Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Linus Tech Tips (who is more goon-adjacent, at least persona-wise)

what do you mea-- https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1444693732637380622?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1450351700154454016?t=jTaLPI8y078KtphOq2In4Q&s=19

My "KNITTER" t-shirt is raising lots of invoices already answered by my tshirt

That's what I was thinking of.

Someone tell me what's stopping dozens of us going out with a print out of someone we don't like's license plate and waving it at the nearest bus lane?

Clearly the penalties aren't audited by a human at any point in the system.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1450351700154454016?t=jTaLPI8y078KtphOq2In4Q&s=19

My "KNITTER" t-shirt is raising lots of invoices already answered by my tshirt
*looking at code* ah, you see it's because she used a hard R, so it entered what we call 'profiling mode'

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

That all sounds like such a loving ballache, I dunno how they can sell it as being more convenient or whatever (which of course is not actually why they're doing it)

For like 90% of 90% of people's trips, that sounds much easier, no queuing up or anything, you just walk in and out taking what you want as if it's your own kitchen or whatever.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYJqg4O3LU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it helps, it definitely wasn't the fatalities that moved the dial, it was the >£1bn cost of compensation for the South Quay and Manchester bombs. The fact that most people are surprised to learn that there were 2 fatalities at South Quay (and 3 a Baltic Exchange and 1 at Bishopsgate) and literally hundreds of injuries at each, many of them life-changing, is all you really need to know. The focus of all of the reporting was on the financial damage, not that a bunch of the servant class[1] died and were injured.

In fact it probably wasn't even that - it was widely believed that the IRA no longer had the capability (either in organisation or in laying hands on that much AN) to resume the "spectaculars" after the 1992/3 campaign had forced Major to the negotiating table. The fact the two 1996 bombs were both larger than the Baltic Exchange and Bishopsgate bombs [2] - the Manchester one larger by some distance - and some extremely worried reports from the RUC/MI5 that they had *literally no idea* that the IRA had supplies of AN in any great quantity so couldn't even guess how much more they had lying around was what forced them to the table.

(As it turns out, almost everyone involved now says that Manchester was quite so big because it was literally the last of their stock and it was more about keeping it all out of the hands of the various groups splintering off them)

[1] This isn't hyperbole either. The particular cruelty of the "spectacular" style of attack is that while most people are evacuated, a lot of people doing the menial jobs in the area don't get the message or are pressured to stay in place. 2 of the 3 deaths at Baltic Exchange were security guards, the 2 at South Quay were shop workers who wanted to cash up before leaving because they risked getting in poo poo if they didn't. Most of the wounded - especially for the two City bombs, because they were on Saturday - were likewise cleaners, street sweepers, delivery drivers, etc.
[2] I've got a story about one of the few deserving victims of those bombs which I'll tell once I'm certain the old bastard's dead (or if I ever run into any of you IRL).

i didn't even know there were injuries. i was going on the folklore version of an event i knew nothing about. i'd be the first to roll my eyes at the up the ra contingent of the thread for being ignorant fantasist dickheads and i did more or less the same thing. like a big stupid jim mcdonald DERPDERPDERPDERP like that :mad:

i've just made a right dickhead of myself, and i'm going to go away and reflect on it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think it's very important to be honest about when you've dropped a bollock

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

It's all fun and games till a neighbour gets his head blown off in bed by the UVF, he was in PIRA so "live by the sword, die by the sword" and all that.

I was watching "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" when i heard the shots, life is strange and oh so complicated. :shrug:

That is the type of crap the Tories risk bringing back to my home by putting the GFA & NIP in jeopardy with their silly little Brexit shenanigans.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

All storage in my single storey house is going to be in the loft, no wardrobes or kitchen cupboards or anything. Then I'm going to get one of those ocado warehouse robots to live up there. Whenever I want anything, anywhere in the house I'll just ask the Google or Alexa and the robot will fetch it and drop it straight into my hand from above.

"Tea, Earl Grey, hot"

*is admitted to hospital with 3rd degree burns*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Data was right, terrorism works

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

This is an incredibly laudable sentiment (and one that would reduce the size of the internet 90% if everyone abided by it).

Like I say don't beat yourself up *too* much - all of the contemporary reporting was about the financial cost, the injuries were just a number buried away at the bottom. The one that really sticks in my mind is the single death (who was also the only serious injury) from the Bishopsgate bombing, a photographer who snuck through the cordon to get pictures and was killed by falling glass from NatWest Tower. Nasty way to go, but the report literally spent more time on how much glass had been broken in the attack than on what that glass had fallen on.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Private Speech posted:

Here's a better video with the same idea from Linus Tech Tips (who is more goon-adjacent, at least persona-wise): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorkmWa7He8&t=665s

e: That's said the tampon thing is a bit dumb.

Someone goon-adjacent doing a dumb bit? Well, that's new.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/newsthump/status/1453742944490606597

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Data was right, terrorism works

Prior to the final bombing campaign, British military intelligence controlled the majority of the theatre in Northern Ireland, using embedded agents to control both sides to the point where they had undercover officers unknowingly murdering other undercover officers. So up until that point, terrorism was also working for the UK government.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I see the BBC have a new article up about how people are complaining about their previous article about trans people bullying lesbians saying actually it was a really great article.

The reporter seems to have deleted her twitter so I guess shes probably been cyber bullied there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was that the one where they quoted a cis woman saying that self ID is bad because predatory men would gain access to women's spaces, and then it turned out that the cis woman was a serial rapist, or was it a different one?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Was that the one where they quoted a cis woman saying that self ID is bad because predatory men would gain access to women's spaces, and then it turned out that the cis woman was a serial rapist, or was it a different one?

That's the one

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What the gently caress?

e: vvv Thanks for the link Skios. loving hell.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 28, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bullying works, and you can cyber bully from the toilet, it owns

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

fuctifino posted:

What the gently caress?

This has the receipts, both on her being a serial assaulter and her pressuring other performers into forgoing STD protection.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I would say I was surprised the BBC would platform someone like her... but.... :(

In other news, Article 16 is trending on twitter

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1453772535238217735

e: To balance out with a lol, was this noticed yesterday?

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1453430865514549250

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skios posted:

This has the receipts, both on her being a serial assaulter and her pressuring other performers into forgoing STD protection.

Okay this really confused me because the URL made me think it was an LGBAlliance website, not an anti-LGBAlliance website.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm guessing that's an SEO thing, with the people behind it hoping people will stumble across it when looking up "LGB Alliance".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Prior to the final bombing campaign, British military intelligence controlled the majority of the theatre in Northern Ireland, using embedded agents to control both sides to the point where they had undercover officers unknowingly murdering other undercover officers. So up until that point, terrorism was also working for the UK government.

Id be careful on this one. You’re basically signing up to the right wing view that “ha ha yes we controlled the IRA. It was basically just all British agents and that’s why they had to come to the table”

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I uploaded my most reason work of art. You lot seemed to appreciate so here it is. It’s about the least successful partisan group possibly of the entirety of WW2. The ADR sucks rear end but there wasn’t much getting round it in this case. Apart from that I’m quite happy with it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyKUuCPvlo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skios posted:

I'm guessing that's an SEO thing, with the people behind it hoping people will stumble across it when looking up "LGB Alliance".

Oh yeah it makes sense in that regard it just threw me for a loop.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

We just had parliament in Finland start debating a citizen's initiative on improving the trans legislation (there's plenty to fix) today, and surprise surprise, the national newspaper of record has an editorial directly referencing that BBC piece of poo poo piece this morning. I've been half expecting TERF talking points hitting the media here any time now, beyond some fringe social media personalities, but still it pisses me off to see it. What is worse, it feels your average reader is just lapping it up because the major newspaper still is felt pretty credible, and more than that BBC is felt like a very reliable thing to refer to.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Id be careful on this one. You’re basically signing up to the right wing view that “ha ha yes we controlled the IRA. It was basically just all British agents and that’s why they had to come to the table”

That's not the view I'm signing up to at all.To clarify, and in my understanding, the IRA leadership were pushing peace and stood down a lot of the actions, and for a brief time in the 90's, British military intelligence filled the vacuum and tried to keep up the narrative and the violence. That gave the govt the excuse to refuse the IRA a seat at any negotiating table, and that's when the IRA leadership decided to set off those bombs.

e: I know someone who worked in such an undercover unit, and his job was was a hitman, torturer and getaway driver. They did a lot of doorstep murders, and a significant number of those news reports in the late 80's and early 90's where "<Such and such> was shot dead on their doorstep. Paramilitaries are thought to have been involved." news headlines were state sanctioned murders carried out by such units.

Half his unit died on active service, and half a dozen of the survivors all mysteriously died of heart attacks in the same week when they announced they were about to whistleblow.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 28, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In other news, loving lol

https://twitter.com/bphillipsonMP/status/1453713505639567365

and lol

https://twitter.com/donnyc1975/status/1453295661915463681

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I would say I was surprised the BBC would platform someone like her... but.... :(

In other news, Article 16 is trending on twitter

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1453772535238217735

I've read all 14 lines of Article 16, what item exactly are they going to trigger it on... which will lead to a month of talking followed by more talking as it's a resolution procedure and not an emergency eject button.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just Another Lurker posted:

I've read all 14 lines of Article 16, what item exactly are they going to trigger it on... which will lead to a month of talking followed by more talking as it's a resolution procedure and not an emergency eject button.

I don't think words on paper matter anymore. My guess is that they are conditioning the gammon into accepting sanctions for breaking the NI protocol among other Brexit conditions, and labelling it up as though it is us who are in control or something.

"We chose this"
"YOU VOTED FOR THIS"
"THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED"

"TRIGGER THE ARTICLE 16!"

e: loving lol

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1453763529513869314

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 28, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I don't think words on paper matter anymore. My guess is that they are conditioning the gammon into accepting sanctions for breaking the NI protocol among other Brexit conditions, and labelling it up as though it is us who are in control or something.

"We chose this"
"YOU VOTED FOR THIS"
"THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED"

A truly valid point , i continually underestimate their ...... everything really..... what a bunch of wankers. :rolleyes:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1453814876942618632/

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

You would need an absolute army of people to program in the specific layouts for every single store that is like that and everything would need to be done perfectly on time too. I just cannot see it working out cheaper in the long run. A dumb fad yes, but I cannot see it working in most places. It doesn't make sense to take the rough and messy business of brick and mortar retail and then require it to run on precision.

Eh, they already keep track of where every single item is, at least down to the shelf level. They've been doing this since at least 2001 when I was working on Tesco home shopping. When they move stuff around they just have a little handheld scanner thing that scans the product code and then they used to just type in a code for the aisle number and shelf number - they probably just have it more automated than this now. I wouldn't be surprised that if they've got cameras tracking stuff or whatever it can just have them scan a code and then put the thing on the shelf and that's it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ah yes, because what drug dealers want most of all is attention

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

ah yes, because what drug dealers want most of all is attention

This story is just to fuel division within communities, with fuckwits thinking their antisocial neighbours who are setting off fireworks late are in fact dealing heroin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbh most people on heroin just want peace and quiet and not pop pop bang bang and now all the dogs are off again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

This story is just to fuel division within communities, with fuckwits thinking their antisocial neighbours who are setting off fireworks late are in fact dealing heroin.

More fool them, I already resent people who set off fireworks outside of about 4 days a year because it freaks the hell out of animals & that sucks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm lucky my dog doesn't seem too bothered by fireworks. People knocking at the door are terrifying murderers who must be repelled by screaming, and other dogs are absolutely unacceptable, but fireworks are just whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnieKNK/status/1453702338963779586