Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

snergle posted:

i assumed she wasnt white because the the touching. lots of i never saw a black person time to touch their hair.

I assumed as well. Knew a few black people in China who would pretty much have to swat people's hands away from their hair like flies whenever they rode the bus. The only instance I know of where people were constantly touching someone's skin/hair who was not a person of colour was a coworker I mentioned here before. She had random people touching her hair and skin all the time. The worst part was that she was 90% fluent in Mandarin so she could understand every creep guy saying sexual things about her, and every rude woman mocking her appearance. It got to the point where I had to hold her hand and give her pecks on the cheek to scare guys off (we were not an item).

Close approximation of what she looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Booty Pageant posted:

in another realm during different times this would have evolved into a grand story

No Chaoshan girls were involved in this story.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

therobit posted:

Yeah I lived in a tiny rear end town in Akita for two years and while housewives would stare at us from their windows and everyone knew our movements and gossiped about us, nobody ever spit and mistreatment was rare. Like if someone was mean it had to do with a drunk rear end in a top hat at a festival who was pissed at one of the other gaijin for dating a Japanese girl. Tokyo was a little less polite but people were pretty used to foreigners there. Guess most of my experience is in Eastern Honshu though so maybe it’s really bad elsewhere.

Get the gently caress outta here. Where in Akita? Also when?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

All I got in Taiwan was kids stroking my hairy legs if I wore shorts, and lots of people wanting photos. A woman I know who went to Korea almost got grabbed and shoved into a white van, but managed to break free and run for it (that's the entirety of the story). There are some pretty unfortunate gender differences when traveling to Asia.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
That mailed underwear story reads like a plot of a JAV

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Asian people never treated me weird but a chinese girl once told me that I "look like someone who beats people up" so maybe they were just afraid of me.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

Asian people never treated me weird but a chinese girl once told me that I "look like someone who beats people up" so maybe they were just afraid of me.

Well, are you…?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Stink Billyums posted:

i too have been told i look very thuggish, especially after I shaved my head.
I"ve been told that by my own mother though, so I'm not putting this purely onto an Asian mindset.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I'm Méxican, so I get asked if I'm Indian or I'm invisible. Being brown is weird, because you don't get that much attention as black or brown people.

It's great when I want to be left alone.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The littlest kids at school will stroke my hairy arms, but nobody else pays much attention.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The longer I live in Japan the more people ignore me, having kids and not being a bumbling idiot gives me an aura of localism I guess

Also I'm on the front page of the local newspaper this week so anyone who doesn't already know me will recognize me now!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

im glad im not alone in kids coming up to touch my hairy arms and legs

peanut posted:

The longer I live in Japan the more people ignore me, having kids and not being a bumbling idiot gives me an aura of localism I guess

Also I'm on the front page of the local newspaper this week so anyone who doesn't already know me will recognize me now!

what did u do

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's Spiderman obviously

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

peanut posted:

It is illegal to post something like this without including a picture

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was standing on a street corner in Seoul with a buddy of mine in Hongdae or Itaewon and a Korean girl approached us and asked if she could stand next to us while she waited for her friends because we looked safe and no one would bother her so long as we were near her.

I had a hell of a shiner from eating a headbutt a week earlier at the time so maybe that was a factor.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Devils Affricate posted:

It is illegal to post something like this without including a picture

Complete with black box over the eyes

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can read the original and my translation on my work blog lol
https://www.laneyiizuka.com/

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's Spiderman obviously

"Whatever A Spider Can" then, I guess.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

sticksy posted:

Well, are you…?

Never been in a fight in my life, which is perhaps a benefit of looking like you beat people up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ailumao posted:

im glad im not alone in kids coming up to touch my hairy arms and legs

And being called a monkey. That was one of the first words I learned in Korean.

Kharnifex posted:

When I was a student in Japan I didn't really know Japanese and had a teacher to get me up to scratch to pass the regional entry test, I did pretty well. She was at least double my age.

This story was good.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I would like to weigh in on this but I don't really feel like another round of being called a racist and a liar. But I will say that over 6 years of men in Asian workplaces prepared me well to deal with the cringing basement-dwelling scrotes I worked with last year in Not Asia! A male virgin mansplained lesbian sex to me. On my coffee break. With no prompting. And that was just the beginning.

*stumbles out of SA prison after a month, squints at the sun, blinks*
[slurring] wellll I mean have u considered not being a racist and a liar

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this is a joke fleta I always had ur back in the old china days

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
also I don't know if this was ever posted in this thread, but there was a QCS thread about how mods are colluding to ban Chinese posters. when I was on probation I went deep hunting on ways to shitpost and found this and it was one of the funniest things I have read in 14 years on this forum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972542

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is a joke fleta I always had ur back in the old china days

I know buddy :unsmith: glad to see you!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

also I don't know if this was ever posted in this thread, but there was a QCS thread about how mods are colluding to ban Chinese posters. when I was on probation I went deep hunting on ways to shitpost and found this and it was one of the funniest things I have read in 14 years on this forum.

I never know which of the various qcs things to read because my knowledge of weird forums politics is insufficient, but that was a pro click.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I was watching Taiwanese news a couple weeks ago and they had a story about people in China going hog wild at a butcher shop: just like that one Thailand tourist video where there were digging plates into bowls of shrimp, but this time it was sides of pork. I was hoping the video would find its way here but it never did. Has anyone else seen this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember videos of people fighting over hunks of pork from the opening of Shanghai Costco but that's all I got.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfO4gpML4g

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I was watching Taiwanese news a couple weeks ago and they had a story about people in China going hog wild at a butcher shop: just like that one Thailand tourist video where there were digging plates into bowls of shrimp, but this time it was sides of pork. I was hoping the video would find its way here but it never did. Has anyone else seen this?

my old folks probably had flashbacks when they saw the brexit fuel crisis on hk news and immediately thought they needed to stock up and expect society to collapse, despite living an entire continent away... just chinese boomer things

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GoutPatrol posted:

Did it just happen? Cuz yeah this was happening all over, I was at a butcher shop during something exactly like that a couple weeks ago lol.

The price of pork has been crazy high for the longest time, it was a real problem. Then, suddenly, a few weeks ago it just absolutely plummeted, suddenly pork was super cheap. So everybody panicked, cuz who knows if pork is going to stay cheap?

My freezer is full of pork now.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Pork used so much itt that it no longer looks like a word.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

Did it just happen? Cuz yeah this was happening all over, I was at a butcher shop during something exactly like that a couple weeks ago lol.

The price of pork has been crazy high for the longest time, it was a real problem. Then, suddenly, a few weeks ago it just absolutely plummeted, suddenly pork was super cheap. So everybody panicked, cuz who knows if pork is going to stay cheap?

My freezer is full of pork now.

Any idea where the price change came from?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

And being called a monkey. That was one of the first words I learned in Korean.

This story was good.

My coteacher pointed to the hair on my arm and said the he was more evolved than me. That, uh, was a foundational moment in our relationship and how I felt about Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

My coteacher pointed to the hair on my arm and said the he was more evolved than me. That, uh, was a foundational moment in our relationship and how I felt about Korea.

Nice. I moved there like a week before the Tohoku earthquake so the reaction to that was my unfortunate foundational moment with Korea.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Holy poo poo what an amazing self own. Mods repeatedly going "ok, what do you actually want?" while OP bullshits them until he gets banned. Then all-star china poster CAPS LOCK BROKEN jumping in to defend his honor and getting banned as well :hmbol:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Any idea where the price change came from?

I've been trying to figure this out but I haven't gotten an answer. There were tons of reasons the price was so high in the first place, that all made sense. It was just weird how it plummeted so suddenly.

The Internet says "excess pork production", which makes sense because I imagine there was a huge growth in pork production when the prices got so high in the first place.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Pigs seizing the means of reproduction

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
some animals are more equal etc.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think this was how we got government cheese before, cheese reserves opening up to stabilize the cheese prices so maybe we'll get government pork

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China does have a state pork reserve so it could very well be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Atopian posted:

Pigs seizing the means of reproduction

Reporkduction, surely?