Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Even Hulk and Contact got edited by DoD

quote:

The national security state has a profound, sometimes petty, impact on what Hollywood conveys politically. On Hulk, the DoD requested “pretty radical” script alterations, according to its script notes we obtained through Freedom of Information. These included disassociating the military from the gruesome laboratories that created “a monster” and changing the codename of the operation to capture the Hulk from “Ranch Hand” to “Angry Man”. Ranch Hand had been the name of a real chemical warfare programme during the Vietnam war.

In making the alien movie Contact, the Pentagon “negotiated civilianisation of almost all military parts”, according to the database we acquired. It removed a scene in the original script where the military worries that an alien civilisation will destroy Earth with a “doomsday machine”, a view dismissed by Jodie Foster’s character as “paranoia right out of the Cold War”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1452770252757078025

uhhh isnt amazon literally making a silmarillion show as we speak

James Joyce's letters

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The silmarrilion is basically the first version of the eternals

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

James Joyce's letters

:dogstare:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think you could adapt the Silmarillion but not easily into movies and certainly not into a movie

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

indigi posted:

that’s not really adapting anything from Slaughterhouse V it’s just a completely different thing
I'm thinking of the section where Vonnegut is saying he's going to end his book with Derby's execution and O'Hare's wife accuses him of writing a book that will portray them as manly heroes like John Wayne and Frank Sinatra, when they were just "babies," and make war look appealing and heroic and he swears to her it won't be like that. The original is an author talking about his intentions in writing the book in your hands, and you could do a straight translation and have an actor talking about writing the tv/movie you're watching, but if you're really adapting it to the medium it's going to be a production meeting that they don't want to cast Hemsworth or Pratt as the leads.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Marvel having a scene where an Eternal laments over letting Hiroshima happen implies they sat down in a park and watched 9/11 happen lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lucas was playing homage to Vonnegut by also starting the numbering for his series in the middle.

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse prequels would have been dope af tho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Knight posted:

I'm thinking of the section where Vonnegut is saying he's going to end his book with Derby's execution and O'Hare's wife accuses him of writing a book that will portray them as manly heroes like John Wayne and Frank Sinatra, when they were just "babies," and make war look appealing and heroic and he swears to her it won't be like that. The original is an author talking about his intentions in writing the book in your hands, and you could do a straight translation and have an actor talking about writing the tv/movie you're watching, but if you're really adapting it to the medium it's going to be a production meeting that they don't want to cast Hemsworth or Pratt as the leads.

yeah the point of that section isn’t the nuts and bolts of creating a story or spoiling the shocking ending or denigrating the leading men of the day, it’s entirely about how sick and evil our society is to glamorize war and the military and how we’ve created a machine to warp the minds of children who we then send off to die

completely ignoring the novel’s major theme at the outset isn’t really an adaptation of it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYThm2Ddpg

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Marvel having a scene where an Eternal laments over letting Hiroshima happen implies they sat down in a park and watched 9/11 happen lmao

many sides

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
If we are talking about nearly unfilmable sci-fi series, I've always thought Tad Williams Otherland was just dumb enough to make an entertaining streaming series. it's got fantasy elements, stupid 90s matrix cyberverse poo poo, socioeconomic conspiracies, and poorly written diverse characters that couple potentially be adapted to good ones that those types of shows love.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol what if they tried to make Xanth movies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

to give a sincere “how to adopt the Silmarillion” answer I think it’d work best as an anthology-type series in the vein of Electric Dreams where you get ten directors and have them make 60-90 minute movies out of individual stories from the Silmarillion (someone does the theft/kinslaying, someone does the lay, someone does the fall etc). let each filmmaker pick what story they want to tell and don’t try to force them into telling the story chronologically. also some stuff like the Narn would obviously be a multi-parter

this way it’d feel like a compilation of old mythic tales where they all have their own aesthetic and storytelling style (and takes on different characters who’d pop up in multiple episodes) all still part of the same universe

e: also if someone wants to take something Tolkien only mentioned in passing (like Azaghâl) let them do that

indigi has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Oct 27, 2021

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

indigi posted:

yeah the point of that section isn’t the nuts and bolts of creating a story or spoiling the shocking ending or denigrating the leading men of the day, it’s entirely about how sick and evil our society is to glamorize war and the military and how we’ve created a machine to warp the minds of children who we then send off to die

completely ignoring the novel’s major theme at the outset isn’t really an adaptation of it
Uh, that would be the point of the scene? Production decisions to have famous actors being heroic during exciting times in their "anti-war" feature, aimed to an audience that includes youths who are in or approaching enlistment age?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol what if they tried to make Xanth movies

Looks like someone bought the rights to it in 2017, but I dont think the world is libertarian enough for pedofantasies the series yet

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watched david lynch's dune last night after taking the dune pill and, while i love lynch and there was some cool/interesting stuff in there, that poo poo sucked!! the stans for this are about as confounding to me as the star wars prequel stans — sorry this is just no bueno

oh well guess i'll go read the book/s now

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Stainless Steel Rat

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also now having watched all of lynch's films i can do a full ranked list (not including Twin Peaks The Return because it would be #1)

1. Mulholland Drive
2. The Straight Story
3. Eraserhead
4. Inland Empire
5. Lost Highway
6. Twin Peaks FWWM
7. Blue Velvet
8. The Elephant Man
9. Wild at Heart
10. Dune

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

watched david lynch's dune last night after taking the dune pill and, while i love lynch and there was some cool/interesting stuff in there, that poo poo sucked!! the stans for this are about as confounding to me as the star wars prequel stans — sorry this is just no bueno

1984 Dune seems only enjoyable if you never read Dune or watched 2021 Dune beforehand

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

1984 Dune seems only enjoyable if you never read Dune or watched 2021 Dune beforehand

that's me! and i didn't really enjoy it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NateTalksToYou/status/1453130097108692998?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

thats mostly cined where criticism something is "making GBS threads on it". that movie is generally considered crap for a reason

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Judakel posted:

thats mostly cined where criticism something is "making GBS threads on it". that movie is generally considered crap for a reason

i'm seeing it on twitter too though like i think from (prob unsurprisingly) leslie lee and some others

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i'm seeing it on twitter too though like i think from (prob unsurprisingly) leslie lee and some others

leslie lee looks like a turtle. turtles don't mean poo poo to me

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
every big media release that comes out nowadays is primarily an opportunity for twitter people to practice their hot take technique. there are now entire franchise fandoms based solely off the satisfaction of being a contrarian about them online

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

one thing i've learned from following leslie — do NOT call him a "contrarian." it elicits the same reaction as calling marty mcfly "chicken"

poo poo he'll probably find this and rant about it on twitter i've already said too much

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Srice posted:

when the suicide squad came out a few months back james gunn re-litigated the scorsese thing again and said that scorsese only hates marvel movies for the attention, dude is totally bitchmade

comic book movie people are this personified:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

also I can fully criticize or poo poo on something while simultaneously enjoying it, it doesn’t have to be a binary

is Wild Wild West one of the dumbest most ridiculous movies of all time? absolutely. do I enjoy when Will Smith and Kenneth Branagh do problematic jokes at each other? buddy I’m giggling just thinking about it

I had a lot of problems with Dune but I still enjoyed my experience, that’s why I gave it an above average rating

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Is it better to watch Dune or The French Dispatch first? To really get the full experience?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i like the sound guns in lynch's dune and wow is that ever a hot take in nerd circles

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sygANDEHDec

time to get your own kingo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

burger Kingo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wes Anderson's Children of Dune

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

indigi posted:

burger Kingo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

I read the books and watched the tv miniseries 'frank Herbert's dune' (which is p good!) before I watched Dune and I thought it ruled :shrug:

Then I saw DUNC, and enjoyed it! But my ranking is still the same

indigi posted:

also I can fully criticize or poo poo on something while simultaneously enjoying it, it doesn’t have to be a binary

is Wild Wild West one of the dumbest most ridiculous movies of all time? absolutely. do I enjoy when Will Smith and Kenneth Branagh do problematic jokes at each other? buddy I’m giggling just thinking about it

I had a lot of problems with Dune but I still enjoyed my experience, that’s why I gave it an above average rating

:hai:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Even Hulk and Contact got edited by DoD

The DoD is covering up the Dark Forest

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
there's a lot to love about lynch dune, and those gems are easier to spot when you can compare it against a newer take on the material

the harkonnens in lynch dune are great. the sandworms actually look pretty good. lynch actually gets through the entire book and it mostly makes sense, although it requires a *lot* of voiceover. as previously mentioned, the guild navigator is a gem.

on the other hand, the shields look very bad. the sound guns are very silly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aglet56 posted:

there's a lot to love about lynch dune, and those gems are easier to spot when you can compare it against a newer take on the material

the harkonnens in lynch dune are great. the sandworms actually look pretty good. lynch actually gets through the entire book and it mostly makes sense, although it requires a *lot* of voiceover. as previously mentioned, the guild navigator is a gem.

on the other hand, the shields look very bad. the sound guns are very silly

all i remember about the lynch version is he tried to hit a bunch of homeruns. some worked (harkonnens, guild navigator), some were strikeouts ( weirding module)

also i really should watch the 3 movies of his that i haven't, since i've seen the bottom 5 on that goonlist but only 2 of the top 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

also i really should watch the 3 movies of his that i haven't, since i've seen the bottom 5 on that goonlist but only 2 of the top 5

which haven't you seen