Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The endings for Man of Medan and the sequel Little Hope were respectively it's all hallucinations due to gas exposure and it's all hallucinations due to PTSD. I personally think that for that sense Man of Medan was the less egregious one although the story was weaker in other areas, since all the people that died did actually die from real stuff.

Personally I still think the games still hold up even with the Dumb Twist, they are still decent stories up until then. But yeah the third and most recent one had the devs go "we swear it's all real this time" and followed through.

They didn't do that, they did what all badly written horror series do (ending spoiler) they ripped off someone else, in this case Ridley Scott :v

I skipped the second game because I heard that the core idea behind the ending was very similar to the first. Guess I'll give the third one a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Lifeglug posted:

New Phasmophobia update is out now:

https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?119

Adds a bunch of stuff, new ghosts, new map, halloween stuff in the waiting room, and in maps, but brings some interesting additions.

Had a bit of a play around, found some easter eggs in the new map, also the new weather can really gently caress you up in the new map if you get fog. Also they've limited hiding spots on harder difficulty by putting in objects, boxes, furniture, etc, in the way, of hiding spots, or locking lockers at higher difficulties.

Good fun, looking forward to playing it with my usual group this week.

Fingerprints only lasting a minute is a cool idea. Looking forward to dying in nightmare difficulty after I heckle someone getting killed, but the ghost is still hunting. I really like the idea of fewer hiding spaces. It's way more fun scramble around and loop the ghost while you're trying to get to a safe spot than just walking to the next room and staying quiet for a minute. I'm looking forward to playing this tonight and dying a lot.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

Fingerprints only lasting a minute is a cool idea. Looking forward to dying in nightmare difficulty after I heckle someone getting killed, but the ghost is still hunting. I really like the idea of fewer hiding spaces. It's way more fun scramble around and loop the ghost while you're trying to get to a safe spot than just walking to the next room and staying quiet for a minute. I'm looking forward to playing this tonight and dying a lot.

I’m still very much a product of the old phasmophobia days where you couldn’t hide behind furniture and stuff so i’m struggling to not get killed literally every hunt on nightmare. I need to git gud.

The ghosts are now all faster too so there’s that. I do like that hunts are now shorter, but get longer the more people die.

All in all i’m liking the new changes right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There still needs to be something for dead players to do. Let them make noises to alert players to information like fingerprints or cold temps, let them see when the ghost is about to hunt so they can warn their teammates to get out or hide, that sort of thing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CuddleCryptid posted:

The endings for Man of Medan.... it's all hallucinations due to gas exposure

It's still wild to me that this was apparently one of the "big twists" of the game, because my partner and I figured it out within the first few minutes. O.o We kept going "So, is there more to it than this? ...No? Okay...."

We weren't sure if we were just smart, or if it wasn't meant to be a twist at all. I guess the devs seemed to think it was the former!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Read After Burning posted:

It's still wild to me that this was apparently one of the "big twists" of the game, because my partner and I figured it out within the first few minutes. O.o We kept going "So, is there more to it than this? ...No? Okay...."

We weren't sure if we were just smart, or if it wasn't meant to be a twist at all. I guess the devs seemed to think it was the former!

The intro gave it away but the mystery was more if the stuff was just weird chemical stuff or cursed ghost stuff.

It took me a bit to realize that the monsters are your buddies and honestly I kind of metagamed it and went "they are sure giving me a lot of lingering choices whether I kill the monsters or not"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

The intro gave it away but the mystery was more if the stuff was just weird chemical stuff or cursed ghost stuff.

It took me a bit to realize that the monsters are your buddies and honestly I kind of metagamed it and went "they are sure giving me a lot of lingering choices whether I kill the monsters or not"

We immediately prioritized any options with gas masks or accessing fresh air, and I don't remember that method ever biting us in the rear end.

I absolutely adored (Man of Medan setpiece spoiler) the creepy sailor girl....absolute queen. :colbert:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Morpheus posted:

There still needs to be something for dead players to do. Let them make noises to alert players to information like fingerprints or cold temps, let them see when the ghost is about to hunt so they can warn their teammates to get out or hide, that sort of thing.

they should just to be able to make ghost farts so then you can see it with the thermal camera or see the stink clouds

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wish I was interested in Phasmophobia but like, identify the ghost and leave feels so cut short of a thing to me, I want to identify them and then have to exorcise or contain them by different means, anything like that.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

theres a phasmophobia clone that manages to be even more janky and full of asset store stuff called like ghost hunter corp or something where you do that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

0 rows returned posted:

theres a phasmophobia clone that manages to be even more janky and full of asset store stuff called like ghost hunter corp or something where you do that

drat I was hoping that was about the ghost farts post instead of the one after it :sigh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I really wish I was interested in Phasmophobia but like, identify the ghost and leave feels so cut short of a thing to me, I want to identify them and then have to exorcise or contain them by different means, anything like that.

I was surprised the game blew up when I found out you don't do that.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

sorry mcmansion owner, its going to cost you more than 10 dollars a person for exorcising the ghost we identified

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think between the optional objectives and pictures, there's enough to do per round. Anything more risks getting out of the 15-30 minute sweet spot per game. If the game expected you to stick around longer, they would have to rework how fast your sanity drops. I hate when I have games where the ghost is constantly hunting, and you can't do anything but hide.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I didn't know Layers of Fear had a special event built into it! Apparently they did it last year too, but I rarely check that section of the Steam news feed (no idea if this is on consoles as well)

quote:

Brave the Depths of the Mansion
Unlock the basement and commune with the spirits in Layers of Fear, now through 11/30.
"Come, little darlings
and hear the tale
of three curious children
Bobby, Sue, and Gale..."

Start a new game of Layers of Fear 10/29 through 11/30 and you may notice a new drawing in the entryway of the mansion. Follow the pages to uncover a story about three children who discover a sinister spirit board and learn to be careful what they wish for.

Should you follow the children and brave the depths of the Mansion this Halloween, you'll be able to enter a room that's been locked for a very good reason. In this room lies a spirit board, not unlike the one from the drawings.

If you are feeling particularly brave, you can use the planchette to try your hand at communing with the spirits. Depending on the message you send, you may uncover secrets beyond reason or summon a memory best forgotten.

Unsure of what message to send? Some tell tales of ghoulish apparitions and strange rooms.

Might be okay! (Just like the base game, am I right? :v: )

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Agent Escalus posted:

I didn't know Layers of Fear had a special event built into it! Apparently they did it last year too, but I rarely check that section of the Steam news feed (no idea if this is on consoles as well)

Might be okay! (Just like the base game, am I right? :v: )

This sounds pretty cool. Their games usually have like 5-10 good minutes of weird poo poo so I'm down.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Morpheus posted:

There's a game called Forewarned, about people raiding Egyptian tombs, that incorporates a little of this. It's actually pretty interesting looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewd1O9rh2D4&t=38s

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone play Phasmophobia in VR and know how to stop sprinting on index controllers? Because it's a constant experience of needing to carefully tilt the stick to not move too fast and have my character slow down and start panting every 5 seconds.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Fatal Frame 5 remaster should be dropping tonight. It’s my least favorite of the series but I am nonetheless looking forward to a revisit with better visuals, performance, and controls. At least I would hope that’s the case given it’s a PS5 version I’ll be playing.

Hell, I’m thrilled the series is getting any attention at all over here, and I hope this release is successful enough to get more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

man nurse posted:

The Fatal Frame 5 remaster should be dropping tonight. It’s my least favorite of the series but I am nonetheless looking forward to a revisit with better visuals, performance, and controls. At least I would hope that’s the case given it’s a PS5 version I’ll be playing.

Hell, I’m thrilled the series is getting any attention at all over here, and I hope this release is successful enough to get more.

How does it hold up for people who haven't played it before? I liked the third (?) game for what it was but never played Maiden. All I heard about it is that it's a lot more level based and also that it was weirdly horny.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's probably the worst but I still enjoyed playing the WiiU version last year, I'll pick it up in the hopes they do the others.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
in devotion, why are the kids birthday candles 44 999? is that some taiwanese thing

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Relin posted:

in devotion, why are the kids birthday candles 44 999? is that some taiwanese thing

4 is considered unlucky, because its pronunciation is very close to the one for death. You'll sometimes see buildings in countries where this is the case (quite a few areas in the region share this) who don't have any floor numbers that end in 4. I don't know about the 999 thing, but 44 is basically the...East Asian equivalent of like 1313 or such.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does it hold up for people who haven't played it before? I liked the third (?) game for what it was but never played Maiden. All I heard about it is that it's a lot more level based and also that it was weirdly horny.

It's fun but not really scary and it's on the Dead or Alive engine so yeah, weirdly horny. I actually liked the story enough or would have if it weren't for one specific scene in particular.

I'm hoping it does well enough for Koei-Tecmo to remaster the other, better games in the series and finally bring 4 over in some form as that game is Japan exclusive.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So I picked up the Project Zero : Maiden of Black Water and so far it seems fine. I only finished the fourth chapter but it seems like a competent enough survival horror game and maybe I'm jaded or it gets worse later/with the unlockble costumes but I expected it to be way skeevier based on what I've heard about it. I've heard it overLl supposed to be bad, does it poo poo the bed later or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, it's a decent game that's unfortunately not as good as its prequels and only five people played because it was a WiiU exclusive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OooOOoOoOoooooO

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How does it handle the costumes? I assume they remove the Nintendo exclusive ones but do they restore the teeny tiny bikini?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Nintendo ones, more bikinis

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I've been reading that the port is atrocious on PC, like no mouse support and the game speed being tied to monitor refresh rate and poo poo, are y'all playing it on console?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lifeglug posted:

I've been reading that the port is atrocious on PC, like no mouse support and the game speed being tied to monitor refresh rate and poo poo, are y'all playing it on console?

PC, it's a pretty typical Koei Tecmo port(so bare minimum), but runs fine at 60 fps with a controller.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the biggest issue with the game is this:

These are the default amounts of healing items every chapter starts you with, you're never in any danger of dying unless you deliberately limit yourself to how many you can use and you have to beat the game to unlock any difficulties above Normal.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just finished up a playthrough of Dead Space Extraction, it's a shame that not enough people played the best light gun game ever made. The game play mechanics translate perfectly into the arcadey style of play. My only gripe was that a lot of the powerups were blink and you'll miss it quick, so I was constantly spamming the telekinesis outside of combat.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For what it's worth, KT have responded that they'll patch the framerate issue and keyboard and mouse issues in but yeah it's not an amazing port.

al-azad posted:

How does it handle the costumes? I assume they remove the Nintendo exclusive ones but do they restore the teeny tiny bikini?

Removed the Nintendo ones but also didn't restore the old bikinis, added a whole bunch of new costumes. There are bikini costumes but they're different from the old ones.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's fun but not really scary and it's on the Dead or Alive engine so yeah, weirdly horny. I actually liked the story enough or would have if it weren't for one specific scene in particular.

I don't mind spoilers; what is the scene you're referring to? I couldn't tell if you meant you didn't like a particular scene because of story reasons, or because it was problematic in some way (pervy, etc.).

(Please use spoiler bars for the sake of the other folks in this thread, of course!)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

I don't mind spoilers; what is the scene you're referring to? I couldn't tell if you meant you didn't like a particular scene because of story reasons, or because it was problematic in some way (pervy, etc.).

(Please use spoiler bars for the sake of the other folks in this thread, of course!)

It's mostly story reasons. Miu's parents are uh... squicky, especially if you played the earlier games in the series. But if you just remove that reveal but keep everything else, I honestly reckon it's a stronger story than fan favorite Fatal Frame 2 which I always felt was a bit overrated and fell flat to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol I forgot about that

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Huh, what's this about? I've played the previous games in the series (or at least 1 and 2), what could be so b-

OH, OKAY. :stonk:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yup.

It's uh. It's certainly a thing.

But I like everything else about the story though. Mainly because the curse of the mountain gets lifted by Yuri showing Ose the same compassion that Hisoka showed Yuri, during a time Yuri was suicidal and tried to take her own life. It's a nice message about how even a little kindness towards a stranger can go a long way. It's just a shame that it's bundled with...that reveal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just finished up a playthrough of Dead Space Extraction, it's a shame that not enough people played the best light gun game ever made. The game play mechanics translate perfectly into the arcadey style of play. My only gripe was that a lot of the powerups were blink and you'll miss it quick, so I was constantly spamming the telekinesis outside of combat.

Oh hot drat, that game was pretty great even with a normal PS3 controller :)