Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fritz the Horse posted:

fwiw I thought Epic High Five taking a mod position seemed notable as they were very (mostly?) active in CSPAM compared to D&D/USNews. I thought one of the goals of Athanatos' nomination thread was to get more diversity on the mod squad and assumed that was part of it.

Same here and my perception has been that it's been a pretty well-received move? We can't even call him a Pelosi-worshipping cuck because everyone knows he's a Marxist, we have to just respect it. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
please spare epic high five and helsing before perma'ing all the d&d mods. thank you.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Pamela Springstein posted:

please spare epic high five and helsing before perma'ing all the d&d mods. thank you.

helsing hasn't been a dnd mod for a while afaik

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pamela Springstein posted:

Yes it is clearly the dnd posters that want to purge their posting enemies.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

lollontee posted:

can you post an example?

Oh yeah I'll just give you the name of someone who has expressed a fear of harassment loving genius. Leave this thread.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fool of sound posted:

Oh yeah I'll just give you the name of someone who has expressed a fear of harassment loving genius. Leave this thread.

urgh.... i was trying to have debate with you, but im thinkin a gently caress you is more appropriate instead

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Everytime the mods decide someone else doesn't deserve to talk your posts get even funnier.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

USNews is a single thread, with a different set of rules specifically for that thread. It's fairly common on most forums. Are you new to the SA forums? Your reg date suggests you've been around long enough to know this.

Man, this thread is stellar at generating examples of toxic condescending D&D voice; but don't worry, I assume this poster just made a little whoopsie here and with gentle feedback will do better next time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The D&D posters have already purged at least half a dozen of their posting enemies from this thread lol

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Honestly team deathmatch debates where there's two "sides" and everyone advances some approximation of their "side"'s position are just stupid. Because there's so many people per side there's no real good way to hold anyone to debating a particular position that someone else holds. It's especially bad when it's about some imputed position, especially based on some sort of political compass shorthand.

Abolish the concept of teams and you're debating one person and maybe things will work, but it's going to get tedious when someone gets dogpiled. I don't really have a good idea of a better model but less focused on aggro and winning is probably a big part of it. People who really want to explain their positions instead of going after others are better than people who just attack, attack, attack.

Maybe it's unfair to certain posters but if someone's been hanging out in some forum for literal years at this point and can't say what they want instead of attacking what they don't want, maybe they don't have a good idea of what should be done.

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

You did the right thing by calling us.

Cloaked posted:

Man, this thread is stellar at generating examples of toxic condescending D&D voice; but don't worry, I assume this poster just made a little whoopsie here and with gentle feedback will do better next time.

I've seen folks in this thread passionately argue both that D&D regulars need to learn how to deal with harsh tones AND D&D regulars need to stop posting with harsh tones. If we assume that the answer is not for D&D regs to always be nice while everyone else gets to always be mean, I'm not sure what the takeaway is here except that everyone has an opinion.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Maybe it's unfair to certain posters but if someone's been hanging out in some forum for literal years at this point and can't say what they want instead of attacking what they don't want, maybe they don't have a good idea of what should be done.

I, personally, want a relaxed politics and current events discussion forum where people can 1) treat each other politely and 2) handle disagreements of opinion and/or analysis like grown-up adults.

I don't actually care about debating. I know I'm not going to change the mind of, say, a poster who professes to believe that China isn't actually committing a genocide. That's so out of this world that I just don't have the energy or inclination to bother.

I'm genuine in saying that I think removing "Debate" from the forum title would be a fine and good thing. Take away the fig-leaf of "debate me! I want to engage you in a debaaate! :byodood:" that some posters use to justify their insistence that they are doing something more than just wanting to scream at people who see the world differently.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Grooglon posted:

I've seen folks in this thread passionately argue both that D&D regulars need to learn how to deal with harsh tones AND D&D regulars need to stop posting with harsh tones. If we assume that the answer is not for D&D regs to always be nice while everyone else gets to always be mean, I'm not sure what the takeaway is here except that everyone has an opinion.

Me, when posting twitter hot takes in USNews: Wow, you libs really can't handle it when someone PROVES that Democrats get off on brown people suffering, huh?
Me, when someone explains to me how threads work: Excuse me, your D&D voice is so toxic and condescending, can you please tone it down? :qq:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Me, when posting twitter hot takes in USNews: Wow, you libs really can't handle it when someone PROVES that Democrats get off on brown people suffering, huh?
Me, when someone explains to me how threads work: Excuse me, your D&D voice is so toxic and condescending, can you please tone it down? :qq:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Grooglon posted:

It would be helpful in moving this particular conversation forward if you just directly quoted the posts you're referring to, otherwise it feels like you're disingenuously setting up a straw man to "own" here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grooglon posted:

It's not both, its pick one. Its stop being whiny loving hypocrites. Someone doesn't get to be an rear end in a top hat and not get hit for it and then run crying for a mod to ban their posting enemies when someone is an rear end in a top hat back. Probe and ramp both or probe and ramp neither.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2021

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

From C-SPAM, it's pretty wild to see the Trump threads showing up in the probe rankings at all given that they're rebooted every month or two. When you see that TRUMP 1460 has only one-third of the probes that USNews does, you've gotta remember that TRUMP 1460 was closed twenty days into 2021. That's 155 probes in just under three weeks, so clearly something is going on.

i think thats when IKs cycled and a bunch of us gave sixers to every single person we possibly could in that thread

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

enki42 posted:

This seems like a rule that invites bias.

Yes.

The rule is a long standing SA rule and it's been litigated numerous times with the same result.

You can be as crude/dark/whatever as you want with a joke or a post but you absolutely are rolling the dice and moderation can slap you with a probation or whatever if they feel like it's warranted. It is a very much a wild card rule and it's probably not going to change now if it hasn't changed in the past.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

How are u posted:

I'm genuine in saying that I think removing "Debate" from the forum title would be a fine and good thing. Take away the fig-leaf of "debate me! I want to engage you in a debaaate! :byodood:" that some posters use to justify their insistence that they are doing something more than just wanting to scream at people who see the world differently.

I mean, it's a kind of "And I want you to eat a bug!" demand for submission that I don't think will change a blessed thing, but is it really worse than having a bug waved in your face forever? :shrug: We're on a forum that renames subforums for holiday jokes.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll do it, I'll be the replacement mod of D&D. My reign will be ironfisted and without mercy. All shall love me and despair.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

I'll do it, I'll be the replacement mod of D&D. My reign will be ironfisted and without mercy. All shall love me and despair.

go into the west

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

The only person to ever pull it off was Ozma, and he sure did love the ban hammer.

The current mods are pretty good, but there should maybe be some scheduled change over?

Can a mod have term limits?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The only person to ever pull it off was Ozma, and he sure did love the ban hammer.

The current mods are pretty good, but there should maybe be some scheduled change over?

She btw

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's already a scheduled changeover, it's "when a mod inevitably burns out after a couple years."

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
crops of the long maeltdown may

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like I could be an even handed mod but im also a very sensitive baby with very sensitive feelings. I also tend to read the most positive possible spin on every statement and am sometimes fairly shocked at the ways people interpret things.

I do assume all politicians are bad and poo poo though and are always doing evil.

A dichotomy. hmm

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fritz the Horse posted:

There's already a scheduled changeover, it's "when a mod inevitably burns out after a couple years."

By which you mean "a couple of years after a mod inevitably burns out"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wait does this mean we need to give the modship to an obsessive murderous freak who immediately falls into a volcano

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I still feel very strongly that the report button should auto 1 hour probe the person submitting it. It would really cut back on the mashing of the report button.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i think thats when IKs cycled and a bunch of us gave sixers to every single person we possibly could in that thread

wait no i hosed up that was a different time. TRUMP 1460 had 8584 pages of posts and it ran for a few months. but yeah mostly joke probations i think.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

wait does this mean we need to give the modship to an obsessive murderous freak who immediately falls into a volcano
One does not simply "walk" into modship. It's black gates are guarded by more than just admins. There is an evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and radium code. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand posters could you do this. It is folly.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I still feel very strongly that the report button should auto 1 hour probe for the person submitting it. It would really cut back on the mashing of the report button.

I'm still so shocked that there's people who report constantly. I think I've filed like less than 10 in my entire time on SA.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC the mods have said only a tiny number of people abuse the report button; like a couple and they get chewed out for it. The forum just generates a lot of reports from a lot of people.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I still feel very strongly that the report button should auto probe the person submitting it. It would really cut back on the mashing of the report button.

Or at least, if there are known problem reporters, they should get a couple warnings to knock it the gently caress off and then have action taken. There's imo no reason to allow people to abuse the system. Especially if D&D is generating 40-50 (?) or more reports on a typical day, most of which are bullshit.

I forget who, was it fool of sound that said in this or the QCS thread that they tend to be more likely to push buttons (one way or the other, I forget if more likely to ignore or take action on) toward the end of a long report queue because their patience starts to wear thin?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I still feel very strongly that the report button should auto 1 hour probe the person submitting it. It would really cut back on the mashing of the report button.

Honestly I really wish more than one person could report a given post, so we could see immediately when a post has a LOT of reports and thus probably needs immediately attention, rather than 'literally any one person of the couple hundred uspol regulars reported this'.

Fritz the Horse posted:

I forget who, was it fool of sound that said in this or the QCS thread that they tend to be more likely to push buttons (one way or the other, I forget if more likely to ignore or take action on) toward the end of a long report queue because their patience starts to wear thin?

Yeah that was me earlier this thread. Reports are my bugbear and if I have to do a bunch of them I'm almost always real loving cranky by the end and have given out probations I shouldn't have, or too long of probations, because of that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fool of sound posted:

Honestly I really wish more than one person could report a given post, so we could see immediately when a post has a LOT of reports and thus probably needs immediately attention, rather than 'literally any one person of the couple hundred uspol regulars reported this'.

Yeah that was me earlier this thread. Reports are my bugbear and if I have to do a bunch of them I'm almost always real loving cranky by the end and have given out probations I shouldn't have, or too long of probations, because of that.

I wasn't aware only one person could report a post. I am not sure I've even used it before.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's a dumb idea that would probably go horribly:

Go, like, a month with no D&D mods.

Maybe everything is just pretty cool and it's fine! (Probably not.)

But what it would do, is give us an opportunity to see what the problems with our group dynamic really are, absent any outside interference. Then, we can evaluate what's going wrong, and what we might want that outside interference to look like.

Mods will probably still need to exist in a technical sense, but in this scenario they could only give probes strictly to illegal/dangerous poo poo.

I'm not saying "this is what I want" or anything, but maybe something to consider.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I think the lack of admin interaction is at least part of the problem here so I recommend only requesting probations that require admin approval so they're at least forced to look at it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
They tried the no-mod-month in GBS years ago and it resulted in 5 years of GBS being completely overrun with awful superstar cliques, misanthropic assholes, and racists, until the admins progressively perma'd all of them and ran them off to offsites like Skullmund (which later collapsed into a pile of bigots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fool of sound posted:

They tried the no-mod-month in GBS years ago and it resulted in 5 years of GBS being completely overrun with awful superstar cliques, misanthropic assholes, and racists, until the admins progressively perma'd all of them and ran them off to offsites like Skullmund (which later collapsed into a pile of bigots).

Yeaaaaah that makes sense. Sorry, I was literally on drugs when I thought of that.