Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1453451710056177671

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
RIP ROH, really thought you'd outlast Impact.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"We're not cancelled, we just can't afford to pay anyone anymore and they're free to leave at any time. Please don't ask about the implications of future talent we may want to attract. Definitely not cancelled."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fart Radio posted:

RIP ROH i was at a show once where a fan yanked the book of truth away from truth martini and made security chase him around the building

rip ROH i finally got to go to a show with a comp from Sinclair when I worked there before I got laid off during the pandemic... and before ROH got laid off during the pandemic apparently.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

so much buzz

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

RIP ROH. Thanks for the shows I attended way back when; that was some really great wrestling.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RIP ROH, I'll always fondly remember taking the 6-hour train to NYC so I could see crazy poo poo like Danielson/Morishima and that time Nigel got his face exploded on the steel railing when (I think) Austin Aries did a suicide dive into his back. And also sitting in the station overnight trying not to fall asleep waiting for the first bus of the morning to go back home when shows would go long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's sad, I wish Final Battle wasn't in Baltimore or I might go, even if it might be the lowest effort show ever put on.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Imparter_Conor/status/1453451732328062986?s=19

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

RIP ROH, I remember going to one of their shows in 2008 and saw a fan take a swing at Austin Aries that one time. That fan was doing the Lord's work that night.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RIP ROH, my dad liked you and that was enough to kill you.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RIP ROH, thank you for letting me see so many NJPW stars live.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Thank you ROH for letting me see Generico and Steen live. Your hype package for it really sold me on buying a ticket.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Please don't let CZW outlive ROH. Cause that aint right.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ThePariah posted:

RIP ROH, really thought you'd outlast Impact.

I mean, they did outlast TNA.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/DJWeedPizza/status/1453453290277060610?t=JVbdGGgDZfMZl7_vVFrEmg&s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Benne posted:

Probably not a big surprise given I had to dig back 3 pages to find this thread, but still

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1453442439696601090?t=fTtGnA0VPnOC3b0wY9ldPA&s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RIP ROH

Thank you for giving me the Age of the Fall debut where Jimmy Jacobs talked for almost six minutes under a hanging-upside-down profusely-bleeding Briscoe until his all-white outfit was completely drenched in the blood. Still one of my favorite moments

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Are we all assuming the "we'll return in April" thing is BS and ROH is legit done forever? That'd be sad, even though ROH was a boring hearing aid commercial for a while there.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If ROH does come back in April it's probably a shoestring budget type deal with taping blocks of indie talent like MLW.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Are we all assuming the "we'll return in April" thing is BS and ROH is legit done forever? That'd be sad, even though ROH was a boring hearing aid commercial for a while there.

I'm personally going to assume ROH is as dead as HHH at this point :gibs::rip::pressf:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Poor Mike Bennett lol

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I could see OGK with Maria getting picked up by Impact

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chris James 2 posted:

RIP ROH

Thank you for giving me the Age of the Fall debut where Jimmy Jacobs talked for almost six minutes under a hanging-upside-down profusely-bleeding Briscoe until his all-white outfit was completely drenched in the blood. Still one of my favorite moments

That was an immensely hosed up aesthetic in the best way.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

rip. nothing will touch a run like roh 05-08 again when it comes to indies

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wonder if Final Battle will have any cameos by CM Punk, Danielson, Hero, or whatever. Would be a nice send off.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
hey speaking of which whatever happened to hero after he got fired? the only time i see him is when he tweets about basketball every so often

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1453476062294315008?s=21

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Hellblazer187 posted:

It might survive in some form, I think Sinclair still values them as cheap in-house content. But the days of guaranteed contracts are almost certainly over.

ROH sold literally zero tickets for almost 2 years while paying big money to guys sitting at home, at some point the higher-ups were going to look at the balance sheet and go "what are we doing here"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fart Radio posted:

hey speaking of which whatever happened to hero after he got fired? the only time i see him is when he tweets about basketball every so often

He had apparently been working backstage as a producer for ROH.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ROH 2.0

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

squid game but with wrestlers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

1glitch0 posted:

The Final Final Battle.

I've always thought ROH was a bad fit for Sinclair. Will be interesting to see how the contracts work out.

Time to sell the tape library to Tony, IMO. With his AEW library deal with TimeWarner this could be a very good thing for everyone.

edit: Okay wow that's how the contracts worked out. poo poo.

Right now Sinclair is not a good fit for Sinclair. Buying the regional sports networks has them spinning down the drain. I feel like they own too much stuff to collapse completely but they are probably gonna look pretty different a year from now.

Benne posted:

It might survive in some form, I think Sinclair still values them as cheap in-house content. But the days of guaranteed contracts are almost certainly over.

ROH sold literally zero tickets for almost 2 years while paying big money to guys sitting at home, at some point the higher-ups were going to look at the balance sheet and go "what are we doing here"

If anything the ROH as a brand they own is pretty safe because Sinclair is having trouble affording content for their network. Although then again if they can sell it they might not have much choice.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2021

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009
What are the chances Sinclair just uses the historical tape library as content for its networks? It's got twenty years of material in the can. I know it has been said they view as ROH as cheap content, but is there more value for them now in simply rerunning the archival content rather than making the cost outlays to film new shows?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Q7kid posted:

What are the chances Sinclair just uses the historical tape library as content for its networks? It's got twenty years of material in the can. I know it has been said they view as ROH as cheap content, but is there more value for them now in simply rerunning the archival content rather than making the cost outlays to film new shows?

I'm honestly surprised they aren't already doing it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Isn't there a bunch of editing they would have to do for the archival footage?

How much of ROH's golden age is on Honor Club? It's pretty sparse iirc

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DM Punk posted:

I wonder if Final Battle will have any cameos by CM Punk, Danielson, Hero, or whatever. Would be a nice send off.

It'd honestly be a nice way to bring things full circle if they booked Low Ki/Daniels/Danielson at Final Battle

I mean, I know that Low Ki is a complete arsehole, but even he should be willing to do one more ROH match in case ROH doesn't come back

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I cannot believe TNA somehow outlived Ring of Honor but here we are

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Drakkel posted:

I cannot believe TNA somehow outlived Ring of Honor but here we are

I can't believe the ROH wrestling school lasted 20 years and produced zero talent and yet the CZW school produced several straight up generational superstars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Man that's a bummer. I need to go dig up the old external hard drive that has all my DVD rips. ROH was so hot until like... 2008 or so? I think the whole faction warfare plan falling apart was probably the beginning of a slow decline. That and never taking the leap forward and investing significantly in production quality around the time they were going into PPV. The in-house speakers cracking as the ring announcer called out The American Dragon, Bryan... Danielsoooooon was cute for a while, but it must have looked bush league for the broader audience that ROH was seeking out.