Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of my favorite restaurants here (Nopa) has a burger and fries on the menu for $24. It's really good and even the ketchup is house made. But it's the kind of thing you eat like twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

One of my favorite restaurants here (Nopa) has a burger and fries on the menu for $24. It's really good and even the ketchup is house made. But it's the kind of thing you eat like twice a year.

Oh yeah! The $20 burger place also made a big deal about their home made ketchup with random veggies blended up in it. It was OK.

I’ve got a theory that burger places that overly emphasize their home made ketchup by and large aren’t worth checking out. So far it seems to be holding true.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That's because ketchup, housemade or squeezed out of a packet, doesn't belong on burgers. Or any food, for that matter.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's because ketchup, housemade or squeezed out of a packet, doesn't belong on burgers. Or any food, for that matter.

I feel like we can't trust your opinion when it comes to food.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I dip French fries in ketchup

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

:guillotine:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

Mayo ketchup and hot sauce

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

im currently eating microwaved tater tots with ketchup on them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The cylinders or the rounds. Cause the cylinders are bullshit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fashionable Jorts posted:

im currently eating microwaved tater tots with ketchup on them

That sounds delicious and I wish I had some

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ketchup is the second best sauce after the burger sauce that a local ramen burger food stall has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wtf is burger sauce and why does ramen burger exist. Why can't Britain just be normal for five minutes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Wtf is burger sauce and why does ramen burger exist. Why can't Britain just be normal for five minutes.

Its where the burger bun is made out of ramen noodles. It's really nice!

The burger sauce is just that orangey sauce that a load of burger places put on the thing to add more tanginess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it’s just ketchup and Mayo

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

It's not skilfully made. It's probably failed in its creators' intentions. It's not objectively bad because that's not a thing. Good and bad are inherently subjective concepts.

Hitler's art is objectively bad. The modification to the Shroud of Turin was objectively bad. Just because moral relativism exists and "all things are subjective" doesn't mean that there aren't broad standards people in an industry or with a skillset, agree on.

TIG Wielding is art but if you do it wrong you're drat well going to get told so. Coding is art (Donald Knuth has a good argument in the ACM for this), but there's objectively "good code" because there are collective measures that we as an industry have decided are favourable.

Just because the concept of what "good" is changes over time (but not by much, actually!!) and is bound to a cultural context doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Go read The Design Of Everyday Things or Alexander's Notes On The Synthesis Of Form to learn more about how objective measures can exist inside a (and any) design space.

My mum does Botanical Art which is extremely high-skill, requiring both scientific accuracy and high levels of artistry, and not only are there objective measures that she is held to (if you paint something wrong and it gets used in a field reference someone could literally die), but if you tried to tell her or anyone else in her field there's "no such thing as bad art" they'd probably go full ape rabid on attacking you because that position is objectively bad and incoherent.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Oct 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hitler's paintings are extremely average, you could hang one in a hotel lobby and no one would notice

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah but they're also technically a bit squiffy too.

Edit: to continue that argument, there's objectively bad violin playing, too. When you get it technically correct you can still be objectively bad because there's no soul to the thing, but there's also the fact that just a rando picking up a violin and playing random sounds is not "good" by any measure no matter how much of the false, bad idea of "innate talent" people think they have

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alexandriao posted:

Hitler's art is objectively bad. The modification to the Shroud of Turin was objectively bad. Just because moral relativism exists and "all things are subjective" doesn't mean that there aren't broad standards people in an industry or with a skillset, agree on.
The fact that the standards are things people agreed on is exactly what proves they're subjective. If they were objective, there wouldn't need to be any discussion or agreement because it would be unquestionable. You don't need to get a group of people together to decide whether trees exist because their existence is an objective fact. Anyone who wants to test that can check for themself. You can create objective standards for judging things in that those standards can be applied uniformly by anyone, but those standards are still not an objective measure of actual quality or merit. It's still up to people to decide what is desirable and what isn't and that subjective judgement forms the basis for any such standards.

alexandriao posted:

My mum does Botanical Art which is extremely high-skill, requiring both scientific accuracy and high levels of artistry, and not only are there objective measures that she is held to (if you paint something wrong and it gets used in a field reference someone could literally die), but if you tried to tell her or anyone else in her field there's "no such thing as bad art" they'd probably go full ape rabid on attacking you because that position is objectively bad and incoherent.
There is such a thing as "good at..." or "good for...". You can judge how well a thing performs a particular task or fulfils a particular purpose. But that is not an objective rating of quality. A painting of a plant may be absolutely worthless as a field reference if it's not accurate, but it could still be an extremely skilful painting that people enjoy looking at. Bad for one purpose, good for another.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

The fact that the standards are things people agreed on is exactly what proves they're subjective. If they were objective, there wouldn't need to be any discussion or agreement because it would be unquestionable. You don't need to get a group of people together to decide whether trees exist because their existence is an objective fact. Anyone who wants to test that can check for themself. You can create objective standards for judging things in that those standards can be applied uniformly by anyone, but those standards are still not an objective measure of actual quality or merit. It's still up to people to decide what is desirable and what isn't and that subjective judgement forms the basis for any such standards.

There is such a thing as "good at..." or "good for...". You can judge how well a thing performs a particular task or fulfils a particular purpose. But that is not an objective rating of quality. A painting of a plant may be absolutely worthless as a field reference if it's not accurate, but it could still be an extremely skilful painting that people enjoy looking at. Bad for one purpose, good for another.

I think you're arguing semantics to prove what you think "objective" means here.

By your measure even scientific standards are subjective rather than objective, which I broadly agree with, but you are taking it so far that your endgame here is stating that, "actually the word 'objective' shouldn't exist, because everything is subjective anyway". I think we, and everyone who bothers to read these posts, both understand what I meant by "objective", what "objective" means in a general sense, and why what you are saying (while true) doesn't actually make any sort of difference to my argument that some things can be objectively bad or good.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like I am arguing that there are contextually and culturally objective metrics, and you are agreeing with me but trying to make it look like you are not. So that's like... good job buddy

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Probably, all I know is is that it tastes nice.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

alexandriao posted:

Like I am arguing that there are contextually and culturally objective metrics, and you are agreeing with me but trying to make it look like you are not. So that's like... good job buddy

This IS a semantics argument at its core, but so what? Using terms to mean something opposite to what the other side in the discussion understands them to mean is not going to help get anyones point across.

Like, how do you type out the phrase "contextually objective" and not instantly collapse in a heap of contradictions?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

Sometimes extras like spice but yes, american burger places often call it fry sauce or "secret" or "house" or some bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alexandriao posted:

you are taking it so far that your endgame here is stating that, "actually the word 'objective' shouldn't exist, because everything is subjective anyway".
But I gave a specific example of something that is objectively true? As long as we know what is meant by the word "tree" (and all the other words in the sentence), "trees exist" or "there is a tree outside my window" are objective statements of fact. You can't have an opinion about the validity of those statements, only be right or wrong. Trees exist whether you believe in them or not; that's what "objective" means.

alexandriao posted:

I think we, and everyone who bothers to read these posts, both understand what I meant by "objective", what "objective" means in a general sense, and why what you are saying (while true) doesn't actually make any sort of difference to my argument that some things can be objectively bad or good.
I don't think you do understand what "objective" means or you wouldn't be arguing that things can be objectively bad or good because that's pure nonsense.

alexandriao posted:

I'm not agreeing with you at all? If they're contextually an culturally relative then they are, by definition, subjective. No matter how many people agree that a thing is good, it's still a preference. Even if it's all the people who have ever or will ever live. They're still each making that judgement on the basis of their own perspective. There is simply no way for value judgements to be anything other than subjective.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

There is simply no way for value judgements to be anything other than subjective.

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Hitler's paintings are extremely average, you could hang one in a hotel lobby and no one would notice

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

TIG Wielding is art but if you do it wrong you're drat well going to get told so. Coding is art (Donald Knuth has a good argument in the ACM for this), but there's objectively "good code" because there are collective measures that we as an industry have decided are favourable.

Just because the concept of what "good" is changes over time (but not by much, actually!!) and is bound to a cultural context doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Go read The Design Of Everyday Things or Alexander's Notes On The Synthesis Of Form to learn more about how objective measures can exist inside a (and any) design space.

I feel like this is one giant appeal to authority

It's bad because these particular people say it's bad go read some guy's book, accept his subjective measures, then you will see it's bad

It's also kind of impossible to separate the idea of objectively good and bad art from classism

Also, PHUO: I personally don't think anything that is designed for a useful function is art

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hitler's paintings are weird in that often people don't appear. Only architecture and landscapes. This is how Lovecraft's travelogues were. Purple prose about buildings but no talk of local food or culture.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hitler's paintings are weird in that often people don't appear. Only architecture and landscapes. This is how Lovecraft's travelogues were. Purple prose about buildings but no talk of local food or culture.

I wonder if that's a thing. Mega racists not including people in their art

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

What does that even mean?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

What does that even mean?

Positing a claim is true because an authority or expert says it is true, avoiding the call for evidence

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don’t know guys, Tiggum might be right this time

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The only objective truth is that something exist, without any reference to time, which might be a part of the subjective experience. Nihilism (as a way to perceive reality, not as a guide to action) remains undefeated.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I don’t know guys, Tiggum might be right this time

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

The only objective truth is that something exist, without any reference to time, which might be a part of the subjective experience. Nihilism (as a way to perceive reality, not as a guide to action) remains undefeated.

ding ding ding hit the nail on the head

Tiggum posted:

But I gave a specific example of something that is objectively true? As long as we know what is meant by the word "tree" (and all the other words in the sentence), "trees exist" or "there is a tree outside my window" are objective statements of fact. You can't have an opinion about the validity of those statements, only be right or wrong. Trees exist whether you believe in them or not; that's what "objective" means.

I don't think you do understand what "objective" means or you wouldn't be arguing that things can be objectively bad or good because that's pure nonsense.

Your argument here is that:

- "objectivity" exists in and of itself
- things can either be objective, or subjective
- that objective metrics don't exist relative to something, but are in fact immaterial of reference point

is both utterly absurd, and has so many counter-examples I'm not even going to bother to try and list them all, because by making these arguments you should realise this is philosophy and sociology 101 and go read arguments by much better versed people than either of us on this subject.

Like, holy poo poo I can't even believe you're making this argument lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's bad because these particular people say it's bad go read some guy's book, accept his subjective measures, then you will see it's bad

I mean, no, that's missing the point. Those are all examples of places where there are objective (industry standard) yardsticks to determine goodness or badness. That those measures exist in reference to something, within a particular context, isn't something that can (or should) be denied, as Tiggum is trying to do.

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's also kind of impossible to separate the idea of objectively good and bad art from classism

Yes, but also, no. In that with respect to art, it's highly variable. You're broadly right but there are some specific fields of art where those metrics were developed because they are useful, not because they cut out the lower classes from the circle.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Actually I missed this and missed this part of your argument, so let me amend what I said earlier.

Here you are defining a specific context, reference frame, and then stating that within those contexts and reference frames, objectivity exists.

Take your tree example. If we are both standing in a garden, the word "tree" means something different than if I am in a computer science lab, and that terms are depending on what I'm pointing at, and what both people understand. This is fine and we both agree.

We both agree here that if the context is a garden, and I am pointing at the grass, then I would be both objectively wrong and probably suffering a stroke or something (probably from your posts tbh), and that if the context is different, then what a tree is changes, and the metric must too (otherwise you wouldn't have had to have specified a common reference point?)

This means that, like me, you admit that, without that common reference frame, or context, objectivity cannot exist.

Therefore my assertion that good and bad art is objective within a specific reference frame and context, shouldn't at all be surprising to you?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Buffalo sauce is one of the worst sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And towns!