Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah he was the ships clown on the shittiest crew in the empire

Most honorable! It takes great bravery to bring laughter to those who will soon be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Farscape did the "warrior father/son" thing better, not great, but better.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am watching Enterprise for thefirst time and it is apparent that Braga or Brennan likes Asian. On almost every episode so far which involves Hoshi in a major role, she had been practically or literally naked at some point.

Also, they really liked recycling scripts; during the 30-so episodes there had been an embarassing amount of "Someone, usually Archer gets captured" or "Enterprise is taken over" episodes. Hell, they even did "Trip gets marooned" and "all but one crewmember is incapacitated" twice in the first 30 episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burning_Monk posted:

Farscape did the "warrior father/son" thing better, not great, but better.

Imagine your son sleeping with your girlfriend so you decide to slowly die by holding your breath outside the ship for two hours while an earth man who only speaks in movie references tries to calm you down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I am watching Enterprise for thefirst time and it is apparent that Braga or Brennan likes Asian. On almost every episode so far which involves Hoshi in a major role, she had been practically or literally naked at some point.

Every major character ends up mostly naked at some point for the decon gel

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Danaru posted:

Keiko owns actually, and is one of the few people who just dead-rear end told Winn to blow it out her rear end

Yeah Keiko is fine. Like she is kind of mad her career got ruined because her husband took a promotion that forced them to move. That's a pretty normal and OK reaction in my mind.

I do think Keiko and O'Brien were not a good fit for each other. But that doesn't mean Keiko is the problem. It doesn't mean O'Brien is the problem. They just weren't a good fit.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

... And at least four ENT episodes are basically remixes of earlier ones, either TNG or DS9. I think that on the first one and half seasons there are less than 15 episodes which are not rehashes or repeats with an obvious plot twists.

The automated space station episode was cool though.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 27, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah Keiko is fine. Like she is kind of mad her career got ruined because her husband took a promotion that forced them to move. That's a pretty normal and OK reaction in my mind.

I do think Keiko and O'Brien were not a good fit for each other. But that doesn't mean Keiko is the problem. It doesn't mean O'Brien is the problem. They just weren't a good fit.

that's just because they were only two pieces of a three-piece puzzle, just missing a kira shaped piece

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Every major character ends up mostly naked at some point for the decon gel

Yeah, but in addition of that Hoshi does that handbra thing in S1, and takes an actual shower in the S2 transporter episode.

It also seems that Starfleet survival guide also tells you to take your clothes off, avoid shade, and sunbathe while walking across the desert during daytime.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Der Kyhe posted:

Also, they really liked recycling scripts; during the 30-so episodes there had been an embarassing amount of "Someone, usually Archer gets captured" or "Enterprise is taken over" episodes. Hell, they even did "Trip gets marooned" and "all but one crewmember is incapacitated" twice in the first 30 episodes.
Braga has since admitted that he was super burned out after helming Voyager and should not have taken the Enterprise job

Which you can see with the quality of what shows up on Enterprise for the first two seasons, in particular.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

blatman posted:

that's just because they were only two pieces of a three-piece puzzle, just missing a kira shaped piece

rom you mean

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The wank bait was all Berman. He only hired Linda Park after being told he couldn't actually ask for "a busty Asian".

E: Also very racist to Garrett Wang

Dabir fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 28, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

"all but one crewmember is incapacitated" twice in the first 30 episodes.

That's a great plot though. Can't go wrong

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Trip running around in boxer briefs fighting Jeffrey Combs and Ethan Phillips owned

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There is new star track today, for kids.

I'm gonna watch it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

External Organs posted:

There is new star track today, for kids.

I'm gonna watch it.

It’s good

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

It’s good

Other recent shows has me thinking, maybe the good Star Trek was always for kids? :thunk:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Other recent shows has me thinking, maybe the good Star Trek was always for kids? :thunk:

Yeah probably

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Don't know about being for kids, but IMHO Star Trek tends to get better when it eases off on the grimdark "everything goes from bad to worse all the time"-attitude that seems pervasive to every new TV-show since 90's. Especially on the prestige shows that Star Trek before LDS always was.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Trek is a show for bookish preteens to watch and think they're grappling with big adult concepts

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek is a show for bookish preteens to watch and think they're grappling with big adult concepts

"I identify with this Vulcan going through a tragically uncool pon far. Thank you Star Trek"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

yeah, that was my experience too. thanks, tng!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that reminds me about how the cat i had as a kid was, like most cats, completely indifferent to television. the one exception was when data was on the screen. that fuckin' cat loved data!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that reminds me about how the cat i had as a kid was, like most cats, completely indifferent to television. the one exception was when data was on the screen. that fuckin' cat loved data!

I had a cat who didn't care about TV except for when A) My Name Is Earl was on and B) zombie scenes from The Walking Dead.

The second a zombie gasped on the TV, he'd run from the other room, sit on the table, watch raptly, then wander off as soon as the scene was over.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Same except it was the Enterprise in the opening credits.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Okay I’m watching A Piece of the Action and Kirk doesn’t know how to drive a car but in JJTrek Young Kirk clearly has driving experience so therefore JJTrek officially sucks it’s over it’s done that’s the final word

edit: I have been informed that there were some time travel alterations, I regret the error

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Would have been forever ago. He forget how.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Young Kirk drove it off a cliff, he didn't know what he was doing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
star trek is primetime tv slop for squealing american piggies sometimes it has cool scifi elements though

edit: just watched an episode of star trek enterprise that tried to be seven samurai vs the klingon. it was slop

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 29, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Endless Trash posted:

Okay I’m watching A Piece of the Action and Kirk doesn’t know how to drive a car but in JJTrek Young Kirk clearly has driving experience so therefore JJTrek officially sucks it’s over it’s done that’s the final word

edit: I have been informed that there were some time travel alterations, I regret the error

In A Piece of the Action it was a manual wasn't it? Idk if it was an automatic in JJTrek but that would go a long way to explaining it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That cat sure knew how to Spot 'em!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Winifred Madgers posted:

In A Piece of the Action it was a manual wasn't it? Idk if it was an automatic in JJTrek but that would go a long way to explaining it.

Also in the JJ universe he was often partly raised by his uncle who owned said classic car while in the prime universe he had his dad so it's not hard to justify this all.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

kirk's uncle, now that's a story. weird dweeby red pill drug addict just loving losing himself in the machismo of the 20th century, replicating cars and pinball machines, always comparing his failed relationships to some sitcom he is the only person alive to see, winds up with this punkass kid of his brother that he clearly can't take care of one bit that just reminds him how loving old and sick and alone and scared he feels all the loving time

yeah that's the poo poo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Kirk takes him on a tour of the Enterprise and he falls into a time hole and winds back in the 1980s and he loving slays, he's an amazing at the entire thing - all that weird business poo poo that doesn't exist any more in C23, he has real friends for the first time, is confident and successful with the ladies. and kirk has to drag him away kicking and screaming because he's loving up the entire future. but it's killing Kirk because this guy who raised him is finally happy and he knows when he goes back it will be worse because he'll know, for a fact, he was born in the wrong century. kirk evenutally has to phaser him, makes bones give him an implant in his liver that makes sure he physically can't OD and sends him home to try to come to terms with it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
First episode of Prodigy was OK, but once again I'm struggling to think of any aspect of it that felt like Trek. Very much had the look and pace and vibe of all the recent 'Star Wars' animated shows, e.g. Resistance, Rebels, etc. The villains especially had that vibe. Also reminded me of a show my kid used to like called 'Miles From Tomorrowland'. At least it was well done? Didn't actively offend me with its existence the way 'Discovery' did from practically the first moment.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

That cat sure knew how to Spot 'em!

I will acknowledge this even if the other posters wont, because they are cowards.

They're too busy defending JJTrek for some stupid reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks! Consider donating to my paypal.me to support great trekposting

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

chaosbreather posted:

kirk's uncle, now that's a story. weird dweeby red pill drug addict just loving losing himself in the machismo of the 20th century, replicating cars and pinball machines, always comparing his failed relationships to some sitcom he is the only person alive to see, winds up with this punkass kid of his brother that he clearly can't take care of one bit that just reminds him how loving old and sick and alone and scared he feels all the loving time

yeah that's the poo poo

Tom Paris is Kirk’s uncle?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chaosbreather posted:

Kirk takes him on a tour of the Enterprise and he falls into a time hole and winds back in the 1980s and he loving slays, he's an amazing at the entire thing - all that weird business poo poo that doesn't exist any more in C23, he has real friends for the first time, is confident and successful with the ladies. and kirk has to drag him away kicking and screaming because he's loving up the entire future. but it's killing Kirk because this guy who raised him is finally happy and he knows when he goes back it will be worse because he'll know, for a fact, he was born in the wrong century. kirk evenutally has to phaser him, makes bones give him an implant in his liver that makes sure he physically can't OD and sends him home to try to come to terms with it

Sounds like a good candidate for the Kurn Maneuver. Erase his entire memory and ship him off to live with some other family and then he's not your problem anymore. So simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

kurn your enthusiasm