Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my roommate drive 4 hours home to clean her fish tank because I'm pissed she adopted a dog while filming on location?

So she has a cat and a fish that the owns but doesn't take care of and is adding a dog to that?

Maybe grow a spine and tell her she can't have animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

So she has a cat and a fish that the owns but doesn't take care of and is adding a dog to that?

Maybe grow a spine and tell her she can't have animals.

Probably too busy plinking

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Adopting a pet you can’t properly care for then expecting everyone else to do the work is a huge rear end in a top hat move.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

teen witch posted:

That's a rough one.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Content courtesy of r/Dogfree

My wife wants a dog!!

quote:

Created a throw away account as my wife and I both use Reddit.

My wife (36) has never shown any interest in dogs. But now, all of a sudden in the space of the last year has decided our family needs one!

I think the catalyst was two events. One, reconnecting with her family who she has been estranged from. They have a farm and keep lots of dogs, some for working and some as pets. Two, her best friend got a COVID puppy.

When we reconnected with her family we started going out to the property with our kids. I have kept the kids away from the working dogs who just seem mean and dangerous and are kept in large kennels away from the house. But the family has three "house dogs" that are allowed to roam wherever they please. It's disgusting. My daughters (12 & 9) and my son (7) have all fallen in love with these disgusting dogs and roll on the floor with them. I caught my 9 year old trying to sleep in the dog bed with one! And my MIL let one sleep on the bed with my daughters after I had gone to sleep!

My wife was getting annoyed with me being so strict and we have had several fights out there.

We have not been out for awhile due to lockdowns. But meanwhile my wife's best friend has gotten a dog that goes on walks with them. And my wife had been coming home telling me how "good" and "obedient" the dog is and how it would be nice to have a dog around. She has told me a dog would make a good exercise buddy for her as she likes to run and hike alone sometimes. She has also said it would be good to help teach the kids responsibility and other such BS.

This has been going on since Christmas last year which we spent with her family

Well this morning before I left for work I told her that we were not getting a dog and it was the end of the conversation.

She has then text me after I left the house that the conversation is over because she put a deposit on a puppy! I don't think she actually has, she has to be bluffing, it doesn't seem like her to do something like that without my agreement. But also we have been arguing about it for nearly a year so maybe she just decided to take matters into her own hands.

I don't know what to do. My wife is very stubborn and if she has put a deposit down she will follow through and bring a dog home. I am scared for the safety of my kids and our health. But if she hasn't put a deposit down I think the fighting is going to keep going.

Imagine! An amazing marriage being ruined by dogs!

To clarify. I am not scared of dogs. I just don't like them as they are unclean, smell and are a burden. I am however scared of what dogs can do to children.

TL;DR: my wife and I have been fighting for nearly 12 months because she suddenly wants a dog.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the puppy has covid???

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

That's a rough one.

I’m still wildly baffled at the whole situation. Like I’ll be watching tv and the term “plinking” and “nepotism” float through my head

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

teen witch posted:

Bob Barker will not be disparaged in this way

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my roommate drive 4 hours home to clean her fish tank because I'm pissed she adopted a dog while filming on location?

I'm usually all for communication, but I think this situation calls for taking some weekend excursions and nights out. They should also call the local SPCA or whatever if the cat or dog is doing poorly. Shared households just aren't a great place keeping animals :smith:

Assuming the OP isn't in a position to give their roommate notice to leave, because that's the obvious solution here.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

Content courtesy of r/Dogfree

My wife wants a dog!!

I should have known reddit would have a support group for me. I specifically avoided installing a fence because that's a gateway to having a dog.

My wife got a text from a friend asking if she would go with her to the airport a few states away. Turns out she adopted a dog from Korea and wanted help bringing it back. My wife held the puppy on the ride back and when it didn't seem to get along with the friend's previous dog, she was asked if she would adopt it instead. We were about to go on vacation, so we hit the pause button on dogs. Puppy was fine by the time we got back, but the damage was done. I now have a fence and two dogs.

Note: Apparently in Korea they only like purebred dogs, so there's a non-profit international adoption agency to distribute the mutts that would otherwise end up being euthanized. Also, the friend is Korean and her last dog was her last connection to Korea, so the story gets less weird as more details are added.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

1 (20M) sent my girlfriend (20F) a post and then panicked and asked her to ignore it

quote:

So I (20M) sent my girlfriend (20F), who I have been dating for the last 4 months an excerpt from a book, which reads -

"It is a measure of how satisfied we are with the offerings of the spouse. The dissatisfied seek satisfaction elsewhere;" said Vishwamitra. "| shall always strive to find all my satisfaction in a single wife"; declared Ram. "What if your wife does not find satisfaction in you?" asked Vishwamitra, eager to hear the response of the prince. But it was a princess who responded. "If she is wise, she will accommodate the inadequacy. If he is wise, he will strive to grow", said Sita, still looking at Ahilya and the hesitant tenderness of Gautama.

I wrote "This does reeks too much of us". As she said something similar to the last line of the excerpt a few days back. But after a while I got scared and asked her to ignore it, which she did apparently.

So did I send something really strong and off putting too soon?

TL;DR I am scared that I sent something too strong and off putting to my girlfriend too soon.

If you thought weebs were annoying, check out this Siddhartha nerd.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WaywardWoodwose posted:

When he left the band did they hit him with a shovel and throw him into a woodchipper? I heard the producer made almost all the former members into dogfood menudo......

It was right there

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 28, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My girlfriend [32F] is mad that I [30F] don't want to play video games

quote:

I’ve never really been super into video games. When I was younger, I would play stuff like Mario Party and Pokemon with my cousins and siblings. My brother currently works for Nintendo and is always up to date with the latest news in everything video game related, it seems. So it’s not as if I haven’t been exposed to the “right game” or anything like that. I appreciate video games and a part of me wishes I could get into them more because there are some that seem to have fantastic storylines…but I just don’t. I’ve attempted to play every single Zelda and Kingdom Hearts game, a couple of Final Fantasy’s (my brother has them all) and I’ve only managed to finish OOT.

My girlfriend used to play a ton of video games. She and her best friend would have LAN parties or just play together online. When we first started dating, she said to me “How weird, you’re the only person I’ve ever dated who isn’t a gamer!”. She continued to play video games occasionally with her best friend and her brother for a bit, but I think the last time she seriously played a video game was maybe 2 years ago? She would bring it up in conversation sometimes that since switching jobs a couple of years ago, she hasn’t really wanted to play video games as much. Her new career is one where she is in front of the computer all day, so the last thing she wants to do when she gets home is sit in front of a screen (her own words). In fact, her gaming laptop broke ages ago and she still hasn’t gotten a new one. If she needs a computer at home for whatever, she’ll use my laptop.

I don’t play video games, but I never once discouraged her from playing. If she was playing online with her friend, I’ll just sit on the couch and read a book. She bought a Switch, but only used it for a couple of weeks and then stopped because the Zelda game was too difficult. We would sometimes play Mario Kart together.

A few days ago, I got the chance at work to try out new virtual reality software that my company wants to get into. I’m in a design field, so it was pretty much just CAD in VR. I thought it was a lot of fun and seeing my designs in 3D was just so cool. I told my girlfriend about it and that’s when she freaked out at me. She was mad because in the last 4 years I would say that I do not want to play video games, yet I have the best time with it when I do it at work. I didn’t consider what I did at work to be a ‘video game’ but she said it pretty much is since it uses the same VR headset as video games do.

She also accused me of playing video games in the past and then getting bored after 20 minutes. I don’t see how that’s a bad thing… I tried to play games but it’s not my fault if it doesn’t hold my interest. I love reading, but if I read 2 chapters of a book and I wasn’t into it, I’m not going to force myself to read the whole thing, am I? I also pointed out to her that she doesn’t even have a working laptop to play, no new games, she hasn’t played any games since 2 years ago. She then called me selfish because she says I don’t want to do things with her, but have a blast doing it with other people.

I asked her for an example of this (other than the VR for work thing) and she brought up the gym. She wants to go to the gym at 7am on Sunday mornings and wants me to go with her. I tried that for a few months…but just, no. I don’t want to. I do go to the gym, but I work in an office that has a massive gym that I can use for free. I go during my lunch breaks M-F. I don’t work out with anybody, in fact, I use the gym as my alone time where I don’t have to think about work and I can listen to podcasts.

Other info: We live together and do date night 2x a week

This argument has come up 3 times in the last two weeks. I tried looking up some video games that maybe we could play together but either it sounds super boring to me or it sounds super lame to her. I don’t understand why she just doesn’t play video games on her own and it can be her hobby.

TL;DR: girlfriend is mad that I don’t enjoy video games and don’t want to play with her. We already do many other things together and also she doesn’t play games that much anymore anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

I am tired of earth. These people. Of being caught up in the tangle of their lives.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Bramble posted:

1 (20M) sent my girlfriend (20F) a post and then panicked and asked her to ignore it

If you thought weebs were annoying, check out this Siddhartha nerd.

weabuddhist

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s not about the games and it’s definitely the OP being a loner. Great, you like to read. Solo activity. Okay your GF wants to go the gym. Nope “I have my own gym where I can do my own thing” Okay so that’s out. You have date nights but what about casual activities you do together? It sounds more to me that’s what the GF is looking for.

Maybe try communicate and see if it’s actually about the games. Cause it’s not about the games.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for exposing my parents' favoritism

quote:

My parents have always favored my younger brother. I was by no means unloved. But it was blatantly obvious who they cared about more. I worked a part time job to get my first car, but my brother got one as a present. It wasn't new, but was much newer than my car. It was the same with just about anything else, like clothes, video games and cell phones.

I'm 18 and am taking a gap year before community college to work a full time job and save money for tuition. But a while back I heard my parents talking about how much they were going to pay for my brother's tuition. I secretly recorded the conversation from around the corner and then came out asking my parents why they were gonna pay for my brother's college, but not mine. They didn't notice my phone was recording and just said that my brother needs more help. I asked how so when I wasn't getting any sort of scholarship, and he likely wouldn't either. Then I asked a few more questions about why things have always been this way. They got mad and my father told me that perhaps it's time I moved out because they are sick of keeping a roof over my head. I pointed out I pay rent. But they didn't care.

I left the room and in a fit of rage uploaded the video to two different social medias I have and ranted about how this is how my parents have always been. Well a few hours my parents were pounding at my door. My dad was screaming at me about how I made them look bad. We fought some more and they left the room fuming.

My grandparents contacted me later and said they were appalled, then came to visit with a lot of the family the next day. There was a huge family intervention and my parents were made to sit on the couch and look at their feet while being told off. It was then I found out they'd been receiving money for years from my grandparents to help with family expenses. My brother looked like he didn't know what to do. So he sided with the rest of the family and said he's noticed how I'm treated as well. My parents gave me a huge apology that sounded forced.

My grandparents have offered that I come live with them soon and will cut off the monthly payments to my parents, my father told me I should have never told the rest of the family and now won't talk to me, and my mother has been crying for days. So I'm starting to wonder if I went to far.

So AITA for exposing my parents favoritism?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Double posting for dad of the year here:

AITA for not congratulating my daughter on cleaning her room?

quote:

My daughter Alyssa is 5. Every night my wife and I go through the same routine of reminding her to pick up her toys and tidy up her room before dinner. I came home late, just right before dinner, and my wife is smiling and whispers, "Alyssa has something to show you." My daughter grabs my hand and pulls me to her room and said, "Look!"

I said, "What am I looking at?"

She said, "My room! I cleaned it all by myself and Mommy didn't even have to tell me to!"

I said, "That's it? I thought you were going to show me something important. Sweetie, cleaning your room is what you're supposed to do. Nobody has to tell you to do that. You just do it. And make sure to do this every night. I'm going to take a shower."

I went to go take a shower and while I'm in the shower my wife comes in and says, "Hey, what happened?" I said, "What are you talking about?" She said, "Alyssa is crying and she won't talk to me. Did she show you her room?" I said, "Yeah." She said, "Aaaaand?" I said, "And what? That's what she's supposed to do." Then my wife got all dramatic and said, "Oh my God, please don't tell me you said to her."

And then we got into an argument, while I'm in the shower mind you. All I wanted to do was come home, take a shower, eat dinner, and go to bed. Not deal with all this crap. My wife wanted me to apologize, but I told her I don't see what I have to apologize for.

After I took a shower, I came out to eat and to talk to Alyssa, but my wife (still in her bad mood) said that Alyssa had lost her appetite and then cried herself to sleep. Either my wife is overexaggerating, which she tends to do when she's in a bad mood and wants to make me feel bad, or Alyssa inherited her mother's dramaticness. Then she wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the night or even come to bed.

I don't feel bad because I know I'm right in this case. When did we start congratulating people on doing what they're supposed to do? I'm sorry to even bother you guys with this, but I just need confirmation that I'm not going insane.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zurtilik posted:

I'm calling fake just because gamer gf found Breath of the Wild "too difficult".

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Move out and never talk to your parents again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

time to do the 'ol 23andme with your brother

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Soylent Pudding posted:

Fukken A, kid.

Soylent Pudding posted:

And what a piece of poo poo.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Soylent Pudding posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm calling fake just because gamer gf found Breath of the Wild "too difficult".

I dunno, the early game is pretty hell when you got three health bars and can barely deal with more than one enemy at a time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Aldmeri Dominion out! Praise Talos! :argh:

Lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yeah fighting enemies early on sucked. I got my rear end kicked a bunch.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

im loving thrilled if my 6yo remembers to put jam back in the fridge after making a sandwich, someone needs to sit this dickhead down and explain what is age-appropriate and how to positively reinforce good behavior

a five year old remembering to pick up their room and then seeking approval for it? and getting brutally shot down? this is emotional abuse, drat. dad is treating child like a middling employee and not, you know, his beloved daughter

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

teen witch posted:

I’m still wildly baffled at the whole situation. Like I’ll be watching tv and the term “plinking” and “nepotism” float through my head

I think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

im loving thrilled if my 6yo remembers to put jam back in the fridge after making a sandwich, someone needs to sit this dickhead down and explain what is age-appropriate and how to positively reinforce good behavior

a five year old remembering to pick up their room and then seeking approval for it? and getting brutally shot down? this is emotional abuse, drat. dad is treating child like a middling employee and not, you know, his beloved daughter

Yeah it's not about fawning over them for doing the chore itself. It's about the developmental step of remembering and showing initiative and not needing to be explicitly told to do something. And that part is worth rewarding/reinforcing.

Thankfully she seems to have one functioning parent.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Permabanned poster DIPACstomper69 posted:

I think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Uncle Enzo posted:

hi im permabanned poster n-wordstomper58, and

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Soylent Pudding posted:

This broke brained rear end didn't get the memo that humans and other animals respond much better to positive reinforcement than fear of punishment. Don't scold when they do something wrong, encourage them when they do something right.

A 5yo tidying her own room is a goddamn miracle.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, the early game is pretty hell when you got three health bars and can barely deal with more than one enemy at a time.

You don't have to fight them...

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

That dad is an idiot. Praising literally any human, but especially a tiny one, for doing what they're supposed to do is a really simple and effective way of incentivising them to keep doing it!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I was about to ask how he handled potty training but I'm thinking king rear end in a top hat here wasn't even involved in that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Runcible Cat posted:

I definitely found it had a hurdle that could be discouraging right when you first leave the plateau, you have no real weapons and die pretty easily, even if there really aren’t any consequences to dying repeatedly.

That said if you can plug away away at it for a solid ~8 hours it gets really fun later, when you aren’t dying all the time and you can actually move around the map a bit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My dad was the same. Why bother thanking us or telling us we did a good job at chores when it was something he expected us to do anyway?

gently caress, years ago when I worked in the copy center, my boss had a week vacation, and a customer came in with a huge order. Like six grand of printing. My coworker and I busted our rear end to get it done, sending out what we could, and otherwise running it nonstop on our lovely two printers. Customer was thrilled, we were stoked, and when our boss came back, I proudly showed him the order.

"Oh that's nice, I pulled in that much on an order a few weeks ago. There's customers on the floor, go help them."

I didn't expect a loving parade, but even some fake gratitude would have been nice.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Soylent Pudding posted:

I half expected the part where the grandparents and rest of the family coming was going to be the OP just getting kicked more, but them tearing the parents a new one was a nice twist.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Stories like this always make me wonder how they got to this kid being 6 before him being a broken logic robot became an issue. Like, that guy has definitely been a piece of poo poo about other stuff like this before now, but he writes it as if his wife was blindsided that he might do this.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

John Paul Jones posted:

It is by no means enough that an officer should be capable. . . . He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor. . . . No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention, even if the reward be only one word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate.

Congrats to OP here for being harder on a child than a naval captain to a crew in the age of sail. What an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Y'all are just bad at Zelda, and that's ok.

OGDanDogg posted:

I should have known reddit would have a support group for me. I specifically avoided installing a fence because that's a gateway to having a dog.

It really isn't, much like childfree, it's become a massive parody of itself where they went from "I don't want a dog, it's not for me" to "DISGUSTING SLOBBERING MUTTS MUST ALL BE DESTROYED. I CAN'T STOP MY ERECTION FROM GROWING EVERY TIME I DRIVE PAST A KILL SHELTER". poo poo's wild yo, they act so put upon for dogs existing. I don't even like dogs that much, but yeah, those dudes on reddit are loving crazy.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Weak. You got everything you wanted, now bask in their pain, drink deep their tears.