Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
"If we had another 30 days what would we do? We could document absolutely everything and something could still go wrong on the day" - my boss, 10 mins ago

:wtc:

I wonder if I could get a new job in the next 3 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

“Why prepare for anything, you might gently caress up on the day?”

Sounds like a culture of just loving up all day long with no accountability.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I assure you there will be accountability. If by that, you mean a scapegoat named MustardFacial, then yes, someone will certainly be held accountable.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skooma512 posted:

I assure you there will be accountability. If by that, you mean a scapegoat named MustardFacial, then yes, someone will certainly be held accountable.

"MustardFacial was pointing out before we even got there that these problems would come up! He KNEW! He clearly must have caused them! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES TIME!"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Even by the standards set in this thread it seems unlikely they can successfully pin everything on the poor sod who literally just joined the company.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Goddammit. We use PAX readers.

They predate me by a healthy amount, at least.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This, this right here is amazing.

I just sent it to my director with a little note that said hey guess I was right about these things being loaded with chinese malware/spyware.

No response yet lol

We are/were(hopefully) about to deploy these readers to over 100 hospital/physician sites in 10 different states lol

They've already been connected to our network though, so I have to imagine the damage might already be done.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

This, this right here is amazing.

I just sent it to my director with a little note that said hey guess I was right about these things being loaded with chinese malware/spyware.

No response yet lol

We are/were(hopefully) about to deploy these readers to over 100 hospital/physician sites in 10 different states lol

They've already been connected to our network though, so I have to imagine the damage might already be done.

There's a great resume bullet to be had in there somewhere. You might need to take a poetic license with it but I can clearly see how you rooted out the chinese malware and likely triggered an FBI raid...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Got blasted with like 6 tickets in the first 15 minutes of this morning.

One was a "huge emergency". User can't get into their laptop because of 2FA. And of course the laptop has < 5% charge, has 3 layers of crud on/in it, etc. Phone screen is all cracked to poo poo.

Also she has bronchitis and is coughing non loving stop. This is one of those people who are too busy to let you fix their computer, they give you 2 minutes, get mad, and say "Just let me get to my email and I can work" so there's 13 other things that need fixed on their machine.

Boss comes in putting boxes of cell phones on the desks. Someone wants to buy an iPhone 7 how do I tell which ones those are! "There's a model number on the back in tiny hard to read numbers"

Also this week l am training the new lady in my department on stuff, I asked her to unlock my admin user account, she instead resets the password to my regular user account....no big deal and simple mistake but :argh:

Meanwhile all this chaos is going on and people are lining up outside the door. Put in a drat ticket, people.

On the bright side, the camera vendor that was supposed to show up at 9:00am didn't show up until noon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bronchitis lady called back. Was too hosed up on cold meds earlier and doesn't remember any of her passwords or PIN. Jesus gently caress

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bob Morales posted:

Bronchitis lady called back. Was too hosed up on cold meds earlier and doesn't remember any of her passwords or PIN. Jesus gently caress

:laugh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You should have chewed her out - you'd feel better and she wouldn't have remembered any of it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Who in the gently caress is coming to work with "bronchitis" during a respiratory pandemic?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

guppy posted:

Who in the gently caress is coming to work with "bronchitis" during a respiratory pandemic?

Her Covid test was negative and she was wearing a mask

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Who gives a poo poo? Stay home. I don't want your bronchitis either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you know it can wait until tomorrow why are you messaging me on Teams at 1AM? You know that poo poo goes to my cellphone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KillHour posted:

If you know it can wait until tomorrow why are you messaging me on Teams at 1AM? You know that poo poo goes to my cellphone.

You answered the first half with the 2nd half?

That's why you can schedule notifications in Teams.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You answered the first half with the 2nd half?

That's why you can schedule notifications in Teams.

I could but then if there was an actual emergency my customer wouldn't be able to reach me. It's just this one guy who always does this poo poo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You don't use Teams for that. You use a (proper) ticketing system with push notifications :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some people seem unable to have a thought and then note it down for a more appropriate time. It's like those people who spend Friday afternoons making everything in their inbox someone else's problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

Her Covid test was negative and she was wearing a mask

Well, that's good at least. Still, you'd think this would have given people a wake-up call that nobody wants their communicable diseases.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

guppy posted:

This person:

Bob Morales posted:

This is one of those people who are too busy to let you fix their computer, they give you 2 minutes, get mad, and say "Just let me get to my email and I can work"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It could also be related to a poo poo work environment that doesn't offer meaningful sick leave and etc. but yeah they just sound like a miserable person in general so.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

KillHour posted:

iOS Teams Notifications settings has a "Quiet Time" mode for your systemic-protection-of-personal-life needs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

iOS Teams Notifications settings has a "Quiet Time" mode for your systemic-protection-of-personal-life needs.

But it can't tell the difference between "everything is hosed oh God" and "I submitted a PR but it looks weird"

I'm just going to tell that guy's boss that he's costing them money because I bill ruthlessly for that poo poo.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The good: The boss uist pulled the plug on a powershell project I'd been given because there has been so many changes to the spec, and so much scope creep that it was now way beyong what we should be doing as a server team, and now we're not doing it at all.

The bad: He waited until two weeks after the latest spec change, by which point I'd implemented all the changes and restructured the script so it was all nicely laid out with a flexible XML config file ready to take most predicted future spec changes without having to alter the code again.

Two weeks of coding that will never see use

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KillHour posted:

I sleep with my phone on dnd. The only thing that gets through that is PagerDuty and my family’s numbers. If it’s urgent, page the oncall rotation.

… which someone did at 0415 on Tuesday since deploys were blocked! The staging cluster wasn’t working and it had to be a terraform PR that was merged that caused this!!!

Upon closer examination, it was weird poo poo going on in python dependencies that totally could have been diagnosed and rectified by that team without involving my team.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

KillHour posted:

But it can't tell the difference between "everything is hosed oh God" and "I submitted a PR but it looks weird"

I'm just going to tell that guy's boss that he's costing them money because I bill ruthlessly for that poo poo.

Add VIPs to your DND bypass in iOS?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Add VIPs to your DND bypass in iOS?

Well, for one, I'm not on iOS and I'm a consultant so it's my personal phone, not something managed by an enterprise. But also, this guy is the loving staff engineer he should be able to contact me after hours but he should also loving know better!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

"Everything is hosed oh God" should not be coming through a Teams message. It should be a call or some other dedicate notification system. After-hours instant messages should always be considered asynchronous and not used for things that need immediate responses. They should be treated as the digital equivalent of leaving a note on someone's desk.

Also I don't know if Teams has this, but Slack has an option where if something is an emergency I can choose to override someone's quiet hours setting and have it sent a notification (though this still does not affect any OS-level DND settings that may be enabled).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Lum posted:

The good: The boss uist pulled the plug on a powershell project I'd been given because there has been so many changes to the spec, and so much scope creep that it was now way beyong what we should be doing as a server team, and now we're not doing it at all.

The bad: He waited until two weeks after the latest spec change, by which point I'd implemented all the changes and restructured the script so it was all nicely laid out with a flexible XML config file ready to take most predicted future spec changes without having to alter the code again.

Two weeks of coding that will never see use

If I've learned anything from the past 10 years its that 90% of my work will never be used or seen and be forgotten forever to the gaping maw that is the repo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

"Everything is hosed oh God" should not be coming through a Teams message. It should be a call or some other dedicate notification system. After-hours instant messages should always be considered asynchronous.

Also I don't know if Teams has this, but Slack has an option where if something is an emergency I can choose to override someone's quiet hours setting and have it sent a notification (though this still does not affect any OS-level DND settings that may be enabled).

And my company has a ticketing system with all that stuff built in (but it doesn't notify me personally because I'm not in a support role; I'm professional services). I could go down the path of "Hey I'm unreachable after hours unless you file critical SLA ticket and have the project manager call me because lol I'm not giving everyone here my cell." but I don't want to because 99.9% of people there are extremely respectful of my time and only bother me at reasonable times and it's frankly a good look for me to be as responsive as possible - I want to keep getting my contract renewed every quarter. It's just this one particular guy who does it and I don't want to make it a pain for everyone else just because of him. But I will complain about him loudly until he stops loving doing it.

Basically, I want to be reachable via Teams at any time. I get paid enough to do that for them. Just use your goddamn brain about it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 29, 2021

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

KillHour posted:

But also, this guy is the loving staff engineer he should be able to contact me after hours but he should also loving know better!

Why research something when they have their own personal human StackExchange? Sorry, you've gotta put up your own physical work limits. I did and life's never been sweeter. Engineers can't escalate directly to me off-hours, but they can escalate to their managers, who then call me. Let the managers manage, and they are bypassed on my DND.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Why research something when they have their own personal human StackExchange? Sorry, you've gotta put up your own physical work limits. I did and life's never been sweeter. Engineers can't escalate directly to me off-hours, but they can escalate to their managers, who then call me. Let the managers manage, and they are bypassed on my DND.

I hear this but honestly I'm not a 9-5 kind of guy. I don't want to change the entire way I work with the other 2 dozen people I communicate with because one of them is an idiot. I'm totally happy with my current arrangement where "I bill you big-boy money so I can afford nice cars and we treat each other like adults." I've been working with them this way for more than 2 and a half years and it's been great until this guy showed up.

In other news - he managed to completely stuff up his git branch because he doesn't know the difference between a rebase and a merge and it's not my job to walk him through fixing it so I told him to gently caress off. Did I mention this guy is a staff engineer?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

I'm so loving pissed.

Background: I've been working at this company for 3 weeks.

We have a large datacentre move that requires a full company shutdown with no system redundancy, and everyone around me is treating it like it's amateur hour. There is barely any documentation, none of the teams are really talking to each other, the one guy who actually knows how any of this works is not there, we're waiting on parts, we don't know how the system is built, we don't know where things are going, we don't have a rollback plan, we don't have a DR plan. Oh and we have 3 days to get it done with no option to push it back.

I have been told for the last two weeks that the docs are done, it's only now that I look at them (was finishing up another task for the last week) that all of the cabling diagrams are listing vmnics, not the actual NIC. Two whole switches have nothing filled out for them, one of them isn't even in the document.

When I asked "Hey what's the physical nic for vmnic0?" the response I got back was "good question."

This motherfucker is supposed to be an Infrastructure Architect and he's telling me "we have the current config, we trace cables, make a note. Not a big deal"

You loving rear end in a top hat we have 8 hours to move everything, we can't do that and document on the fly in that time dickhead. This is a big deal.

Update:

SFP cables didn't show up on time. This has been pushed one week. I have been given the task to fix all of the things I was mad about. Guess I've got some trips to the datacentre to make.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1453610771141779458

I... gently caress. This made me have a lot of feelings in a very short time. :smithicide:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MustardFacial posted:

Update:

SFP cables didn't show up on time. This has been pushed one week. I have been given the task to fix all of the things I was mad about. Guess I've got some trips to the datacentre to make.

Once upon a time I did a move of our gear into a data center by myself. It was me and two moving guys to help me rack and cable.

I had from Friday at 5pm until Monday at 6 am to get it done and you better believe I spent the month ahead of time creating a Gantt chart, a playbook and taking pictures and labeling everything.

It was four cabinets of gear for a medium sized company and I knew that by Saturday night I’d be dingy as hell and wouldn’t be in any condition to do critical thinking.

Sure enough, Sunday morning came and things were going just fine but I was so tired I said many thank-yous to Agrikk-of-the-past for bring crazy organized so I could just cross out steps in the playbook and not have to think anymore.

I can’t imagine winging a data center move involving multiple teams and a huge amount of kit without serious docs and a dry run or two.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Update:

You mean job applications to put in. Now that you and your big mouth have been given responsibility, you'll be blamed for anything that goes wrong or is incomplete in the documentation you don't have enough time to do properly.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Pissing me off - In a big teams channel someone decides to show their inner racist without even trying to mask it.

Not pissing me off - Their account is gone in minutes and time for them to find another job. Kudos to HR for acting swiftly - never seen them do anything in under months before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MSP came on site to connect a couple LACP's

While they were going to be here they decided to update firmware on switches

loving pointless IMO

Guy is trying to figure out why 3/4 members of the stack won't boot up or take the new images

Been here since 9:00am and it's 1:30pm

Still didn't update the Fortinet either. The image he brought with him was "not signed by Fortinet"

Bet the HA pair doesn't come back up after they upgrade...won't be home until 3:00p