Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Fortunately avoiding carrier life, but never been an outdoorsman. I guess I can try and start. Seattle will be fun at least, and I've never been to Canada--I bet Vancouver 's fun, thanks for the tips all.

Elviscat posted:

On that note, something I forgot to mention when I was complaining about 21 class berthing is something called "mega mat" which is a TR mod that's a 10x2 configuration of mattresses laid directly next to each other, no dividers of any sort, so it's essentially one giant mattress with 20 people sleeping on it, rolling onto each other and poo poo, and of course completely COVID unsafe. So with the loss of berthing we have sailors forced to sleep there every night, completely unseperated from their shipmates.

What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

piL posted:

Fortunately avoiding carrier life, but never been an outdoorsman. I guess I can try and start. Seattle will be fun at least, and I've never been to Canada--I bet Vancouver 's fun, thanks for the tips all.

What in the gently caress?

Seattle's great, Vancouver has night life on par with any city I've ever been in, including NYC and Boston, microbreweries and such are everywhere.

Even if the outdoors aren't your thing, at least get to the ice caves aka "big four" if you're looking at a NFS map, the hike's only 1 mile and is wheelchair accessible, also take a car trip of the Olympic Peninsula if you're lucky enough to be here for a summer, there's everything from WWII gun emplacements to one of the very few rain forests in the contiguous US to explore.

Here's a visual depiction of "Mega Mat" lines are matress boundaries only, not physical barriers of any sort, curtains hang around the outside.

E: When I have bandwidth I'll upload some pictures of the boat's short-lived mascot, the cat named "Arsenal" or "Crash Meowntain" depending on who you ask. He hung out with us on the quarterdeck, meowing at everyone that went aboard or came ashore until he passed away about a week after we arrived, he was a very sickly kitty.

E2:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 23, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I did the Olympic loop right after I bought my Subaru. Went up Hurricane Ridge like it was Pikes Peak. Much fun was had.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I did the Olympic loop right after I bought my Subaru. Went up Hurricane Ridge like it was Pikes Peak. Much fun was had.

I thought those were issued to everyone upon moving to the PNW.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

piL posted:

I had a Nissan when I moved to central Oregon, then I started skiing and the obvious upgrade choice was a Subaru. I own a nice orange cross trek now.

My Car (with parking space marker):

My Co-pilot:

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 23, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

piL posted:

I just got hosed by Supply Admin I guess.

(no regrets, love you Suby *sunset hearthands*)

If I'm being honest with myself, I am also probably going Crosstrek when my '09 Impreza crosses the rainbrow bridge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just bought a Tacoma for life up here. God I love having a vehicle that’s super easy to toss a yak in and go. Strapping to the roof is for the birds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Reviews for the crosstrek were kinda poor when I was looking, didn't they just take a forester frame and add a different body or something? How is it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Reviews for the crosstrek were kinda poor when I was looking, didn't they just take a forester frame and add a different body or something? How is it?

It’s a beefed up Impreza and apparently there was a HP jump great enough for one of coworkers to trade his 2018 model in for he current one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I absolutely love mine because I can get up to the mountain really easily while the vehicle is still reasonable sized. I did not want a huge vehicle that was going to be a pain to park. I drive a 2019, so I cannot speak to the newest models. I also think it is pretty comfortable to drive and has a lot of nice convenience features. I don't speed though, so if you want to be like the junior enlisted and drive like a maniac I don't know how enjoyable the car would be.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

It’s a beefed up Impreza and apparently there was a HP jump great enough for one of coworkers to trade his 2018 model in for he current one.

They upped the engine from a 2.0L to 2.5L (which is what it is in my Impreza, 2020 IIRC). I have friends that have the 2.0 and say it is "quite" gutless.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Most subaru engines are gutless, ask me about my 16 outback.

Everything else about the car is great but yea the gotta go fast factor is not there. I test drove the newer turbos and they're not the best

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PneumonicBook posted:

Most subaru engines are gutless, ask me about my 16 outback.

Everything else about the car is great but yea the gotta go fast factor is not there. I test drove the newer turbos and they're not the best

I wish Subaru would ditch their CVTs (2016 Legacy owner). The manual Subies are legendary, but they're nixing them from their lineup.

Another car to try are the CX-30 and CX-5 with the turbo. Mazda's still using a classic six-speed automatic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crossposting from C/E because there was a discussion of sinking rogue cargo containers earlier:

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1452033836879994880

They're from a burning container vessel in the Juan de Fuca Strait. I assume unless the Coast Guard tries to tow them to shore, someone's gonna have to sink these.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 24, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Another car to try are the CX-30 and CX-5 with the turbo. Mazda's still using a classic six-speed automatic.

Going (more) off-topic here, but the Mazda Skyactiv automatics are great. They almost completely nixed the slushbox feel, and it's like driving a manual most of the time, you just don't have a clutch pedal to worry about.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Going (more) off-topic here, but the Mazda Skyactiv automatics are great. They almost completely nixed the slushbox feel, and it's like driving a manual most of the time, you just don't have a clutch pedal to worry about.

I don’t know about anyone else here but personally I feel like a car that tries to be a manual but without the clutch pedal just seems dumb.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Crossposting from C/E because there was a discussion of sinking rogue cargo containers earlier:

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1452033836879994880

They're from a burning container vessel in the Juan de Fuca Strait. I assume unless the Coast Guard tries to tow them to shore, someone's gonna have to sink these.

Hopefully they're full of Garfield phones.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I don’t know about anyone else here but personally I feel like a car that tries to be a manual but without the clutch pedal just seems dumb.

It's just quick in it's shifts instead of floating around for an extended period. Still not manual feeling. Just crisper like a dsg automatic feeling

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Surely this will help the cargo ship situation

https://twitter.com/ScottSeattleWx/status/1452289237374676996?s=20

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

King of Bees posted:

Hopefully they're full of Garfield phones.

Even better, they're full of HAZMAT (likely). One of the burning ones is Potassium Amyl Xanthate. (From GiP Current events via PYF Favorite Chemicals [forums incest is fun!])

Kesper North posted:

https://twitter.com/JasmineBala_/status/1452092929711874052?s=20

When exposed to water, potassium amylxanthate decomposes into carbon disulfide, which is

a) quite flammable
b) neurotoxic

I feel for the crew.

edit: JESUS CHRIST

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If this fucks up my winter crabbing season I’m gonna be pissed.

Hopefully dilution is the solution but gently caress couldn’t they steam straight for the ocean?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Nasty storm out there, container ship so full recirc might have some gaps or they might not even be able to do it. Theoretically they should be steaming with the fire on the downwind side and they would be good but at anchor its way too late, they were evacuating crew yesterday. Plus the fires moving into the container stack which could be very bad depending on whats around it.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Nasty storm out there, container ship so full recirc might have some gaps or they might not even be able to do it. Theoretically they should be steaming with the fire on the downwind side and they would be good but at anchor its way too late, they were evacuating crew yesterday. Plus the fires moving into the container stack which could be very bad depending on whats around it.

I saw the story and it's just kind of like container ship... hazmat... storm... container stack fire... evacuation. This story only ends in a bunch of toxic fire and twisted metal really. A container ship can do two things, go in a straight line at a fixed speed, and have a bunch of boxes put on it. Anything else is a huge ask.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo being on the other side of wild conspiracy theories is entertaining.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We know you hit that alien base disguised as a Chinese fish farm while you were trying to recover the recording from an EP-3 that crashed twenty years ago while monitoring a soviet ship of a previously unrecorded design.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

We know you hit that alien base disguised as a Chinese fish farm while you were trying to recover the recording from an EP-3 that crashed twenty years ago while monitoring a soviet ship of a previously unrecorded design.

A full decade after the Soviet Union ceased to be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CMD598 posted:

A full decade after the Soviet Union ceased to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77JFw2D6f8&t=31s

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 31, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pretty cool to find out the results of the investigation/what we hit through the news and not my CoC.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elviscat posted:

Pretty cool to find out the results of the investigation/what we hit through the news and not my CoC.

Oof. I saw your post in the thread and came over to see what your take was. Not what I was expecting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

They're busy trying to learn how to write a civilian resume.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

That's definitely a healthy command environment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh what did you hit?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's definitely a healthy command environment.

Oh yeah.

Crab Dad posted:

Uh what did you hit?

Mountain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/01/politics/navy-submarine-underwater-mountain/index.html

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JECurtis_WA/status/1455622859590553604?t=CwBbnv_x8cA4wQ6oO5Y2LA&s=19

11 year Second Class...so a Seabee

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or any other idiot rate like BM or CS. I figure they’ll just HYT adsep him next year regardless. Isn’t it 12 for E5 or is it 12 for E4?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a ridiculous number like sixteen to make first now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

11 year E5 is a junior 2nd in the Bees

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

I thought it was a ridiculous number like sixteen to make first now.

After I think about it some more, I think it's 12 for E4 and 16 for E5. E6 is at 20.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
These fucks claiming the order is unlawful, or the idiot on Facebook claiming she wasn’t allowed outside this summer, are helpful reminders of why lawyers stay employed.

Laws: turns out you have to read the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress i remember the 20 year E5s getting ready to retire in the early aughts. They were so calm and beatific. If i also remember right back then it was next to impossible to rank up in the air force so 20y 5s were fairly common.