Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dark souls 2 is bad actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Moola posted:

lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Moola posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

God Vendrick was such an awful encounter lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'd move on to DS2 but instead I've been doing a ton of gimmick invasions recently. I can't freaking stop.

SL90 Nameless King Cosplay, with Untrue Dark Ring so I look right.

SL40 Hodor build with +4 Heavy Giant Door Shields.

SL8 Soul of Cinder build with a +0 Firelink Greatsword.

SL60 +6 Joan of Arc doing buffed poise-cast point-blank Sunlight Spears that routinely one-shots phantoms.

SL30 +3 Mace build, I made myself look like that gimp character from the Elden Ring trailers.

I'm now in the process of making a Sister Friede invader and a Kenneth Copeland invader with the Mad King Crucifix.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Double checking No Man’s Wharf for loot and I got a trio of red-eyed assassin’s with cool metal beak masks and I killed one and he dropped the mask and now that’s what I’m wearing for my playthrough!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 27, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

multijoe posted:

God Vendrick was such an awful encounter lol

Vendrick is a terrible fight, but a good ending. There's this boss that's hyped up all through the game that has the theme of loss and amnesia. When you get there, King Vendrick is a sad hollow who just goes in circles dragging a sword and doesn't even try to fight back.

Until you do the thing and he will actually try to kick your rear end.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Moola posted:

:chloe:

axolotl farmer posted:

Vendrick is a terrible fight, but a good ending. There's this boss that's hyped up all through the game that has the theme of loss and amnesia. When you get there, King Vendrick is a sad hollow who just goes in circles dragging a sword and doesn't even try to fight back.

Until you do the thing and he will actually try to kick your rear end.

I do like how they made him hit like a dump truck. He might be hallow and a shell og his former self, but holy poo poo does he still have some of his power.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dark souls 2 is the worst of the trilogy and also a top-tier game, and only by holding these two truths in your heart can you reach gaming nirvana. namaste

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

World War Mammories posted:

dark souls 2 is a top-tier game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

World War Mammories posted:

dark souls 3 is the worst of the trilogy and also a top-tier game, and only by holding these two truths in your heart can you reach gaming nirvana. namaste

ftfy :unsmigghh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah, while Ds2 isn’t as good as the rest it’s a hell of a lot better than other games. As I make my way further and further in (I’m at 21 hours so far and just got to the dragon area) - it’s the most depressing. What a loving sad world. Just all gone to poo poo. Even more sad than ringed city destruction end of time. Like… shits bad and sad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ok I can't invade for poo poo with Friede's Great Scythe (we're talking absolutely pathetic 1:20 win loss ratio) while I was absolutely wrecking face with the Giant Door Shields.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

People know how to play against Friede's Scythe since it's a popular weapon, great Door Shields not so much.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

my biggest gripe with dark souls 2 is most of the weapons hit the ground and clang clang clang. Makes the red spinny halberd completely unusable to me.

Everything the haters say about DS2 is true. But it's still a guilty pleasure and a fun game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
From my relatively limited time with the series, and having only played them for the first time this year, I think each of the three games is superior over the other two at some aspects, and inferior to the other two at other aspects. Which ends up your favorite probably depends on what you value most. But they are all so goddamn good.

For me personally, I'd say DS1 has the best world design, but DS3 has the best individual level design and the best bosses (by loving far). DS2 has - I am told, I've only played it once so far - the best build variety, and the strangest atmosphere / vibe, which to me is not an insignificant detail. DS3 is the most linear world design and it's maybe a little too conventional in that aspect as well. DS2 has the worst bosses and the most infuriating areas/encounters in the series. DS1 is... well I don't know what it does the worst, actually. It might be the most consistent across all aspects.

It's consequently very hard for me to decide which is my favorite. I assumed it was DS1 but it's the one I have the least hours in. I have the most hours in DS3, which is the one I initially thought was my least favorite. Maybe it isn't my least favorite after all? :iiam:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dark Souls 1 looks like dogshit, is what it does the worst. DS2 and 3 are hands down two of the prettiest games I’ve ever played, and 1 looks like a turd that fell out of a bigger turds rear end.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Dark Souls 1 looks like dogshit, is what it does the worst. DS2 and 3 are hands down two of the prettiest games I’ve ever played, and 1 looks like a turd that fell out of a bigger turds rear end.

Don't worry someone fixed that: https://twitter.com/1dropoff/status/1414641081849896960?s=20

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

giZm posted:

People know how to play against Friede's Scythe since it's a popular weapon, great Door Shields not so much.
Door shields are actually just a better weapon than friede's scythe is the other thing

the scythe WA looks dramatic but is basically asking to get slapped out of the animation by a bigger hyperarmor weapon(greatswords and up), which is a horrible trade, and players who know how can easily parry it. and then you get deleted by chaos dagger riposte
and without the WA it's just an ok scythe, which aren't a super good weapon class for pvp in general

doors are also a bit gimmicky but they're really hard to punish if used well

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sway Grunt posted:

From my relatively limited time with the series, and having only played them for the first time this year, I think each of the three games is superior over the other two at some aspects, and inferior to the other two at other aspects. Which ends up your favorite probably depends on what you value most. But they are all so goddamn good.

For me personally, I'd say DS1 has the best world design, but DS3 has the best individual level design and the best bosses (by loving far). DS2 has - I am told, I've only played it once so far - the best build variety, and the strangest atmosphere / vibe, which to me is not an insignificant detail. DS3 is the most linear world design and it's maybe a little too conventional in that aspect as well. DS2 has the worst bosses and the most infuriating areas/encounters in the series. DS1 is... well I don't know what it does the worst, actually. It might be the most consistent across all aspects.

Also played all of these games for the first time this year, I think it's not said enough that one of DS2's big strengths is having the most open-ended world design out of the 3 games, with you having 4 branches to explore for most of the game so you always have a lot of other options to explore if you are stuck on a particular area. DS3's world was way too linear with only 2 branches at most at any given time, and even though the DS1 areas are the most physically interconnected the progression through them is still pretty linear until after Anor Londo. Not counting the DS1 Master Key or sequence breaking from killing certain NPCs etc.
I wouldn't say DS1 is the most consistent but actually the least consistent of any of them, 2 and 3 are more polished and don't have anything in them as bad as Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos.

DS2 is the one I get the most urge to replay out of all of them for some reason and might start a new game tomorrow. Did the double cestus last time and trying to think what would be another good character build to try.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

Have you played Dark Souls Remastered? It's legit amazing looking IMO.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
DS2 is not the prettiest game anyone has played

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Have you played Dark Souls Remastered? It's legit amazing looking IMO.

Still looks bad. Flat lighting, some really bland textures, and so much eye-searing orange lava. Awful interface too.

But what a great atmospheric game! Love it!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
2 is aesthetically all over the place. It has some amazing skyboxes but also some incredibly ugly, rushed-looking, bland rear end levels (sometimes even in the same zone). They have themselves so much to do that they were rarely able to drill down on how any individual zone should look. Many feel visually unfinished like the Bastille with its giant expanses of flatly lit blue stone blocks and crates. There are a few zones in DS2 that look significantly worse than DeS. Most of the animations are ok as well, but there’s very few that look really great and some are embarrassingly bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It at least supported ultra-wide out the box, haha. I had to edit an INI for DS3 and even that was broken cause on loading screens I could see the level get rendered out, haha.

skasion posted:

2 is aesthetically all over the place. It has some amazing skyboxes but also some incredibly ugly, rushed-looking, bland rear end levels (sometimes even in the same zone). They have themselves so much to do that they were rarely able to drill down on how any individual zone should look. Many feel visually unfinished like the Bastille with its giant expanses of flatly lit blue stone blocks and crates. There are a few zones in DS2 that look significantly worse than DeS. Most of the animations are ok as well, but there’s very few that look really great and some are embarrassingly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cgzt-LASeU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Dark Souls 1 is my least favourite of the three and Dark Souls 2 is my most favourite. Also my favourite area in Dark Souls is Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and I love the Bed of Chaos. I am fully aware that this is not the standard thinking but I honestly cannot help it. I played all of fromsoftwares games starting with DS1 this year in a row (except bloodborne because that I beat the year previous in November) and there was no break between starting and ending each one aside from the time it took to buy Demons Souls.

I think every From game is amazing :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For me, I just can't get over DS2's really weak bosses and intensely aggravating enemy and encounter design. All that stuff about build options and open ended world layout doesn't mean a thing to me when I don't want to do any of the content outside of the DLCs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the way bad guys can hit you out of chest opening and door opening animations in 2 really caught me off guard, it seems like every enemy is designed to have one attack that just kills you if you’re trying to run past everything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DS2 is definitely the game where I've said "where the gently caress did YOU come from" the most often. ambushes are one thing but it's often just a case of another pack five miles away getting vision of you and silently hunting you down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had the most trouble with the ninjas who have blades on their arms. They just decimate your HP no matter what. And then stack a bleed. gently caress. There's lots of poo poo that'll track you and hit you during a roll too that wouldn't touch in DS1 or DS3.

PS - I feel like we need to combine all the Souls threads into one instead of spreading out all this discussion but maybe that's come up before.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think Dark Souls 1 looks bad at all, except the eye-searing lava in Lost Izalith. That's an art direction issue though, while Dark Souls 2 has systemic issues with its lighting seemingly stemming from when they ripped out the torch mechanic that they showed off at E3. I'm glad they got rid of that aspect of it, but the actual lighting engine looked way better in the E3 demo. After they removed it, everything just looks like it's lit by a flat ambient light in a lot of areas. My guess is rather than relighting the entire world, they just raised the minimum light level in the darkest areas, which makes anything not directly lit up by a dynamic light source look really flat. Whenever there are a lot of torches around, it can look good, like No Man's Wharf, The Gutter, Undead Crypt - those areas seem to have a minimum light level of zero, so the contrast looks right and you get dark corners and shaded areas. But then other areas like Lost Bastille and Forest of Fallen Giants, everything is lit at the same ambient level (even indoor vs outdoor) and it looks really bizarre.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

skasion posted:

Many feel visually unfinished like the Bastille with its giant expanses of flatly lit blue stone blocks and crates.

Ruin Sentinels deserved much better than that sad, empty box.

Item Getter posted:

I wouldn't say DS1 is the most consistent but actually the least consistent of any of them, 2 and 3 are more polished and don't have anything in them as bad as Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos.

Yeah, I'm not sure if "consistent" was the right word. I feel like its peaks are as high as DS3's but they don't come as often (or maybe they just come in a different, less obvious shape, e.g. via the interconnected world design rather than a memorable boss fight), and its valleys aren't as deep as DS2's. Bed of Chaos sucks but is at least memorable, which is more than I can say for most of DS2's bosses. Or Capra Demon. It sucks, gently caress that boss fight. But also it rules.

Maybe DS3 is the most consistent. I can't think of any area in it that feels as obviously undercooked as Demon Ruins or Heide's, for instance (the latter being an almost tragic waste of a beautiful backdrop). Profaned Capital comes closest maybe. And only a handful of bosses are duds.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DS3’s demon ruins are extremely half baked, you can tell they didn’t achieve what they were going for with that. Profaned capital too. Several areas feel like they couldn’t get the lighting to work the way they wanted so just made everything flat and bright whether appropriate or not, like Demon Ruins & Catacombs (or many DS2 areas). DS3 probably has the fewest areas that are just plain bad, but it’s not without problems. The most consistent game in the series is Demon’s Souls but even there they had to cut 1/6th of the design to get the rest out the door, though at least they did it in a fairly elegant way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The only good thing in dark souls 2 is that spear with the slab of stone stuck to the end, which if you break the durability turns the weapon into an awesome double bladed weapon with a huge moveset

Also Rat Covenant on release was hilarious

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder what the thinking behind that sixth archstone in Demon's Souls was. DLC/expansion scaffolding, maybe?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was gonna be a snowy sorta zone and was partially built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63cEXOqxaH4

Just ran out of time it seems.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

I wonder what the thinking behind that sixth archstone in Demon's Souls was. DLC/expansion scaffolding, maybe?

They couldn’t finish it so made it inaccessible. Many of the files are still on the disc though. There are a couple of beastman-type enemies, a finished layout for one zone, and a rough layout for another. They probably could have turned it into a post-release DLC if they had been given the chance but that didn’t happen obviously.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

let me tell youse about the iron keep elevator........

illusorywall's dark souls dissected series on youtube has given me a much greater appreciation of all three games. the one on ds3, for example, the ostensible topic of this thread - the world is a weird mish-mash, but it does actually physically fit together, mostly, just like ds1 does. (and of course it's supposed to be a weird mish-mash according to The Lore about lands churning and converging.) ds2 on the other hand - for example, aldia's keep and the path to drangleic castle physically overlap one another

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dark Souls III feels the most on rails of From’s entire catalogue including Sekiro. It was all directed well and flowed nicely, but I never had more than 2 places to explore at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Iron Keep elevator will always be hilarious to me.