Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I remember that storm, made $750 in bonuses that week for just showing up to work like I was gonna anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nyc getting 4 inches of rain tomorrow. gonna pretend to be sick me thinks

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Ardeem posted:

Which means big fires next year. The stuff has to grow and dry out before it can burn.

There's always big fires, either because it's been dry and all the long fuels are primed or it's been wet and there's lot of new short fuels. Pick your poison.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Eastern and Southern Australia's 70% likely to have a La Nina again this summer, which means it'll be a wet summer so no big fires in NSW and Vic again.
Which is good.
It just sucks having 2 wet summers in a row.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/#tabs=Overview

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

nyc getting 4 inches of rain tomorrow. gonna pretend to be sick me thinks

my basement is already flooding thanks to our ancient combined sewer system and I’m on a big rear end hill

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If they don't let us out of the office earlier than usual, say mid-day, it'll take me several hours to get home if I can at all. Everything floods insanely here.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If they don't let us out of the office earlier than usual, say mid-day, it'll take me several hours to get home if I can at all. Everything floods insanely here.

In winter I blow a lot of vacation time leaving an hour or two early to avoid traffic during snowstorms sucks but it's that or avoid an accident per mile on my drive.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Company's really good about letting us go reasonably early to avoid the worst of inclement weather and it doesn't cost us any PTO. Unfortunately they're really bad at telling us not to come in at all so I often end up with two lovely drives and avoid, ultimately, one insanely lovely drive. Not bad, credit where it's due I guess.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

if anyone’s interested in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which in the last year has been hit by:

one cat 4 hurricane August 2020
one cat 4 hurricane October 2020
one snap freeze that broke half the water lines in the city December 2020
one 4ft flood that lasted all day in March 2021

…well it was just hit directly by a tornado. Just ripped half of my partners mom’s house in two.
If you’ll remember, half of the buildings in the city and most houses haven’t fully rebuilt from the first hurricane…

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the October Cat 4 mostly stayed to the East?

the one before that was a direct hit though, so it barely matters

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

i am harry posted:

if anyone’s interested in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which in the last year has been hit by:

…well it was just hit directly by a tornado. Just ripped half of my partners mom’s house in two.
If you’ll remember, half of the buildings in the city and most houses haven’t fully rebuilt from the first hurricane…

Looking forward to when it is like this everywhere!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

i am harry posted:

you'll be pleased to know we're in year 1 of 4 years of building back, better

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i am harry posted:

Is your mom-in-"law" okay?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the October Cat 4 mostly stayed to the East?

the one before that was a direct hit though, so it barely matters

well the first one ripped my partner's mom's roof off her house, while the second one flooded her dad's house with 4 inches so you tell me I guess

my cat is norris posted:

Is your mom-in-"law" okay?

there's a car-sized hole in the front of her house where the garage is connected, next to the front door. a wooden play house in the back yard is missing, the tree has been blown onto the patio roof, someone else's shed was hurled into her shed, and during the passing of the tornado, she discovered a 6 year old child alone in a neighboring garage, screaming and sheltering by herself. we spoke to her about 20 min after it all happened and not since, so we have yet to get any further details about that.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Oct 28, 2021

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

loving poo poo that is dire. Goddamn. I'm sorry to hear it.

Hope the twisty at least left the little girl a dippy dog for her trouble.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vancouver had 18 centimetres of rain this morning. A loose barge was drifting towards an important bridge, but appears to have safely run aground.

https://twitter.com/MikePHager/status/1460359198173192211

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
loving centimeters

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
They’ve announced a citywide evacuation order for Merritt, BC due to the flooding

https://www.merritt.ca/cityfloodingevacuationorder/

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We got absolutely deluged in seattle and had winds of 50+ mph this morning. Now it's sunny and blue skies go fuckin figure

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

We got absolutely deluged in seattle and had winds of 50+ mph this morning. Now it's sunny and blue skies go fuckin figure

snohomish county here. the wind has died down but the sky is still very grey and the sun is nowhere in sight

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Chamale posted:

Vancouver had 18 centimetres of rain this morning. A loose barge was drifting towards an important bridge, but appears to have safely run aground.

Even better. Every single major highway connecting us to the rest of Canada has been shut by mudslides.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

das hipster posted:

Even better. Every single major highway connecting us to the rest of Canada has been shut by mudslides.

welcome to the US vancouver-2, washington.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

das hipster posted:

OP, I

things get better for you

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Is it normal for our cousins up top to write off towns because of water? Down here we only seem to do that for hundred acre fires, maybe hurricanes if we can be bothered.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i think they have like moose and bear event closures too

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Otacon posted:

OP, I

things get better for you

My sister's BF is stuck there as we speak! He has no hope.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

Is it normal for our cousins up top to write off towns because of water? Down here we only seem to do that for hundred acre fires, maybe hurricanes if we can be bothered.

https://twitter.com/CityofMerritt/status/1460282512614244352?t=ueatWHSCUVMiyP3XukQXAA&s=19

This is a.... unique situation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

weird. surprised they dont just cut the plant out of the system and let the sewage go wherever it wants

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Real hurthling! posted:

weird. surprised they dont just cut the plant out of the system and let the sewage go wherever it wants

when everywhere is a toilet, nowhere is a toilet

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Invest in entrenching tools and iodine

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chamale posted:

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/statu...ingawful.com%2F

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't that just like pootine

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So uh, does this portend like a Berlin airlift level of logistics to keep people eating for the next several days?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawsynram posted:

Mawsynram (/ˈmɔːsɪnˌrʌm/) is a town in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya state in Northeastern India, 60.9 kilometres from Shillong, the state capital. Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India. It is reportedly the wettest place on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 11,872 millimetres (467.4 in),[1][2][3] but that claim is disputed by Lloró, Colombia, which reported an average yearly rainfall of 12,717 mm (500.7 in) between 1952 and 1989[4][5] and López de Micay, also in Colombia, which reported 12,892 mm (507.6 in) per year between 1960 and 2012.[6][7] According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mawsynram received 26,000 millimetres (1,000 in) of rainfall in 1985.[citation needed] Mawsynram received 745.2 mm of rainfall on 19 August 2015, probably the highest rainfall received by the town to date.[8]

Ended up down a rabbit hole, 450 inches of rain per year is comical. That can't be true, right?

So I look.

"https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/greatest-monthly-rainfall posted:

For a calendar month the record is 9,300 mm (366 in) at Cherrapunji, Meghalaya, India in July 1861 and, the 12-month record was also set at Cherrapunji, with 26,461 mm (1,041.75 in) between 1 August 1860 and 31 July 1861.

Obviously fake. It's like they didn't even try.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/510341-greatest-rainfall-in-96-hours posted:

On 24–27 February 2007, Cratère Commerson, Réunion Island, received a total rainfall of 4.936 m (16 feet 2 in), which is the highest level of rainfall for a four-day period ever recorded – as verified by the World Meteorological Organisation.

I feel like I can sort of count on weather nerds. :shepface:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/510335-greatest-rainfall-in-48-hours posted:

On 15–16 June 1995, Cherrapunji, India, received 2.493 m (8 ft 2 in) of rain over the complete 48-hour period. Cherrapunji is high-altitude town at 1,313 m (4,308 ft) in the northeast Indian state of Meghalaya. While this normally means that the region gets a high level of annual rainfall, this is the most extreme 48-hour period on record – as verified by the World Meteorological Organisation.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So uh, does this portend like a Berlin airlift level of logistics to keep people eating for the next several days?

The entire town of Hope is completely cut off as afaik without power so they're going to have to air drop non perishable stuff, and a lot of it

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

nomad2020 posted:

Ended up down a rabbit hole, 450 inches of rain per year is comical. That can't be true, right?

So I look.

Obviously fake. It's like they didn't even try.

I feel like I can sort of count on weather nerds. :shepface:

:yayclod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rae-J7fYL0k

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I just grabbed this off of Reddit so excuse the quality, but apparently this is what remains of Highway 1, just North of Lytton, and quite a bit north of Hope.

edit: https://twitter.com/tranbc/status/1460391772304064517?s=21

Otacon has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Nov 16, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

The City of Merritt is a progressive, attractive, economically viable city that is socially responsible and environmentally sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
when you flush your toilet, the poop flows into the home, thereby sparing the environment. very clever!