Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

X-Factor was awful (like, maybe the second truly bad krakoa era series along X-Corp) and Trial of the Magneto continues all the bad ticks of the main comic (terrible pacing, no distinct character voices, doing nothing with the premise), putting editorial spotlight just enhanced it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Jay Guthrie has been in the background of a bunch of Krakoa stuff but never featured. I really like that for some reason. Even Tag and Wallflower show up in crowd scenes. I can finally forgive Yost and Kyle for the bus.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BrianWilly posted:

Hmm. I hope the next issue of Marauders remembers that Iceman can survive just fine in space.
I needn't have worried. :allears:

Also, today's Inferno actually answers a couple of the lingering questions from Trial of Magneto. Mystique had indeed taken the Cerebro helmet from Magneto's house and given it to Hope...which, incidentally and importantly, gives the Five free reign to resurrect whoever they want. It doesn't retroactively make that ToM issue good or anything, but hey at least it's a little less incomprehensible.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Inferno #2

Colossus being the man Xavier and Magneto trust feels so random, especially with whatever is going on with him in X-Force

The main thing of interest to me is the exchange between Nimrod and Omega Sentinel. Maybe she is a agent of the Phalanx or those things dwelling in black holes introduced way back in HoxPox. Figure they have to play some part in Moira's story.

Still hoping for a reveal that Moira has her own plans, it bothers me that her only role so far seems to be to sit in her lair and complain about things not going her way.

Also SWORD #9: It's so painfully obvious that Gyrich's double agent is a triple agent for Brand that it would be way more interesting if that isn't the case.

Njashi9 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 27, 2021

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Marauders was so, so good. I loved all the little mutant circuits being made.

Inferno was also good, but man, it kinda feels like American politics and bums me out

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Inferno was also good, but man, it kinda feels like American politics and bums me out

This would imply one side is completely ineffectual at any meaningful policy and the other side are a bunch of evil pieces of sh-

Oh.

It wasn't a particularly good issue, with pacing all over the place but some of the HOXPOX issues were that, and those work just fine in the bigger story. I haven't been following X-Force but I did find spoilers of the most recent issue and... yeah, the ending in Inferno #2 is extremely weird considering that. Also, they had to handwave Kurt's vote TWICE with dialogue, which goes to show you that they had written themselves into some bad math to get to their intended end.

I concur about Moira comments above. You'd think she would have had a contingency plan for all of this outside of throwing glassware.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clearly THIS Inferno didn't have a super detailed account written on a whiteboard.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

danbanana posted:

This would imply one side is completely ineffectual at any meaningful policy and the other side are a bunch of evil pieces of sh-

Oh.

It wasn't a particularly good issue, with pacing all over the place but some of the HOXPOX issues were that, and those work just fine in the bigger story. I haven't been following X-Force but I did find spoilers of the most recent issue and... yeah, the ending in Inferno #2 is extremely weird considering that. Also, they had to handwave Kurt's vote TWICE with dialogue, which goes to show you that they had written themselves into some bad math to get to their intended end.

I concur about Moira comments above. You'd think she would have had a contingency plan for all of this outside of throwing glassware.

I think Kurt's voting record is fine. He knows and trusts ***Colossus***, and he does feel some attachment to Mystique, despite their strained relationship. Besides that, I do think he's kind of the type to just follow the general consensus.

Re: the new council member, I'm guessing Colossus is supposed to be trustworthy because he was an X-Man and also part of the Acolytes for a while? But yeah he really seems like a terrible choice, given how down and bitter he can get about stuff. I wouldn't expect him to actively work against Moira like Emma might start doing, but I would expect him to tell Charles and Erik to go stuff themselves. But honestly, I'm not sure who you could go to for something like this. Like, Sinister is a terrible, terrible choice, but he's also one of the only people who could learn about Moira and go "well, game recognize game."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Isn't Piotr all hosed up and PTSD-y lately? Last thing I remember about him is being depressed about one thing or another, and his angst over whether or not the Illyana that is currently alive is the one he actually grew up with or some sorta hosed up alternate universe gestalt or something

The facial hair is a nice touch but it kinda clashes with the rest of his outfit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean this is the part where everything goes to poo poo because the X-people are intrinsically incompetent and their personal lives are a dumpster fire. That's not going to happen if they all made good decisions about their future.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rochallor posted:

he does feel some attachment to Mystique, despite their strained relationship. [/spoiler]

Sure my mom has shown herself to be a duplicitous murderer who, frankly, gave more love to my adopted sister* than me and also suddenly dropped this obvious loving scam on us just a few minutes ago but... She's my mom so I'll vote for whatever she says because that's how an adult operates: by doing what their duplicitous murder mom says.

*Yes she has stabbed my adopted sister twice, why do you ask?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rochallor posted:

Re: the new council member, But honestly, I'm not sure who you could go to for something like this. Like, Sinister is a terrible, terrible choice, but he's also one of the only people who could learn about Moira and go "well, game recognize game."

Wolverine? He has a very close relationship with Moira in at least two of her timelines we've seen so she'd have reason to trust him and he might trust her back once he sees those memories. He'd probably be as mad at Xavier and Magneto as Emma but might be more negotiable. Probably a better dice roll than Colossus.

If this is how Krakoa's government is supposed to fall at least it's leaving some room for it to exist as some sort of entity post Team Moira. The Five having free reign over resurrections seems unambiguously good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the end of the last issue of x-force was xavier going to talk to colossus to have him join the council. that he did so immediately after peter was puppeted into murdering his lover because she discovered his long running involuntary betrayal was a deliberate swerve.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Marauders was very fun this week. Noto's posing work is great, I love how distinct his character's body language is.

Emma's always preening and Noto uses this for a great visual gag.

Kitty slouches and throws herself around, she makes big facial expressions and is unintentionally dressed like Luke Skywalker.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Colossus is a very trustworthy person. You always know where you stand with him. I also expect that since he has strong ties with Kate, Storm, and Kurt that they know he'll tend to fall on their side of things.

I'm kinda hoping they ignore the X-Force stuff because I think that kinda sucks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Even when Colossus left to join Magneto and the Acolytes, he was at least honest about it, and stayed faithful until everything exploded.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought Colossus is being controlled by Xavier (aside from being controlled by his brother).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nightcrawler openly declaring that he's voting in their sovereign nation's leader in order to make his mother happy is the sort of thing that should get him ousted by the mutant CIA, but unfortunately the mutant CIA is too busy not handling the other leader that got voted in this week who is also severely compromised.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, now, to be fair, at this point in time nobody knows that he's compromised, and they can't even read his mind to learn it because IIRC Chronicler's power doesn't work via mind control. So in Xavier's mind, he wants Colossus because he believes Colossus to be a guy who everyone likes (true) and is loyal (true, to his knowledge) to his friends and teacher.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BrianWilly posted:

Nightcrawler openly declaring that he's voting in their sovereign nation's leader in order to make his mother happy is the sort of thing that should get him ousted by the mutant CIA, but unfortunately the mutant CIA is too busy not handling the other leader that got voted in this week who is also severely compromised.

Making a move on Nightcrawler is the fastest way to turn everyone else against you. Plus, when would Wolverine say a bad word against the elf?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think kurt would take the side of almost anyone who has been done dirty for so long and so little reason as mystique. xavier and magneto's coercion was barely hidden.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If apocalypse was still around I’d love to see Xavier and Moira bring him to the fold and him learning of moira’s life that went in his direction.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The more I think about it the more frustrated I am that an X-Force plotline featuring Mikhail (ugghhhhh) is apparently extremely important to Inferno. And that both the Inferno issues ended with someone showing up to be a council member. That's some Trade Federation poo poo.

Also, this all means Beast was... right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

danbanana posted:

Also, this all means Beast was... right?

Oh. Oh no.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he had quietly put colossus under surveillance he probably would have caught it. even when hank is right, he still makes terrible choices.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Factually accurate but completely wrong has been Hank's MO for a long time now. I think that fits for him. He's smart enough to have his facts straight but enough of an arrogant poo poo to make all the wrong calls because he always chooses the methods that most immediately massage his ego.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Beast: Hello?

Caller: Hi, is this the Department of Terrible Choices?

Beast: gently caress you!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

(sorry)

My current theory on THE TWIST is that Colossus isn't the person that Moira trusts... It's Hank. And that Hank knows the Mikhail poo poo and they're using that to their advantage.

I mostly believe this because I am still confused why Moira is so dumb in this story.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also RE: SWORD...

gently caress you, Al Ewing. Not for the double agent thing (which, based on the panel, is clearly a triple agent) but because gently caress anyone who uses the Imperial Guard as fodder. At least when Brubaker did it in Rise & Fall of Shi'ar Empire, he had the awesome scene where Guardian just walks up to Vulcan and one-punches him.

Guardian: the best x-character who I would never want to read on a regular basis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Clearly THIS Inferno didn't have a super detailed account written on a whiteboard.

Oh god, I just listened to the Jay and Miles episode where that came up. I would loving love to see a photo of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Isn't Piotr all hosed up and PTSD-y lately? Last thing I remember about him is being depressed about one thing or another, and his angst over whether or not the Illyana that is currently alive is the one he actually grew up with or some sorta hosed up alternate universe gestalt or something

The facial hair is a nice touch but it kinda clashes with the rest of his outfit

He's also being mind controlled by his evil as gently caress brother.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1453813574321717254

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK now, just because he's Russian doesn't mean he's evil. I will reserve judgement about Mikhail's morality until he does something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I mean, he's never done anything good in his entire publishing history, he's an out-and-out villain so I'm unprepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at loving all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rantmo posted:

I mean, he's never done anything good in his entire publishing history, he's an out-and-out villain so I'm unprepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at loving all.

How does he compare to Hank McCoy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was really funny how mikhail went through all that trouble to steal the busted cerebro magneto shaped into a sword and then had no idea what to do with it. part of his vague and overly broad power set is warping and reshaping matter!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
prior to this run of x-force mikhail was unquestionably far worse than hank. he briefly met the morlocks, then decided to kill all of them and himself, except he really took the morlocks to a time accelerated hell dimension where he ruled over them as a cruel and fickle god. all of this was completely on a whim.

unfortunately hank has now also enslaved an entire nation simply because he felt like it. so, it's a bit of a toss-up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
During The Shattering (I think), they revealed he did a lot of that poo poo because he was corrupted by a demon thing from the dimension he moved all the Morlocks to.

Hank cannot claim possession by Demon thing.

I also do not know anything about Mikhail after that because he loving succccckkkkssss.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bobkatt013 posted:

How does he compare to Hank McCoy?

Mikhail Rasputin has never gone to swingers' parties with Simon Williams, so he doesn't even have Hank's sole redeeming feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is the order of the Rasputin family:

Illyana is one of the best X-Men.

Colossus is okay.

Mikhail loving sucks and should be memory holed.