Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if she's constantly that late and she didn't get back until 3am, she was probably doing some stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think I'd write a contract involving ramping penalty rates such that by midnight she's paying me quintuple time. Make sure she initials every clause.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I think I'd write a contract involving ramping penalty rates such that by midnight she's paying me quintuple time. Make sure she initials every clause.

You might be asking for more money than the GDP by the time this lady shows up.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my girlfriend to wear makeup?

quote:

I’m 23 and she’s the same.

We been together awhile now about a year and we are always with each other and we talk about everything. We are basically each other’s best friend. Well the thing is I notice all these other girls wear makeup and she doesn’t. She’s completely fine with not wearing makeup but it sort of bugs me. It’s not like she’s ugly without it I just think she would look so much better. Like she would glow. I don’t know what the big deal is for her to wear makeup.

So early today I asked her before we went out to eat with my parents if she could put some makeup on. She got so mad at me saying how much she hates it and she put me in an awkward spot. I didn’t know how to advance the argument because she was so stern on not wearing makeup but she finally gave in to my pestering and decided to put on some of her sisters make up but I could tell she was furious with me. I told her she should drop the attitude because it’s not a big deal and I don’t want her bringing that energy for dinner. And now she’s making a big deal about me not respecting her wishes. If she wanted me to do something for her I’ll do it it’s not that big of a deal. I know she’s her own person but when you are in a relationship you sort of make compromises for one another. Am I the rear end in a top hat for asking her to put on ALITTLE makeup

Edit: just so everyone knows I’m a good boyfriend and we hardly ever fight. We are good for each other. We have alot of things in common and of course I see the value in her besides her outwards appearance. We are seeing this long term hopefully even though she can be alittle stubborn but every relationships have shells and layers that can be peeled it just takes time and that’s fine. I know makeup isn’t important but it’s a small compromise. I’m not forcing her to do anything she is free to do whatever she wants with her body. I’m 100% supportive of her decisions in life

OP posted:

I’m not a girl only girls wear makeup

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This poor man, only now discovering why all those other men look so much better than him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

OP posted:

I’m not a girl only girls wear makeup

erry goth dude ever is like, "izzat so"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hawowanlawow posted:

if she's constantly that late and she didn't get back until 3am, she was probably doing some stupid poo poo

I am reminded of stories of addicts giving people their kids 'Just for a little bit' before disappearing for a week or so on benders.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I am reminded of stories of addicts giving people their kids 'Just for a little bit' before disappearing for a week or so on benders.

Grew up with a girl who had that happen. Was dropped of at her grandparents by her mother for a week and just...never came back. Grandparents ended up with custody, and mother rolled in about once a year or so to crush her spirit with false hope and broken promises until even that stopped.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

erry goth dude ever is like, "izzat so"

Its not even goths anymore, young dudes globally are realizing that ladies like men with good skin just like the boy bands they follow and those dudes aren't naturally flawless.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Barudak posted:

Its not even goths anymore, young dudes globally are realizing that ladies like men with good skin just like the boy bands they follow and those dudes aren't naturally flawless.

backstreet boys, menudo, new kids on the block, who the gently caress ever

their big secret was foundation and concealer

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh and a voice like a castrato

not sure how you do that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

oh and a voice like a castrato

not sure how you do that

Right there in your post.

But seriously, most modern boy bands out of Korea and China and such have designated roles that are publicly stated like "the singer" "the rapper" "the dancer" "the interviewer" and "the gimmick" so I feel like young men should figure out which of these archetypes they align with.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Foo Diddley posted:

backstreet boys, menudo, new kids on the block, who the gently caress ever

their big secret was foundation and concealer

Fun Fact: One of my half-brothers was briefly in one of the iterations of Menudo.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Fun Fact: One of my half-brothers was briefly in one of the iterations of Menudo.

When he left the band did they hit him with a shovel and throw him into a woodchipper? I heard the producer made almost all the former members into dogfood......

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

Kobe beef, like all japanese meat cuts, is trash and there is a considerable market in Japan for imported and alternate cut beef to escape it.

This is what the "no green m&m" rider for bands was about. That sentence was in the stage setup instructions packet which included all the safety info, so if they walked into the backstage area and saw green m&ms in the bowl they knew the fuckers didn't read it and the stage was probably unsafe

Yeah it was their red flag to then check everything on their own. I think one stadium tried to get away with like high school stadium flooring equivalent and the band set-up sunk through the flooring and caused nearly 6 figures worth of damage that the promotor/stadium had to pay for.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Batterypowered7 posted:

lol i thought i was the only one who remembered menudo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Evil Willow posted:

Can he shave his nuts? It's such a little itty bitty favor. So little.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Menudo was huuuuuuge

O-Town always felt like a misleading name but its way better than like, THE NINE

Edit: By the way THE NINE only has 8 members

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Menudo was huuuuuuge

O-Town always felt like a misleading name but its way better than like, THE NINE

the ninth one is u, the listener

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Honestly, the only problem with the outfit is you'll probably run into atleast a couple other people who had the exact same idea

The year before Covid was the last time I went to the local Renaissance Faire, and I always go as a plague doctor. Been stopped and asked for pics many times, made some kids cry, even had some kids think I was from Assassin's Creed. Favorite costume ever. And other than the staff and hat, the rest of it came from the dollar store and Walmart.

Only once did I ever run into another plague doctor. But I did get singled out by the king, who stopped the morning parade to look me over before announcing "YE GODS the Plague is back!" and then had the rest of the group run like hell into the castle.

AITA for refusing to have a baby with my husband?

quote:

My husband (Jim)and I have been together for 15 years and married for 9 years. From the beginning of our relationship Jim has declared he doesn’t want kids but would compromise and have 1 child if I desired. When we were first married I wanted a child but he always refused saying it wasn’t the right time. Jim always blamed finances as an excuse to wait. We make a combine income of over $150,000 yearly (we live in 1 of the most affordable states), our home was paid for in cash, and the only debt we’ve ever had is student loans.

As the years have went by, I gave up on ever having a child as my husband has told me no for years. I was never angry about not having children. I can say I have fully lived my life the way I wanted to with limited responsibilities. I work in health care and have received a new degree that almost tripled my salary but I have to travel for work. My husband also has to travel a 1 hour commute to and from his job.

Lately, Jim’s family and coworkers have been telling him how strange it is that we don’t have children and pressuring him. Now Jim has suddenly decided after many years that we should have a child and I’m flabbergasted. In addition to him now wanting a child he keeps bringing it up in conversations saying that we’re weird.

I’d finally had enough and I went off on him because how dare you call me weird and throw us being childless in my face because you’ve never wanted a kid until recently. I was so mad that I told him that I don’t want children with him and I may consider divorce. Whether we had children or not was never a huge deal to me. I never pressured him but now he’s pressuring me. AITA?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Jfc dont have a kid with guy who just wants a kid because otherwise his coworkers think he is weird

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pnac attack posted:

the ninth one is u, the listener

Surprise! The ninth one was kicked out of the band before it debuted but after it was announced because she was on record saying some rape victims deserved it

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The year before Covid was the last time I went to the local Renaissance Faire, and I always go as a plague doctor. Been stopped and asked for pics many times, made some kids cry, even had some kids think I was from Assassin's Creed. Favorite costume ever. And other than the staff and hat, the rest of it came from the dollar store and Walmart.

Only once did I ever run into another plague doctor. But I did get singled out by the king, who stopped the morning parade to look me over before announcing "YE GODS the Plague is back!" and then had the rest of the group run like hell into the castle.

That rules I saw several of them at our faire this year and it was great. Some were absolutely done to the nines with fake potions and cures.

quote:

AITA for refusing to have a baby with my husband?

Southerner spotted. Run, lady. He'll just put a picture of the baby on his desk and do no parenting.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, she's probably just out doin' a little window cleaning. :wiggle:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Betazoid posted:

That rules I saw several of them at our faire this year and it was great. Some were absolutely done to the nines with fake potions and cures.

Southerner spotted. Run, lady. He'll just put a picture of the baby on his desk and do no parenting.

HEY he did his part, the actual babymaking! Like, he had to have lots of sex to do his part, all she had to do was grow the kid!

AITA for Refusing to Let My MIL Visit Her Grandchildren?

quote:

I (28f) live with my husband (28m) and our two daughters (13f) and (6f). Our daughters (who are biological sisters) were officially adopted before Covid hit, and they finally seem to be adjusting. They've endured hardships that no child should ever experience, and yet they're incredibly resilient. They're English is already impeccable, they're exceptionally kind, and they're just the bravest kids you'll ever know. But I suppose most mothers think that about their children. Anyway. My oldest was diagnosed with anorexia just before the move. Her whole world was changing around her, and her eating habits were the only thing she felt she had control over. Even though we hadn't known eachother for long, that was the most scared I've ever been in my life. She was in the PICU for a week and institutionalized afterwards. As of now, my daughter goes to therapy twice a week and is in recovery. She's made a lot of progress, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

Her birthday was yesterday, and we had a small party with family. My MIL has been a bit of a weight obsessed yoyo dieter for as long as I've known her, but I assumed she'd be understanding given what our baby has gone through. She got my daughter a Nutrisystem subscription. I'll admit I'm a bit unfamiliar with the program, but it's similar to Weight Watcher's. I immediately took the gift, and asked to speak with MIL outside, but she wasn't having it. I was trying to stay civil because I didn't want to cause a scene on my daughter's special day. But she turned to my daughter and said, "what there's nothing wrong with being healthy. I thought you wanted to drop the recent weight gain?" It was like watching the light in my daughter's face go dim. She was trying really hard not to cry, and was pouting, "I'm healthy. Dr. X says I'm healthy." I still don't know why my MIL thought this was appropriate at all, but she seems to have a very narrow view when it comes to beauty. She consistently says things like, "us girls have one second to look pretty and then it's gone." I didn't want the situation to escalate so I asked MIL to leave, and she eventually did.

I was serving breakfast this morning when my husband mentioned that MIL had lectured the girls about all the sugar in their favorite fruits and how it will lead to weight gain. (This conversation took place when I wasn't in the room) My husband only brought this up because our daughter didn't touch her apple or grapes. I was so overwhelmed and angry, I texted MIL, "If our daughter relapses because of you, you'll never see the girls again." Now, she's been trying to call me all day, panicking because she thinks she'll never see her grandkids again. My husband is pretty much on my side, but thinks I should back down on my threat. He said I can't control every trigger in the real world and he's worried about me babying the kids.

So AITA?

Getting some Beatrice Horseman vibes here. "Mother's little helpers!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cowslips Warren posted:

HEY he did his part, the actual babymaking! Like, he had to have lots of sex to do his part, all she had to do was grow the kid!

quote:

My husband is pretty much on my side, but thinks I should back down on my threat actually absolutely isn't, you absolute loving buffoon

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As someone who struggles with disordered eating, that fills me with an incandescent rage. Fire MIL and husband into the sun.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

They're English is already impeccable

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

If I had kids and my mom did this to them, I'd cut her out instantly. Luckily, I don't think she ever would. Grandparents should be someone you feel safe with, not judged.

Ugh, this one bothers me so much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spouse posted:

I mean, if we're being honest, she's probably just out doin' a little window cleaning. :wiggle:

Window Licking is a critical yet under-represented profession

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Clark Nova posted:

they're English

:kiss:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dad sees the daughter end up in the ICU for a week, and then just sits there and watches as his mother encourages her to go back there again, and wishes he could invite her back to do it more

wife: my husband is so good with our kids, such a great father and supports me so much

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cowslips Warren posted:

My daughter doesn't have an eating disorder and if someone tried to make her feel bad about her body, my reaction would escalate pretty quickly. There is no event I wouldn't immediately leave over that.

Anorexia is so loving dangerous and harmful and our society is totally complicit in it. Like, this lady just tried to shame your kid into hurting themselves. That's a "cut-off immediately, permanently" situation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i agree, cut off her head

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

:hmmyes:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

When he left the band did they hit him with a shovel and throw him into a woodchipper? I heard the producer made almost all the former members into dogfood......

No, no, he's still alive. I think.

Foo Diddley posted:

How could anyone forget Menudo? It's what got Ricky Martin on the path to stardom!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MarcusSA posted:

No but seriously how often to people actually get their windows gwashed where it would be a thing you need a regular guy for?

I live in a glass and steel hi rise and we get them washed like once every 6 months. Can’t see a suburban home being more often than that.

Edit: not in a coastal area, tho. Makes sense that you might need to clean salt off more often.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 28, 2021

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Mx. posted:

That's like 8 pounds gone, just like that!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Barudak posted:

Menudo was huuuuuuge

Aldmeri Dominion out! Praise Talos! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for making my roommate drive 4 hours home to clean her fish tank because I'm pissed she adopted a dog while filming on location?

quote:

Some background! I live in a mid-sized house with two roommates, let's call them Jess and Dave, my 115lb dog, and Jess's cat. Jess works in the film industry and regularly pulls 12-17hr days. When we all moved in together she just had an indoor/outdoor cat. She got a 15gal fish tank soon after we moved in, I told her that it's a lot of upkeep and this was all on her and she agreed. Outside of feeding them if she needed me to, I wanted no part of it because I'm not into fish.

Before we moved in together, she would talk about wanting a dog and I would just remind her of her lifestyle and be like, "hey maybe one day for sure but def not right now, you're just not around." She's brought it up several times and I've still been like, "hey yea bad idea!". I'm not trying to dictate her life but this impacts more than just her now, Dave works from home full-time and I work 8-5p.

Jess got a job working on a film set 2 months ago shooting on location 4 hrs away. When she left, her cat had to be in a cone, and get drops on his ears 2X a day to try and clear up the issue. Her cat was a HUGE rear end in a top hat about this. He'd scream all night (He can't sleep in my room), scratch the paint off my door, attack my feet and hair, wouldn't use the litter box unless you physically put him in it. It took a month of this, his ears are better and he's chilled out. Jess came home during this time for a wedding and cleaned her tank while she was here. A week later she sends me a video of a dog that says, "Meet Mona!". I asked if she was fostering and she says, "No, she's mine! See you at the end of Nov!". Now I'm livid at this point and stop responding to cool off. After a few days, I decide that's dumb and I need to keep communication open while she's gone and we can just shelve this for now.

Recently, her tank has started to get gross and I sent her a picture of it asking what she was going to do about this, her response was, "Oh I can just call you and walk you through it." That was a week and a half ago and neither Dave nor I want to do it, and reality is setting in that a dog is coming back with Jess a month from now and I'm just angry. It took 3 months to get my dog used to her cat, he'd never lived with one before and would freak out any time he came around. We don't know how this dog is with other animals and is that just going to be on me and Dave to deal with?

I've talked to Dave about it and he thinks that her decision was shortsighted. She found herself in an "ideal" situation for a few months and decided just do it even though she knew that we were against it. It feels inconsiderate of our living situation and disrespectful considering that we have been taking care of HER animals for months. We also JUST signed a new lease and I don't know if I'm even comfortable living with her anymore, this was so blatantly a gently caress you. Am I being an rear end in a top hat asking her to drive back on the weekend to do it herself? I JUST DON'T WANT TO CLEAN THE loving FISH TANK!!!