Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Meanwhile the us news thread seems to operate just fine when everyone is threadshitting here instead of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Meanwhile the us news thread seems to operate just fine when everyone is threadshitting here instead of there.

Dismissing criticism as threadshitting really loving sucks especially when you have consistently been among the worst posters in this thread when it comes to things like making up what you think other people mean with their posts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Shortest Path posted:

Dismissing criticism as threadshitting really loving sucks especially when you have consistently been among the worst posters in this thread when it comes to things like making up what you think other people mean with their posts.

A hit dog will holler

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

The graphs are good yeah, more of those. Would like to reiterate that I was disappointed to hear that all those probe reasons got pulled but we didn't get a word cloud, which is the standard bearer of reliability in data science as I understand it.

poo poo please

e: if we can get a list together of all the paywall-filtered words, i can do a quick find/replace on the source file. I'm also excluding the following words, which can be appended: "post", "thread","posting", "user put", "poster", "USER PUT ", "probation", " USER PUT", " USER PUT "

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 27, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I actually read Jeffrey's post was above all else "don't be an aggro rear end in a top hat to people you don't agree with".

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd add "A summary and your opinion on the article/video and the subject covered".

If we're not going as far as banning Twitter, I'd reiterate an earlier suggestion I've made in QCS: You're responsible for your twitter links. That means the content in the twitter is treated like yours, so if it's deleted you can get dinged for a post with no content, if it's misrepresenting an article (this includes headlines of the article itself being misrepresentative) then you get dinged for that, and if it's some racist/sexist/ableist poo poo you're on the hook for that too. Unless of course you take the time to actually address all those possible issues, that is, laying out why you're linking that tweet.

I think I suggested this as well in one of the older feedback threads. Posting Twitter links should be a strict liability activity: you post it you own it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo please

This is also why I am here

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Maybe.

I have some positive suggestions as well, I just haven't had the time to sit down and compose them but I will.

But since a Current Affairs thread had been suggested a few times on the last few pages, I just wanted to point out this was tried and it turned out even the people who asked for it didn't end up enjoying it and eventually abandoned it and forgot it was even there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A hit dog will holler

I take it you are one of the people no longer threadshitting in us news

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

you have consistently been among the worst posters in this thread when it comes to things like making up what you think other people mean with their posts.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A hit dog will holler

:ironicat:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A hit dog will holler

The loving irony of you posting this after what I said at the bottom of the previous page is something else.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe.

I have some positive suggestions as well, I just haven't had the time to sit down and compose them but I will.

But since a Current Affairs thread had been suggested a few times on the last few pages, I just wanted to point out this was tried and it turned out even the people who asked for it didn't end up enjoying it and eventually abandoned it and forgot it was even there.

There's nothing wrong with the current format. The changes need to be in how it is moderated and how much people poo poo it up with whinging about forums drama and their probations.

If we can please just ban rape apologia, genocide denial, and other really horrible poo poo, then just appropriately use the probation function when things get out of hand things would be fine .

Also reporting should be a self probe.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo please

e: if we can get a list together of all the paywall-filtered words, i can do a quick find/replace on the source file. I'm also excluding the following words, which can be appended: "post", "thread","posting", "user put", "poster", "USER PUT", "probation"

If it's possible it'd be cool to make "poo poo post" its own word

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

The crux of my argument has been that it is not over moderation but wrongly applied moderation. People who make assholish posts but disguise it in thousands of words of tedious garbage get off scott free but people who get that directed at them several times clap back with something much less long and tedious, and only the latter gets punished. This happens several times and the poster gets ramped and increasingly frustrated and once that's in their history everything they say becomes instantly dismissed as being from an "aggro poster" until they either stop posting on their own or get forumbanned.

The culture is insanely toxic and bad and the people who don't see it are often part of the problem.

What does "making an assholish post but disguising it in thousands of words of tedious garbage" look like? How is it distinct from "disagreeing with the OP, responding to the OP in depth, and asking the OP to provide sources for their arguments?"

Like, I get being frustrated with the former, but I also see a lot of posters get frustrated with the latter and I am not sure how mods are supposed to tell the difference in all but the most egregious cases.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Aegis posted:

What does "making an assholish post but disguising it in thousands of words of tedious garbage" look like? How is it distinct from "disagreeing with the OP, responding to the OP in depth, and asking the OP to provide sources for their arguments?"

Like, I get being frustrated with the former, but I also see a lot of posters get frustrated with the latter and I am not sure how mods are supposed to tell the difference in all but the most egregious cases.

Someone post the fishmech short story for him to understand

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Somewhat unrelated but going off the word cloud — I think sentiment analysis is largely bullshit, but it would be cool to see statistics on post length and word choice split by user agent, if that’s technically possible (probably not without database access; but if things are the same as when radium banned someone because they used WebTV, that data is probably recorded ). I’m not certain but I suspect there would be differences in posting style , frequency, and so on among mobile and desktop posters. (My hunch is that mobile promotes more posts, more aggression, more Twitter and filler content.)

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 27, 2021

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

your grudges aside, we've been trying to recruit mods from outside the us and/or the us threads (and/or aren't cismale, for that matter) and met with little success

turns out the pool of people who both would accept modship and wouldn't be obviously terrible isn't infinite

you think that the reason why youre met with "littlre success" in recruiting non-Uspol mods, is because the pool of people willing to "work with you" is dry. i do wonder why this is so

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think it's a reasonable statement that even if the entire mod team was purged, the majority of posters reactions to being asked to be a D&D mod would be "no. haha gently caress no lol".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

enki42 posted:

I think it's a reasonable statement that even if the entire mod team was purged, the majority of posters reactions to being asked to be a D&D mod would be "no. haha gently caress no lol".

yeah it's this. what is the upside to accepting that offer for literally anyone?

yes you get to volunteer your free time and in return you get... what exactly? other than a big target of course

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

lollontee posted:

you think that the reason why youre met with "littlre success" in recruiting non-Uspol mods, is because the pool of people willing to "work with you" is dry. i do wonder why this is so

A whole lot of them have expressed a fear of harassment actually.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

enki42 posted:

I think it has something to do with the fact that the only mod that doesn't get quite a bit of flack is the one that's been dead for a decade.

It seems to be a thankless job that isn't worth it because of the treatment by other posters. You guys act like GJB and CGR are as bad as someone like r guyavich who just went on forum purges of his posting enemies

If I was a mod I would probe all of the harassing posts that hide behind a thin vernier of concern.

Like hell if I would actually be one though.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 27, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Look, to save D&D they must become the Anitlei. That's why the mods here are working their assess off, throwing out bans I guess because they can't keep their cool.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah it's this. what is the upside to accepting that offer for literally anyone?

yes you get to volunteer your free time and in return you get... what exactly?

-Excellent salary and benefits
-Beloved and respected by most posters
-Ability to change avatars for free
-Access to reports and mod forums which are where all the really good SA content is

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think it has something to do with the fact that the only mod that doesn't get quite a bit of flack is the one that's been dead for a decade.

It seems to be a thankless job that isn't worth it because of the treatment by other posters. You guys act like GJB and CGR are as bad as someone like r guyavich who just went on forum purges of his posting enemies.

there's also ardennes who, at current count, hasn't posted in dnd in like 3 months, which is par for the course for him lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's also ardennes who, at current count, hasn't posted in dnd in like 3 months, which is par for the course for him lol

A mod should aspire to be quiet, calm, and sincere. That sounds good!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
unironically Ardennes seems like they'd be a good CSPAM mod, they seem moderately active there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fool of sound posted:

yeah the two most common refusal reasons are "I rather like not being constantly screamed at, no thanks" and "as much as my dearest dream is being constantly screamed at, I'm pretty busy irl and don't feel like I could do the job justice"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I can only imagine that a big part of that has to do with the fact that you're only looking at posters that you like. Which has been a large cause for the problem going back a few generations of mods imo.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I can only imagine that a big part of that has to do with the fact that you're only looking at posters that you like. Which has been a large cause for the problem going back a few generations of mods imo.

I thought that reframing someone else's legitimate concern to fit your argument was something you didn't like

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being a mod being an impossible task that just gets you harassed is also a long standing problem in SA that we've mostly dealt with by trying nothing and being all out of ideas. Those sort of problems really stack up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Oh that yeah, I mean crossing the same river twice tho ya know? There's no going back to pre-Trump but that's not the goal, we've gotta figure something out now, shaped by our present material circumstances. Some German guy talked about it I think. I think there's enough here to the effect of "oh but this isn't a problem in CSPAM or GBS or wherever else" is something. They aren't any more inoculated from the poisonous brew that is the wider internet after all, but there's something there that is happening. What is it, how do we make it happen here. I mean hell the UK threads seem to do just fine and their press and internet is even dumber and more psychotic than it is in the US (just my opinion)

the UK thread is small enough and communal enough that all their idiots and assholes either got run out or somehow got obsessed with US politics instead

as bad as Americans are in USPol/USNews, the Europeans who sit there posting about US politics all day are somehow even worse

other than that, fart simpson's helpful charts suggest that there is a fair bit of political assholery going on in GBS and C-SPAM

From GBS, the top two threads for mod button usage in 2021 are the Cursed images thread and the Trump thread, regardless of whether you're ranking by total probe hours or total number of probes/bans given. And the next highest GBS thread by probe hours given is their China thread.

From C-SPAM, it's pretty wild to see the Trump threads showing up in the probe rankings at all given that they're rebooted every month or two. When you see that TRUMP 1460 has only one-third of the probes that USNews does, you've gotta remember that TRUMP 1460 was closed twenty days into 2021. That's 155 probes in just under three weeks, so clearly something is going on.

Meanwhile, the D&D COVID thread has only slightly more mod action than the C-SPAM COVID thread, in both number of actions and total probe hours given.

GBS and C-SPAM politics discussion may have different problems and different reactions to those problems, but they're both generating massive amounts of probations in their political threads specifically, and I suspect the mods aren't pressing those buttons just for the fun of it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
why cant you just hand in your papers? thats what i keep wondering about, why do you want to hold on when so many people want you gone? just... why is my question

you dont seem to have any ideo how to fix any of the problems (which is you), and youre frustrated by your feedback because it seems to give you no choise but to resign. so why dont you?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the trump threads also hand out sixers because they're funny, don't read too much into it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

lollontee posted:

why cant you just hand in your papers? thats what i keep wondering about, why do you want to hold on when so many people want you gone? just... why is my question

you dont seem to have any ideo how to fix any of the problems (which is you), and youre frustrated by your feedback because it seems to give you no choise but to resign. so why dont you?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fool of sound posted:

can you post an example?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
D&D is never gonna solve the problem of the cadres of freaks who are obsessed with posting their enemies into submission by not having any mods at all

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Main Paineframe posted:

the UK thread is small enough and communal enough that all their idiots and assholes either got run out or somehow got obsessed with US politics instead

as bad as Americans are in USPol/USNews, the Europeans who sit there posting about US politics all day are somehow even worse

other than that, fart simpson's helpful charts suggest that there is a fair bit of political assholery going on in GBS and C-SPAM

From GBS, the top two threads for mod button usage in 2021 are the Cursed images thread and the Trump thread, regardless of whether you're ranking by total probe hours or total number of probes/bans given. And the next highest GBS thread by probe hours given is their China thread.

From C-SPAM, it's pretty wild to see the Trump threads showing up in the probe rankings at all given that they're rebooted every month or two. When you see that TRUMP 1460 has only one-third of the probes that USNews does, you've gotta remember that TRUMP 1460 was closed twenty days into 2021. That's 155 probes in just under three weeks, so clearly something is going on.

Meanwhile, the D&D COVID thread has only slightly more mod action than the C-SPAM COVID thread, in both number of actions and total probe hours given.

GBS and C-SPAM politics discussion may have different problems and different reactions to those problems, but they're both generating massive amounts of probations in their political threads specifically, and I suspect the mods aren't pressing those buttons just for the fun of it.

As the current Trump thread op, the vast majority of the probes originating there are not serious offenses. They're probes for posting disgusting food pics, or for food pics that aren't disgusting enough, or for hallucinogen 12-tuple posting at 3 in the morning, or being mean to buddykins, or calling cumshitter old, or saying that shnorkles isn't an absentee father who eats dog turds, for the most part. Occasionally there's something serious like the recent Alec vlog situation, but it's not really valid to point to the silliest thread in the subforum with a large volume of silly sixers as an example of how unruly CSPAM is.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
fwiw I thought Epic High Five taking a mod position seemed notable as they were very (mostly?) active in CSPAM compared to D&D/USNews. I thought one of the goals of Athanatos' nomination thread was to get more diversity on the mod squad and assumed that was part of it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

lollontee posted:

can you post an example?

lollontee posted:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah the two most common refusal reasons are "I rather like not being constantly screamed at, no thanks" and "as much as my dearest dream is being constantly screamed at, I'm pretty busy irl and don't feel like I could do the job justice"

maybe its because they dont want to be screamed at for enforcing rules they do not care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lmfao