Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The United States posted:

Guy on the left ultimately ended up being a kinda goofy and boring proto-thanos, I respected the guy on the right's commitment to being the ultimate graphics card box art man.

Hard to do a straight comparison though because the guy on the right got so many more scenes that flesh him out and make him more of a character.

Loooool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

It's not really a recruitment campaign, it's a propaganda exercise intended to normalize the military-industrial complex.

Part of it is absolutely a recruitment campaign - there's one prominent example of this. The STEM academy at the end of Black Panther ties in nicely with the introduction of Spider-Man, encouraging bookish high school students to become Information Warriors or whatever. In universe, Tony Stark creates a fake scholarship to ferret out potentially useful minors who may have superpowers, irl, Marvel announces and quickly cancels a joint promotion for Lockheed Martin's Teen Avengers.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Part of it is absolutely a recruitment campaign - there's one prominent example of this. The STEM academy at the end of Black Panther ties in nicely with the introduction of Spider-Man, encouraging bookish high school students to become Information Warriors or whatever. In universe, Tony Stark creates a fake scholarship to ferret out potentially useful minors who may have superpowers, irl, Marvel announces and quickly cancels a joint promotion for Lockheed Martin's Teen Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sorry! Northrop Grumman, always get those two mixed up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also Captain Marvel did a whole air force recruitment ad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Brie Larson was doing those joints for like 8 months like she was on deployment, lol.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Great rebuttal

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man of Steel had one too but it was much shittier

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I genuinely love all the halfassed dogshit promotions they did for MOS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I genuinely love all the halfassed dogshit promotions they did for MOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-N--bMKlVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFINnkBvC2M

Lmao

e: I still love how that fight is the closest we'll get to "XCOM rookies vs. Mutons"

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 27, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MoS gets flack for the military and corporate sponsorship but at least within the movie itself, the sponsored businesses all get obliterated and the military is shown as incompetent and invasive even after Superman proved himself not a threat.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

This Carl's Jr commercial is canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48IkFF5BhM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What if Thickburgers were in color?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine how dirty that burger has to be

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-N--bMKlVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFINnkBvC2M

Lmao

e: I still love how that fight is the closest we'll get to "XCOM rookies vs. Mutons"

Like, fuckin A, SEARS?? How depressing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brie Larson was doing those joints for like 8 months like she was on deployment, lol.

Nothing against Brie, but, yeah. Lol.

https://twitter.com/DeptofDefense/status/1104064240736964608

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211024-three-stars-for-chlo-zhaos-disappointing-eternals

I get the feeling the mad Marvel fans aren't going to love the reviews this movie gets

it's currently on track to have the lowest RT score in the franchise since Thor: TDW, if not the lowest overall. oof.

having said that, I get the feeling that if Eternals underperforms, Marvel's likeliest takeaway will be that they gave Zhao too much creative control on the project and that they need to rein in directors (even) further, so I think the box office here is a no-win situation for people who don't care much for the MCU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/JonNegroni/status/1452855968455221252

https://twitter.com/JonNegroni/status/1453461279394263042

https://twitter.com/JonNegroni/status/1453462179785572353

Lol. Eternals is gonna break MCU stans.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am glad they tried something new-ish (for them) even if the results are apparently not great.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I still like the MCU overall (though definitely not as enthusiastically as I did a few years ago), but I've gotten to the point where I find MCU haters more sympathetic than devoted MCU fans simply because the latter has proven so unable to deal with criticism despite the franchise dominating culture to a greater degree than any film franchise to date has managed. sorest winners in the history of pop culture, I swear

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am glad they tried something new-ish (for them) even if the results are apparently not great.

same, even many of the negative reviews still make me want to see it for the ambition, even if its reach significantly exceeds its grasp

that said, a lot of the reviews also fault it for ultimately not being ambitious enough, namely in that it sticks too closely to the rest of the franchise in its tone and narrative tropes

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 27, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Having worked in the military industrial complex for a couple years…let me tell you lmao.

They do pay well though and most of the people I worked with were cool.

I did bring up making an Iron Man suit and some there had already figured most of it out except didn’t manage to find a way to let the person in the suit survive impacts at high speeds

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 27, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

Having worked in the military industrial complex for a couple years…let me tell you lmao.

They do pay well though and most of the people I worked with were cool.

I did bring up making an Iron Man suit and some there had already figured most of it out except didn’t manage to find a way to let the person in the suit survive impacts at high speeds

Gravity's always a bitch

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Spider-Man is coming barely a month after Eternals, even if Eternals flops (which I’m not confident about) it’s gonna roll off the MCU like water on a duck’s back both critically and financially

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pirate Jet posted:

Spider-Man is coming barely a month after Eternals, even if Eternals flops (which I’m not confident about) it’s gonna roll off the MCU like water on a duck’s back both critically and financially

It's got a 74% on RT, which is low for an MCU movie, but still 3/4 positive and I have trouble envisioning a situation where Eternals is a money loser.

The "worst case scenario" is they end up with an okay critical reception, an okay financial haul, and then Eternals will get the Hulk treatment where they show up periodically, but never get a sequel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoy most of the Marvel movies but there's too god damned many of them. I like other types of films besides comic book stuff. Having said that I do miss the Netflix series.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think it's really funny that McDonald's is selling The Eternals Happy Meals

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Get your Kingo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Lol. Eternals is gonna break MCU stans.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's got a 74% on RT

As of this writing it's currently the least crowd-pleasing MCU film thus far, below Thor: The Dark World

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is it true that kingo dies ? kumail taking years off his life for 1 movie is sad

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Long live the Kingo

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

well why not posted:

is it true that kingo dies ? kumail taking years off his life for 1 movie is sad

Let's be real: dude embarked on the PED journey because of personal insecurities, not a film that apparently espouses the importance of sexual orientation in the absence of any actual sexuality.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

well why not posted:

apparently just a twitter meme, but for some reason the phrase ’kingo dies’ is still making me lol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's got a 74% on RT, which is low for an MCU movie, but still 3/4 positive and I have trouble envisioning a situation where Eternals is a money loser.

The "worst case scenario" is they end up with an okay critical reception, an okay financial haul, and then Eternals will get the Hulk treatment where they show up periodically, but never get a sequel.
It'll be what everyone calls Antman as the forgettable movie that is the epitome of boilerplate marvel movies

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

well why not posted:

From spoilers I’ve seen though I’m not 100% sure they’re accurate yet Kingo survives but multiple Eternals do die

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tankbuster posted:

Long live the Kingo

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1450944138325680130?t=mNE3o3aj6YFAlczRtCDHLg&s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What's more damning is that he apparently doesn't even have a shirtless scene, which begs the question why he pumped himself full of PEDs and growth hormones if that is the case

And the only conclusion is

KVeezy3 posted:

Let's be real: dude embarked on the PED journey because of personal insecurities

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, the producer told him he didn't need to get fit for the role at all beyond cardio and they had to actually tell his personal trainers to stop listening to Nanjiani because they wanted him to chill out on it.

The original vision for Kingo was a skinny nerdier type and Nanjiani says he got jacked against their wishes because he wanted the first South Asian superhero in a major movie to be jacked.

quote:

Marvel Told Kumail Nanjiani He Got Too Ripped For Eternals

Eternals producer Nate Moore says Kumail Nanjiani got too muscled up for his role as Kingo, and the team had to "pull back" his workouts.

Marvel felt Kumail Nanjiani got too muscled up for Eternals. With less than a month left until its release, all eyes are currently on Eternals, which Oscar-winner Chloé Zhao has directed in her MCU feature debut. The upcoming movie takes the focus away from better-known Marvel superhero teams, including the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, introducing the new eponymous alien race of immortal super-powered individuals based on Jack Kirby's comic book characters. The Eternals have dwelled in the shadows for the past 7,000 years, but resurface and reunite to protect the world from an impending threat posed by their evil counterparts, The Deviants.

Scheduled to open exclusively in theatres on November 5, Eternals has been generating quite some buzz due its star-studded cast. The movie features Gemma Chan as Sersi, Richard Madden as Ikaris, Salma Hayek as Ajak, and Angelina Jolie as Thena. Nanjiani also stars as Kingo, an Eternal who has taken up a career in Bollywood to blend in on Earth. Nanjiani is perhaps the one actor who has undergone the most dramatic transformation for the movie. He trained for a full year to embody his role as a formidable superhero, and his shirtless pictures, which he posted on social media to celebrate his hard work, quickly broke the internet. Nanjiani's new look inspired many, although Marvel was a bit skeptical about him gaining too much muscle.

While visiting the Eternals set with a group of reporters in January 2020, Screen Rant spoke to producer Nate Moore about the rugged physique Nanjiani had developed for the film. Moore explained that Marvel hadn't asked Nanjiani to get quite so big for the movie. In fact, they were stunned when they saw him all muscled up. The producer said that he told the actor that he got a bit too shredded, as his role was that of a "movie star" and not of a "bodybuilder." Moore still appreciated Kumail's dedication, suggesting that he worked so hard because he was fully "invested" in the movie. Read what Moore said below.

"I will say this because this is the truth, we were like, “hey Kumail don't worry about it. You don't have to get in a ton, like this isn't the movie where we have to work out a ton.” But he wanted to do it and he got at some point I had to call him said, “Kumail I think you got too big” because we saw him I think on Kimmel or something. He's a movie star. He's not a bodybuilder and we had to pull Kumail back ... He was so excited to be in the movie he was just invested, but yeah, he got big. I've been in the gym with him it is very intimidating."

As expressed by Nanjiani previously, his decision to get extremely physically fit for Eternals was a personal one, rather than a studio mandate. Since he is playing the MCU's first South Asian superhero, Nanjiani wants to break the stereotypes that he says are typically reserved for actors of South Asian heritage. The actor insists that Hollywood typically depicts men of his descent as "nerdy" or "terrorists," and that isn't the image he wants to convey with his portrayal of Kingo. Instead, he wants his superhero to be able to take down the likes of Thor and Captain America, which is why he got in such a muscular shape.

Although Marvel may not have wanted Kingo to be so brawny, it's hard to deny that the character looks particularly good because of the extra mile Nanjiani went for him to appear so flawless. Kingo doesn't seem to have a shirtless scene in the movie, but his well-toned body shines well through his bold purple and gold costume, as seen in photos from Eternals. Marvel's vision for Kingo was somewhat different, but with his distinctive approach and hard work, Nanjiani has made his superhero's characterization even better. Whether or not fans will fully appreciate his take on the character is something that will become clear once Eternals arrives in theaters.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lmfao KINGO NO KINGO STOP NOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, those "UNTITLED FEATURE" MCU releases for 2023 are getting filled in.

One of them is the already announced Fantastic 4.

The others are:

- A Black Panther: Wakanda Forever spinoff Disney+ series featuring Danai Gurira as Okoye
- A Thunderbolts movie
- Shang-Chi 2
- A Nova movie

Nova seems like a weird choice to lead into Fantastic 4.

The Thunderbolts movie feels pretty obvious, given that they have been setting it up with Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

quote:

Marvel is preparing to begin production on four new projects from Phase 4 of the MCU in 2023, including a Thunderbolts movie. Phase 4 has presented some difficulties for Marvel, starting with the kickoff film Black Widow being delayed by over a year due to theater closures during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, 2020 was the first year since 2007 that didn't see a single project from the MCU. Even now that Phase 4 has fully kicked into gear in 2021 with two films and 3 Disney+ live-action shows that have already premiered, and Eternals, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and Hawkeye still on the horizon,

Despite this, the company is still experiencing setbacks. Because of the interlocking nature of their productions, additional pandemic delays have caused Marvel to push back the dates of nearly every Phase 4 movie set to debut after Spider-Man, by a couple of months each. They even had to remove two previously set dates from the slate to the chagrin of many eager fans.

Even though the timeline has been pushed back, it seems that the same conversations that led to this new restructuring of Phase 4 have included the greenlight on several new projects. According to The GWW, in 2023, Marvel will begin production on a Thunderbolts film adaptation along with the previously announced Fantastic Four movie. They are also reportedly moving forward on a Shang-Chi 2 (no surprise after Shang-Chi obliterated pandemic box office records) and a Black Panther: Wakanda Forever spinoff series featuring Danai Gurira as Okoye.

In the comics, the team was created by Baron Helmut Zemo, who is played by Daniel Brühl in the MCU. The current Thunderbolts lineup, led by Kingpin, includes Taskmaster, Crossbones, Typhoid Mary, Shocker, Whiplash, Rhino, and Kraven the Hunter. Several of those villains have previously appeared in the MCU (most recently, Taskmaster was played by Olga Kurylenko in Black Widow), but considering that some of those villains are Spider-Man characters owned by Sony (who have a Kraven the Hunter movie coming in 2023), this wouldn't be the same team the MCU delivers.

quote:

Marvel Studios is reportedly planning a Nova movie as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the pages of Marvel Comics, human Richard Rider, a.k.a. “Nova” is chosen as a teenager by Rhomann Dey, the last surviving Centurion of Xandar's Nova Corps, to inherit his power and succeed him in the rank of Nova Prime—who possesses super strength, near invulnerability, flight, and a uniform with a sealed life-support system. Following the establishment of Rhomann Dey (John C. Reilly) and the Nova Corps in 2014’s Guardians of the Galaxy, fans have anticipated the arrival of Rider’s Nova.

At one point, Nova was set to appear in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. Before the events of the former, Thanos acquires the Power Stone and decimates Xandar and the Nova Corps off screen. Nova was originally the one sent to Earth to warn the Avengers about Thanos in place of Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). Regardless, it makes sense for Rhomann Dey to have recruited a replacement in the wake of Thanos to help rebuild the galaxy. The Russo brothers have even teased that Nova was secretly in Endgame’s climactic battle while Marvel Studios President, Kevin Feige, has said that Nova has "immediate potential" to join the MCU. With Nova at the top of Marvel’s list and a full slate of movies and Disney+ shows making up Phase 4, it’s only a matter of time before he makes his debut.

Similar to characters like Captain Marvel, the mantle of Nova is bestowed upon more than just Rider. The comics recently introduced a younger and new Nova, a Latino teenager named Sam Alexander. When asked about Nova and whether or not he’d appear as Rider or Alexander, Feige previously teased that both characters will appear in the MCU.