extremely sweet if Peri were not... well, Peri. Maybe if they took away the whole "unrepentant murderer" thing from her personality she'd actually be a fun character? Xander states in his supports that the reason he's got such weird retainers is that he's had retainers die on him before, so he values martial prowess over professionalism. This support paints Peri as genuinely good at her job but unable to be taken seriously by others because she's so childish and poorly spoken... Without the whole "murderer" elephant in the room it's a great support that makes you feel sorry for Peri and makes you appreciate Xander more. Anyway the important part is that now Peri can be a Wyvern Lord and Xander's free to support with Laslow. Oh and I also unlocked the world's worst paralogue that I suppose I'll have to suffer through at some point.

No unit stats because I forgot to take screenshots! I'll save your browser the trouble of having to load like 15 images at once.

Next time: Super Smash Bros Melee

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

midnight lasagna posted:

Next time: Super Smash Bros Melee
:dadjoke:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Peri is the definition of the phrase "no half-measures." She's too much of an Actual Murderer to be a fun character like Henry, but she's too goofy and childish to be a character like Karel. She'd be much funnier if her attempts at murder were comically ineffectual (i;e, trying to stab someone with, idk, a carrot), which would play into the "nobody takes her seriously" angle.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It'd be a cute reveal if all of her servants were just great improvisers with maybe less than great morals who wanted to support young Peri no matter what she was into, so when she tried to kill them with her spoon or whatever, they'd ham it up and pretend to die. This led to her having a somewhat skewed sense of life and death and lower her kill count pretty intensely, so her preferred "fun" ways of killing were as suggested above comically ineffectual.

Honestly I think I'd rather do Siegbert's paralogue now just to guarantee Peri a level and get her out of a mounted class for fox hell. Might be unfair, but he's one of my least favorite kids thanks to his atrocious voice acting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Xander really wanted 'I don't care if you're bad at your job, I just want you to be good at fighting'... Felicia is right there.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

midnight lasagna posted:

Now he and Peri are married. You know, this support would be extremely sweet if Peri were not... well, Peri. Maybe if they took away the whole "unrepentant murderer" thing from her personality she'd actually be a fun character? Xander states in his supports that the reason he's got such weird retainers is that he's had retainers die on him before, so he values martial prowess over professionalism. This support paints Peri as genuinely good at her job but unable to be taken seriously by others because she's so childish and poorly spoken... Without the whole "murderer" elephant in the room it's a great support that makes you feel sorry for Peri and makes you appreciate Xander more. Anyway the important part is that now Peri can be a Wyvern Lord and Xander's free to support with Laslow. Oh and I also unlocked the world's worst paralogue that I suppose I'll have to suffer through at some point.

Peri definitely would have been better if she was just entirely too enthused about fighting and not literally just murdering random people for fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Another vote for just getting Siegbert out of the way. It's only going to get worse.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just chiming in to say that Peri is one of the reasons I put this game down. There were others, of course, but I remember her character bringing me down because all her comic murder was a gag that did not land.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Just chiming in to say that Peri is one of the reasons I put this game down. There were others, of course, but I remember her character bringing me down because all her comic murder was a gag that did not land.

It's why I paired her with Laslowe in my game, putting two characters I loathe together.

Same reasoning that gets Vaike fathering Noire in most of my Awakening games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Cythereal posted:

It's why I paired her with Laslowe in my game, putting two characters I loathe together.

Same reasoning that gets Vaike fathering Noire in most of my Awakening games.

Woah there, you can't bench teach. He has tenure.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Laslow and Vaike are some of the best characters in their games.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It is pretty funny that your Peri seems to be making her maid-murder hobby into a career, though.

edit: It seems like Peri is the only character who actually got the memo that Nohr are supposed to be the baddies, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regarding the previous chapter:

Do you believe love can bloom between the members of the Hoshidan and Nohrian royal families on a battlefield? :v:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Ugh okay FINE I'll do Seigbert's dumb paralogue now and get Peri's dumb skill so I can do the dumb Kitsune chapter.

Unlike Ryoma's son, Shiro, Seigbert actually gets to talk to his father. Xander manages to be a better parent by passing the extremely low bar of actually telling his son that he's the future ruler of Nohr... and that Nohr is a place that exists. Although he loses some points for naming his son after his sword and only changing a few of the letters.

This map sucks. It might be fair to call it the hardest map in Conquest, at least if you do it at the wrong time with the wrong units trained. It's a big foresty map filled with pools of water that will spawn reinforcements every single turn... infinitely. Because this is Conquest, these reinforcements will give absolutely no form of experience except for the support points your units build by entering combat with them.

Stopping these reinforcements requires activating dragon veins to evaporate each pool of water. There's multiple scattered around the map, with the boss sat on one of them. His spawns Knights/Generals with Wary Fighter and ranged weaponry.

This one spawns Cavaliers/Great Knights with Beast Killers...

This one spawns Ninjas/Master Ninjas all with Poison Strike...

This one spawns Archers/Snipers...

This one spawns Spear Fighters/Spear Masters...

This one spawns Diviners/Onmyoji...

...and this one spawns Dark Mages/Sorcerers!

If you think "wow, this sounds really annoying" then you are correct. This is extremely annoying. This chapter sucks and just like the Kitsune chapter that's next in the story, I will make no effort to defend it. It is Bad. But not "easily cheesable" bad like the Kitsune one. It's just frustrating as all hell.

At least we don't have to worry about recruiting Seigbert on top of all this hell. Seigbert is... okay? His stats are high all around and quite balanced, which means it's easy to make him good with the right mother, and a bad mother can't completely ruin him. Problem is he's yet another Cavalier in a game that gives you plenty so he's hard to care about. He's not outclassed by Xander since doesn't really fill the same role, but he is still worse than him. At least Peri gives him good growths...

Children who join after a certain point come with an Offspring Seal, a special item only they can use that will both promote them and raise their level up to a certain point depending on how far in the story you did their chapter. Their weapon ranks will also be raised and their stats will be calculated directly from their averages. So unlike Awakening you won't get situations like Gerome's paralogue where you suffer through hell right near the end of the game to get a level 10 unpromoted unit the exact same level as every other kid.

I had to attempt to cook this twice before Elise decided she was hungry. Turns out Nyx cooks really good meals - she doubles the effect of whatever she cooks and grants an extra point of defense to all adults. "Adults" means the first generation of units, so Elise gets the boost even though she's like 15 in Japan.

Back to 12 deployment slots for this chapter. Arthur gets a rare adventure away from the bench - I need a support partner for Elise that increases speed. He won't boost her speed the most but he will give her a bunch of other bonuses thanks to their S support.

But even with all this she still needs Azura's help to double the one enemy I want her to. If only I had Rally Speed...

Let's just get this over with. Leo and Felicia can't make it but otherwise the gang's all here... Oh and Niles isn't here too I guess.

Fliers are vital for crossing the forests quickly and eliminating problem enemies. Royal units are also good for activating dragon veins... What I mean is "use Camilla".

Having to put Azura near Elise means she's stuck somewhat far away from the rest of my army. It's worth it though, I need to hurry Elise along to eliminate certain enemies.

This guy mainly. Spear Fighters have huge stats and this guy has Seal Speed so I want him dead.

The enemies around him a lot more deadly, but Elise can tank them and that's all she needs to do. Her accuracy will be even worse on their turn thanks to Duelist's Blow.

If she had gotten that level earlier she'd have been able to double them without the tonic... Calamity Gate boosts speed by one point which I had forgotten to take into account.

Savage Blow activates the instant you unlock it. Splat!

Meanwhile, Corrin takes the right side of the map and will be handling the mages. Burning forests will extend the range of enemy units by reducing the amount of terrain they need to pass through, so you have to be careful.

Seigbert starts off in a little trouble so he needs to run back to regroup with my army. Thankfully he's tanky enough to take a few hits...

He's already got Defender from Xander, and Peri's influence will have hurt his defense a little, so Great Knight is the obvious choice. Had I done this one chapter later he'd have had his axe rank autoleveled to D, but oh well. Really I just want him to be able to survive this chapter, I have no plans for him in the long term.

Xander will push forward and help his son. I'm not quite doing this chapter at an ideal time - had I done it later I could have wyvern Peri flying Xander over all the forests. But then the enemies would also be stronger so maybe this is the best time.

Corrin's just about strong enough to go a few rounds with all these mages. Again I was hoping that when I did this chapter I'd have Master Ninja Silas, but there's no use complaining.

Meanwhile Elise is having accuracy troubles. With slightly higher mag she'd be able to one shot, but then she also would build less guard gauge per round of combat.

The Dual Club's weapon triangle doubling effect is... not always ideal. At least Camilla's tanky enough to survive getting hit.

LOL just kidding this is Camilla's Quest and she does what she wants, eat 13% crit with 18% hit chance. The "weapon triangle" is for Hoshidans and does not apply to her.

End of turn 1 and two sets of reinforcements have already spawned. I really don't want to deal with- wait they're unpromoted???

I guess I found the one point in the story where all the regular enemies get promoted but the reinforcements don't get to be? This makes things a whole lot easier! Suddenly I am feeling very optimistic.

The Diviners might not threaten Elise, but the Masters of Arms still do. It'll be a while before Elise can actually activate this dragon vein, there's too many units who need killing first.

This is alright, Xander needs speed.

Ophelia's just here to crit things and get EXP. Seigbert appears to be trying to jump his big armoured horse over her.

Hmm, maybe the Recover staff might have been useful here, I really want her HP topped up to full... Oh well.

I want Nina to be getting EXP too but she's stuck ferrying Azura over to the rest of my army.

Pretty good! I know he's not gotten defense but I may as well just appreciate his high strength instead. Good Fortune has a luck% chance of healing 10% of your HP back at the start of your turn and is probably one of the worst skills in the game, although it's still better than nothing unlike Gamble which is actively worse than nothing.

Thanks to Void Curse, the skill Conquest gives all infinitely spawning reinforcements, these guys aren't even useful for EXP. They can help build supports but Elise is already S ranked with Arthur.

Xander's quite good at clearing out mages. He takes a lot of damage in return but he can counter and one shot them from anywhere.

These jerks will approach from the top left corner after a few turns. The Falcon Knights are mostly there to chase down units like Azura and can't threaten your good combat units, but there is also one Kinshi Knight who exists just to shoot down your flies.

The map might not look too bad right now, but the more veins I take out the more crowded enemy spawns will start getting, since they'll all start coming from the same places. Popping dragon veins won't actually reduce the rate at which enemies spawn after a certain point, a minimum of one group will always spawn per turn so if there's only one vein left then they'll all come from the same place.

I know Ophelia's growths are pretty good but I still think she's blessed in magic and speed. She's not far off of being able to consistently double and ORKO... Vengeance is a cool skill with a skill*1.5% chance of adding half the damage you've taken to the damage you deal. It unfortunately cannot activate with Nosferatu.

May as well start making use of my Physic staves. Healing from a distance means it's easier to keep everyone topped up and Jakob out of danger.

That's okay. She does need resistance. Elbow Room is cool but a bit hard to use here.

Xander is unfortunately too bulky for the Snipers to target, but he's good bait to thin out the various magic users.

Elise can activate this vein while being in range to bait most of the fliers but none of the bow users. Handy!

Seigbert's quite a handy partner for Ophelia... Unfortunately I don't think the two of them can marry. Unlike first gen units, not every kid can marry every other one. (EDIT: nope, second gen units work like first gen ones. ophelia can marry any other second gen guy in conquest)

Wow, Elise is having a lot more success than I thought she would here. I don't think she'd be doubling without that tonic, so I guess it's good I gave it to her after all!

Interesting, it seems like the reinforcements don't have Conquest's usual AI. I guess to make it easier to clean them out?

If only the Snipers were as dumb, I really need them gone but they won't attack Xander.

This Kinshi is troublesome too - Elise can one round her, but she can also miss and get shot in retaliation.

At least Corrin's having some success. This'll stop more Archers from appearing...

Elise instead lures the Kinshi over on enemy phase with her guaranteed Dual Guard, taking it out in retaliation.

These jerks are running away to the forts to heal themselves. I'd really rather kill them now, but they keep running further into enemy territory...

Oh right, the entire reason I'm doing this in the first place is to get Peri EXP. May as well get her some?

Meanwhile the top half of the map is slowly filling up with crap. All the Ninjas and some of the Paladins have 1-2 range, which makes them difficult to bait and kill...

This guy is just winding me up now. He's not doing anything but so long as he's alive I can't have any fliers near him. There's Beast Killer Cavaliers in range of him but sod it, he needs to die and Xander can tank a few effective hits.

No more Dark Mages! This'll help Xander a bit.

Now for the hard part. Once I approach all the enemies are going to aggro, and that means dealing with like 500 Ninjas all at once, along with Beast Killer cavs and Wary Fighter Knights. The latter two aren't so threatening, but they are annoying.

They're even worse when promoted, they take 2 or 3 of your units to kill just one and they keep spawning more of themselves.

The ninjas are on the move... And the Mechanists. I'm used to the ninja cave where they don't use bows, but these ones do use them and will absolutely destroy Elise if I try to have her bait the ninjas herself. I had kind of forgotten about them...

At least Elise can approach from the top left where all she'll face are lance users she can beat with the Calamity Gate.

HP! Strength! Nice.

Okay I did not realise how quickly this would get out of hand. Only one new group of enemies spawns per turn now, but this is... a bit of a situation. There is nowhere I can lure ninjas without also getting shot at with bows. Thanks to Poison Strike, nobody wants to take more than a few hits either...

PROBLEM SOLVED, I BAITED THEM

...not on purpose, but now I've lured them out. I was so focused on trying to get Azura and Jakob to safety I forgot to keep track of where my fliers were. I think this makes things easier for me though...

The Mechanists are now closer to the edges of the group of enemies, so I should be able to isolate them and take them out without being constantly bombarded by other units. They're slower than Ninjas so they should go down easier...

Especially now they've no longer got their shurrikens equipped. That's one down!

slow down jakob

Any chance I have to lure away a unit from the group I'll take. I'm just glad I'm not dealing with MNs...

Aaaaahhh he's off by 2 HP! Being able to kill this guy would have made life much easier. Peri could do it but then she'd get torn apart on enemy phase. Xander's got higher def and his sword to dissuade attackers...

Oh right, reinforcements have a different AI. So they're all going to pile on Xander and wear him down...

...or not, so long as he hits every shot in retaliation. Missing just one or two counterattacks would have resulted in Poison Strike stacking up and possibly killing him.

This looks more manageable. I've had to flee halfway across the map but things are much less dangerous now.

Die die and die again you puppet riding weirdos. This isn't steampunk, get your gears outta here!

Woo, go Elise! You get that speed! Everybody is too slow.

Now let me at that dragon vein so I can stop you guys from spawning. I need to clean up before the next ninja wave arrives.

Just the Knights left now. The Strategist in the middle has a Freeze staff but with most of the spawns neutralised they're hardly an issue anyway.

And that's the last of these jerks gone from the map! I never want to see another shurriken ever again.

Now to remove this jerk from the vein he's parked on. He and his cronies won't move, but the Knights that spawn will.

This hardly matters. She'll still kill the units that come to her.

No more Freeze... I should really stop using Xander for everything, Peri still hasn't leveled up yet.

Oops, this guy had Vantage! Not that it matters, he's dead now.

Was it worth it? Was it really worth it??? The answer is yes if I win.

A present for the happy couple! What a lovely honeymoon this was.

GO AWAY

One last Kaze support point for the road... Kaze and Silas were supposed to be in this shot but there's a big dumb idiot in the way.

BLUUUUUHHHH

All things considered, I'm glad I got peer pressured (by like 2 people...) into doing this early. The reinforcements being unpromoted made a big difference. Was a shame I nearly died thanks to being dumb. What I maybe should have done is lured over the Mechanists earlier rather than letting the ninjas pile up before baiting them, but what can you do?

Oh no way did you do this all by yourself before Seigbert. No way.

Nah he's already traumatised for life, it doesn't really get any harder than this. The next two generations of the Nohrian royal family are going to slowly go mad from nightmares of Ninjas hiding in the shadows and emerging from pools of water. One of them is definitely going to order Mokushu burned to the ground.

Next time: Kitsune chapter for real this time?

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 29, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Seigbert's quite a handy partner for Ophelia... Unfortunately I don't think the two of them can marry. Unlike first gen units, not every kid can marry every other one.

Ophelia can marry all the Nohrian second-gen men, as it happens, including Siegbert.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Huh, seems like I was wrong then. Looking at Serenes Forest it seems like second gen units work just like first gen ones. Maybe I was thinking of Awakening?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Huh, seems like I was wrong then. Looking at Serenes Forest it seems like second gen units work just like first gen ones. Maybe I was thinking of Awakening?

My guess is a combination of that and Revelation supports being weird - there's very limited cross-side S-ranks available.

Ophelia in my game, on the other hand, married a werewolf. Henry is one proud granddad, his daughter in law is a dark mage who hosed up a ritual and was cursed to be forever young, and now his granddaughter has wed Nohr's prettiest werewolf.

Lissa... is probably going to have questions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

midnight lasagna posted:

Awakening is the exact same outside of the post game units who only pair up with Robin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well 2nd gen marriages in Awakening have no mechanical benefits other than the S Rank support bonuses since Partner Seals don't exist, they're really just there for your support ending.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well 2nd gen marriages in Awakening have no mechanical benefits other than the S Rank support bonuses since Partner Seals don't exist, they're really just there for your support ending.

This is really underselling those bonuses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, it's just plain fun.

Siegbert's supports with Velouria are genuinely interesting in my book, I aborted my plans to pair Siegbert with Sophie because I was much more interested in his supports with Velouria, and in my opinion it's the best non-comedy support chain I've seen yet in Fates.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I think this is the slowest arena battle I've ever seen... Makes me glad this game doesn't work like 3 Houses where more than a few rounds in the arena counts as a loss. Where did they find promoted enemies too weak to be able to do more than single digit damage to Azura?

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I'm sure some units are more likely to appear in certain buildings than others. Felicia keeps appearing in the shop and giving me discount staves.

There is one chapter in the game where the Entrap staff is absolutely vital, so I'm grabbing it now while it's affordable. I've been extremely stingy with offensive staves so far... You definitely want to save at least a few for the stretch of chapters between 25 and Endgame, but maybe I should use them a little more. I think I've done like 2 Enfeebles and a Freeze.

Finally, I can do what I've been planning all along! Wyvern Lord's a great compliment to Peri, she gets to keep her lance rank and it boosts her mediocre defense and skill. Meanwhile her speed and resistance are still good, and her strength only gets better.

Wyvern Lords are also super good for cheesing the next chapter. The one good thing about Kitsune Lair is that you can just deploy like 1 or 2 units with high physical defense and no beast weakness and have them grind out weapon ranks a bunch with little to no danger.

Seigbert gets a bunch of C supports and Jakob & Elise have a B support.

Camilla and Kaze finally get their S support. Ideally it would have been Keaton, but ah well. Even if she's already fast she does appreciate the speed he gives her, especially because she's likely to hit her rather low cap as a Malig Knight soon.

I'm not 100% sure when I'll do the remaining child paralogues. I'm mostly putting them off of EXP purposes, but 3 of them will also give me staffbots who are guaranteed to have decent stats and weapon ranks. Maybe once I've gotten Leo married off and my deployment slots freed up a little I'll do some more?

Slightly overdue team stats. Everyone's looking a bit overleveled thanks to all the paralogues I've been doing.

Seigbert
Cavalier (HS: Wyvern Rider (Xander), Dark Mage (Peri)
A+ Support Reclasses: Kana (Samurai), Forrest (Troubadour), Ignatius (Knight)
Personal Skill: Gallant (Grants +2 damage dealt to female units when supporting them)
Growths (With Default Class) [Base]:
HP: 35% (45) [40]
STR: 47.5% (62.5) [45]
MAG: 5% (5) [5]
SKL: 37.5% (47.5) [45]
SPD: 47.5% (57.5) [45]
LCK: 40% (55) [45]
DEF: 30% (40) [35]
RES: 32.5% (37.5) [20]

Before Ferdinand von Aegir was Ferdinand von Aegir, Seigbert was Seigbert... In Heroes, anyway. Fates doesn't have voice clips for selecting a unit.

Seigbert's a cavalier with very balanced stats that are high all around. He's pretty much just a nice filler unit who's likely to have better stats than your other cavaliers, but without any of the time they had to build supports or be useful. That's... about it, really? I don't know what to say about this guy.

Gallant is a poor man's Forceful Partner, except it works for all girls and not just Corrin, so he's not a bad unit to pair with one of your second gen girls to make them hit harder. Seigbert can reclass to Malig Knight if you want him to give boosts more relevant to a magic user, something I might end up doing if I do pair him with Ophelia. If you want to use him as a combat unit, it can be a good idea to Offspring Seal him into Great Knight and them promote him into Wyvern Lord, WK's a good class and he'll start off with axe rank if you don't recruit him too early.

My Seigbert in particular has very similar stats to Peri, who is his mother. He's basically Peri with the edges smoothed off, he's slightly less strong, fast, and resistant, but better in every other aspect. Half the people who play this game usually pair him with Charlotte, who makes him even faster and stronger with more HP in exchange for worse defenses. Charlotte!Seigbert is probably very good?

Yeah I've really got very little to say about this guy. I told you these analyses wouldn't be very good! I'm sure someone on the internet has a lot of insightful commentary about the uses of kids in these games.

Unit Rating: Worst haircut in Fates

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
To be a little fair to the arena battle there, Brass Naginata + WTA and for the Dark Knight, he is hitting her res, which she actually has a decent amount of. The Hero is also working through that dual attack penalty.

To be a lot less fair to them, that still means that the Dark Knight has maybe 18 attack. And she only has 10 effective defense before getting sworded, she really should take more damage than that. I understand that they do try to make it so that anyone can fight and win in that arena, but those promoted enemies are just sad. It IS funny though, so that's worth something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Yeah I've really got very little to say about this guy. I told you these analyses wouldn't be very good! I'm sure someone on the internet has a lot of insightful commentary about the uses of kids in these games.

My take on him is about the same as yours. A late-joining cavalier with good stats (mine had Mozu for a mother) and no real place in the army except for using Gallant to further boost one of my many potent front line women (in my case, I stuck him with Velouria).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't normally bother with the kids. If I even recruit any it's because I want the rewards of the Paralogue, especially if I'm trying to do a no shopping run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Siegbert is one of the worst cases of 'oh yeah, you're a class I already have too many of'. Cavalier's not bad, but you've already had four at this point (Silas, Peri, Gunter, Xander), and potentially Sophie, who's easier to get since Silas joins way earlier. Unlike Soliel or Ophelia, he doesn't have any notably giant stat growth leans, and Xander's late join time really hampers him, with the only upside being that Xander is gonna be seeing a ton of action as soon as he joins anyway and he aligns well with a lot of the physical moms that would be really good as a pair-up partner for Xander.

Otherwise he's... just kinda there. He probably won't do anything the rest of your army isn't already doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imo, using an Entrap staff makes Forrest's paralogue nice and relaxed without having to worry about the axeman they send to gank him. Easy XP and bond and weapon levels. Sure, it's ONE OF THE ENTRAP STAVE USES but it's the elixir problem. Better to use them and get suboptimal benefit than to wait for benefit that might never come.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 30, 2021