Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Brass posted:

I wanted to like JD and was rooting for him. He seemed like an innocent and trusting guy, from his backstory it sounded like he was a nerdy high-school freshman or band geek turned cool senior. He was so awful at the challenges, there is no way he plays any sports. His energy was so all over the place too, I wonder if it was because of the lack of food? Like when he just walked up with the advantage sticking out of his pants, did anyone else think he seemed out of it? Or was he just that bumbling? He made wayy too many mistakes and oversold himself, huge bummer. I thought maybe he was just putting up a cool guy persona.

This is actually why I really didn't like JD from the jump, and also speaks to why I hate the sappy backstories. I probably would have liked him just from the island, but the "I was a nerd who became cool" story soured me. I know people like this and they never actually "became cool", they're still just weasley nerds who co-opted what they thought were characteristics of "cool" people as a manipulation tactic. They just "adopt" personalities that they can't back up with anything but this insecure mask of faux confidence and glomb onto social circles. This is why he was so desperate for Shan's acceptance that he got played by her *twice*, ultimately leading to his demise. Big poser energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nerox posted:

I think the go fish thing will be hilarious if she just steals it from someone wearing their idol at tribal as a powerplay.

Also how does shot in the dark work, I can't even remember what it is other than it involves rolling a die.

It actually doesn't involve rolling a die :xd:

Although I suspect it was originally going to be that before they realized all the ways that could suck during pre production - the die is now just a totem of 1/6 probability

Basically, you spend the die totem, then draw from a bag with 1 immunity and 5 lose your votes

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So shot in the dark is a one-per-customer deal right? Must've missed that their first time explaining it. Lol if that's the case then, it'll get used zero times. What a joke of a season this is winding up to be. I'm still enjoying it, but JD's spy shack is every bit a metaphor for this season: twists for their own sake with everything around the actual core action falling to bits.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sighence posted:

So shot in the dark is a one-per-customer deal right? Must've missed that their first time explaining it. Lol if that's the case then, it'll get used zero times. What a joke of a season this is winding up to be. I'm still enjoying it, but JD's spy shack is every bit a metaphor for this season: twists for their own sake with everything around the actual core action falling to bits.

It's already been used by someone I believe, it's a one time desperation move.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The point of the shot in the dark isn't for someone to actually use it, it's for the players to have to deal with the possibility it could blow up their plans, adding a wrinkle into obvious majority and unanimous votes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

The point of the shot in the dark isn't for someone to actually use it, it's for the players to have to deal with the possibility it could blow up their plans, adding a wrinkle into obvious majority and unanimous votes.

Yeah I read it as a forced reason to always vote split

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If you have the numbers to split for an idol, in most cases you should already be doing that because of idols. And if for whatever reason you weren’t gonna split then I don’t think the 1/6 chance should change your calculations.

Also even if that chance hits, that player still doesn’t get to vote. It’s sort of stupid imo. It has not been used yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not saying it's great but one thing I learned playing tabletop games for a long time is that it always FEELS much better to have a chance to roll a die for a save, even if it's a longshot, than to just feel powerless.

It's definitely also caused people to at least have something to think about

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shan is playing way too hard and her tribe is too dumb to deal with it.

That entire exchange with Ricard was cringy game play.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In a couple weeks, there will be more idols and advantages in the game than there are players :smug:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wonder if they could be tribeless next ep and just draw for teams at the challenge. Just trying to think of what could be a new not quite merge thing that hasn’t been done before.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I’m having a hard time with this season. Hopefully it picks up after merge.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

I wonder if they could be tribeless next ep and just draw for teams at the challenge. Just trying to think of what could be a new not quite merge thing that hasn’t been done before.

Two tribes One Beach? It was a fun concept the 1 time they tried it, just a shithead cast member.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Two tribes One Beach? It was a fun concept the 1 time they tried it, just a shithead cast member.

No we're going back to basics this season. Four tribes one beach!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One tribe three beaches

They still live apart but vote together

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Multiple tribes but same beach. Normal tribal council but you vote who on the OTHER tribes you want voted out, so winning immunity is actually winning the chance to go to tribal council

This would probably be too easy for one tribe to snowball and just keeping winning challenges until the merge but there’s the potential for cross tribe alliances

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Multiple tribes but same beach. Normal tribal council but you vote who on the OTHER tribes you want voted out, so winning immunity is actually winning the chance to go to tribal council

This would probably be too easy for one tribe to snowball and just keeping winning challenges until the merge but there’s the potential for cross tribe alliances

Wouldn't require the audience to stare at a some blurry linen rules. Not complicated enough.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Double the contestants but every time a player is voted out, they select another player to be eliminated with them.

Boot Camp (2001) rules.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not gonna lie, a gimmick where you could drag someone down with you would be very funny. Would be absolutely terrible for the game but I'd laugh my rear end off the first time it happened.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Double the contestants but every time a player is voted out, they select another player to be eliminated with them.

Boot Camp (2001) rules.
Boot Camp was so good. That comedy of errors with the harness left in the tunnel was all time great nonsense.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I really enjoyed both boot camp and celebrity boot camp

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Scene 1: Liana crying that she let an opportunity go by when she didn’t blindside Xander with an idol in his pocket
Scene 2: Liana gets an idol steal advantage
Scene 3: . . . hmm

Another observation: Ricard talking at tribal about not “getting credit” for his and Shan’s moves in a tribe that in 5 minutes will just be him and Shan. Who is this for Ricard? Not very smart

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Scene 1: Liana crying that she let an opportunity go by when she didn’t blindside Xander with an idol in his pocket
Scene 2: Liana gets an idol steal advantage
Scene 3: . . . hmm

Another observation: Ricard talking at tribal about not “getting credit” for his and Shan’s moves in a tribe that in 5 minutes will just be him and Shan. Who is this for Ricard? Not very smart

I think it was for Genie in case she was still debating who to vote for. Nobody going into tribal had any idea who was actually going home. Nobody knew who would actually stick their word.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

But he was voting Genie! That meant either he or Genie was going home, so why say anything for her benefit? Instead it was just another way of announcing “hey Shan I’ve recognized I need to vote you out later on”

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

But he was voting Genie!

I think the idea is he wanted Genie to believe he was voting Shan

89407G966EHLO389EO
Apr 27, 2005

TOP DOG
Agreed. With the Shot in the Dark, you want to minimize the likelihood that's going to be used.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

drat Shan and Ricard are messy as hell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

drat Shan and Ricard are messy as hell.

Yeah they're both loving this up bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's probably two too many layers here again

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This is so convoluted for absolutely no reason.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Actual limited water is no joke

She's set up though

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like this is some basic poo poo. Shan should’ve said,

Hey, you know, I’m ready to receive that advantage back whenever, it’s fine if you’re more comfortable doing it after Tribal.

And Ricard, after TC, should’ve said, hey Shan here’s the advantage back, hope you understand my holding it before, I do totally trust you but it was such a last minute ask and you know with the whole JD thing I just didn’t have time to process it, but I trust you completely, here you go.

Instead, after seeing what really happened, I don’t see how they can work together again and I feel like in hindsight Shan should’ve kept Genie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Whos ready for Xander to become one of the most screwed players of all time??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shan what no lmao

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

Shan what no lmao
I’d be pissed wtf

Shneak posted:

This is so convoluted for absolutely no reason.
If they would’ve just explained it as “you’ve all made the merge but only the losing challenge team can be voted for” it would’ve been simple but they insist on acting like there hasn’t been a merge yet to make it seem like a more epic twist

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 28, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

I’d be pissed wtf

Even if only like "oh great my alliance person is a fricken dope"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Btw this should be a 2 hour episode but I don’t think it is? Jeff called it a two parter. So are we gonna get the first ever Survivor ep with no vote?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

Btw this should be a 2 hour episode but I don’t think it is? Jeff called it a two parter. So are we gonna get the first ever Survivor ep with no vote?

Yeah I think that's what it is, no vote this ep

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Anyone remember Survivor? That was a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo it's over already

I did like that episode

That hourglass is NOT a gift, gently caress