Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ultrafilter posted:

Wanna add unicode support to legacy systems? Looks like there's going to be a pretty big market for that soon.
I'm surprised that "nah, it's cool, you don't have to use the correct spelling of your customer's name in banking" is a thing that made it 20 years past 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Then use UTF-EBCDIC, which is a thing which exists.
God help us all.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Presto posted:

God help us all.

Just more proof that if there is a god, they have long since abandoned us.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Promotion get: Principal Software Developer :toot:

musta learned something in the last 350 pages

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Fancy title, congrats!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

:toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:toot:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Congrats! In my own career, I often wonder which is better: being one of the best senior engineers, or being one of the few principal engineers.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

How do other companies define senior vs. principal? I'm not sure we have a clear distinction here.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

How do other companies define senior vs. principal? I'm not sure we have a clear distinction here.

Autonomy, scope, etc. Senior/staff divide is usually where you're no longer allocated to a single team, and instead working across the division. Principal is something like a step further in that direction, working across divisions. Some ladders list that they influence the industry broadly.

Of course none of that really matters and I'm sure there are principals who are allocated to individual teams/etc.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I realized recently that my job title is apparently "Developer II". There are three others in my immediate dev team, two of whom are "Developer I" and the most senior one is "Developer III".

On a different note we're currently doing Big Room Planning for our next Super Sprint, which means everyone in the company spends two entire days in nothing but meetings to plan the next four months. It's all very agile and I want to die.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Woebin posted:

I realized recently that my job title is apparently "Developer II". There are three others in my immediate dev team, two of whom are "Developer I" and the most senior one is "Developer III".

On a different note we're currently doing Big Room Planning for our next Super Sprint, which means everyone in the company spends two entire days in nothing but meetings to plan the next four months. It's all very agile and I want to die.

lol i was on a team at one point that took 2 days to plan a 3 week sprint

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

lol i was on a team at one point that took 2 days to plan a 3 week sprint
At least the planning for our regular two week sprints usually only takes, like, half a day? Plus retro and review for another half day or so. Not that it matters because our plans are meaningless; no estimates, no velocity tracking, and we don't release anything at the end of each sprint but rather on an "as needed" basis. So yeah, making good use of the sprint structure, definitely not just a bunch of pointless overhead!*

*I mean the sprint structure could have some value if we actually did the things it's meant for. And also if we weren't in practice three separate teams pretending to be one, including stakeholders in the same processes as developers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

This is how we started using big room plannings.

Then we reduced the BRP to half a day which is just ticking checkboxes for a planning we mostly prepare in advance.
Then we convinced the company that we could only plan 50% of our velocity during a BRP, the rest was needed to deal with uncertainty for planning so long ahead and for technical maintenance (this is actually true. Planning 100% of the available velocity so long ahead never works out).

During each sprint planning (which takes about half an hour for a 2-week sprint) we start with the 50% BRPE planned stuff, and fill up the rest with some small features that didn't make the BRP and with techdebt / maintenance work. And what we pick for the second 50% is almost entirely decided by the team.

So:
In exchange for half a day of our time every 2 months:
- Devs get huge freedom on what to plan for 50% of each sprint
- Customer-facing people are no longer allowed to bother us in between BRPs at all, if they want to get some new feature done they'll have to get it ready for the BRP, and convince the roadmap team that it's important enough to consider for planning at all.

The huge freedom it gives us + the fact that customer facing people can't gently caress over the planning every week any more is absolutely worth the pain, imo. Especially since this is the only idea from SAFe we actually use.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I worked in a similar place with Project Increment Planning (PIP) sessions lasting 2-3 days where each developer team were required to plan out the next four or five sprints (five springs happened only the increment before Christmas). A sprint was 2 weeks in this place.

Of course this means each team has to figure out, down to putting points on stuff, what they want/need to work on the next 8 weeks. The first sprint was always amazingly well planned and everyone were aligned. The following sprint was a mess: People learned new things which meant the stories planned to be worked on (which by the way is the wrong way of doing things but what do I know about upper management), meaning an entire day was lost to re-planning what was necessary. This rippled through the entire increment as by week 4 everything was replanned.

Now for the fun stuff! We were 8-10 teams of 10 developers, some interdependent. We had an infrastructure team who had, as a requirement, that you could tell them sprint for sprint in advance what you needed from them. If you ever needed a change to a fargate task or god forbid something novel like Kafka they basically weren't allowed to look at it before the next PIP.

Needless to say at least half the developer time was spent on working around this terrible system. The other half of working time was spent bitching about it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Y'all need to :sever: so this can be a SAFe safe place. No trigger warnings or anything.

Shameful.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

champagne posting posted:

I worked in a similar place with Project Increment Planning (PIP) sessions lasting 2-3 days where each developer team were required to plan out the next four or five sprints (five springs happened only the increment before Christmas). A sprint was 2 weeks in this place.

Of course this means each team has to figure out, down to putting points on stuff, what they want/need to work on the next 8 weeks. The first sprint was always amazingly well planned and everyone were aligned. The following sprint was a mess: People learned new things which meant the stories planned to be worked on (which by the way is the wrong way of doing things but what do I know about upper management), meaning an entire day was lost to re-planning what was necessary. This rippled through the entire increment as by week 4 everything was replanned.

Now for the fun stuff! We were 8-10 teams of 10 developers, some interdependent. We had an infrastructure team who had, as a requirement, that you could tell them sprint for sprint in advance what you needed from them. If you ever needed a change to a fargate task or god forbid something novel like Kafka they basically weren't allowed to look at it before the next PIP.

Needless to say at least half the developer time was spent on working around this terrible system. The other half of working time was spent bitching about it.

Sounds like you did the full planning instead of the 50% planning I just mentioned.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

leper khan posted:

Y'all need to :sever: so this can be a SAFe safe place. No trigger warnings or anything.

Shameful.

I too labored under the illusion that working in development was about technology when I was actually about bullshit meetings

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I too labored under the illusion that working in development was about technology when I was actually about bullshit meetings

I finally pulled the trigger on moving into management when I hit 75% of my time booked in meetings as an IC. I understand bullshit meetings very well.

:smith:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

leper khan posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on moving into management when I hit 75% of my time booked in meetings as an IC. I understand bullshit meetings very well.

:smith:

The project is behind schedule. We'd better have three times as many meetings about the status of the project with the developers, that will certainly help them deliver on time.

I work for a small company and I've been around long enough that I can get away with saying "Things would be going a lot better if you trusted us and stopped scheduling endless panicked meetings that sap morale and keep us from working. There's nothing you can do. We can do a retro after the project. Please leave us alone so we can deliver. I will tell you if I think you can help."

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
My one experience with PIP had programmers planning implementation tasks for the same features designers were planning tasks to come up with the design for in that same increment. That was nice and impossible and happened at least two increments in a row.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Since is decided to move into management I have like 20+ meetings a week now. I mean I can’t complain really because I don’t have to do any real work.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Since is decided to move into management I have like 20+ meetings a week now. I mean I can’t complain really because I don’t have to do any real work.

:smith::hf::smith:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Being in meetings always feels like sitting in timeout. Like sitting in a chair staring in the corner because you were rude to your grandma time out

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I miss being able to take meetings remotely on my phone. There’s such a huge difference between being stuck on camera or just having to listen and respond when needed

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As far as my coworkers know, I have no devices anywhere in my apartment capable of doing a video call and I'm never going to clue them in if I can help it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Always refuse video. The last 3 cameras I've had all have mysterious problems where they never work. Weird how that keeps happening.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Always refuse video. The last 3 cameras I've had all have mysterious problems where they never work. Weird how that keeps happening.

until you get forced company hardware with built in cameras on you by a very high up in the org individual because "being on camera for meetings is essential for team unity and empathy"
ask me how i know

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

I miss being able to take meetings remotely on my phone. There’s such a huge difference between being stuck on camera or just having to listen and respond when needed

it's awesome being the phone guy, but awful being on the other side and having to deal with phone guy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've always assumed people on the phone were just too dumb to use the computer somehow

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

it's awesome being the phone guy, but awful being on the other side and having to deal with phone guy

we were all phone guy, and I didn’t realize what I had and that I would lose it

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Aramoro posted:

I accepted it when I pictured myself as not really doing anything productive but just paying homage and showing up, occasionally muttering the correct call or response to placate the gods.

Courtier is right behind prostitute in the oldest professions. So just imagine the long unbroken chain of humanity you are a part of!

(I left middle management for an R&D team and did not look back)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I would rather do a full days worth of coding (5 hours) than attend a one hour meeting.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

marumaru posted:

until you get forced company hardware with built in cameras on you by a very high up in the org individual because "being on camera for meetings is essential for team unity and empathy"
ask me how i know

can't get my camera to work, yeah i'm on the phone with it right now

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

prom candy posted:

I would rather do a full days worth of coding (5 hours) than attend a one hour meeting.

:yeah:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's sincerely surprising to me that folks itt think that anything can be built, released, marketed, and sold without being involved in meetings

like, do you just want to be ticket jockeys and have no say in the work you do?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I would rather have a discussion on a wiki, message board etc instead of connecting to a zoom call where 3 people talk for an hour and 8 others sit in silence.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Blinkz0rz posted:

like, do you just want to be ticket jockeys and have no say in the work you do?

uhhh… yes

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

prom candy posted:

One hour meetings have an odd tendency to last more than one hour in my experience anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some meetings are necessary, but they don't have to be as plentiful or as badly run as most meetings are.