Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

So, any further/different opinions on the new Ashes? Really liked 2063 but that one guy seemed pretty down on its followup.

I just reached the second hub map last night and I really don't agree with Al Cu Ad Solte at all- I'm having a whale of a time. It is a very different experience to 2063- where that was a more traditional linear sequence of tightly controlled maps, this is open and exploratory. You're given a bunch of different places to go and a list of objectives to hit and left to get on with it. That necessarily means a looser pacing and less cinematic feel- though the WAD is still delivering incredible set-piece moments on the regular- but it's in service of delivering this experience, of trying to put you into the role of a post-apocalyptic scavenger. And it works! Like I really do feel like this hard-scrabble adventurer type, clambering over rubble and skirting hot zones. It's great. It's not as open as, say, STALKER, but there is a very STALKER-in-ZDoom air to it.

There are weaker moments, though my least favourite map so far (the one immediately following The Rink) was probably the one closest in style to 2063. Too empty, too much walking, too many purple-skinned ammo sponges.

On some specific points:

I didn't get lost in the hub at all. There are a very small number of actual branches, all of which are a) visually distinct, b) short, and c) either dead-end immediately or d) are somewhere you will get something out of going to. At no point was I confused as to where I was or how that connected to the other places I was interested in checking out. I was only very occasionally uncertain as to where I should be going, and in every instance I found the solution to be picking somewhere I hadn't checked out yet and going there. The biggest enemy in navigation is decision paralysis. I don't think I've even seen somewhere that I had to leave and come back to later. If you can get there, there's probably something worth doing there now.

Combat wise, the WAD will absolutely punish you for getting caught in the open by enemies with guns (they're not actually hitscanners, I don't think- though the projectiles are so fast you're hard-pressed to dodge them unless you're at extreme range or you're already at full speed when they fire), but I haven't found many occasions where you're forced into that situation. It happens, but there's almost always somewhere to scramble for cover if they get the drop on you. I certainly haven't seen anything as bullshit as that one section of 2063 in the abandoned police station. The combat balance is a lot like Project Einherjar's, actually- lots of kill fast/die fast enemy types and fights that come down to quick reflexes and controlling lines of fire. I strongly recommend going to Westside before anywhere else in the first hub, picking up a machine pistol there and immediately buying both upgrades for it. The base machine pistol is okay, but the upgraded version is an indispensable room clearer.

[e: Difficulty comments here are based on the "Arcade" difficulty, which is marked as UV-equivalent. Survival and Apocalypse are probably even more punishing.]

Probably my least favourite combat sections are the ones without the gun enemies. The purple mutants, as mentioned, take a hell of a lot of punishment and don't drop ammo, so any section that features them heavily is an exercise in watching your resource stockpiles dwindle.

e: Also want to say that, aesthetically, the level design here is incredible. On atmosphere alone it's blown 2063 out of the water.

e2: The difference between 2063 and Afterglow feels a lot like the difference between Hedon 1 and Hedon Bloodrite, actually. I don't know if this second hub is going to be some ridiculous six/seven hour epic the way Paradise Lost was but it would not surprise me. I wonder if there was some cross-pollination there or if it's just parallel evolution.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I am having a better time of it after having to restart because saves don't carry over between updates (uh, heads up about that lol) but overall I still think it's kind of rough. Hard agree on the mutant enemies. They weren't so bad in the first episode, mostly because they all went down in one shotgun blast, which meant their danger came in numbers and cornering you. Something as simple as making even the basic mutant guy take two shotgun blasts feels like the combat encounters with them are completely off. Then there's the big burly guys that just take. So. Much. Punishment.

And yeah, even according to the mod author the gun enemies aren't hitscanners but, as stated above, the projectiles are so fast they might as well be.

Level design just isn't as strong to me this time around. They're huge without enough landmarks to get your bearings and the default Doom map doesn't really help that much because of all the detail it shows.

On the positives I can't deny the sheer amount of craftsmanship that's gone into the thing, it's seriously impressive. Also the soundtrack absolutely RULES. I like the redrawn weapon graphics too. I'll withold my final judgement until I finish the thing, I've got one more section before I get back to the place I was at before the latest update. I could just be being a grumpy dork, lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK Realm of the Stonemasons kind of stinks, particularly the second level. Reminds me more of DOPA.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 26, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was Vores' projectile tracking as ridiculous at release, or is that a side effect of higher framerate, similar to Descent's enemy heatseekers?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mordja posted:

Was Vores' projectile tracking as ridiculous at release, or is that a side effect of higher framerate, similar to Descent's enemy heatseekers?

It’s independent of frame rate. The projectile speed was actually way higher during development until Romero got so mad at dying from them that he overruled Sandy and slowed them down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can confirm your framerate doesn't matter as when I drop to the single digits playing Quake they still follow you to kill you like a horror themed power-point

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Mordja posted:

OK Realm of the Stonemasons kind of stinks, particularly the second level. Reminds me more of DOPA.
The episode 3 levels were all designed by Jerk Gustafsson, who did indeed design all of the dopa maps. I think mg3m2 is one of the best maps in the set though, nice trap setpieces and a lot of decent fights. The rerelease lighting looks real nice in that episode too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

It’s independent of frame rate. The projectile speed was actually way higher during development until Romero got so mad at dying from them that he overruled Sandy and slowed them down.

you mean the vore and spawn overload at the end of episode 4 could have been worse? :stonk:

i'm not even mad about daikatana now. you did us a great service, john romero

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The projectile moves at 350ups on nightmare difficulty, which is faster than the player's base movement speed (320ups) and leads to some frantic efforts to get rid of them. Not in the rerelease though, they removed that feature when overhauling nightmare. Booo!

It makes sense to make the projectiles much better at homing than a revenant in the context of quake though. Vores are slow to the point of being basically immobile and the projectiles only do 40 damage each. They're also very easily distracted with the more naïve infighting implementation and are very sparsely used in the base maps.

koren fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 26, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

koren posted:

The episode 3 levels were all designed by Jerk Gustafsson, who did indeed design all of the dopa maps. I think mg3m2 is one of the best maps in the set though, nice trap setpieces and a lot of decent fights. The rerelease lighting looks real nice in that episode too.

He's well named.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing Ashes 2063 Ep 1 Enriched Ed. and I'm enjoying it a lot. The first levels were good, but level 5 (the metro and related underground caverns) was ~great~. Moody, tense, thrilling in parts, with more side areas and secrets, and cool new (and scary) enemies. And great music.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That's DOM done. The last two worlds are a return to form and feature some real nice visuals to boot. The whole Episode must have been at least a little inspired by Amid Evil, right? Anyways, I have mixed feelings on the last boss. Kind of clever but also kind of a chore, especially when you're just making circles to get the same, respawning lightning gun ammo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Turbo Overkill's started its press cycle, having sent a demo to a bunch of outlets. According to the PCGamer article, it'll be released episodically with the first one coming out next year.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Force Reboot demo

https://ln404.itch.io/force-reboot

https://www.alphabetagamer.com/force-reboot-alpha-demo/

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1452920388946694146/pu/vid/960x720/44qZ0MnuKPqZNfSX.mp4?tag=12

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That screen shake looks awful.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Something I wasn't expecting from Ashes Afterglow: yo this poo poo is straight up a full length game?? I wish I could track my gameplay time but it's def been a few hours now, I think I might be nearing the end but it's hard to tell (the pacing's kinda all over the place). Progression wise this really reminds me of the first Rage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1453116281222320128?t=jmFtHIOcxtNDRFRJCPtJfw&s=19

Can't wait to play a demo or early access or whatever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Surprising nobody, Shadow Warrior 3's been delayed into next year.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

I can confirm your framerate doesn't matter as when I drop to the single digits playing Quake they still follow you to kill you like a horror themed power-point
Was this from running it on a 486DX or something? Pentium 1 @ 640x480 in software mode?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Surprising nobody, Shadow Warrior 3's been delayed into next year.

Yeah I haven’t been following it too closely but I feel like they were supposed to release an update on the timeline back in August, and that never happened? At that point it seemed like a delay was inevitable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's that big upcoming Quake mod that looks pretty impressive and has new weapons and enemies and whatnot? There was a trailer for it a few months back.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Mjölnir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgBg2sEmqA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That's the one, cheers!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Done with Afterglow now. The second hub is, I think, not quite as good as the first- or maybe I'm just less taken with bombed out scrublands than I am bombed out city ruins. More impressive on the scripting end, though I thing some of that may have been bugged in the version I was playing.

Final boss: not as much as a "holy poo poo" moment as 2063's, but it's a considerably less obnoxious fight so I'll let it slide.

Roll on Ashes 3...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Was this from running it on a 486DX or something? Pentium 1 @ 640x480 in software mode?

Excuse you, I can run quake at 800x600 with the new textures on my rig at nearly 50fps. Its just when I get a lot of vore projectiles on screen, especially when they explode, it chugs hard. I had one explosion no joke reduce my screen to white then a sub 5 fps for a second or two

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 28, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Barudak posted:

Excuse you, I can run quake at 800x600 with the new textures on my rig at nearly 50fps. Its just when I get a lot of vore projectiles on screen, especially when they explode, it chugs hard. I had one explosion no joke reduce my screen to white then a sub 5 fps for a second or two

I'll bite, what are you playing on? Post your rig!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm using a computer from 2014 with integrated graphics that has a known lethal design flaw that the manufacturers repair program is "we trash it for you" that it has, beating all the odds, "recovered" from intermittently. Under high stress loads like "watching a 6 hours of netflix" it comes back and I have to re-entomb it in a cold space with its power off for a day to resurrect it or else it literally renders everything in double vision.

I am trapped this way because in Japan they are still charging nearly 2,000 dollars for a computer with a 1650 in it sometimes. There is no joke a computer I found where the current 3080 model in the US is nearly $4,000 cheaper than the previous model with a 2080 in it in Japan.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Yo, the patch to the console Quake remaster is EXCELLENT!!! (Specifically the ability to turn off aim acceleration.) If that person who's posted in here who worked on the game sees this, THANK YOU!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing Quake 1.5 now. It's a lot of meaty, messy fun, though I really should do something about Darkplace's blindingly incandescent lighting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

I'm using a computer from 2014 with integrated graphics that has a known lethal design flaw that the manufacturers repair program is "we trash it for you" that it has, beating all the odds, "recovered" from intermittently. Under high stress loads like "watching a 6 hours of netflix" it comes back and I have to re-entomb it in a cold space with its power off for a day to resurrect it or else it literally renders everything in double vision.

I am trapped this way because in Japan they are still charging nearly 2,000 dollars for a computer with a 1650 in it sometimes. There is no joke a computer I found where the current 3080 model in the US is nearly $4,000 cheaper than the previous model with a 2080 in it in Japan.

Couldn't you just buy a computer from the US and have it imported to you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Couldn't you just buy a computer from the US and have it imported to you?

I have started looking into it but, also, technically this PC still runs Quake so its hard to convince myself to upgrade. *640x480 Prodeus like god intended.

I no joke ran doom 320x240 on some bigger wads as otherwise it crashes.

*I can run Prodeus in 800x600 buuut it causes visible tearing and various lighting issues to appear to the point where if you use custom blue lights the graphics go buck wild. Also the latest level is too much for my computer even then and it dies.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 28, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Yo, the patch to the console Quake remaster is EXCELLENT!!! (Specifically the ability to turn off aim acceleration.) If that person who's posted in here who worked on the game sees this, THANK YOU!

Rocket Pan posts in here and yes, the patch is just amazing.

I tried last night to play on PS4 with mouse and keyboard and could rebind the keys perfectly making it a 1:1 experience compared to my PC (minus the wide selection of resolutions).

I did test the other crazy: I used to play Unreal (back in '98 and '99) with a gamepad for analog moving and jumping (trigger) and mouse for aiming and weapon swapping and works with Quake om PS4 :neckbeard:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

Rocket Pan posts in here and yes, the patch is just amazing.

I tried last night to play on PS4 with mouse and keyboard and could rebind the keys perfectly making it a 1:1 experience compared to my PC (minus the wide selection of resolutions).

I did test the other crazy: I used to play Unreal (back in '98 and '99) with a gamepad for analog moving and jumping (trigger) and mouse for aiming and weapon swapping and works with Quake om PS4 :neckbeard:

Now play it on a Switch Lite with a keyboard and mouse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

I have started looking into it but, also, technically this PC still runs Quake so its hard to convince myself to upgrade. *640x480 Prodeus like god intended.

I no joke ran doom 320x240 on some bigger wads as otherwise it crashes.

*I can run Prodeus in 800x600 buuut it causes visible tearing and various lighting issues to appear to the point where if you use custom blue lights the graphics go buck wild. Also the latest level is too much for my computer even then and it dies.

I'd say just go for it as you'll have less headaches in the long run, I should have done an upgrade back in 2018 when I had a job for a couple months but like an idiot I was frivolous with the money I had from it and that's been biting me in the rear end as my 2010 era laptop is definitely showing it's age, thankfully between me starting a new job on Sunday, a very generous birthday gift of money from my dad, and Amazon recently starting a new variation on payment plans means I'll be having a decently good new laptop by the end of next month at the latest probably(possibly as soon as the end of next week)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Barudak posted:

drat, that sucks. NGL, I was actually genuinely hoping it'd be a 486DX or Pentium, 486DXes and Pentiums are cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

drat, that sucks. NGL, I was actually genuinely hoping it'd be a 486DX or Pentium, 486DXes and Pentiums are cool.

There are times I am confident a 486 could out perform this thing.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say just go for it as you'll have less headaches in the long run, I should have done an upgrade back in 2018 when I had a job for a couple months but like an idiot I was frivolous with the money I had from it and that's been biting me in the rear end as my 2010 era laptop is definitely showing it's age, thankfully between me starting a new job on Sunday, a very generous birthday gift of money from my dad, and Amazon recently starting a new variation on payment plans means I'll be having a decently good new laptop by the end of next month at the latest probably(possibly as soon as the end of next week)

Congrats on everything lining up and your soon-to-be new PC.

I'll join you once I figure out how the hell to do international shipping with insurance on one of these because while typing this up I found a computer with 8 gig ram, i7, 1650 ti going for almost 3 thousand USD in Japan. There is a laptop labled as "for gaming" that has only an integrated graphics card going for over 1,000 USD.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

The way god intended

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Mouse looks like a G502, what keyboard is that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DUSK PC and Ultrakill updates dropping today

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1453684363179139078