Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yeah "smooth brain" is an actual medical condition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissencephaly

"Hug box" is also not great and refers to a therapeutic device for calming autistic people with hypersensitivity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

Thanks for the info about the hug box, I didn’t connect the dots. I’ll avoid using the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kalit posted:

I'll give you some satisfaction: I did report 1 post ITT. It was a prior post of yours for using an ableist phrase:

Apparently, the mods didn't take as much offense to it as they do the r word :shrug:

Hey I want you to know I wasn't intentionally making ableist remarks and I had only associated that term with general derision.

I'll refrain from using it in the future

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think we should all get the satisfaction of knowing who is reporting people.

Hi, I reported a post in this thread that I felt was unnecessarily inflammatory, and thought that it might be helpful feedback for the moderation team, given the thread's discussion of the delineations of good faith and aggression.

I felt that posting to point it out would bog the thread down more than reporting it. I also didn't particularly want to get embroiled in the larger discussion, as I agree that it seems to primarily pertain to USPol/USNews culture and posters.

I'm not US user, and I don't post in that thread, so I have no further feedback beyond 'I think some posts in the thread are more aggressive than is productive'.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hey I want you to know I wasn't intentionally making ableist remarks and I had only associated that term with general derision.

I'll refrain from using it in the future

I sincerely appreciate this, thank you.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kalit posted:

I sincerely appreciate this, thank you.

And thank you for making me aware of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd like to reiterate that people shouldn't be discouraged from reporting things, even if once every couple years there's a thread where it may seem funny to do so on the face of it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I would however encourage people to write useful report reasons instead of little sarcastic messages.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

fool of sound posted:

I would however encourage people to write useful report reasons instead of little sarcastic messages.
So this might be a bit more meta than merely D&D, but, controlling for how good or bad the post being reported is, what makes a good report vs a bad report? What information in the report is useful to you?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I find that the report explanation field isn't nearly long enough to give good explanations, most of the time. And PMing a mod to expand on a report reason feels weird unless it's something really serious.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I find that the report explanation field isn't nearly long enough to give good explanations, most of the time. And PMing a mod to expand on a report reason feels weird unless it's something really serious.
I've run into this too. It's like I'm trying to tweet all the reasons a post sucks and I can't tweet storm.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo please

e: if we can get a list together of all the paywall-filtered words, i can do a quick find/replace on the source file. I'm also excluding the following words, which can be appended: "post", "thread","posting", "user put", "poster", "USER PUT ", "probation", " USER PUT", " USER PUT "

heres my shot at it with similar word filters

e: probably should have excluded post and thread

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

So this might be a bit more meta than merely D&D, but, controlling for how good or bad the post being reported is, what makes a good report vs a bad report? What information in the report is useful to you?

When the reported post is obviously awful the report reason doesn't matter a ton, but most of the time the posts are being reported as part of a pattern of behavior and an explanation like "this user has made 26 aggro posts about the definition of toffee vs caramel in usnews" or "hey, this person is insisting on a a factually untrue thing and evidence has been posted that they are ignoring" or similar are way more helpful than reporting six of their posts in rapid succession.

Also, and this is more of a personal bias, I tend to be more dismissive of reports filed by direct major participants in an debate; I am generally of the opinion that if it's worth reporting, and observer will do so instead.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And thank you for making me aware of it.

Likewise. I had no idea either of those terms were more than generic insults.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also, mawarannahr, I saw your post and this conversation, and I'm glad you brought it up. There's a major issue with pathologizing disagreement as a product of mental issue and I would very much like to start consistently pushing people away from doing so. I brought it up when I was first modded, specifically over calling people socio/psychopaths, but there was overwhelming pushback at the time so I backed off but maybe, almost two years later, opinions have shifted and it's worth giving another shot?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

fool of sound posted:

Also, mawarannahr, I saw your post and this conversation, and I'm glad you brought it up. There's a major issue with pathologizing disagreement as a product of mental issue and I would very much like to start consistently pushing people away from doing so. I brought it up when I was first modded, specifically over calling people socio/psychopaths, but there was overwhelming pushback at the time so I backed off but maybe, almost two years later, opinions have shifted and it's worth giving another shot?

Yes, in my opinion, please start doing this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fart simpson posted:

heres my shot at it with similar word filters

e: probably should have excluded post and thread

ok cleaned it up here you go epic high five im done

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

What would even be the purpose of reporting a post in this thread lmao

these sorts of threads are the only ones I ever report anyone in (aside from obviously illegal content that needs to get zapped ASAP) precisely because they're so high profile and because they tend to have mods talking a lot of talk about how they moderate and how reports should be used while also imposing arbitrary restrictions on the conversation and needing to at least make a pretense of consistency, so it's fun to both see how they conduct themselves (if, say, hypothetically a poster perceived as favored nearly immediately violates every part of the new rules they've just imposed), and to (presumably) elevate the new arbitrary rules to a place where other mods might then see that (again, purely hypothetically) a fellow mod had kramered into a thread and was aggressively threatening week-long probes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Honestly cccc needs to be looked at as a whole for what the admins want to use it for, because there's likely a ton of threads site wide here cspam games gbs that all could go there. Tossing uspol there however won't fix anything and arguably just tosses some of the issues into whoever is forced to mod that thread in cccc, and if it's an Ik feelings of mod bias or abuse would be even worse.

Tossing the thread into what amount to an isolated island is likely to make issues worse in that thread and island, and not really fix anything here.
A CCCC version of the thread would be explicitly biased in favor of the regulars, is the point. It would be the USnews Crew Chat, not USnews Chat, so any bias in favor of that crew would be built in and expected. That's literally what that forum is for, carving out a little piece of SA for a group of posters to run without taking into consideration how the rest of SA feels about it. (Outside a crew venturing out and loving poo poo up elsewhere or breaking the core rules of SA.)

As for not fixing things here, it'd remove the giant vortex of eyeballs that apparently prevents people from splitting discussions of the US up into more focused topics. On top of that, it'd remove a thread that twists the entire discussion of moderation in D&D, though it does fall to the mods to ensure that no thread in D&D grows into the "main US thread" that sucks up all the attention.

fool of sound posted:

Also, and this is more of a personal bias, I tend to be more dismissive of reports filed by direct major participants in an debate; I am generally of the opinion that if it's worth reporting, and observer will do so instead.
But a post can only be reported once. Even if an observer wanted to report a post, they can't. Unless you're supposed to choose a previous/later post and refer to the other one, within the extremely limited report field. I'd also add that this approach favors the side with enough numbers to fill both discussion and reporting spots. Not saying that it's not a good thing to have in mind, but you should account for the structural advantage of representing the majority (within the thread) view when using that heuristic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

ok cleaned it up here you go epic high five im done

"Badposted" really stuck out there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Killer robot posted:

"Badposted" really stuck out there.

Horrible mouthfeel.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

fool of sound posted:

They tried the no-mod-month in GBS years ago and it resulted in 5 years of GBS being completely overrun with awful superstar cliques, misanthropic assholes, and racists, until the admins progressively perma'd all of them and ran them off to offsites like Skullmund (which later collapsed into a pile of bigots).

Give the plebs their bread & rosescircuses

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I don't feel like I really have a place in D&D, CSPAM or other places on SA. My ideology is saddled and reined in where most others aren't.

Ultimately, I just want a place to post and facilitate international dictatorship of the proletariat.

I'm a Trot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

I don't feel like I really have a place in D&D, CSPAM or other places on SA. My ideology is saddled and reined in where most others aren't.

Ultimately, I just want a place to post and facilitate international dictatorship of the proletariat.

I'm a Trot.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

Since winter and snow are just around the corner, you must be getting ready to break out your Trot skis.

I'm sorry... for the North Hemisphere centrism

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Building on this: all gimmick accounts should share whatever d&d fate Fancy Pelosi gets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

Kaopectate takes care of trots.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

Dont listen to neigh-sayers

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

I can't say I agree with your politics but I appreciate your canter

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

It wouldn't behoove you to be anything less, I feel.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

It is a rather vague sentiment, "Do it again, Uncle Billy"

do what again, exactly?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spite modding: exhibit 2356

Probating this days a day later is something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm a Trot.

Enough with the gish gallop, please.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

The probe reason is just “don’t make me remember that person I’ve decided I like was terrible”

So I’d call it the perfect D&D sixer

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

fool of sound posted:

What should we write when we see people calling stuff rword or dead and gay because that gets probed about 50% of the time depending on how popular the poster is

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Side by side with the good old “I don’t agree with your position so it must be trolling” bullshit.

I appreciate that we don’t need to actually leave the thread for concrete examples of the systemic problems with this forum!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Sherman poo poo sucks. Saying that you're just celebrating him as a great general and not his genocidal campaign against Native Americans is a lot like the assholes who worship Robert E. Lee. Which is pretty ironic imho.

I know he's an epic meme in GIP, and something that I've joked about in the past too, but for gently caress's sake, have a little bit of awareness of how bad it looks.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s actually really funny to see somebody get probed for pointing out Sherman was a pos after a page of people discussing how offensive it is when people say smoothbrains or call these forums dead and gay

Real big brain smart guy stuff going on here

E: is it ableist to call something big brain smart guy stuff? Asking for a friend that friend being me because I just said it

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 28, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't care about a sherman gang tag out of context it's just really rich to use one while crusading against genocide denialism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:ssh: Nobody is saying Sherman's treatment of the Natives was not despicable. But the idea that you guys are going to go pretend gang tags are a wholly historical treatment of the people in the tag and something reflects the entirety of that person is hilarious.

Fister Roboto posted:

The Sherman poo poo sucks. Saying that you're just celebrating him as a great general and not his genocidal campaign against Native Americans is a lot like the assholes who worship Robert E. Lee. Which is pretty ironic imho.

I know he's an epic meme in GIP, and something that I've joked about in the past too, but for gently caress's sake, have a little bit of awareness of how bad it looks.

Ah yes, by adopting the GIP gang tag, I have accepted and endorse all of Sherman's history. This take makes absolutely no sense.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Serious feedback - codify Jeffrey’s comment in the QCS thread that conservative viewpoints aren’t allowed here into the actual rules at the top of the forum. Always seemed to be an unwritten rule, and it seems like the fairest thing for moderators and the community alike to just address openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a Hitler gang tag about him as an artist, not as a genocide architect. Oh it reminds you of the genocide? Have you tried getting smarter you baby?