Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Packages shipped from overseas are x-rayed and they only open stuff when they think they see something on the x-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I was very surprised last trip that they actually checked my bags. I'd never had that happen in Japan before, I suspected it was pre-Olympics tightening.

the only time I was actually stopped and checked I was looking very tired and was emotionally on edge, but considering I was looking haggard and bringing a duffle bag back from Thailand that probably fit some profile they have.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Same, but coming from Amsterdam.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Let me go to Japan

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol no

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Over 67% vaxxed now.

Kids will start getting shots soon, too. Japan is gonna be over 90% fairly soonish.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I hope they extend it to even younger kids. My kid is only 2 so I dunno how long we will be waiting.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My town is already vaxing 12 year olds. Total is still around 60% this week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Over 67% vaxxed now.

For the first shot, yeah? I thought both was ~50%.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Over 67% vaxxed now.

Kids will start getting shots soon, too. Japan is gonna be over 90% fairly soonish.
Would love to believe this but it sounds like discosturecordsales.jpg

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The olds closing in on 90% vaxxed already is pretty encouraging.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

stay out until my kids are immunized, you filthy foreigners

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

stay out until my kids are immunized, you filthy foreigners

I'll trade 5 famichiki for 1 dose of Mederna Vax that fell off the back of a truck.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hakuho retired

So basically RIP to sumo attendance

Wish I could have got to see him brawl before he quit but nope

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

owned

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Hakuho retired

So basically RIP to sumo attendance

nah, sumo always gets good attendance. the event itself is the draw. but also Hakuho is an absolute legend and has set the records so far beyond what anyone can accomplish it's not even funny.

the sumo thread in PunchSport Pagoda is a great resource for anyone wanting to follow or learn more about sumo :unsmith:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan is almost 10% ahead of the US in vaccines now. That's in 1 and 2 doses.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

next up is france and they'll probably be beating out canada by the end of the year, huh

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow weird I thought the Japanese were extremely vaccine hesitant could my stereotyping have been wrong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

next up is france and they'll probably be beating out canada by the end of the year, huh

At the rate they are going they will be #3 sometime in November. Unless they choose not to do the kids and wait and see what happens in the US again. Then there will be another delay like earlier this year.

They should still pass 80% fairly soon.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Wow weird I thought the Japanese were extremely vaccine hesitant could my stereotyping have been wrong

At the risk of generalizing further, I think a lot of those hesitant people will still get the jab if pushed a little by friends or colleagues, rather than dig their heels in.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah hopefully, but demand's starting to drop now that cases have cratered. I think it will stall at around 80% with a small bump if cases start rising at the end of the month.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

At the risk of generalizing further, I think a lot of those hesitant people will still get the jab if pushed a little by friends or colleagues, rather than dig their heels in.

Or if Japan does a France and requires vaccination for accessing parts of normal life, like restaurants and movie theaters and sports stadiums. Requiring a negative COVID test instead of vaccinations isn’t really a long term option — once vaccinations are in less demand and still available, the test option should really only be for immuno-compromised people and not for idiots afraid of a needle.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

Or if Japan does a France and requires vaccination for accessing parts of normal life, like restaurants and movie theaters and sports stadiums. Requiring a negative COVID test instead of vaccinations isn’t really a long term option — once vaccinations are in less demand and still available, the test option should really only be for immuno-compromised people and not for idiots afraid of a needle.

I’m all for requiring a vaccine passport for public events. Especially those massive lives like Fuji Rock, or indoor concerts for that matter.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I preapplied for the ticket lottery for Kyary Pyamu Pyamu 2022 tour

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/eqalarm/status/1446108752835321881

I hate the phone earthquake alarm so very much. Hope nobody’s got anything worse than a shot of adrenaline and a book off the shelf.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty decent shake in Saitama but yeah just momentary adrenaline. Having experienced 2011, I still have that sense for when it's actually going to be the real poo poo.

Then I went down this rabbit hole, so cool can't wait to probably experience the second historic Japanese earthquake in my life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nankai_megathrust_earthquakes?wprov=sfla1

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Lol CNN is really overselling things here. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/07/asia/japan-earthquake-chiba-intl/index.html

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

The phone alarm scared the crap out of me but it didnt seem any worse than that Fukushima aftershock awhile back thankfully.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
COVID cases seem to have dropped considerably, lately? Maybe I'm not being too optimistic to hope for a trip in March?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven’t cancelled my trip in May yet but I’m still fully expecting to.

I think they’re still working on vax passports and such, and also I’m not certain I really want to be in the first wave of travellers. If travel in May is a thing I’d like to think I apply a little critical thinking before I just hop on a plane desperate to travel, but who knows.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I think the two biggest hurdles are the country opening for general tourism, then reduction of the quarantine period / early restrictions for people who can't spend a month off / remote for the trip. It might be possible for tourism to resume by May (the numbers are certainly good enough) but who knows when the actual policy changes will be made. Japan is generally quick to add restrictions but slow to remove them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Last I read they are starting to prep for opening up. They hadn't put any time into it until recently which seems to have upset people in the travel industry because it would be good to already have plans in place.

Japan is over 70% fully vaxxed and 77% 1 shot. Still going up pretty fast but it has slowed a bit. Probably because there aren't as many people left.

Are they doing kids yet?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Waltzing Along posted:

Are they doing kids yet?

12 and up. Did a quick google and Ibaraki, which seems to be doing better than national averages vaccination-wise, is at 76% one shot, 54% two shots for 12-19 year-olds.

https://ibarakinews.jp/news/newsdetail.php?f_jun=16353481529017

Hoping one of the vaccines gets approved for 6-11 so I can get my little disease vectors dosed soon.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Mr. Fix It posted:

Hoping one of the vaccines gets approved for 6-11 so I can get my little disease vectors dosed soon.

:same:
Mine is still too young to even hit that bracket but it would still be a big relief since we have so many school age kids where we live.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Reckon they might look at how bad the winter case bump is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My gut feeling is that barring some super-strain Japan will be open a month or so before Sakura and ready to welcome guests for the Spring.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

My gut feeling is that barring some super-strain Japan will be open a month or so before Sakura and ready to welcome guests for the Spring.

this being Japan we might get the "residents (citizens/foreigners on work visas) with full vaccination don't have to quarantine after international travel" too late to book air tickets back home for Christmas, and once that doesn't show any bump, we'll have tourists and business allowed back in before April to hit the fiscal year.

so that March trip is a maybe but May I would be more confident of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol I am searching flights to visit the US in January, and my biggest restriction is that Japan requires a 2 week quarantine on arrival. You can quarantine at home, but you can't take public transportation (buses, trains, connecting flights, normal taxis) You must arrange for your own car, rental car, or private transportation service.

We live in Shikoku so these are my problems: ① No connecting flights allowed ② No international flights to Shikoku airports right now ③ Stupid few international flights to KIX right now ④ Arriving in Tokyo would require 2 weeks in Tokyo with kids or a $900 one-way rental car with no bathroom breaks.

I think all I can do right now is wait until November/December and hope Taiwan starts allowing transit flights again, or Korean Air increases their flights from KIX.