Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tokimeki may stand as the all time apex of tim. But the season 2 M.O. of only playing old games that are good is a good sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i liked his video where he hung out with suda and Robert atkin downs nominally talk about no more heroes 3 but Rogers used to work for suda so it just turned into everyone giving him poo poo about his game dev days lmao

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Panzeh posted:

A lot of the vibe of the video i've gotten in what i've seen so far is that you really shouldn't commit to doing video essays on a game that isn't even out yet.

Yeah - this feels obligatory in a weird way, even though he likes the game.

I like it, but it has a bit of a weird edge.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

So did he like Cyberpunk 2077?

"the story is good but the gameplay is bad and buggy and it probably shouldn't have been open world" -the verdict so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin part 5 lmao. God dammit Tim

Excited to do part 6 and the bottom line when I get back from work

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Harrow posted:

I've only watched the intro so far but it seems that yeah, he liked it, as an overall experience. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that but he does stress that he thinks there's a lot of good in it and that it's worth playing, even if there's also a lot of bad

He also said if you're strapped for time it's fine to just watch the conclusion video and skip the rest for what seems to be a more straightforward, 1-hour review of Cyberpunk 2077. I haven't watched that part yet because I'm going to play along with the "pick two parts to watch, then the conclusion" thing, but that's what he says at the end of the intro.

i am kinda weirdly surprised. but thats nice. he personally isnt my thing and i think he does the postmodern shaggy dog stuff too much, but it cool.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I need that dang "Bingo" audio clip from Tokimeki.

Edit: I have since learned it is from Smash TV

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 27, 2021

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

thatfuturekid posted:

I work overnights, and Im just binging through it all over the next few nights. I know 10 hours of TR is not for everyone but I find him and his bit to be hilarious. The side tangents that last for 20 minutes are what I live for.

You're gonna love the second part of Story 6.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tim Rogers is a genius and I kinda want to play Cyberpunk 2077 now

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
I watched stories 6 and 5 in that order. Got exactly what I wanted out of any Tim Rogers thing, its a good day. I think there was like a full hour combined tangent between the two of them.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Earthbound in Season 2.

Tim Rogers Keeps Winning

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you played the game pretty thoroughly, I'd say skip part 3 for now - the main thing he likes is the side stories and the branching in the narrative, so he goes through a lot of the plotlines step by step.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Part 3 kind of felt like the tim version of a joseph anderson video, where the majority of it is just explaining the plot of the thing you're supposed to have played before watching the video

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
shoutout story #5

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I did #3 and #4 because I wanted to hear both angles, was a good choice.

I’m gonna watch the rest of them over the next week in the background of work probably just go fill time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
part six is good poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Venuz Patrol posted:

part six is good poo poo

Part one is not very good, imo, part 4 is good, part 5, i woulda liked to see the the thing it was going to be but i understand wanting to do it more in the context of a game he liked for it, part six is fun, working on part 3, then 2

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

I watched parts 1 and 6. After that I don’t know too much about the actual game Cyberpunk 2077 and I don’t care!

Also, people who want to hate him for those long tangents are gonna love this as there’s at least one hour of him talking about all the cool and expensive pieces of clothing and stuff that he owns.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
part 4 has an anecdote so long that when he got back to his original point it felt like a clever callback. i got the same dopamine hit hearing him finally reveal why he had spent twenty minutes talking about quickhacks in relation to a critical hit build that i get from heist movies protagonists explaining how they robbed a bank. needless to say, this is the best video game review ever produced

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Part #4 is very good. What he didn’t like. Not only does he show tons of hilarious glitches (my wife and I both lost it at the motorcycle exploding), he really dives deep into just how broken the structure and design of the player’s capabilities are. I had a similar experience to him playing, once I went full hacker and got a weapon I liked with tons of crit chance, it basically voided the entirety of the skull tree/skull point/build your character combat experience. Game is fundamentally broken.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blind Rasputin posted:

Part #4 is very good. What he didn’t like. Not only does he show tons of hilarious glitches (my wife and I both lost it at the motorcycle exploding), he really dives deep into just how broken the structure and design of the player’s capabilities are. I had a similar experience to him playing, once I went full hacker and got a weapon I liked with tons of crit chance, it basically voided the entirety of the skull tree/skull point/build your character combat experience. Game is fundamentally broken.

I think the best stuff was when he talked about the boringness in general of looting a bunch of bodies after every encounter, the tediousness of collecting everything, etc. Honestly, it's an interesting critique there because it applies to a lot of games- looting and inventory management should probably be less of a thing, especially in a game trying to keep any kind of pace.

While I don't think this review is his best(i think a lot of the digressions come from Cyberpunk just not being that interesting as a failure), he does a good job elevating the material.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tim Rogers is a genius and I kinda want to play Cyberpunk 2077 now

NGL I wanna buy the PC version now. I have the $10 Xbox and ps5 versions but they are kinda poo poo because the game looks so much better on the PC.

Sucks to have just missed the steam sale though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

If anyone’s curious about Tim’s unpublished novels (one of which apparently gets alluded to at the end of the Cyberpunk review), he goes into exacting detail about his exacting formula for what he considers to be “a novel” here.

quote:

Chapter two tends to be three times as long as chapter one. I often think of chapter two as “the Wikipedia chapter”:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I put 40 hours into cyberpunk 2077 and the video was more enjoyable than actually playing the game.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A thread reviewing a reviewer writing long reviews about video games.

We need a UBI right now!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

He spends a lot of the final wrap-up overview talking about how he wishes that CD Projekt Red just developed story games instead of trying to bolt on an open world shooter to an RPG and the whole time I'm just like, that's Disco Elysium. Play Disco Elysium, Tim. And I know he hasn't because he tweeted he got migraines from reading the text or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Part 6 owns

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nanomashoes posted:

He spends a lot of the final wrap-up overview talking about how he wishes that CD Projekt Red just developed story games instead of trying to bolt on an open world shooter to an RPG and the whole time I'm just like, that's Disco Elysium. Play Disco Elysium, Tim. And I know he hasn't because he tweeted he got migraines from reading the text or something.

Yeah the gist of option 5 is that it shouldn't have been an open world game.

Option 5 is a good one to choose.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Option 5 is.. something, I think it could have stood to have more explanation but I definitely understand saving it for an open world game he actually likes(as an open world game, anyway).

The game would probably be better if going to the next quest was just some dialogue box by walking to a car, but i don't think anyone would've gone for that in a AAA game of 2020. It'd get panned even more than the janky open world.

I also think it wouldn't have worked as a pure dialogue box game like Disco Elysium, either.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I also think it wouldn't have worked as a pure dialogue box game like Disco Elysium, either.

Yeah you’d have to significantly redesign it to work as a story game but you’d also have to do that for it to work as an open world shooter and thats what they released it as.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the open world stuff in 2077 is pretty dull a lot of the time but you need something to break up the dialogue and the combat so theres actual tension when it happens. a pure deus ex immersive sim is the most obvious choice to me but thats just as hard as an open world to get right

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

tim rogers owns.

enjoy poo poo. think about it. make cool poo poo that you think is cool, and maybe other people will think it's cool too.

I liked 1-6-7 as a watch order but I also watched them all. i liked 3 if you want him to basically go through the game and what's rad, but i really enjoyed how like 45 minutes of section 4 is just the amount of hoops he had to jump through to pretend to enjoy the nonsense the game throws at you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

yeah. i think witcher 3 works as open world because all the quests from giant to tiny click and feel kinda natural like your stumbling upon them and its just side jobs while your on the path. cyberpunk needed more of deus ex hr style open world and you can do they are sorta trying to that but then they added open world stuff that even ubisoft got better at doing and hosed it up.

Farm Frenzy posted:

the open world stuff in 2077 is pretty dull a lot of the time but you need something to break up the dialogue and the combat so theres actual tension when it happens. a pure deus ex immersive sim is the most obvious choice to me but thats just as hard as an open world to get right

agreed.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think witcher 3 works as open world because all the quests from giant to tiny click and feel kinda natural like your stumbling upon them and its just side jobs while your on the path. cyberpunk needed more of deus ex hr style open world and you can do they are sorta trying to that but then they added open world stuff that even ubisoft got better at doing and hosed it up.

agreed.

he says in the video, and it's so absolutely true. it took the witcher 1, and 2 before they made the witcher 3.

cyberpunk was NOT the witcher 4, it was its own thing, but done as if they tried to make the witcher 3 straight away with a team a 5th the size necessary to make something as ambitious as it was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't think anyone has talked about Option 2?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The core thesis of this whole project as far as I could tell (I went 5 then 4 so I could be missing a lot of context here) is that Cyberpunk 2077 is a pretty good video game, but also that's merely what it is, only a pretty good video game. It's a heavily flawed and rushed amalgamation of every video gamey thing that has existed and beyond its shiny veneer there's not much of anything you can consider pioneering or transcendental in the field of video games. It mixes and matches every gaming paradigm you can think of without really attempting to examine, study, understand, deconstruct and/or improve on any of them. You start the game, get a handle on its zillions of not-quite-interlocking systems, you immerse yourself in the world and in the story for several dozen hours or more, and then you're done and you move on. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as Tim emphasizes again and again, and the game legitimately does several things quite well, but the end result is something that lacks real identity and feels more like it's clumsily built on the backs of its many dozens of inspirations and mechanical predecessors.

It is, effectively, a video game built for people who love video games, which sounds like a good thing until it all becomes too much, too taxing, and overall not as satisfying as you'd hope. In the same way that eating a deluxe 12-topping meat lovers pizza sounds like a great time and even tastes pretty good in the moment, but it's hard to eat, takes too long to finish, and ends with you feeling tired and bloated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think anyone has talked about Option 2?

He says the word “graphics” a lot

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Part 2 is about how he bought a ridiculously powerful PC to get so close as possible to the «intended» 2077 experience, and how the graphics are good, but also about how it is a product of tons of crunch which is not healthy, and also goes into an aside about his own crunch and health issues doing season 1 of his series

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The first half of part 2 is about how graphics and games drive each other, how graphics can be built to stand the test of time, and the way graphics, like CP2077's graphics, are a gigantic selling point for a game.

The second half is about how he was once an idiot working 100-hour days and eating theoretically healthy but depressing poo poo and how he nearly died from it so he doesn't do that any more and then relates it back to how he considers this video to be his worst one because he only worked 40-hour days on it, so if people still like it then clearly crunch in favour of glitz and lights isn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress it I found a $20 gog.com key for CP2077 and I'm going to play it as god intended on the PC.