Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pixel 5a, maybe? IP68 waterproof rating, headphone jack, good battery life, none of the third party bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Who has the best/most data/tethering/hotspot only plan, ideally no contract?

We'll be using it as stopgap coverage for remote work until fiber can be installed.

VZW has 150GB/mo for 80 if you already have a line.

Fi has 70gb if you go full premium.

Anyone else offer anything reasonable?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm on ATT's unlimited everything (unlimited data, unlimited hotspot / tether, no slowdown no matter the data usage (allegedly)) and with work discounts it's like $80ish after taxes and fees.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
That's with a contract though? I only need at most 90 days of coverage.

Right now we added the VZW Jetpack on the GF's family plan, plus checking out a TMO hotspot from the library which gives us a week of truly unlimited data whenever our hold comes up (looks like one week on one week off right now).

I'm using anywhere from 2-5GB/day with work requirements, and making a point not to spend the evenings on YouTube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's post-paid, not a contract. You can cancel it at any time without penalty.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Could one of y'all link me to the plan your referring to?
When i go to ATTs site, the only thing i find is the unlimited elite with only 40GB of tethering.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

toplitzin posted:

Could one of y'all link me to the plan your referring to?
When i go to ATTs site, the only thing i find is the unlimited elite with only 40GB of tethering.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/

Looked over my plan and looks like it is only 40 gb of tethered data, upgraded from 30 gb previously. Sorry, thought that was unlimited too.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Canadian here, specifically on Freedom (wind) mobile if that matters, and I'm looking for some recommendations.

I'm trying to find a flip phone with a t9 keyboard, bluetooth, and android capability. My uses will be texting, using these forums, occasionally using youtube (I mostly listen to youtube with the screen off), and most importantly I need to be able to use Tidal to listen to music on my bluetooth headphones.

Something that looks like this:

NOT something like this:

Trying to search myself has been fruitless, as I seem to keep finding the same 10 phones - none of which what I want. It seems like wanting to have t9 and Tidal are contradictory.

edit: I should also mention I'm fine with buying an older phone.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 22, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What are the ones you don't like? Motorola Razr?

Edit: I guess that is only a touchscreen, my bad. I'm not sure any exist

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Charles posted:

What are the ones you don't like? Motorola Razr?

Edit: I guess that is only a touchscreen, my bad. I'm not sure any exist

Yeah, razer, galazy z, etc are the ones I don't want.

It does seem like wanting t9 means it'll be attached to a phone with a dinky processor that cant run android.

If there are really good dual-screen flip smartphones, I could probably work with that (and I mean two separate screens, none of these folding screen monstrosities)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You may need to import something from Japan. Think they still have a couple. Not sure about it having the bands you need.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Uthor posted:

You may need to import something from Japan. Think they still have a couple. Not sure about it having the bands you need.

I was able to find one that is confirmed to work where I live -a 4 year old Samsung being sold for $400 lol.

Okay, new idea. I know nothing about setting up WiFi hotspots or smartwatches, is it possible for me to get one of those crap flip phones, and just use it as a mobile 'router' for the watch that will the do all the work? I'm assuming here that those smartwatches are able to run the programs I mentioned (youtube, tidal).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A couple things that come to mind: most of those t9 flip phones have at most 1 gb ram. Is that even enough to run Android + Tidal + Bluetooth etc?

And, per my understanding, the main appeal of Tidal is the lossless audio. But you're using Bluetooth headphones. I am very very skeptical that any physical key flip phone is going to support LDAC, and probably not even aptX HD. You're going to be compressing the audio down to some 16 bit mid-bitrate format like AAC ... In which case, one wonders: what's the point?

I mean, you do you, but it seems like you want two things that are diametrically opposed to each other. What's more important, ultimate audio fidelity or having a flip phone?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

A couple things that come to mind: most of those t9 flip phones have at most 1 gb ram. Is that even enough to run Android + Tidal + Bluetooth etc?

And, per my understanding, the main appeal of Tidal is the lossless audio. But you're using Bluetooth headphones. I am very very skeptical that any physical key flip phone is going to support LDAC, and probably not even aptX HD. You're going to be compressing the audio down to some 16 bit mid-bitrate format like AAC ... In which case, one wonders: what's the point?

I mean, you do you, but it seems like you want two things that are diametrically opposed to each other. What's more important, ultimate audio fidelity or having a flip phone?

I got tidal because it pays artists better than spotify. The higher quality audio is an added bonus that I enjoy when I'm on my desktop pc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I got tidal because it pays artists better than spotify. The higher quality audio is an added bonus that I enjoy when I'm on my desktop pc.

Have you thought about getting a Walkman and having a phone as a separate device?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwal4qYWgK8

Does Tidal do offline storage? I would assume any modem app would.

Apple sells iPod Touches, still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was able to find one that is confirmed to work where I live -a 4 year old Samsung being sold for $400 lol.

Okay, new idea. I know nothing about setting up WiFi hotspots or smartwatches, is it possible for me to get one of those crap flip phones, and just use it as a mobile 'router' for the watch that will the do all the work? I'm assuming here that those smartwatches are able to run the programs I mentioned (youtube, tidal).

Tidal is only supported by Apple Watches, for which you need an iPhone, and Samsung Galaxy Gear, for which you need a phone that can run the Samsung Apps app.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Fair enough. Brief search turned up something called a ZTE Cymbal Z 320, one site says it uses t9 but another says it has t12 :iiam:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Uthor posted:

Have you thought about getting a Walkman and having a phone as a separate device?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwal4qYWgK8

Does Tidal do offline storage? I would assume any modem app would.

Apple sells iPod Touches, still.

I definitely want to maintain streaming music - I've been spoiled by it. Tidal does let you save offline, but a significant amount of my listen time is pressing the "start a new playlist off of this one song" button.

Endless Mike posted:

Tidal is only supported by Apple Watches, for which you need an iPhone, and Samsung Galaxy Gear, for which you need a phone that can run the Samsung Apps app.

This is good info, thank you.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Call Verizon and ask if they have any retention offers for you. They may or may not (you can PM me for help there too if you want it).

It really would just be whether you want a Samsung S21, iPhone 13, or the pixel 5a (not available on Verizon yet).

Khizan posted:

Pixel 5a, maybe? IP68 waterproof rating, headphone jack, good battery life, none of the third party bloatware.

Thanks for the help! I was on the fence between the 5a and the iPhone 13 for a while, but I wound up going with the iPhone 13, once I figured out that a) I was on an old Unlimited plan, and could do the "trade in a broken phone" deal and b) there's a new AppleCare+ offering with loss and theft protection.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
What's the best camera on a phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack?

This isn't a full recommendation request... yet, I wanted to get an idea what's out there before specifying carrier/budget/etc.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

twerking on the railroad posted:

What's the best camera on a phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack?

This isn't a full recommendation request... yet, I wanted to get an idea what's out there before specifying carrier/budget/etc.

My guess would be the Google Pixel 5A. They take excellent photos.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, it's probably the Pixel 5a. Google's got some really good image processing software and their A-model phones tend to take pictures just as well as their flagship models.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Please help me decide if an iPhone is right for me.

Currently, I am using a CAT S31 android phone. I paid $500 for it.

I've only had it for 1.5 years and it's already crapping out on me. It's constantly warning me I'm out of storage space, despite the fact that I have almost nothing saved to my hard drive. I've tried expanding storage with SD cards, but every SD card I try the phone claims is corrupted (they work with other devices, though).

It's got to the point that I can't use my phone for much outside of streaming music from Spotify. Maps is too slow. My email won't load. I don't have any social media apps because I don't have any space. I can't use the camera because there isn't enough space. It sucks.

All that being said, this is the exact same issue I've had with every Android I've had. 1-2 years into using a phone, it starts to complain about storage space and then slowly dies.

So, this has me wondering if it would be a good idea to grab an iPhone now that the iPhone 11 has dropped in price.

All I want is a phone I can actually use for more than 1-2 years. I want to buy something that's going to be worth the money I put into it and isn't going to start giving me a headache in 12ish months.

I want to be able to take pictures, use my email use my maps, etc. without everything loving up.

Would an iPhone fit that? Or have I just picked bad Android phones up until now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An iPhone would probably be good for that, assuming you get appropriate storage. If you run low, you'll run into problems with it, too, but Apple also actually supports their phones.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dr.D-O posted:

I've only had it for 1.5 years and it's already crapping out on me. It's constantly warning me I'm out of storage space, despite the fact that I have almost nothing saved to my hard drive. I've tried expanding storage with SD cards, but every SD card I try the phone claims is corrupted (they work with other devices, though).

It's got to the point that I can't use my phone for much outside of streaming music from Spotify. Maps is too slow. My email won't load. I don't have any social media apps because I don't have any space. I can't use the camera because there isn't enough space. It sucks.

All that being said, this is the exact same issue I've had with every Android I've had. 1-2 years into using a phone, it starts to complain about storage space and then slowly dies.

So, this has me wondering if it would be a good idea to grab an iPhone now that the iPhone 11 has dropped in price.

All I want is a phone I can actually use for more than 1-2 years. I want to buy something that's going to be worth the money I put into it and isn't going to start giving me a headache in 12ish months.

I want to be able to take pictures, use my email use my maps, etc. without everything loving up.

Would an iPhone fit that? Or have I just picked bad Android phones up until now?

Have you checked in settings if there's a system update to install?

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you checked in settings if there's a system update to install?

Yes, my current phone is up-to-date.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Dr.D-O posted:

Yes, my current phone is up-to-date.

If you use Android you are basically either going to buy Pixel (4a+ or better) or buy crap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr.D-O posted:

If you’re in the US check your carrier or other carriers for iPhone promos.

Either way, iPhones are more consistent and a great option yes.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
A 3 or 4 year old android flagship or Pixel will be infinitely better than that Cat S31 was on release, but iphones are definitely better if longevity is your number one want

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to you all for your responses.

I think I will end up getting the iPhone 11.

Just not sure if I should bother with AppleCare.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Dr.D-O posted:

Thanks to you all for your responses.

I think I will end up getting the iPhone 11.

Just not sure if I should bother with AppleCare.

I don't know how universal my experience is, but I've always been happy with AppleCare on laptops and phones - the quality of support I've had in the past is main thing that convinced me not to buy a Pixel 5a or 6. There are a lot of things that I dislike about general design and engineering choices across their product lines, but they really do seem to give a poo poo about customer retention. If you live near an Apple Store, I strongly recommend it, especially since they've added a plan with loss & theft protection a month or two ago. My carrier's insurance is through Asurion, and purchasing AppleCare+ for two years up front worked out to be comparable to, if not cheaper than insuring one line through Asurion. Asurion's fine, and the repair techs I've dealt with have been fantastic, but I've never been crazy about the actual claims process, especially compared with AppleCare.

The support experience has always been quite smooth for me, and generally the tier-1 and 2 support agents are markedly better and more knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else I've dealt with. I ran into with a weird corner-case software issue with disk partitions on my MacBook pro and a) the second-tier agent was well-informed about how the partitioning process worked, and b) when it was clear that we were both in over our heads, the issue was escalated to the actual, no-poo poo, for-real, software engineering team responsible for MacOS's file system. I've never seen anything like that from anybody else.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 26, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah for phone insurance options, it basically doesn't get better than AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, and the pricing is similar to other options. If you live near an Apple Store it's even better and basically a no brainer to choose it over other options.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Is a oneplus nord 2 a good option for a decent 5G capable phone?

I was thinking of getting/waiting for a pixel 6 but actually I don't really care enough to justify the price. I just want a decent phone with 5G that I can slot my sim into for now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just picked up a Geek Squad refurbished Moto G Play (2021) to have a secondary/back-up phone. I plan to put it on a rolling Tracfone plan so it builds up data and I can use it as a hotspot if my cable goes down or I travel or something. For years I've had my old Boost phones around so I had this security blanket that if something went wrong I could temporarily swap sims and at least have a working phone, but they're so old and still locked to Boost I felt like throwing a few bucks into a middling phone so I can keep that sense of security going was worth it. And the rollover data on Tracfone means it could serve a purpose in the meantime.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

roomtone posted:

Is a oneplus nord 2 a good option for a decent 5G capable phone?

I was thinking of getting/waiting for a pixel 6 but actually I don't really care enough to justify the price. I just want a decent phone with 5G that I can slot my sim into for now.

you can get a used pixel 5a here in the 350-450 range, that's cheaper than what the nord2's price is and much better/longer supported

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Country/Provider: United States, Consumer Cellular (most likely)

Current contract status: Getting ready to switch plans and need a new phone to boot. Looking for a pay-as-you-go provider.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone<$1000, plan<$40/mo

Features I know I want:
-At least 4 yrs of OS or at the bare minimum security updates, I tend to keep my phones a long time.
-No more than 3" wide
-Headphone jack
-Good battery life

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gonna have to be an iPhone for the updates, but you'll have to forget about the headphone jack.

Pixel 4a for the headphone jack, but you have to forget about the updates.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, I hate iOS, so gently caress me, I guess. Really not a fan of the inescapable planned obsolescence that seems to be built into everything these days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I hate iOS, so gently caress me, I guess. Really not a fan of the inescapable planned obsolescence that seems to be built into everything these days.

Well, with phones , it isn’t planned , it’s either A. The longer is poo poo so it has no support and/or B. Difference between low cost and regular and high cost.

If your budget is less than $1000 for a phone, you should get a pixel 6.

The answer for the future at the moment is IPhone 13 or pixel 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In addition to all of that which is all true, having a headphone jack be some kind of dealbreaker is absurd in 2021. You're spending a grand on a phone, maybe pick up some decent, modern headphones while you're at it. There's absolutely no reason to want a headphone jack so much that it negates buying the better made and better supported phones on the market. It's crazy to die on that hill.